“Another Great week at Hotel Colonial!”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Colonial Cayo Coco
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Midland, Ontario, Canada
“Another Great week at Hotel Colonial!”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I just want to start by saying that as you read through the reviews of Hotel Colonial don't allow the negative opinions of some to sway your decision about visiting this great resort. If you want a relaxing, enjoyable, fun vacation you won't be disappointed! If you're looking for a noisy, party atmosphere then I'd suggest the Tryp next door; you'll be missing out on the great Village atmosphere of the Colonial though. We took a walk over to the Tryp and wandered the resort and the feel/atmosphere doesn't come close to that of the Colonial; the Colonial has a very welcoming, charming feel to it and as you stroll the resort you have the feeling of being in a small Spanish Village. There are various areas to sit back, relax, enjoy a good drink and meet great people! The salt water pool area has a swim up bar with great music, the fresh water pool has entertainment, a great little bar where you can enjoy lunch, the lobby area has an amazing courtyard with chirping birds and great music and live nightly entertainment and the disco puts on fantastic nightly shows. The beach bar is a great relaxing place with good music, great food and an amazing view of the Ocean. The beach is a great place to lay back and enjoy a book or take a swim .The staff are amazing, they are all friendly, happy and very helpful/approachable. The Oceanview rooms have an amazing view from the balcony!

Despite the fact that renovations were just being completed in some areas, we had yet another amazing holiday and will definitely be returning in March!!

Room Tip: Oceanview rooms are great!! Buildings 14 and 15 are best for anyone with any type of mobility issues...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Jrobertson05

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

So my review... I just want to tell u if u love mexico you will not love cuba... totally different scene.... first off there is nothing to do in cayo coco and the bus ride to the city is 2 hours away. Second if you are looking for a fun party spot in cayo coco go to tryp ... we turned our braclets around and snuck over and their show was 100 times better and a newer funner younger crowd then the colonial. Watch out for the chicken as it is very undercooked... the resturant by the pool is the worst and really dark so u cant tell until u are half way through it that it was gross. Bring ketchup as you can always order fries but their catshup is gross!! The italian resturant is good best food all week... beach is very seaweeded and not cleaned... staff is fun... my mom went to veradero and had an amazing time so if you want to experience real cuba go there.... the whole plane that went to cayo was sick on the plane back even though we were all at different resorts (maybe food went bad on the long trip from the city?) People that gad been ro cuba for 20 years did not like whwt cayo has to offer... spend your money abd go somwhere else... this resort is equivalent to a travellodge in Canada 2 star at best.. no premium alcohol. . Try banana rum if u do go only thing I drank all week ... my friend and I still made the best of it and made our own fun. All Canadians so if you are expecting to meet other cultures dont go here either... hotel jump if u do go and cgeck out the other resorts. .. if I ever went again I would go to tryp

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank Taya H

Travelers are raving about these Cayo Coco hotels

Grimsby, Canada
Reviewed November 5, 2013

As my wife and I have been very loyal visitors to the colonial and after spending a week at the tryp because of the colonial being closed for renovations we really need to know if the colonial has reopened and would appreciate a real review of our favorite resort. If possible we would appreciate any info on a website, or e-mail address of someone in public relations or the general manager. This was a gorgeous resort and the people were just amazing. Liber in the bar, Michael in customer service, Angel and Omar, Yargy and Raoul at the beach, these people made our trips so special. We are planning on a return trip in February and just want to be able to contact someone. Thanks!

Room Tip: Ocean view is a very good choice, stay away from the lagoon and the main building( mosquitoes at th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank John D
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

We honeymooned here in May 2008 amazing place with lovely staff the food was excellent especially in the Cuban bar the pool was lovely and we would highly recommend the salsa evening nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff would love to go back

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank kelly4185
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

I took my family in April and with 3 teenagers I was a bit nervous because of the reviews. I am fortunate that I do travel and have had the opportunity to experience some truly fabulous 5 star resorts.

We packed our own ketchup, dressings, peanut butter and toilet paper and headed to the airport expecting the worst.

