“March Break - A Great Time!”
Review of Hotel Playa Coco

Hotel Playa Coco
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Our family stayed at Playa Coco March 9 - 16 (March Break), room 4311 (pink building, ocean view).
We had a great time!
Three days of hot weather, two days of warm, two days of cool and windy.
Room was great, everything worked, it was clean, beds were good!
Everything was close by and service was terrific, no problems!
The beach was fine, not the best we've been at in Cuba (try Cayo Largo) but once you stepped over the rocky shoreline there was lots of sand and warm ocean water, Pilar Beach was awesome!
The food was great, lots of places to choose from. The buffet was fine, the line ups for freshly cooked items were a bit of a pain, but carry a cold beverage with you in line and talk to the other guests :)
The shows in the evening were excellent ..... really enjoyed them!
There was lots of pool-side fun if you chose to get involved!
The 'saving of the chairs' grew tiresome, but I understand the need to save your spot.
The staff and guest were great! Except for most Quebecers......after our 5th time in Cuba, you just grow to expect their antics.....
Jeep Adventure, Catamaran Trip, Boat Adventure, day at Pilar Beach, rental of the scooters for the day.......awesome!

Don't bother with the negative comments about Hotel Playa Coca....these people should not be going to a 3 or 4 star hotel and should probably stay out of Cuba.
It was a great time ..... can't wait to go back to Cuba next year!

W,J,H

Room Tip: "chose the pink or yellow buildings, third floor" "green and blue, not great"
8  Thank hawksterca
There are newer reviews for Hotel Playa Coco

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed here the week of March 9, 2013.

Location -
* only 20 mins from the airport
* rather remote with only one other resort (Memories) near by

Beach-
* Excellent location, long stretch of sand and great walking.
* Good snorkelling at the resort in certain areas.
* Had to get chairs early since many people reserve them and don't use them all day.

Rooms
* Large rooms with a king size bed
* dead bolt didn't work, patio door didn't lock, towel racks broken,
* Bed was very hard. It was like sleeping on a box spring without a mattress
* the sheets and the blanket were very old with stains, etc.

* This was the first time I have gone to a all inclusive and lost weight.
* The buffet was very limited and most food was cold.
* They had cooking stations for omellets, meat, pancakes, etc. However, you have to wait a very long time and I just don't have the patience.
* the Japanese and Italian Restaurants were good. The seafood retaruant was poor.

Staff

* There are some very good staff here. There are however more bad ones. From our observations, I think they take lots of resort stuff home with them. There are lots that are not very friendly (even if you tip). There are some that go above and beyond.

Grounds

* Pool was great
* Landscaping was very poor. Grounds are very dark at night. No nice grass, plants, etc. We went to the resort next door and it was much nicer.

I realize that this resort is relatively cheap to book. As a number of reviews say, you get what you pay for. I really wish we would have paid a extra $1000-$1500 and went to a different resort with nicer facilities and better food. We have been to Cuba 5 other times so we know what to expect. However, this was by far the worst resort we have been to in Cuba. I give it a 2 Star since the beach was amazing. Otherwise it was a 1 Star.

1  Thank nomosnow
Reviewed March 17, 2013

this is my 3rd Cuba vacation in 3 years, loved the smaller size of this resort, not far to walk for anything we wanted. the food was the best, was actually able to make a real salad. the beach was beautiful, but hotel can put more umbrellas. the staff were very nice. the piano bar lounge was very entertaining in the evening. What they can improve on the the housekeeping. Actually had my cell phone stolen from my room. The maid was fired but that's all the hotel can do. There was no way the hotel was compensating for my loss.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Playa Coco from Feb 25th-March 11, 2013. This was our sixth trip to Cuba, our second time to Cayo Coco but our first time at this resort.

What a wonderful vacation! The staff are fabulous! We had such a nice time getting to know some very nice people.
A big thank you to the ladies in customer service...Yaidy, Lisbet, Aracely, Yenny and Yalily! Very friendly and very helpful..asking if they could do anything for us, if we were enjoying our vacation..they were always there to answer any questions and assist in any way possible.
We stayed in the pink building room 4304 with a beautiful ocean view. The rooms were very spacious and our very pleasant maid, Doris, did a wonderful job!

