“a great vacation, an average resort...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Colonial Cayo Coco

Hotel Colonial Cayo Coco
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Montreal, Canada
“a great vacation, an average resort...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

I recently was at the Colonial Cayo Coco from february 10th to 18th with my husband and two kids (2 and 4), my mother-in-law and two friends.

First of all, we had great weather which was a huge positif of our trip! With regards to the resort, on the good side, the beach was beautiful and the newer pool was also a nice place to spend part of the day. This pool is next to the one which is next to the pizza restaurant (open only at lunch time) and next to the place where you can change your towels daily. Furthermore, around 11h00 am, one of the employees would offer drink service around the pool. We greatly appreciated his service and by the end of the week, he would bring us our drinks without even asking while we enjoyed the sun and pool. Lunch time offered a good variety : you can choose between the buffet, the burger/hot-dog stand, the pizza restaurant and the fish restaurant. The fish and chips, burgers, hotdogs, pizza and fries were all good. Another very positif aspect of the resort was the evening entertainement : there was always a show around 8:30-9:00 at the placita (of caribean flavor). We spent most of our nights at the piano bar - there was also a show - either a musician or two or three depending on the evening. He would sing many different songs (from Hotel California to La bohème). Also, this is the best place for drinks - would recommend to all to have a sangria at the piano bar!!! :-)

On the "not so fun" parts of the resort, the a la carte restos. The seafood (colonial) and the caribean restos are in closed buildings with no A/C - so eating a meal in a very hot place (the opened windows did not help much in terms of a confort) was very average. Furthermore, the food was below average compared to the rest of the food at the resort. The Italian is an air-conditioned area and the food is of better quality - you best to go two or three times at the Italian restaurant and forget about the two others. The buffet offered good food at supper time - just a lot of wainting in lines (for the pasta bar, the seafood/fish grill, the meat grill). Also, the salt water pool is in a horrible condition - and this is where you find the pool bar, unfortunately! Drinks are served in small plastic glasses everywhere in the resort except at the piano bar - I recommend bringing your own glasses or else you have to get up often because drinks are finished within a few sips! Also, there was a lot of smokers at this resort! So much, that we could not stay at the theatre where there was the nightly shows and the disco! Public bathrooms are generally in bad conditions and are usually dirty especially as the day goes by. We would often go back to our room to use the bathroom depending on the state of the public bathroom as we were in building 12 and that was a central location (but can be noisy as your close to the placita, disco, etc.). The overall grounds of the resort are in a degraded state, buildings are showing their age and gardens are not well maintened. Very little wow factor when waking on the grounds of the resort.

Finally, I would conclude by telling you that this resort is worth booking if you are on a tight budget and that respecting your budget is your priority. This hotel allowed us some budget-friendly vacations, which is better than none-at-all but it is definitely not my first choice in good price/quality resort.

Recommandations : Enjoy the intimate show at the piano bar at the same time as the big show in the theatre - the show is of better quality and the drinks are great. Try to reserve the Italian à la carte restaurant more than once. Don't forget your own glass (thermos) so that you don't always have to go back to the bar for drinks. Go to the newer pool which is very clean and not in a brokedown state. Choose a room close to the lobby/placita place and the new pool so that you do not have to walk to far (buildings 11-12-14-15-16-17). Also, bring yourself a good book, a deck of card and a small football to play with during your stay.

9 Thank calinours18

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Beaumont, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

My family (2 adults, 2 children) recently spent one week in the Hotel Colonial Cayo Coco. This was our first time to Cuba. Many people told us we would be disappointed with the food, but we decided to give it a try with an open mind.

First, the positives:

Staff - We found every one here to be quite pleasant, friendly and respectful. They work hard, take pride in their work, and were very cheerful to us during every interaction. The bartenders were particularly nice and patient with our kids, ages 5 and 7.

Pools - The fresh water pool was the hit with our family. The kids didn't like getting the occasional mouthful of salt water while playing in the salt water pool. The fresh water pool was also in much better condition overall. We had beautiful weather for 6 of our 7 days, so we really enjoyed using the pool every day.

Beaches - Beautiful beach, quite clean and well maintained. No problem with bugs on the beach, until our last day - it was cloudy and rainy and that seemed to bring the flies out. The water was clear and lovely to splash in. We took a day trip to Pilar Beach, and this was spectacular. Beautiful sand and water - well worth the trip out there.

Other guests - We found that it was mostly other Canadians here. Many from Quebec, lots from Ontario, and quite a few from other parts of Canada. Everyone was having a great time. Our only issue is that smoking is allowed pretty much everywhere you go, so as non-smokers, we found it a bit disgusting after a while. The majority of the people from Quebec smoked, and they smoked a lot.