Boy were we pleasantly surprised. The resort is old, it does need work (which they had started when we were there) and it isn't really 5 star luxury. What it is though is a fun, safe place for a family vacation!

Not once did we have a problem finding something to eat. The kids didn't even crack open the jar of peanut butter! We did use the ketchup on burgers and fries as the Cuban ketchup is totally different to ours.

The rooms are older but they were clean and functional.

The beach was amazing. Crystal clear and soft white sand on the bottom!

The staff is great. From check in to check out everyone we dealt with was great.

When I asked my family where they wanted to go this winter on vacation, everyone instantly said back to The Hotel Colonial!

• Stayed April 2013
11 Thank Steveontcanada
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2013

went as a family holiday, but the food was dreadful, we all had sickness and diarrhoea. The hygiene levels were atrocious. it was also dangerous, with electric cables open by the pool, and on the ground for people to trip on, the pool was dirty and had a scum on top. and was closed most of the time. the balcony barrier in our bedroom on the first floor was so loose we could almost push it off. this place needs condemning, on the good side we met lovely people and had a good laugh or we would have cried.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank mwspw
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Colonial from August 17th-24th. We booked through TripCentral/Air Canada Vacations. Lets start off with the huge surprise that this resort is no longer owned by Blau - It is owned by the government of Cuba. Wouldn't you think that this would be THE FIRST THING that your travel agent would tell you? Nowhere on the Air Canada Vacations site does this say that. It's was a huge disappointment in that sense because the resort is well on it's way to going down hill. There was no form of management, every complaint seemed to be disregarded.

The resort was (for the most part) clean, well kept, and groomed. There was NEVER any toilet paper in any of the women's public washrooms. I had to carry my own roll with me wherever I went (discreetly, in my purse). I spoke to the hotel "representative", and he said he would "take care of it" (like he said with everyone else's complaints), however absolutely nothing was done. Is it really that hard to replace the toilet paper? I'm sorry, but that's gross.

This is another thing that TripCentral and Air Canada Vacations should have mentioned... About 1/3 of the resort was under construction. I live in (what seems to be) the construction capital of the world...That's the last thing I want to see on my vacation! All of the restaurants (except for one of the a la carte and one buffet) were under construction, so much for variety. The salt water/swim up bar was under construction as well....That was a huge bummer. The boardwalks to the beach just ended right at the sand, it was about a foot and a half drop. This made it difficult for children, elderly, and for those people who had anything in their hands.

The 24 hour bar served hamburgers, fries, and sandwiches (ham, cheese, and cucumber...that's it folks). However, anytime after 10:00 pm, you were limited to only sandwiches...If they even had any....We went the one night and we were only offered bread. What a joke!

Half of the bars weren't functioning...The beer taps did not work in the disco and the keg ran dry regularly at both the main bar in the lobby and at the 24 hour bar. You would think for an all inclusive resort, they would expect large volumes of beer to be consumed. A majority of the bar staff (with a select few who are the exception) were horrible. They made it seem like you were inconveniencing them if you ordered a drink. I'm sorry but isn't that your job? Even when I tipped, I still was treated in such a manner. This was really off putting. You could really sense the bad vibes from everyone. Be careful who you tip... Some people DO NOT deserve it.

I was also really disappointed in the lack of fresh fruit at the buffet. There was barely any!

I am not difficult to please, however all of these small things began to add up and they really go to me. I'm a student and I worked hard and earned my vacation, and I was really disappointed in this resort. We ended up meeting fabulous people and we all made the best of it.

Overall, our room was clean (the maid was great), the concierge was excellent, and a hand full of the bartenders were great. I would not recommend this resort to anyone. We spoke to some people who were staying at the resort right beside us (Tryp) and they had no issues!

I chose this resort based on review that I read. The reviews were wrong. I guess to get a true feeling for a resort you have to check it out for yourself. The beach was nice (very narrow though, kind of disappointing) and the fresh water pool was excellent. I would say that the cons definitely outweighed the pros. I would not come back here!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
#7 of 12 in Cayo Coco
Melia Jardines del Rey
Melia Jardines del Rey
#9 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to Hotel Colonial Cayo Coco? Share your experiences!