“Playa Coco is simply awesome~”
Review of Hotel Playa Coco

Hotel Playa Coco
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Toronto
“Playa Coco is simply awesome~”
Reviewed February 24, 2012

Our family of four spent our 6th winter at this resort and loved it. We enjoyed the best suite in the resort this time (4301-Pink bldg). There was a gourmet beach party bbq set up on the beach at our arrival. Roberto, the new Dominican food & bev.manager is bringing welcome changes to the resort including the weekly beach parties and new pool-side tiki bbq grill serving amazing ribs and burgers. Aqua bartender, Gustavo provides the best service with a ready smile. We have been to many resorts in the cayos-we have only returned to this one. The saff and management treat us like family. No request goes ignored. The only downside was the digusting behaviour exhibited by the reading week students from UofG, my almamater. They set out to ruin this resort their first night and nearly succeeded.We will time our trip accordingly next year.
The staff at this resort always makes us feel special.

Room Tip: email request ahead to recepcion
2 Thank TorontoDave

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (608)
niagara
Reviewed February 23, 2012

I travelled from Feb 14, 2012 until Feb 21, 2012 with my husband, 11 yr old daughter, my mother, my sister, and my 12 yr old nephew. There were also a group of approx 10 more people whom my sister booked with. My husband and I have been to Cuba previously, and this was the first time for the rest of my family members. We were very much looking forward to the wonderful Cuban experience we had before in Guardalavaca, Holguin.

We arrived to find a gorgeous beach, the best one by far (we have been to Punta Cana, Holguin, Mexico previous years) so we were very pleased at this.
The staff at the resort were very friendly as well, and the entertainment staff did a great job trying to keep everyone happy.

Saying that, the evening entertainment was what you would typically expect, somewhat "cheesy" but enough to occupy your time. The afternoon entertainment was far too sexual in nature for a family friendly resort. There was one drinking game poolside that I actually had to distract my daughter from seeing. This game consisted of female guests taking turns drinking beer out of a straw in which the cup was placed on the midsection of one of the male entertainment staff. The staff member would grab the female by the hair while drinking, mimicing her performing a sexual favor on him. They would then take turns walking up to another male staff member, rubbing lotion on him, and grinding and dancing with him. The point of this contest was to judge which female would win the sexiest female contest. This I understand is acceptable at perhaps an adults only resort, but not one which labels itself "family friendly". There was also a "fashion show" in the evening which had a bathing suit/thong model showing a bit too much for a family friendly resort. Not at all acceptible for children in my opinion!

The music was the same all day....everyday. Always the same songs played over and over. Not a quiet place to enjoy at the pool or beach. I did enjoy the sound of the ocean from our room balcony, but everywhere else, the same annoying beat.... very very loudly !

Our oceanview upgraded room had a partial view of the ocean, but also a view of trees and a pond, which would have been nice, if not littered with garbage. Not the oceanview I expected when I upgraded!

The first day was nice, resort not full, so ample staff to assist. We found out that we travelled on reading week for the college/university students as they all arrived on our 3rd day in. Unfortunatly, the staff did not grow as the guests did, leaving only one bartender at the bar to serve over 100 people, most of which drank so fast that they stood at the bar, making it difficult for others to be served.

The food quality of this hotel was AWEFUL!! I know that it is common to have little selection, and that the buffets do get repetitive, but even the quality of the food here was terrible. Everyone had diarehha after the first day, which did not go away, some still suffering now that we are home for a couple of days. Many people at the resort were vomitting as well. I know it is often caused by too much sun and drinks, but even my daughter who was limited to sun exposure and obviously at the age of 11 did not drink alcohol suffered the entire time, as well as my 12 yr old nephew who spent most of his week in his room, had diarehha as well as 2 days of vomitting.

The breakfast buffet ran out of juice some days, and you were given the choice of water or coffee. Even the coffee was of a latte nature, not just regular hot milk and coffee. My daughter did not get a single glass of milk the entire week, as their milk was the thickness of yogurt. I did not trust giving her that.

