“Best Vacation in Cuba so far!”
Review of Hotel Playa Coco

Hotel Playa Coco
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Ontario
“Best Vacation in Cuba so far!”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

When reading the reviews before we left, I have to admit I was a little afraid to go. As usual the exaggerated bad reviews were far from what we experienced.

The beach: It was the nicest beach I have seen so far! White sand and turquoise water as far as the eye could see. Low tide was incredible! Conch and Starfish and small reefs full of fish! Yes you did have to get up early for chairs and they could have used a few more, but it's a small price to pay for enjoying this beach!

The food: As this was my 5th trip to Cuba, I knew what to expect and was pleasantly surprised a lot of the time. Yes the beef was tough and the bacon undercooked but no big deal! The ala carts were nice and the beach grill and sports bar all had something yummy and we never went hungry.

The rooms: The rooms were clean and made up every morning. Everything worked in ours, but our friends had trouble getting towels in theirs. The staff tried their best to help when you needed it. Yes the beds are a bit firm and the pillows are very flat but we still managed to get a good sleep.

The Staff: Very friendly and accommodating. A big hello to Hannibal in the piano bar...We miss you and your Spanish coffees! The managers are always on site and stop to talk and ask how things are.

Entertainment: There is always something going on and the staff will try to involve everyone. They are very friendly and fun. A shout out to Alena (Chocolate Mama) We love you and miss you already. Thanks for arranging our wonderful trip to Moron and being our guide. We had such a great time! The music in the piano bar was so wonderful every night! Such talented musicians and singers!

All in all, we had a great time and would return again.

2 Thank SuzeeMc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
Whitehorse, Canada
Reviewed February 20, 2013

This was my 3rd trip to cuba, so i knew some things to expect. We traveled from Jan 20-27th and i can say that this place had many pros. yes, some people over exagerate about things like food and lack of towels, but it IS cuba, so come prepared.

This place was packed full of people having fun, drinking, making friends, especially in the beer gardens, where we spent alot of time, since most of the weather we got wasnt as great as we wanted (windy, rainy at times, cloudy). The only thing is the beer gardens is supposed to be 18 years and over, while everyone had their kids running around with no shoes on and ordering 13 hamburgers at a time! seriously? put some shoes on those kids!

another thing was the pool chairs being reserved at the main pool by towels, but there was never anyone there! we were lucky enough to have our room moved to the 1100 building from the 2000, which faces the kid pool, so it worked out well for us since there was more "free" chairs. We changed rooms because the first one smelled so much like mold and mildew, that it actually woke us up at night. No wonder, since our bathroom ceiling was leaking. It took us 3 nights to change rooms. "Tomorrow......tomorrow.....tomorrow..." You really have to assert yourself to get what you want. our rep Eddy, was very cool and very helpful. Also, the VIP....DO IT!! It's the best 25$ you can spend!! Air conditioned, tv, couches, free food and drink...they have Becks!

Over all, the beach was fantastic (even though i got over 30 sand flea bites), the food was the best ive had in cuba (mimosas, shakes, pasta, fresh meat & fish), the staff was very nice (Fidel at the lobby bar!!!), but hardly any hot water and we only got hand towels.

I had an excellent time because of the people we met there and the friends who accompanied us...thank god for alcohol. i think i'll try somewhere new next time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank julie j
Orangeville, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed February 20, 2013

For my first all girls vacation it was great. The people were great; both guest and employees. The entertainment staff were amazing. They work very hard to make sure you have a great time and enjoy your visit. The weather was great. No rain all 7 days. The resort was a good size, but did not feel too big. Cayo Coco has lots of trips off the resort and all seem to be fair prices. However with that being said they need more chairs for the beach and the pool. Who wants to get up at 6am to put towels on chairs. Be careful as you have to give a $15 deposit for your towel. If you got to the beach early there was someone to help find a chair; if not you were on your own. The food was okay. Buffet did not have a big selection and the service was slow, so just plan on waiting a while. Beach towels were not always available as they washed them off the resort and you could have to use your wet one. We got clean towels in the room once in the 7 days we were there. Bugs were horrible. I have never had a problem with the bugs in Cuba or any other place. Here they were horrible and my legs were covered in bites by the time I got home. The bathrooms need some work. I just would like soap and a lock on the door. Or just for the door to stay shut. Over all it was a good vacation and I had a lot of fun with my friends, but would not go back to this resort.

2 Thank girlsvaca2013
Thorold, Canada
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We were at this hotel from Feb.7-14 celebrating my youngest sisters' 50 th.As soon as we arrived I was not impressed.I had asked for the pink or yellow building and was informed that we would have to pay an extra 10 pesos per person per night for these rooms.We were in the blue building by the lobby.We didn't have any towels when we arrived ,no water and no bottle of Rum that was promised on the web site. I asked for two pillows because the ones we had were stained and smelled that was on Friday never did receive them.We went and saw our rep ( Danay) the next day to see if we could change hotels because I was so disgusted with everything. She tried but they quoted her the wrong price and we could not change,she talked to the front desk to resolve some of our issues and I very much appreciated this she was fantastic.We did not have any hot water, thank god we took toilet paper we got one roll a day for three women.Clean towels were hit and miss.Water leaked from the ceiling light fixture. The washrooms on the beach and buffet area never had toilet paper half of the time and never soap to wash your hands,take hand sanitizer with you and baby wipes is a must.
The buffet left alot to be desired.I wouldn't eat the meat or fish that they cooked on the flat tops because it wasn't cooked properly and you don't know how long it was sitting out.Food wasn't labelled properly so you had to guess what it was.Anybody with food allergies would have a tough time. Half of the food looked like it was just all slopped together.The Japanese restaurant was about the best. Make sure you get someone to do toast in the morning because it takes forever,I think they could do with another toaster.
On the good side the staff in the bars and food areas were very friendly and they worked very hard,the service was great. The best place to eat lunch was at the beach restaurant and the BBQ also.
We never spent anytime at the pool so I don't know how that was but it looked pretty clean.
We tried to get beach towels but they never had any,my word of advice is to take your own plus a face cloth and hand towel also.
The entertainment was fantastic,this helped to lessen some of the disappointment of the hotel its self. The animation team went out of their way to entertain you.They always had smiles on .
Mikael( not sure if I spelled this correct) Leo and Michael(Jackson)really did a exceptional job ,always getting people involved.Beach games and dance lessons so much fun.They all put a lot of hard work and time into everything they did and made you feel welcome.Every night they did such a fantastic job of entertaining all the children( young and old). We really looked forward to the shows at night , they rounded off the day. The pool show was the best. The dancers were wonderful and so energetic.
If we go to Cuba again I will make sure to really research the hotels.If it says 4 star it had better be one.This hotel I would rate a 2 star not the 4 it said it was. Next time if I go to Caya Coco I will stay at the Tryp Caya Coco it is by far a superior resort and I regret not booking it.

2 Thank Wendy313131
New Brunswick
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We were at this hotel from Feb.3-10. We had 4 wonderful days weather wise and a few cooler and windy. We were in rooms 2308 and 2309 (blue building near lobby). This was not what we had asked for but it turned out better. The rooms had plenty of hot water but not a lot of pressure which was not a problem for us. The rooms were clean although there are some moldy stains on chair cushions. This tends to happen when guests sit on them with wet bathing suits. The bed spread had blood stains on it so I gave it to the cleaning lady the first day so it could be washed. She took it with her and we only got it back the day before we left. We did not really need it. We did bring towels from home so we used or own beach towels instead of paying the $15 deposit for each towel. We also had extra bath towels from home and used them to put under the pillows because they are flat. We never did have to use our home towels because there were some in the room. They room towels are not changed everyday but this was not a problem for us because we use ours for a few times at home. We had friends arriving the day we were leaving so left her our unused towels from home and she was to leave them for the cleaning lady. We liked the Italian restaurant the best. For us the Japanese was a good show but we did not like the food. The seafood was not the greatest either but that was just our food preference. We had great pizza at the beach restaurant and great snacks at the beer garden. Ask first what they have available to eat at the beer garden because they do run out of certain items during the day. The buffet was not the best we've had in Cuba but we were always able to find something. We did not starve. Our favorite drink was lemonade and dark rum from the beach bar. We did spend a few evenings at the piano bar and had a nice time. The best show was the pool show. The others did not hold my attention long enough so we were in bed early. Get to the beach before 8 am to get a chair. Bring gifts to the gentlemen on the beach who brush off the chairs. I gave one guy paint brushes and work gloves. He was so happy because he would be able to paint his house. We were often asked for Colgate also. This is a good item to bring. The vendors will trade items for Colgate. Bring items for the cleaning lady but don't forget the gardeners and beach chair guys. The beach guy was so happy that the next morning he came to me saying Lady, Lady 4 chairs. He had saved 4 chairs for me. The beach was beautiful and we could snorkel and see plenty of fish about waist deep. In front of the pink building you will see a dark patch in the water and there you will find the fish. Bring bread and bananas from the buffet. We did the catamaran trip and were disappointed. We had better elsewhere. This was to full. Over 60 people. No beer only rum. They had some beer during the meal but not enough. they ran out of the beer and then the rum. The food was over cooked and in small portion. This cost us $80 per person. The weather was great and the ride also but it was not worth the money. I guess we were spoiled on previous trips. We bought our souvenirs at the hotel next door because they had nicer things. We always like to bring back a painting and the artist was at the other hotel with beautiful paintings. We always go to Cuba for the beach and to relax. We were not disappointed. Tips: Bring a few towels, kleenex and bug spray. Bring your own facecloths if you need them.Stay away from the public washrooms as much as you can. They are nasty. Go to your room instead. Bring your own thermal cup to keep your drinks cool. Bring your own mask and snorkel. Be careful on the blue bridges by the pool. They are very slippery. Most of all, take the time to ask the staff their names and introduce yourself. They will remember you when they see you. Our favorites were Jorge a.k.a Jean Coutu. at the beer Garden (very funny and friendly), and Osmar at the omelet station in the morning. There was the omelet station and the crepe station next to one another and there was only one good spatula. One day Osmar had to turn his omelets with a triangular pie spatula and this was not working very well. He asked the crepe cook to switch with him but he would not. I own a restaurant and this made me wish that I would have brought a spatula for him. So If anyone is looking for something useful to bring the cook, this is a nice idea. Imagine his reaction when everyone starts showing up with a spatula. LOL. Enjoy, relax, smile and be friendly.

3 Thank marpasa
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Overall we had a great time. the entertainment and staff were above and beyond! a 10 for sure!!!! our trip was awesome thanks to the staff and activites. the issues we had were that we never got clean towels. the maids did a fantastic job with cleaning the room and folding the towels nicely, but never replaced the used towels. the rooms had plenty of space and a nice sized balcony. Pool towels were barely available and beach chairs were a 6am fight to see who could get up earliest to play the towel game. our biggest issue was the womens public washrroms. they were barely functioning. 98% of the time they had no toilet paper. i would ask the front desk for more in the am and by pm there still would not be any. Hand soap was scarce too. you can bring your own tp but not having hand soap was just nasty. once you got your hands clean, you did have to wipe them on your shorts becuase the hand dryers did not work either. mens washrooms were fine though and was a last resort on some nights. dispite this, we definitely made the best of it and enjoyed our vacation!!! they ran out of food sometimes but we could always get something to eat. the buffet was small and the a la carte slow but the drinks were good and the sun was hot!

Room Tip: we had an ocean view, the pink building. the resort is really spread out, lots of walking but anyth...
Wellington, Canada
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We just came back from this resort we were there from Feb 8 -15th. We stayed in the yellow building ocean 5204 Our room was great,plentty of hot water. Rooms were cleaned everyday and the staff were great, bottles of water everyday. The pool bar the staff were very nice and the pool area was kept cleaned. The buffet and food were good also the ala cartes were good. The entertainment was amazing the shows at night were awesome! Moko was involved with the entertainment and did a great job! We had a great time the people were very nice and helpful,meet alot of nice people. This was our second time there and are planning on returning again next year. The beach was beautiful. The staff work long hours and hard for what they get paid and people need to realize that they try to do there best. When we go we take stuff because we know what to except. I love cuba and feel very safe there travelling with my daughter and grandchildren and will go back.

Room Tip: yellow building ocean view were good
5 Thank Linda M