“Awesome first experience of Cuba!!”
Review of Hotel Playa Coco

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cayo Coco
Hotel Playa Coco
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This was my first time ever to Cuba and I went there not expecting much, I mean for a $500 trip its not realistic to expect a 5 star Canadian experience. I was beyond impressed by my whole experience and will definitely be going back in the future. For me what made the trip was definitely the beach and the people. Simply put the beach was AMAZING! clean and beautiful and since we went in low season, there was always lots of room. So many amazing people work there as well. Alex in the lobby bar amazing, Osman in the poolside bar was amazing as well. They also make an effort to always keep the guests entertained. There are daily entertainment shows at night which showcase some really talented individuals. One thing to say is that the food is ok. I was worried going to Cuba because i had constantly heard that the food is not all that good and I'm a really picky eater so if I found it ok then there is hope for everyone else! PS. please please do not forget to bring bug spray!! you will enjoy the nights sooo much more with that stuff on.

Room Tip: Pink building with the beach view was amazing!
5  Thank momo k
Write a ReviewReviews (2,150)

Reviewed July 12, 2013

I'll keep this short and simple. I stayed in Playa Coco May 31st - June 7th and traveled with a group of four friends. This is my third time in Cuba and I've stayed in 5, 4 and 3 star resorts. Prior arriving I messaged Dani the booking agency my room request and was granted the request immediately upon arrival. Mind you it was low season and we probably only had 30+ people on the resort. Food wasn't the greatest but it was all edible..a la cartes is probably your best option. The staff were all very friendly and welcoming like most people have already stated. No major complaints here except the mosquitoes that ate me alive. The highlight of my trip was the jeep excursion that I highly recommend. Overall I enjoyed my stay, I'm not too picky and I've been to Cuba before and for the price I paid it was worth it. My only advice is to go Hotel Playa Coco if you are looking for a relaxing getaway.

Room Tip: Yellow building, highest floor (no elevators though) for best possible view
5  Thank P T
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Spent a week at this resort from June 13 to June 22. Had a great time. The beach is absolutely beautiful and you could walk a great distance which was nice. Stayed in the yellow building with a view of the ocean. Rooms were clean although when we first arrived our room had a musty smell and our sink was broke but they had no trouble moving us the next day when another became available. The food at the buffet was ok. They had a pasta station which was delicious and the a la carte restaurants were as well. The beer garden always had cold beer and at certain times when the buffet was closed served deep fried chicken and fish which was really good. My only complaint was the mosuitos...be sure to bring fly repellant!! I have been to Cuba a few times and have never seen mosquitos like I saw here..... maybe it was the time of year. The staff were always friendly especially Michael at the swim up bar and George at the beer garden. For the price we paid, I think the resort was great and would return again.

Room Tip: Yellow building, ocean view.
2  Thank Linda C
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Well this was our 2nd time at this resort due to the fact the first time was incredible , we wanted to see if we repeated the same resort if we would have just a good of time . Well no words can describe how unbelievable incredible it was to be treated like family . It felt good to walk in and everyone recognized us. We could not believe that after 1 year being away , we were welcomed with open arms.
We travelled jun-15-21. I have to say to people who complain about this resort or about Cuba , maybe should not go. It is a Cuba for pete's sake not Aruba, or any other carribean island, if you want that kind of vacation then go there. Cuban people work hard for nothing to serve us and make us enjoy our vacation. I have been to many upscale islands and by far Cuba is my favourite, because I feel safe and welcome. They get to know you , they recognize you and that is part of their Job.
Food may not be everyone's fancy but guess what YOUR not gonna starve, there is always something .
The beach at this resort is the best by far as you can walk right in and not have to walk over boardwalks or coral as some beaches have.
I recommend taking in Pillar Beach its spectacular. I don't however recommend the Night cave tour , if your not a smoker don't go, its for the young kids who wanna thrash and rave and smoke like chimneys. lol.
I have only 1 complaint , its the disco stobe light. I think if you shut that strobe off , you may have more people in the disco, It is actually a hazard for some people as it can cause seizures if you keep it flashing for consecutive periods. Only need to have it go off once in awhile, I tried to go in and had to leave after 5 mins as I was dizzy and feeling nauseous. sorry its my only compliant. =(
George in beer gardens is amazing go in and say hakuna matada or don't worry be happy, Cuz that's what CUBA IS ALL ABOUT.
Roberto is the food and beverage manager and was amazing to us. Thank you.
Leanna in the buffet was a darling and always smiling.
Alex at the lobby bar always had our drinks topped up and smiling and singing all the time.
To all the staff at Hotel Playa Coco. Thank you for all the Smiles and welcome feelings you gave to us on our second trip here. We are coming back and miss you all. Thanks again for making us fee like your family. Cannot wait to be back.
Your friends and new family Sheri & Ed