The room cleanliness was ok, but the pillows were very very flat and very tiny. The bed did its job. The cushions on the furniture both in the room and lobby area were filthy, some looked like they had blood and semen stains on them. Very unsanitary!

I should also mention that one trip I made to the lobby bar, I grabbed 2 plastic drink cups from the stack at the bar for some water and they were actually dirty. These were not cups that were waiting to be thrown away, but ready to be used. It would be my understanding that the cups were being rinsed out and then reused for other guests drinks instead of discarded. It is no wonder so many people were falling ill!

The bathrooms in the room were clean, but did not flush properly. Outside of our room, the bathrooms were often down to one or two stalls, with water leaking all over the floor... some were closed altogether due to water leak or toilet overflowing issues, and the ones that were working had no soap or toilet paper half the time. My sister began carrying a roll of toilet paper when we went out after the second day. At one point, I asked at the front desk for a bar of soap to place in the bathroom for guests to use until cleaning service was done the next day, as I was tired of no way to wash my hands. After waiting for the staff to radio around , I was asked to follow one of the staff members outside. I was asked to take a ride on a trolly , which went around the entire resort, looking for a chambermaid. When we finally found one at the opposite end of the resort, I was given the sought after soap. In my opinion, it would have been much easier not to mention accomodating for them to have the soap dispenser refilled when told it was empty. This ordeal took so long that my husband and daughter were worried I hadnt returned from the bathroom.

The grounds of the resort were very unkept, garbage all over (partially due to other guests being lazy, in particular the vising students on spring break, I understand), and the shrubs and gardens far from attractive. The beach staff would often ask myself and my family if we could get them beer while on our way from the bar to our chairs, and I always saw them sitting and drinking instead of keeping up the appearance of the beach as they are supposed to. If they did their job I would have gladly went to get them a beer!

The gardeners would watch for guests to come by, and try to get them to buy items they had with them. We started to walk around different ways just to avoid being hassled!

I personally felt ill a good portion of my week vacation here. I actually fainted in the breakfast buffet the third day in and had to visit the medical center. Turns out I had very low blood pressure, was very dehydrated, extreamly shaky, and needed an injection. Not a good time! I did not drink very much this holiday, and did not eat hardly anything as the quality of the food and drinks were horrible. I even purchased bottles of water from the gift shop to ensure it was safe to drink. Perhaps even this was not safe!

I am sure I could go on but the bottom line is, if you are looking for a nice relaxing trip, you may be tempted to go here. I do advise against it. We love Cuba, the people, and the beaches, but please do book elsewhere to keep yourself and family/friends healthy! Any questions you are welcome to contact me! Happy travelling :)

Room Tip: Further away from the main pool area, the quieter. If you are looking for a oceanview, the higher u...
3 Thank sandbcreighton
London, Canada
Reviewed February 23, 2012

At the time we arrived it was Valentines Day and we got roses and drinks served while we were registrating. The service was great. The staff was helpfull in many ways. Great thanks to the entertaining staff Marielkis,Jack,Maikel,Moco, Alina who made our days fun. Gustabo was great. The evening entertainment was great. Beach was awesome. My Husband went fishing. The food was good but needs some impovement. Roberto was working on improving the food and staff while we were there and saw a few changes for the better. The rooms were good but not great but you dont spend time in them only when sleeping so who cares. So much to do and see. The kids were always busy doing something. Will visit again. For a 4 star resort we had a great time. Keep it up.

Room Tip: For a 4 star is was good but needs some improvements like tiles replaced and mirrors replacement.
6 Thank rpsulty
Toronto
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Beware a hotel that changes its name 3 times in a year.

When I went it was called "Oasis Playa Cayo Coco. After we left it turned to Be Live Cayo Coco and now is Hotel Playa Cayo Coco.