Not for the not so good:

Food - Really, this was our biggest issue with this vacation. We are accustomed to eating quite well at home - fresh, organic, natural, non-processed foods. We are not picky eaters and actually eating a wide variety of ethnic cuisines. We were extremely disappointed with the food here. Not a single thing looked appealing on the buffet or at the a la carte restaurants. Most food tasted better than it looked, however, I can't say that I actually enjoyed anything that I ate the entire week. We ate to ease the hunger, and that's all. Nothing looked good, nothing tasted good, but on that note, nothing made us sick either. The entire approach to the food here is all wrong. The food alone is enough to prevent me from wanting to go back to Cuba.

Rooms - The rooms are not too bad, but they could certainly use a little TLC. They look ok on the surface, but if you look closely you see signs of aging and neglect. Windows and window frames are dirty and in rough shape. The doors are ill-fitted to their frames, so you get gaps that let in a few little critters. We had problems with the plumbing in one room, so we changed rooms, only to have the same problem a few days later. A sewage stench kept coming up from the toilets, which also didn't flush properly. We had a few insect problems in both rooms as well. The first room, on the ground floor, had mosquitoes in it. The second room, on the third floor, had no mosquitoes, but did have some ants - a few large red ants and lots of tiny microscopic ones. Nothing major individually, but all those little problems add up to a feeling of unease after a while. The beds were comfortable enough, but the pillows were terrible and the sheets felt damp all the time. Overall, we didn't sleep very well here.

So, to sum it up, we had a nice enough vacation - no snow and a break from routine, but we certainly would not return to this hotel, or Cuba in general.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
14 Thank Rachelle V
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Cuba is Cuba (and I blame the American embargo), but this hotel tries hard to achieve a 4 star rating for me and my wife. So many all inclusives are alike, and insulate the traveller from the locale in which it resides, but not here. Aptly named, the Colonial has many vestiges of an old-fashioned resort, but maintains a cleanliness and service standard of more modern hotels. Don't go to Cuba for the food, but the beach and the charming central square provided lots of entertainment for us day and night.
We stayed in building 30, and had ocean views - a great deal cheaper than the upgrade cost in the DR! The room was wonderful - clean, large and the best bathroom we have had in the Caribbean - with a bidet too. It seemed a little quiet, but in January perhaps that is the norm (although we heard the Tryp next door was overly busy that week).
Try the Spanish coffees, and the wine was quite drinkable at lunch and dinner. Beer was ok, just like the (watered-down?) versions at other resorts.
My wife did not want to leave - a second week would only cost a few hundred more!

Room Tip: Buildings 30 and 31 are near the beach but farther from the buffet. Rooms in the main building can...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank anderlooOttawa
caledonia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Just returned from Cayo coco where we stayed at the Colonial Hotel. First time in Cuba but our 7th country in the Carribean.
The arrival was very fast . flew through customs and on the bus in 20 minutes of landing. Pretty quick to get our room but took a bit to find it. Second floor so a bit rough hauling the luggage. The room was very clean from top to bottom . I switched beds with my daughter after the first night. She had a cot which was much softer than the hard bed I was on. We looked out to the lagoon so not much to see and a bit of a smell as well but very private.
I heard about the food but did not find it bland but did find it very repetative. Breakfast never changed. Bacon not crisp , eggs good ,coffee fine Not much i liked but didnt starve. Tried the Italian and liked it. We were lucky to always find a table because some evenings people were waiting to get in. I enjoyed the pork chops, not much veggies. Never starved but wasnt excited about the food.
The ground workers worked very hard and gave us little presents made of palms and the beach workers gave us shells . They put in long days cleaning the beach of seaweed.If you needed a chair they cleaned one for you. They beach goes for a long ways and safe to walk. The water was clean and not too wavy.
The pools were very clean but the salt water pool was a bit chilly.
The gardens were not the fullest but still they work on them each day.
There were lots of chairs at each pool and the beach. The bartenders were very good at any bar we went to. They would attempt to make us something fruity or layered. Sometimes the bathrooms in different areas had no toilet paper. Many didnt have working locks on the doors.
The evening entertainment at the bar in the main area was the same each day and tried to sell cds or ask for money for their enterainment they provided.
Also there was not much going on with the act ivity staff. Saw them about an hour a day. Night shows were the same just different music.
The trip to Moron was ok but watch out for people wanting money and scamming as well. The cataraman was good but not the best reefs to go to . I am sure the reefs close to the resort is better. Our Air Canada rep was great . Never could figure out the exchange rate. Whatever they want .
We got a great price for the trip so we got what we paid for. Not sure if we will return to Cuba . Lots of Canadians from all across the country but a very large amount of French Canadians. I would give this resort a three star rating.

