“So bad we thought Ashton Kutcher was gona hop out and tells us we got punked” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Playa Coco

Hotel Playa Coco
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Courtice, Canada
“So bad we thought Ashton Kutcher was gona hop out and tells us we got punked”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

I have never slept in a damper bed in my life
power when out twice for almost the whole day... this mean no toilet
Food was disgusting , we ate out 4 times and they were all great but meals provide by the hotel were lower quality, un cooked and often cold
We had problems with our room but most times no one in the hotel could even under stand what we were saying so we seen no point in wastin our breath at the front desk, half the bar tenders didnt know what i meant when i asked for a beer, it took three people 5 min to figure out what i meant when i was asking for mustard... at the burger joint!... and yes the had lots of it ... just no people who speak english... no the front desk was not much better there was a few who understood but if they were not there you were out of luck.

10 Thank Christian C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (592)
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Playa Coco, Cayo Coco from January 27-February 3, 2013. We had three rooms as we were there with our 2 kids and 2 sets of grandparents. This was our 3rd time to Cuba and 2nd to Cayo Coco. They didn't make any efforts to accommodate us in communicating rooms one after another, but as long as we were in the same floor we didn't care.
I was surprised to see that the resort had only one buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The food was what we expected from Cuba, but the service and people sucked. The servers were lazy and very dirty, using same cloth/towel to clean a garbage bin and then the counter of food or the tables, using the same tongues on uncooked meat and then on the barbequed meat, also from chicken to pork and beef and so on. They wait you to tip them for every single thing, without first doing their job properly and please us with their service. They are a poor country but we work hard all year to get that week of vacation, too. We had to fill our glasses ourself and most of the time was self-service. We tiped them anyway as we were aware of it from previous visits.
The rooms were big, but everything else in it was run down, bed uncomfortable (hard mattress), the pillows were very flat and small, the bathroom didn't have warm water at all and no pressure.
There were waiting lines everywhere and it took them so long to refill trays with food. Food was always cold. The service and food at ala carte restaurants was horrible at Japanese and Seafood restaurant. At Japanese restaurant the food was served uncooked as the cook was rushing to cover two islands, so disrespectful, he threw food left an right and he grabbed what felt out and put back to cook. At seafood restaurant we were told that the lobster was finished and he didn't have for all of us. I asked for some fries for my little one and the waiter told me there wasn't any and to go get them at beer garden, but then later on some were put on the side of our main plates. I made sure to mention to the waiter and he didn't answer at all.

Many times we saw staff from kitchen coming to the bar and asking for coffee or something else to drink (alcohol), most of the time mixing alcohol with coffe or juice to the contrary of other places they were served before the tourists that were waiting for 10 min for a cappuccino.

Money stolen from our locked safe!!!!!!!!
I don't want people to get affected by my experience but just to make you aware of something that never happened to us before. Because we were a big family, we carried with us more money than we do usually, in case of any emergency to our parents. We exchanged $350CUC at the airport for tips, towels and whatever else and have $1300 CND left. We locked them in our safe and on our third day, my husband said that he was going to get some more to have for tips, when he counted what was left he told me that he was short $40CUC. We were recalling what we spent and when and in the end we were thinking that maybe we have lost them. While we were still processing it, I asked my husband to check the rest of money as they might have been mixed together. When we counted we were puzzled and were looking at each other in disbelief. $220CND were missing. I told my husband to go and report to manager, but he said not to do so as he was concerned as they could do something else, or steal something else, IPad, Cells, IPod, etc. We starting to carry the money and passports with us everywhere. We couldn't tell who could have broken into our safe and unblock the passcode and lock it back. They must have thought that we will get drunk and not even realize, but unfortunately we don't drink, but we go to Cuba to have a week of rest and spent time with our family. I just want everyone to be aware and carefull about the locked safe.
I stayed in room 3301 and the money was stolen on January 29 or 30.
On the last day I mentioned to the lady that gave us a questionnaire to fill about our experience (the one who does the ala carte reservations) and put it in the questionnaire, too. She stated that she was going to check with the technician and do a reading of who entered our room on those days other than us, but she didn't come back to us with any information.
Every staff member in the resort "shouts" Canada!!! Canada!!!!, but I think instead of pleasing us and providing good customer service as we deserve it, they fool us and steal us!!!!!! Shame on them!!!! it was so obvious the lack of proper management or no management at all.

I will never go back and will not recommend to any other; their deals are not cheap for what they provide, so look at some other resort.

16 Thank Gentjana
Hiram V, Manager at Hotel Playa Coco, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Gentjana,
I am really sorry to disagree with some of the opinions you wrote on TripAdvisor concerning the money you lost while at the resort, because we certainly did read your safe's lock and we have all the results, nobody else had opened it, but you with your own passcode, we have all the records with the dates on it! We are a poor country, as you stated on your opinions but I am sure that the staff at this resort is very reliable because they have proved this many times, they have found many things at the resort and has given them to the security to be given back to the owners (IPads, Cells, IPods,even Laptops, etc), so I trust them and I am sure they didn't get anything from your room.
It is a shame you didn't have a good time here, as you mention some other items that bothered you while here, we were not able to fullfil your expectations and that is not good for us, as this is our main goal!

Regards,
General manager
Brampton, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

No water hot or cold moldy beds, no water pressure a week .No bath or shower used bottled water to wash teeth an face. No help about the problem .Trapped there ,what an expensive disaster .The company and hotel new for over 6 months sent family and couples anyway .Couldn't wait too get home packed days in advance. 3 STAR NO WAY. Run don't walk when you see the adds on the place .

Room Tip: None there.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank David L
Duncan, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

This was my second trip back to Cuba...and after reading the reviews decided this would be a great place to go. We stayed in building 5 the yellow building....had wonderful ocean views. Room was nice....basic...very musty smelling but tolerable. Arrived late and discovered our shower was sending only a mist of water....and the lever to turn the tap on was broken so could not even have a bath. Next morning when we booked our al la carte restaurants the rep ask how everything was, and we mentioned the broken shower head and it was fixed that day. We never did have hot water warm at best....but heard many horror stories of other guests with no hot water no running toilets. The main lobby bathroom was a disaster. Two out of the three toilets in there were completed mobile....and moved off the toilet mount....the sewer gases in there were sooo awful. I reported to the cleaning staff and to a front desk person and by the end of our stay 2 were fixed...well barely and one smelled sooo bad and had no water to it. Very bad in the lobby of this hotel to have their main bathroom is such disrepair. But the beach was beautiful.....always found beach chairs.....the food in the buffet was good.....the Italian and Japanese Al la carte restaurants were fabulous....the seafood was not sooo good. The pools were nice...not always very clean....the staff were awesome....very friendly. The entertainment was fabulous!!!! We are not picky people...simply country folk but would come back to this resort!!!!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank NMV58
Dear NMV58,
Thank you for being so honest in the reviwew you have written on TripAdvisor, it is very good to know you would come back to the hotel despite the negative aspect you mentioned there. I will let all the staff know about your words! we hope to see you here one more time!

Kind regards,
Dartmouth, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

Don't go to this resort. From day 1 we had difficulties. No hot water for 5 out of 7 days and one day of no water at all. When asked about it staff just said we are fixing it.

We never received clean towels in our room. Our toilet broke and our safe. In order to fix these items we had to be in the room thus cutting into our vacation having to wait for repairs.

We did book 2 excursions. Jeep Safari but somehow we got on another tour and didn't do anything we had wanted to(day wasted). We ended up having to pay an additional 60 pesos.
The catamaran was also cancelled due to poor weather(understandable) but weren't told for over 1 hour that it was cancelled. Also still have not received the refund on my credit card.

I always heard that Cuban people were nice, drinks would flow and you would have a wonderful time. We didn't experience any hospitality and waiting for a drink (45mins) unless in the a la carte restaurants. Very disappointing.
We never knew when events around the resort were happening and even took us a couple days to find out the exact time of the nightly entertainment.

The food was good.(Defiantly the Japanese highly recommend) AND the beach was beautiful!!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
13 Thank meg1981
Hiram V, Manager at Hotel Playa Coco, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear meg1981,
I feel really sorry you have just came back home with such a bad feelings about our resort or our hospitality, because this is not the way things are done here. Anyways, thank you for letting us know all about your holidays here, we really appreciate it!

Regards,
Kitchener, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

I would like to share my experience at Hotel Playa Cayo Coco. We spent 14 days in this resort (from Jan.17 until Jan. 31/2013) and it was a worst holiday I ever had!!! Our room not had a warm water, finally after a 3 days of insistence, they changed our room. The new room it was not clean and the room had a mold smell, but had a warm water....The hotel services at reception, at the bar or at the restaurant it was so low -we had been waited at the beach restaurant for 2 pizza and 1 hamburger 1 hour and half... Always had a long long line at the bar...The food at the buffet it was almost the same, not very varied food and not cooked meat. My friend and my husband was sick 2 days, because of food. The Pool it was too little and not to much space, and the bar at the pool it closed at 5pm. The activity and entertainment it was so boring...The facilities of hotel its old and need to maintenance. The beach was beautiful when the weather was good, some of days they didn't clean the beach...This Hotel has 4* but I think it's a 2* or 3*.
I not recommend this hotel, and I thinking to not going to Cuba in my future holidays!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
11 Thank andrea a
Dear Andrea A,
I am sorry to disagree with the particular opinions you have in reference to the food at the hotel, we haven't had this kind of complaint in many months, our food is well cooked and we have a great variety of it, as most of the guests have stated on their opinions on TripAdvisor and in our surveys. Anyways, thank you for your opinios about this resort, I will let every worker here know about them!

Kind regards,
Chateauguay, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

Hotal Playa Coco review. WOW, I never thought it could be that bad!

January 8 to 17 2013

I could write pages of stuff about this resort, but I don’t feel that it deserves a lot of my valuable time! So here it is.

Pros:
Nice beach
Food ok (not good just ok, when you can get some)
Pools are ok

Cons:
Beach gets messy during the day, they only clean once so if people don’t pickup their trash, it just stays there.
Not enough beach chairs
Public toilets are smelly, dirty, don’t flush and have no soap. (To the point that my 3 year old wanted to go back to the room every time he had to go!)
Everything that’s broken stays broken! (Kid’s club door was broken and never repaired, and other things as well)
Everything is stained (Towels, beach towels, bed sheats, pillows…)
Hard to get clean towels (They just take the dirty ones and hang/fold them back)
No soap refill
No hot water
No water pressure
Disgusting pillows
Water leaking from light fixtures (2 and by the end it was leaking on the wall as well)
Uncomfortable bed (VERY hard)
Pillows are about as thin as a pancake
Grounds are not clean
Horse droppings are left all around the resort (don’t go on the grass at night!)
General lack of maintenance (Paint on building coming off, 1/3 lights don’t work at night, tennis courts are unusable, roads to walk around the resorts are dirty, and a lot more that you’ll see if you go there!)
Long waits everywhere
Waiters don’t write your order so there’s always something missing and sometimes they just forget your order
Some waiters just ignore you
If you order something they’ll make you wait 30 minutes then come tell you that they’re all out of it.
Sometimes you go to the snack bar and they just don’t have any food!
Toaster at the buffet doesn’t toast, you have to put your bred in 3-4 times and it’s SLOW!
You can get some meat cooked in front of you at the buffet, but it’s slow and the cooks don’t clean the cooking area correctly so you get your meat and leftovers from the other meat that he cooked, your chicken will be black and tastes like it burned. (Same goes for pancakes)
Overall cleanliness
Chairs and sofas in the lobby are all broken
The store at the lobby doesn’t have change! (Bought Pringles for 4,50CUC and I gave her 5 CUC and she didn’t have change)
Public relations person that takes complaints and restaurant reservation writes the complaints, but never do anything to fix anything.
We asked for a crib for our daughter and the one we received was barely able to stay assembled.
AC broke down in our room
Even if you complain about something, nothing is done or offered to fix the problem.

I’m pretty sure I’m forgetting some, but I think you get the point…

This message is for the Manager that reads the comments and comments them. LET GO OF THE INTERNET AND DO SOMETHING USEFULL! GET SOME EMPLOYEES TO FIX YOUR RESORT! And please higher people that care about their work, because from what I see people that fix things don’t care and just botch the job. I bet you’re writing stuff here just to give the illusion that you care about the clients… Once at the hotel you people don’t give a damn about the clients.

Will I go back? Never even if it’s free!
Will I recommend it Never!

Watch my pictures and videos, they will show you!

Note: The day after I filmed and took pictures, they painted the exterior of the first floor of our building (The way they did it they’ll have to redo it in 3-6 month) and picked up the crap that was on the grounds in front of our building. The day after, they removed the broken wood path to the beach next to our building (that should've been done a long time ago!).

Check youtube TheTraveller139