We went a group of four. It was my first time to Cuba but my sister has been many times. This hotel was bad. My first room we stayed in for 48 hours, the pillows were just pillow cases stuffed with sheets, the sheets under the covers were mouldy, (I expect a certain amount of mould based on the humidity of the tropics) this room was mouldy everywhere, the curtains were speckled all over, the walls, the bedding, the furniture, everything. My mom is alergic to mould so we needed to move rooms. Also the toilet didn't flush and when we reported that the maid cam in took the back off the toilet, which meant taking a pannel off the wall and told us for the duration of our trip to put our hands in the hole to flush... even when you did that it took over 30 minutes for the toilet to flush.

The grounds were fine. The grass wasn't green but really, whatever. The beach was beautiful but there were lots of sand flies and we got eaten! there is rock in the first few feet of water but we found that rock to be smooth and easy to walk on so it didn't bother us at all.

The service was non existant. You could not get a drink to save your soul. We actually went to the store and BOUGHT our own alcohol and pop to mix our own drinks. That is not acceptable for an all inclusive. The only bar that consistantly had people serving was in the main lobby but it was busy and the drinks still sucked. Pina Colada's looked like yellow liquid and 2 inches of white foam. Yuck. Also the smell when they opened the doors behind the bar in the lobby was like a very hot barn yard.

The milk was powdered and sat out all day... and they used this milk on everything... like instead of cheese on the lasagna at the italian a la cart it was topped with milk. tasted and smelled off.

The food I didn't mind we brought our own ketchup, and salad dressing. Bring snacks.

This resort has potential. I hope one day they can use that potential to make a resort worth going to .... for now buyer beware.

It is at best a cuban 2-3 star not a 4-5. This resort changes its name in order to change the rating of the hotel. If they have too many bad reviews rather then fix the problems they change the name of the hotel and bump up its rating. Dont get stuck in this scam.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank juljoh70
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed February 20, 2012

the food was horrible, we all got sick, no food after about 11 pm, the hotel was only at 30 percent capacity, all we could get were ham and pimento sandwiches. lol. yucky food. ewww.. beatiful beaches though for real and weather so nice. staff rude there, would never go back.... i know they say cuba food is bad but man this was really bad. . also our rooms were falling apart, the toilet kept getting clogged adn the man came to fix it and made us think it was our fault, horrible. yuck

Room Tip: just dont go.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Mascouche, Canada
Reviewed February 9, 2012

We loved Cayo Coco...27/1/12 - 3/2/12....Play Coco Hotel,(old Be Live or Serenis) very clean, excellant service, the Maids did a fantastic job everyday..But. BAD Food Service. They Closed the Buffet down for supper 5 nights.. and we had to eat at the A La Cartes for 5 nights.. Italian A La Carte, pasta was good, chicken & fish terrible, Japanese restaurant was ok.... and the Seafood restaurant, was Blah. we will go back to Cayo Coco, but not this Hotel. :( , The Beach is the most beautiful we have ever seen...People very friendly...But the bug bites, I am covered from head to toe, not sure if it was skeeters, sand flys or bed bugs, as my husband doesn't have a bite on him... We stayed in the Red Building, Beach view from Balgony, and Garden View from front. Very beautiful.We stayed on 3rd floor, main floor had bugs including lizards, and cockroaches the size of about 2 inches long and 1 inch wide.they did spray, but people had to put up with the smell....

Room Tip: Pick the Pink buildings, awesome view and quiet and path right to the beach beside..Pink building is...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jacknlori
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed February 8, 2012

A group of us went to Hotel Playa Coco and would definitely go back again. We all enjoyed ourselves. The food was to be expected for Cuba they did a great job of making sure buffet always had a good selection. Rooms were very clean. Great view of the ocean from most rooms. The entertainment staff is what is going to make us go back. Moko Jack and Maikel made our days and nights very fun. Made sure everybody was involved, from playing volleyball with us, to getting us on the stage for the hotel dance. They always made sure we were having a good time. Miss them alot..Cant wait to go back!!!

Room Tip: The yellow building was very close to the ocean and the pool it was perfect!!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends