“Stayed January 2-9”
Review of Hotel Playa Coco

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cayo Coco
Hotel Playa Coco
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Reviewed January 22, 2014

My family and I recently went to this resort for a family vacation and overall, we had a great time. At first glance, the buildings could use some TLC, touch up paint, fix patches on roof etc and overall some chips in the tiles etc. by pool that could use some attention but we didn't let that detract from our vacation. The staff were great, friendly, you do tip a lot because it is Cuba and you feel like you should but didn't feel pressured to tip. The service could have been quicker at the Beach Grill restaurant but I didn't care much since we were on Island time. ;) We loved the pool, spacious, lots of loungers available, the kids had a great time whenever we went to the pool. The beach was amazing, beautiful white sand, turquoise waters, just breathtaking and there was lots of space for everyone on this beach. We took a snorkeling trip out for about 2 hours and my son & I enjoyed so much. Food was pretty good; lots of variety & choices, you won't love everything but you will find stuff to eat. Tip: take your own condiments b/c ketchup etc. doesn't taste same as home. This resort is very close to the airport which is a plus.
The bartender Giovanni by the pool was wonderful; welcoming & very friendly, great service! Our server in the Japanese a la carte was great; he was friendly & entertaining. Our room was clean, always freshened up daily. For the price we paid, we were happy with the trip. On the downside, If you are going for nightly entertainment, wouldn't recommend here, not great shows at all and if you have young kids & want a kids club, wouldn't recommend here either, kids club is virtually non existant and not very stimulating anyway.
We would definitely go back to this resort if the price was right!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
10  Thank Samara36
Hiram V, General Manager at Hotel Playa Coco, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Hello Samara36,
Thank you very much for reviewing your stay in Playa Coco and for the good remarks on our services. We are doing some maintenance work such as painting and plumbing; you will notice the difference in your next visit. Anyways, thank you so much for the suggestions and your tips to other travelers. It’s a shame we didn’t meet your expectations concerning kids club and night entertainment, we are working on those issues too so that guests won’t be disappointed. I’m sorry for the inconveniences this may have caused; it is always good to get feed back from customers. Thank you very much for your review.
Hiram Valle Simón

Write a ReviewReviews (2,146)

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Food was terrible, practically not edible in my opinion. The resort is run down, cleaning is substandard. Ran out of ice everyday along with other food items. Couldn't even cook pasta well enough, some days it was so tough you couldn't eat it. Once a dish was empty in the buffet they didn't replenish.
Didn't replenish coffee in the rooms and only supply one cup in the first place. Only time empty water bottles were removed is when they were put in the garbage pail in bathroom. There was no hot water for a shower until the 5th day into our vacation so showers were barely luke warm.
The No-seeum bug ate me alive. I returned home with red welts on all skin exposed and that is with using bug spray. Resort didn't spay to keep them away.
Only positive is that most of the staff is pleasant and helpful and the beach is very nice. If my friend had not brought Benedryl with her I might have mortgaged my home to get the hell out of there.

Room Tip: If you still are going to this resort, make sure you bring Benedryl, calamine lotion and plenty of s...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
7  Thank Donna M

Dear Donna M,

Thank you very much for reviewing your stay with us and for your good remarks on our staff and beach. I’m sorry we didn’t meet the expectations you had when you decided to book with us. We are taking action on every issue you quoted and on every suggestion our Quality Manager receives from surveys. You are welcome to come back anytime, I hope it won’t be a disappointment. Thank you so much again.

Best regards,

Reviewed January 20, 2014

there were issues with the patio door in the first room but they changed our room to an ocean view very quickly. Maid service was efficent . The food at buffet was exellent .the a la carte restaraunts were ok

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank John P

Hi John P,

Thank you very much for your nice review, we all really appreciate your opinion and hope you will return. It will be a pleasure for us to welcome you whenever you decide to return.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Stayed in the green building (9000s) with my husband & kids, ages 12 & 10 Jan. 1-8. Beach was superb - enjoyed the free catamaran rides and paddleboat rides and did some snorkeling. My son enjoyed beach volleyball.

We really enjoyed the Cuban musicians who serenaded us in the restaurants and on the beach. Unfortunately the piano in the lobby lounge badly needs tuning - I felt bad for the piano player. We only went to two outdoor shows - they were OK but they really need a covered area for shows.

The hotel grounds are rundown and the rooms need maintenance. We changed rooms because the moldy smell was horrible. There was also no A/C in our room and it was hot & humid. Our 2nd room wasn't moldy but we were always on the phone about other stuff, safe wouldn't open 2X, burnt out lightbulbs, bed caved in bottom, no bedspread for 2 days & bottled water wasn't replaced. There were even holes in the bedsheets. Housekeeping didn't do a great job of cleaning. We heard that the yellow and pink buildings by the beach were in better shape; the others are closed during the slow summer season which explains the mold.

The grass and gardens were overgrown & the mini-golf and tennis courts needed maintenance to improve the overall appearance. There was an indoor pool table in the disco but this wasn't open during the day and the room looked dirty and rundown. Public washrooms often had no soap or hand dryers & sometimes doors wouldn't close properly

The food in the buffet was so-so. Long lineups at the omelet and pasta bars. I was disappointed with the overcooked seafood but the a la cartes were better, esp. the Japanese. I celebrated my birthday had got a very tasty cake for 5 CUC. The buffet was hot & stuffy & smelled of grease so we usually ate outside. It needs ceiling fans or A/C & I wondered how the food could stay fresh sitting out in these conditions. I came home with traveller's diarrhea but the rest of my family of OK.

The BBQ at the beach served up pretty good chicken, fish rice and veggies. There was a 24 hr. snack bar with very greasy fried food and a beer garden. Horrible service for lunch in the restaurant by the beach - took 2 hours to get served so we never returned.

The staff were generally friendly and helpful - the public relations staff in the lobby were esp. good. Drinks were very good but served in very small, flimsy glasses. Make sure you bring your empty water bottle to the bar or restaurant for a refill because housekeeping usually doesn't replace them and it's not easy to get fresh bottles. I was also surprised that our Sunwing rep. told us the water is potable. Everyone else advised against drinking the water.

I loved the beaches in Cayo Coco but am in no rush to return to Cuba. For a small amount more, you can get a much nicer resort with better food in the Mayan Riviera.

Room Tip: Upgrade to pink or yellow ocean view or stay elsewhere - beware of mold!
Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank Alabamamama44
Hiram V, General Manager at Hotel Playa Coco, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Hello Alabamamama44,
Thank you very much for reviewing your stay in Playa Coco. Receive our immense gratitude for what you said about our staff and beach services. I am sorry for the inconveniences you had with your room, we try our best to keep them well maintained and in the proper conditions. You will be warmly welcome next time you decide to come visit. Thank you so much on behalf of the Management and staff and we all hope to see you back in the near future.
Respectfully,

Reviewed January 18, 2014

We had a lovely time here which was our wedding holiday. Staff were lovely and couldn't do enough for us. The weather was nice, beech was lovely, food great and pool was excellent. Watch the crabs, there killers.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
8  Thank scott-adele-megan

Dear scott-adele-megan,

Thank you so much for choosing Playa Coco as your honeymoon destinations. It makes us happy that you regard it as a PARADISE. You are welcome to return for your renewal of vows!

Reviewed January 16, 2014

Where do I start??
1st trip to Cuba, but will not be our last!! If you have any doubts about trying Cuba, please take the plunge and visit Hotel Playa on the island of Cayo Coco. This was our 1st trip to Cuba, but we are experienced all inclusive travellers with 6 other trips to Jamaica and Mexico.

Our room was fantastic!!(4312)...the best ocean view room you could imagine! We asked for an ocean view room, with a king bed and a cot for our son. After the flawless check in, we went to our room and were amazed by the view, nice size to the room, and exactly what we asked for was provided.

We were worried about the food quality and variety before we went. All I can say is that the food that is provided is good quality for us. My 12 yr old son was happy with every meal! The beach bar restaurant offered simple, but good good. There is a beach grill that was fish, chicken, pork, salad, rice and even lobster(although you pay a few peso for lobster). Our favorite for lunch was the beer garden. Check out my picture of a burger and fries....yummy stuff!!

I will pick on a couple of things Hotel Playa could improve on.... the lobby bar is such a beautiful, relaxing setting for a drink or 2 before supper, but the service is very slow. Happy hour from 4:00 only has 1 waiter sometimes. We sat down, waited about 5 - 10 minutes(the usual), then I would get up, go to the bar to order our drinks(because the waiter just has to many guests to look after)...the bar tender the other day took my order and said it would be 10 minutes...to me that is not great...
I would like to see posted signs for the bars and restaurants saying what time service is available also. All week we were there, I could never figure out when this or that was open. We actually sat in the beach grill restaurant for about 20 minutes without service. This was after I asked the waiter if they were open. After 20 minutes, we just went to the beer gardens for lunch. No big deal for us, but, I imagine some people would be furious.

My last suggestion is that the night entertainment could start a little earlier. 9:30 is pretty late compared to other places we have been. We only attended a couple of shows due to the time. Show quality is great!! Especially the water show!! Simply amazing!!

Now to our favorite part....the people....Every person we met that, including workers, people in Moron, and other guests were great!! Here is a shout out to Alex and his bird Kathrine(wrong spelling but awesome bird). Thank you Alex for your friendship you showed us!! You made us feel like long time friends!!

Our biggest thank you goes to Nisbel!! Thank you my dear friend!! You are a gentleman and a huge asset to the hotel. We will return to Hotel Playa simply because of you! If you change hotels, we will follow you. This man not only provided us with outstanding service in the buffet, but provided us with the warmest, most genuine friendship possible. I cannot wait to return and visit you again!! We will spend some off work time together. Thank you my brother!!

Room Tip: The pink and yellow buildings have beautiful ocean front views.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Marty F

Dear Guest,
On behalf of Management and staff, I wanted to extend my appreciation to you for reviewing your recent stay in our hotel and for regarding it as the perfect family trip. Receive our gratitude for all the sincerity in your comment and for your warmth towards our workers, especially to Nisbel and Alex. It is always good to get feedback from customers and when their comments are positive and full of good will, it is even better. Thank you so much again and you are welcome to return.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

My friend and I and our 2 sons ( age 21) all enjoyed our week at this hotel. We arrived Dec 27th and sadly left on the 3rd of January. I loved the wonderful buffets and the friendly staff and felt every safe there. The evening shows were fun. Lots of families there. Enjoying a week of total relaxation with beautiful sun, surf and sand..what more could you ask for.... and the price was affordable!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank mishka33
Hiram V, General Manager at Hotel Playa Coco, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2014

Dear mishka33,
It was a real pleasure to read your review commenting on well you enjoyed your stay in our hotel along with your family and friend. Thank you for all choosing us to spend New Year’s Eve. On behalf on the staff I wish you all the best in this 2014. You will be welcome whenever you decide to return to our House.
Best regards,

#8 of 12 in Cayo Coco
Pullman Cayo Coco
Pullman Cayo Coco
#2 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to Hotel Playa Coco? Share your experiences!