We spent most evenings at the lobby/piano bar and had a great time. A special thanks to Diamelys Lopez Alonso and Anibal Macias Ponce (thumbs up!) our servers as well as our two favorite bartenders Yosvany Aleman and Yoel Gonzalez.
The piano, as some other reviews mentioned is in desperate need of TLC, but it didn't stop everyone from having a wonderful time! The entertainers at the piano bar are very talented and love to have fun interacting with the guests. We brought guitar strings with us, and they were VERY well received. Music is a very big part of the Cuban culture so gifts music related (strings, guitar pics, harmonica's, reeds, etc) are graciously accepted.
The beach was absolutely amazing. We would go to the beach between 7-8am each morning and never had a problem getting loungers. Taimy and Carlos at the beach bar were our favorites. Taimy is definitely a sweetheart..always smiling and really enjoys her job! I hope her Mom is doing better.
We would also like to thank Michael "Jackson" Perez ! What a wonderful young man..he works very hard as part of the entertainment staff..from beach volleyball to participating in the evening show..he's always smiling. One of the evenings we invited him to join us for a meal at the buffet restaurant. After receiving special permission from his boss, he joined us and had a great meal! (two BIG helpings, haha) Take the time to talk to the workers, you will have the opportuntiy to learn about the "real" Cuba.
People mentioned bugs...well..I "thought" they were bug bites, but realized it was an allergic reaction to the detergent used to wash the bed linen. I took Benedryl and it helped, also ended up sleeping on the bath towels we brought from home..and that made a big difference. I advise anyone with sensitive skin to bring a flat sheet with you..I know I will in all future vacations :)
Overall...we had a wonderful vacaction and left Cuba with wonderful memories and great tans!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank bru33
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The best thing I can say about this resort is that it was affordable and the employees were for the most part very nice.
Food was edible some good some not so good but we still ate well.
Only complaint about food is that everything at Buffet took so long, but hey you should not be in a rush when on vacation. So if you are impatient or starving, get there early. Especially for breakfast omelets and pancakes.
Drinks were watered down. Cocktails and juices.
Facility was pretty clean and the rooms were cleaned regularly.
Entertainment not so entertaining but at least they tried.

I would not go back to this resort but I would recommend it if you are on a budget.

Room Tip: Bring gifts for the employees and they will take good care of you all week.
7  Thank Vink0812
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The bad news this is not a 4 Star hotel. The good news is it is decent and you can have a 4 Star vacation experience. All of the staff work exceptionally hard and they are friendly. We stayed Feb.27-March.6/13.

The Room: The room was bright and spacious. We stayed in the yellow building 7301 across from the quiet children's pool. We had requested and received a King size bed. The Mattress may be a bit hard but we actually hate soft mattresses. Having red the reviews we brought an extra pillow with us. TV has satelite and it receives about a dozen channels including CNN. Our air conditioner worked fine. We kept it off most days and used it only when needed. The free safe and mini fridge was a plus. There was a section of the room walls with some scratch marks from the furniture, likely from someone dragging the wicker counch across the room. It could use some cosmetic paint, but we were totally unconcerned with this. The Bathroom was big and spacious with a large bathtub with shower. I bathe, my wife showers. She noted the shower pressure was okay, but not like home. We did not have any problems with hot water. On arrival we also had beach towels in our room. The toilet flusher is this steel press buttons on the wall, that you need to figure out and press simutaneously. This was the biggest issue I had. Often it seemed if water was being used in the unit next door, the toilet would not flush. Remedy was to not worry about it and try the next time you were in the bathroom and it usually worked fine. This is sometimes my experience in other hotelsin the caribean and Mexico.

Towels and Linens and Maid Service: First let me qualify that my wife and I are very enviormentally concerned so we do not like our towels and linens changed. I believe they changed the bathroom towels once and did not change the sheets. When a towel was missing, the maid was quick to get us one. Our bed was made everyday often with the spread configure in a flower design. The first day we left our stuff (shoes etc., all over the place), when we came back everything was lined up or folded neatly. We got to know our maid and she showed us some pictures of her family on her phone.

Food, dining and drink: We thought the food was very good. Do not understand the complaints. The buffet has a big variety with different areas for made to order pasta or seafood. Breakfast had made to order eggs (any type) and pancakes. It is true they do not have peanut butter (big deal). Our egg guy was very engaging and friendly and always made me smile. We tended to sit in the same section to get to know our servers. There were theme nights at the buffet a few times for dinner. We only tried the Italien A la Carte (twice) which was very good. One thing to note at the A la Carte is the alcohol is not free. My wife stated the coffee in the buffet was the best coffee she has ever had. We brought our Bubba cups for drinks while around the pool or on the beach. They do not use orange juice very often for screwdrivers, rather it tasted like an orange mix. Accordingly, I switched to Gin and Sprite. Tonic is only available in the lobby piano bar. All in all, drinks were plentiful and easy to obtain. The burgers at the beach were okay not great, but fine in a pinch. The fries at the Beer Garden were excellent.

Hotel Grounds and the Beach: It was the dry season so things looked a little sparse but there were a number of palm, coconut and banana trees scattered over the grounds. The pools were decent but we spent most of your time on the beach. The beach was great. Sea weed is picked up daily and the water is so clear and beautiful. Yes sometimes it is a challenge to get a lawn chair if you do not go early and place a towel on one. We decided to do this before going for breakfast. A bonus was a patch of rock and corral at the end of the beach about 50 feet out (you would be looking back at the pink beachfront hotel), which had a number of cool fish. If you bring some bread you will have them swim all around you. I got to test out my scuba mask camera ($80.00 at The Source with tax) that took some excellent pictures.

Bugs: We did not notice too many bugs. I was warned that they were terrible. Some people did seem to have many bug bites. You do not feel them and they must be mico small. I believe they are worse at night near any shrubbery. I loaded up on bug spray and did not use it once, but I like to be prepared. I do recommend bringing "After Bite" oinment which quickly remedied the bites I had. On returning home I did notice about 3 or 4 more bug bites.

Piano Bar and other entertainment: We spent most of our evenings around the piano at the piano bar. The guys playing there were friendly, talented, engaging and very entertaining. The only thing that would make this better would be for the hotel to actually spend some money on tuning the piano. 5 keys were horribly out of tune. I felt bad for these guys b/c they were very talented but their true talent could not be realized on this piano. This did not detract from the entertainment value of anyone who attended. The outdoor entertainment at night we observed only once and was decent.

Tipping: People in Cuba do not make very much money. All of the staff work extremely hard and long hours. We tried to tip as many types of staff as possible. We tipped our maid daily, our servers every other day (staying in the same section as they pool their tips) my egg guy every other day and our bar staff (various 3 or 4 different sections we used) daily. We usually tipped one Convertable peso. Do not tip in Canadian coins as this is useless for them. Also avoid giving any American money. Convertible Cuba money is the best way to tip.

Trips booked through your tour guide and purchases at the hotel stores can be paid by any Candian credit card (CIBC, PC, Royal Bank, Socita, Montreal etc.) which will give you the best exchange rate. (No citibank etc.,cards which are American owned will work) Hotel exchange was 9.1 convertable peso for 10 Canadian dollars. Credit card was better than this.

Summary: If you not uptight and want a pleasant stay, this is hotel has more than adequate 3+ star facilities capable of providing you a 4+ star holiday.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
16  Thank potjesj
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Playa Coco with our two children (ages 8,10) from March 4-11. This was our third trip to Cuba, first to Cayo Coco. After months of reading reviews, we went with what we thought were realistic expectations. We were not disappointed. We loved this resort! It is hard to describe in words...we have traveled to Cuba/DR/Bahamas and enjoy trying new places. However, I would return here with our children in a heart beat. There is a special atmosphere at Cayo Coco. We are quite protective of the children and for the first time, we were comfortable with them venturing away from us (mini golfing, enjoying organized pool side games, beach volleyball, etc). This resort does not have all the bells and whistles you may find elsewhere, but if you are looking for a great family resort in a tropical paradise setting and find some fun in giving up a few comforts in exchange for other amazing treats, this is the place for you. Not to mention the neat cultural/social experience for the children. If you want to pay big bucks and be pampered by comforts of home, go to a 5 star in Mexico or Florida. Highlights:

Staff: Their work ethic is second to none. Staff travel 2 hours each way by bus from the main island to get to work. Appreciate them and get to know them. English is a challenge but this is their home and they are Spanish. We tipped and gave gifts not to receive service, but in thanks for the service received. Special thanks to Dani who accommodated our room request via email on the day of our departure. Our children adored Alina and the wonderful energy she brought to he daily poolside activities. Rosie at the gift shop stand shared some insightful stories of Cuba, their history and their struggles.

Rooms: In sum, if you need it, ask for it. Room cleaned every day. Sheets not changed because we didn't need them changed. New towels when needed. Safe worked. Doors locked. Children left gifts and notes in basic Spanish for the maid and she wrote back each time and made great animals with the towels. Water pressure if not the best and hot water was often warm-hot.. this did not bother us at all. Place toilet paper after a "pee" in the garbage provided and you will have less issue with the flushing (this applies for all toilets on the resort). No water in the resort for about 4 hours on our first morning. Didn't impact anything (had breakfast, went to the pool..not a big deal). Fridge worked. Big 1500L water each day. Bring your own towels for the pool. Could have used more blankets in the room (we used extra towels to cover up). We were in the yellow building, second floor on the corner with a view of both the sea and pool. Excellent location.

Pool: cleaned every morning. Warm enough for swimming. Reserve chairs early. If you are not planning to spend time at the pool, be polite and don't leave your towel. Perfect size to situate yourself and be able to supervise the kids.

Beach: Hands down the best I have seen inn the South. Coral reef to the far left great for snorkeling in even knee deep water. Kids loved rising horses on the beach. Water sports not plentiful and wind shut it down often.

Food/Drink: lots of options 24/7. Best I have had in Cuba. Japanese a la carte was great. Buffet is good. No worries about things poorly prepared.. didn't hear of anyone getting sick at all. Fruit flambe is a must. Coffee is amazing. Playa Coco drink is yummy. Bar-tending knowledge could be improved but they have all the ingredients, just ask them to make you whatever you want. The fresh fried doughnuts ("churro") at the pool are toooo good! Enjoyed fresh coconut daily from a grounds-worker.

Excursions: Lots offered. Jeep tour got great reviews. We did the day tour of Moron and Avila. What a day! Great guide. Tours by steam train, speed boat through beautiful canal, bicycle-buggy though city, alligators, sugar cane, dancers, pina colada, shopping, wonderful local lunch. :-)

I'd be happy to answer any questions via email.

14  Thank Sunny010133
#1 of 12 in Cayo Coco
TRYP Cayo Coco
TRYP Cayo Coco
#7 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to Hotel Playa Coco? Share your experiences!