Room Tip: We did ask for higher up ocean view room , we didn't receive that but received a room close to t...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank MedgirlES
Reviewed July 2, 2013

This review is long overdue. Stayed at Hotel Playa Coco on March 28-April 3, 2013 in one of the yellow building on the second floor. Had a view of the ocean. A bit disappointed with the check in process. Got to the hotel around 11:00 am. I understand that the check in time is not until 4:00pm and we were promised that our room would be ready by the latest is 2:30pm. The restaurant is not open for lunch until around 12 noon so we indeed up hanging around the lobby area, went for a walk around the beach while carrying our personal belonging as I did not want to leave it in their luggage storage. Finally after an hour or so, we indeed up going to the buffet for lunch. The place was big but the selection of food is mediocre, not much selection. From our first trip a couple of years back, we learned from experience that we can't really complain about the food. However, I thoroughly enjoyed their bread. Rosa, one of the waitress at the buffet restaurant made sure that we are comfortable and is eager to accommodate our request without having to wait around. Tried all the a-la-carte, alright nothing spectacular about it. The resort offers Japanese, Italian, Seafood. Making a reservations however is a challenge and it seems that they are always full-can't seem to understand why but whatever, it is what it is.

Our room is okay, it has a working safe, king size bed and a bit of a sitting area. Bathroom is clean but the water pressure is another a bit on the weak side. Pillows is so flat that I used my neck pillows as extra support. Towels seems to be a problem as they only give you 2. However, our room attendant Yame is always making sure that we have enough. The sliding door does not close properly and the curtain are falling off from the curtain rod. No attempt was made in correcting that problem. The room is tired and the resort itself needs a major make over. Moving on, I just have to keep on telling myself that "I can not expect more than what they can offer"

Took an excursion to the city of Moron. Nice colonial building from once upon time. A strip of small business selling everything and anything. Flea market selling product from local artisan and an old lady following you around asking for "peso". Speed boat tour of the mangroves is quite fascinating and fun. Had a typical Cuban lunch (beans with rice, plantain and roast pig)-very good and our tour guide Catherine is eager to share her knowledge and her love of the Cayos to the us. This is a very scenic tour around the Cayos.

Tried the Aquavida Spa Talaso in Cayo Coco, highly recommend. Had a couple massage and milk bath. Quite different and enjoyed thoroughly. After the massage and milk bath, we took a swim in their salt water pool-so good. This one I would highly recommend. The staff are all so very friendly and the place is both the spa and also the institute for Aquavida. Very well maintained.

Took a hop on hop off bus to Playa Pillar (public beach) in Cayo Guillermo...WOW, WOW AND WOW..a must do. Powder sand beach and crystal clear water. One restaurant in the premises and the food is very good. The visit to Playa Pillar made our trip more enjoyable. I would go back to this beach anytime. The only thing missing is a resort?????

Overall, can't really complain about the food, it is expected, service in the resort, okay. I would like to commend Nicre (lobby bar server), Rosa (buffet waitress), Yame (room attendant). Would I go back to this resort again? Maybe NOT..one thing I must say, Cuba has some amazing beaches around. I would go back to other parts of Cuba again for sure.

Room Tip: make sure to ask for building 20 (yellow building) near the Seafood restaurant, walking distance to...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ElphaC
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Well, when you've paid $570 for a week at a glorious beach with all the food and drink your heart desires, plus a flight to take you there, I don't figure you've got much right to complain. So, barring any major health and safety issues, give me a nice beach and I'm good.

But one thing stands out to me: pretty much everything you read here is true. Positive, negative and everything in between...they'll probably be right.

Staff: Those folks who rave about the staff are right: Some staff are great! Those who criticize them are right, too. Some are humourless, scowling so-and-sos. They're just your average mixture of people. But don't go expecting to be treated like royalty, as some have suggested.

Food: Be aware that low season differs from high season. The resorts tend to contract their services in the late spring and summer, so not all the wonderful foods and features were available when I was there in late June. No churros by the pool. Only one bar at a time would be serving burgers and fries, and you never knew which one it would be.The beach BBQ and restaurant: best bets by far during the day. The buffet: it'll keep you nourished, and you might even like some items, but in general I found it the least palatable of all the buffets I've experienced across Cuba. I kept picking at my lasagna 'noodles' because there was something strange I just couldn't put my finger on. Then it hit me: they weren't noodles at all. They were pancakes, leftover from the breakfast buffet.

Pool: Nice. Even nicer: The "quiet" pool behind the stage. No kids, no crowds. Depends on what you like.

Locals: As some have mentioned, this resort, like many others, enjoys the patronage of local residents. It's a delicate subject...I mean, it is their country. But they tend to arrive in big, noisy groups with lots of children, and dominate the place on weekends. And they receive distinctly preferential service.

Beach: Oh, man....heavenly. Just be aware: there is a boardwalk entrance to the beach. To the left the beach is rocky -- naturally, where all the chairs and palapas are. To the right the beach is not rocky -- but there are no chairs or palapas. So take a chair, then walk several yards to the right to enter the water. Don't be surprised at the variety of fish, including stingrays, eels, and barracudas.

Rooms: Clean; a bit rough around the edges, but didn't see the trace of a bug, and maid was very hardworking. A bottle of water comes to your room every day, and there's an in-room fridge and coffee maker with coffee and tea. Don't be shocked if you look out your window and see wild hogs, residents of the nearby forests, wandering the property.

Entertainment: Good! Lots of talent there, humour, and audience involvement.

Other: I rented a scooter for four hours; brought it back within three, because there's nowhere to go, nothing to see. I did visit a model farming 'village', with a bar and restaurant, called Sitio la Güira, where you can rent a thatched cottage for 25 CUC a night (looked like a good place to hunker down and write a novel if you fancy yourself the Ernest Hemmingway type).

Side trips: I spoke to someone who'd paid close to $100 for a day trip to the two closest cities and felt very ripped off. Apparently some key advertised features of the trip were not delivered. They were refunded a pittance, and were quite upset.

All in all a lovely, relaxing vacation. Would I go back? I've decided the Cayos are a little remote for me, and I've been to Cuban resorts I liked better. But I wouldn't dissuade anybody either.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank MabeleToronto
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I have been to Cuba on average twice a year since 2004. I know that the ratings and standards are much lower than Canada's. I know because my husband is Cuban.
However while I was on a weeks vacation at the Playa Coco I felt like I was invading their privacy. The hotel was over run with locals staying there at a much lower price than we paid for it. If you did not get to the buffet as soon as it opened when you got to the meat all that was left was bones and it was not replenished. The lunch food that was left over was recycled to dinner or put in the soup. If any of the staff ever smiled it would be a miracle. Our room was cleaned daily but we did have to ask to have the sheets changed and we had to use the same towels all week. I do not even do this at home use my bath towel for my body and my hair. Even tipping did not help or make the staff smile. We stayed from June 15th to the 22nd The mattress on the bed needed to be changed as it was way worn and even for a king size we ended rolling on top of each other to the hole in the middle. The pillows if you can call them that were so flat I had to use my towels to raise it not to hurt my neck. The patio door did not lock and we were on the ground floor. I was only there for 2 days and was trying to get a flight home I was so discouraged and then to find there were no flights before the 22nd. I could not wait to leave.

Room Tip: check the doors and windows to make sure they lock also lay on the bed to avoid a hole or spring pus...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
#7 of 12 in Cayo Coco
IBEROSTAR Mojito
IBEROSTAR Mojito
#8 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to Hotel Playa Coco? Share your experiences!