Room Tip: 3224 overlooking the lagoon.
4 Thank caledoniavickie
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

Had a lovely time there. Buffet food was good but repetitive. A la carte was nothing special but a welcome change from the buffet. Be prepared to leave at least a pesos tip every time you eat if you want service the next time.

WARNING!!! Stayed in 1508 and although didn't show signs while there I came home with bed bugs. You won't know it right away as you have to become sensitive to their bites. That took 6 days for me and I thought they were mosquito bites at first but when I got home and started getting more i realized that they were bedbug bites and that they traveled home with me.

• Stayed February 2013
10 Thank WillBilliam
Espanola, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

This is an honest review and I've been on many all inclusives in the Caribbean. This being my third trip to Cuba.

The report itself is neat because its different than your run-of-the-mill beach resorts. It's quaint architecture is very fascinating. Rooms are very clean and very big. Some people may not like the open concept bathroom-read no doors. It was ok for us. Air conditioning worked great. Shower was a little annoying in the sense that you can't leave the hand-piece nozzle in the upright position to "shower" or your bathroom would be a fourth pool. It's ok, we made due and used it like a handheld. My only real complaint about the room is after a few nights I noticed the bed was actually damp, I don't know if it was from the air conditioning or what, but regardless I'm not going to cry about it and ruin my trip over it.

The resort grounds in certain areas could use some TLC as the resort is aging but they are working on it. The place is so expansive it will take a while, with the little staff management is employing. Still beautiful as there is no snow! But the place is very nice. The two salt water pools are nice but in need of some maintenance, I work at a salt water pool and know the damage those things will cause so maybe not the best idea putting those in. The fresh water pool is beautiful. The beach at the resort is not the best compared to the others along the strip, the sand is like quicksand and u sink into it, but if you walk a ways to the right it is more packed and great for walking a few miles.

Food: I'm not a picky eater so understand that this is more just a personal preference. The a-la-Carte's were fine, Italian being my favourite. The buffet for me was terrifying, I just found there was not a lot of variety and food was cold most of the time. I'll give credit where the credit is due, the pasta guy is amazing-so good, but that's really what I stuck to. Hubby said he liked the chicken, as well as I heard others saying they loved the buffet so again, personal preference and maybe timing. The pizza at yarey's was awesome. My fav spot was the grill near reception. Their breakfasts were awesome made fresh and not buffet style. All other snacks throughout the days were great, ham and cheese, chicken sandwiches, hot dogs and hamburgers. I probably sound like a fast food junky but trust that I'm not, I'm up for new things but I like a lot of flavour.

The staff were amazing, best at any resort of been to and I believe the resort management prides the self on this-but I have some choice words for management in regards to their practices: these poor people are over-worked, not paid well and understaffed! It's completely unfair to them, and yet they remain happy and cheerful when they have other idiot tourists barking at them when it's clearly not the worker's fault -you know who you are. Take your rage to public relations in the lobby, I did. Yelling at the poor workers who have no control over the situation is disgusting and you should be ashamed. Again, third time to Cuba and best staff I've ever seen, they are obviously working for tips in the tourism industry, but they will earn them-not expect them.

I'll recommend this place to anyone, it's great! We met some great people there and it's an intimate smaller place. Make sure you take a trip to pilar beach totally worth it.

Room Tip: Try to get the 29 and 30's blocks. Very pretty
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
22 Thank traveldiva1985
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

Well there were definately an awful lot more people at the resort this trip.
I believe somewhere around 600 compared to 100 last time. I really didn't notice a lot of difference other than a few longer lines here and there. The food was fine at buffet the few times I was there , had turkey a couple of times and of coarse pasta and veggies.
I don't do breakfast but heard no complaints and was NEVER there at lunch.
Lobby bar was a bit busy at times but not too bad.
The new snack bar by the piano lounge is great and had several burgers and ham & cheese's there in the evening after returning from the days adventure !
So really not much change just more people and the majority were French - Canadian which apparently makes a difference to SOME folks. lol
We spend most of the time off resort so can't comment on too many aspects of resort life.
Stayed in 3204 which is right on the salt water pool and far from the nightly noise :)) I really enjoyed the fact you can walk out your patio door and into the pool.
Was at Playa Prohibida evey day for some time but caught no fish . :(
Walked from Playa Prohibida to Flamenco Resort along the beach , about an hour and 15 min great walk , no people.
Any questions feel free to pm me.
LENNY

Room Tip: Prefer bld 31 ocean view or 32 on salt water pool , both away from noise !
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends