“Very Nice Hotel!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Montreal, Canada
“Very Nice Hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

We stayed at this beautiful hotel from December 22-29, 2012, and as you will see from the review below, had a wonderful time. The (formerly Blau) Hotel Colonial is the oldest hotel in Cayo Coco (built in 1994, renovated in 2004) and is showing its age in some places (ex. the saltwater pool that snakes through the property is beautiful, but could stand refurbishment in some places, and some exterior walkways need repair). This hotel really has a lot going for it though - it is architecturally distinct from any of the other hotels in Cayo Coco (which all look more or less the the same) and bears a passing resemblance to a quaint Spanish village, as opposed to the cookie-cutter British-package-tour-holiday-camp architecture of all the other hotels on the strip. By contrast, the Hotel Colonial has old-world charm in spades. The rooms are huge, clean, and reasonably modern (by Cuban standards). This is currently a middle-of-the-pack four-star hotel, but with a bit of investment to update and refresh some of the infrastructure, I dare say the Hotel Colonial could easily become the top hotel in Cayo Coco, the fundamentals are just that good. The recent addition of three freshwater pools (including a kids' pool) is a great start. I don't know if there is a proper spa on the property (I don't believe so) but this is also something management should consider adding, which all the other hotels have. The gym is also a bit dated and sad-looking, if you care about that kind of thing (I don't particularly). The lobby is an absolute jewel, and you will love sitting outdoors under the columns and arches enjoying a spanish coffee in the mornings, prepared by the friendly bar staff.

Without exception, we found the hotel staff to be very helpful, motivated, and hard-working - but I have found this to be largely true of nearly every hotel in Cuba I have stayed at, and the Colonial did not disappoint. The lush grounds were beautifully cared for, with a small army of gardeners out working every day that we were there. I am not a picky eater, and neither are our kids, and we found the food at the Colonial to be quite good, with enough variety (especially at dinner) to easily keep one satisfied for a weeklong stay. The turkey served on Christmas day was better than anything I have cooked myself!

The beach is absolutely fantastic, definitely superior to Varadero (walk the length of it at low tide, you won't regret it). Check out the Ranchon Las Dunas on the beach (just past the Tryp hotel) for great seafood and beer. The beach can get a bit buggy at dusk, and after a rainfall - bring some repellent.

During our stay (December 22-29, 2012) the hotel was quite empty, and as a result several restaurants were not open every night, for lack of clientele. The staff went to amazing lengths however, to provide a semblance of the full Colonial experience, doing rotating special à la carte meals in each of the restaurants, sometimes with outdoor shows, providing some welcome variety. Entertainment was available every night, and the house band is really quite good, doing a great job with the Cuban classics, and newer material.

Taste is an idiosyncratic, and ultimately personal question, but I vastly preferred the Hotel Colonial to the Tryp next door - the Tryp is also showing its age, but with its Varadero mega-resort, beer-chugging, spring-break vibe, is utterly charmless, with none of the quiet grace of the Hotel Colonial. As for the other resorts on the same strip of beach I have visited (the Iberostar and the Sol) both are shinier and newer than the Colonial, but again they lack the intimacy and village-square feel of the Hotel Colonial. The Iberostar and Sol were both nice enough though, relaxed, and less frantic than the Tryp, and I would include both on my list to consider if I ever go back to Cayo Coco. Half of the property at the Iberostar is actually built on pontoons in the lagoon though - very nicely done, but quite buggy, even during the day.

Price is obviously a major factor in determining the relative value of a vacation package, but in my opinion if you can get a week's vacation at the Hotel Colonial in the $700-$900 per person range (2 adults, 2 kids under 12) I would take it over any of the other hotels on that strip of beach, everything else being equal. We got great value for our vacation dollar at the Hotel Colonial, and I have no regrets at all. We would do a return trip with pleasure.

Bottom line: would I go back to the Hotel Colonial? Absolutely, I hope someday I do!

Room Tip: Any block in the 30s are good, close to the beach, quiet.
31 Thank FamilyVacationer265

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

We just spent a very happy Christmas week here with our two young kids. I love the Colonial (and the other family we met there, who have been back 4 times, agrees!). Specifically: 1. The Beach. The hotels sits right on the nicest stretch of the Cayo Coco beachfront. A short walk for little legs. 2. The Hotel. Spanish tiles/ charming multi-coloured villas instead of a typical hotel building/ lush, mature trees and climbing flowers everywhere provide lots of shade. Felt very glamorous to sip drinks under the arches of the lobby bar in the evenings while the kids played in the garden among the sparkling lights. 3. Entertainment. Smoking-hot house band "Quinteto Son de Cuba" and a full floor show by the troupe of talented young dancers (sequined bikini costumes popular with husbands). 4. The Food. Lots of fresh, local food and enough variety to keep everyone happy. 5. The Staff. The best reason. Many have worked here over 10 years, service feels like a well-oiled machine. Everyone from the gardeners, Yoima the enthusiastic mini-club organizer, the chefs and cleaning staff were lovely. Special thanks to Isel who runs the spa for the excellent massage (she was recommended by a few people), and bartenders Miguel (Mickey) and Damales who always remembered our favourite drinks and were happy to suggest new ones. (Only downside: bring bug spray for the evening mosquitoes. Consider bringing kleenex for when they occasionally run out of toilet paper, this is Cuba after all) Muchas gracias, we will be back!!

10 Thank sofia r
Hudson Quebec canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

Week of Dec 22-29, 2012
Returned last night from our family trip, we had a wonderful time, booked with Air Canada Vacations. Can't go wrong flying Air Canada, it all started in the Dorval Lounge, with drinks and food prior to boarding.
We met great people from Montreal, South Shore, Ontario.
Thanks to the staff and house maids that made our stay pleasurable.

The beach bar Arselio, beach attendant wiping down the chairs were great, nice people.
To the lounge bar maids who made my morning and evening latte's, they were great just like home.
Christmas was magical in the dining room, the chefs, waiters, waitress were fantastic.
Our meals were good, and especially the marguerita pizza's we had almost daily on the beach.

It was a quiet week, but couldn't ask for more of a fun relaxing get away from our snowy city.
Went on a Calache ride with my son Edward, the cowboy took us for a nice ride visting the hotels.
To The front desk and manager of the hotel, thanks for a great week, we will be back in 2013.
Happy New year to you and your Staff.
Pictures to post!!!!! Ciao Anna, Jay, Edward - from Hudson Quebec.

Room Tip: Stay in Buidings 3310,33, next to salt water pool and view of Beach. Close to Dining rooms.
11 Thank Anna Murano M
Nova Scotia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

My husband and I visited the Hotel Colonial (formerly Blau Colonial) with another couple in March of 2012. We are all around 30. This was our 3rd trip to Cuba, but first to Cayo Coco. We got a great deal through Sell Off Vacations (Nolitours) because there was a stop-over in Cayo Santa Maria on our return flight (we did not de-plane, just picked up passengers).
We had such a great time, that we vowed to come back with our kids (aged 2 and 4) in the future. We just booked our vacation for February 2013 and bringing the kids! Out of our combined 5 trips to the Caribbean (2 to DR and 3 to Cuba) this was the first resort we immediately saw ourselves returning to.
The rooms were nice, everything worked fine. Beds are definitely hard, but it didn't cause us any trouble.
Everything was open and we tried to take advantage of all the amenities. The a la cartes were great (although we had a hard time finding the Cuban restaurant! ha).
The nightly shows inside the disco were awesome.
We really had such a great time!
The only negative thing I can think of is the slow service at both pool snack bars. They try hard to keep up with the demand, but when everyone shows up at the same time at lunch, it's hard to find a table and get served in record time. But then again, you have other options!
There were always loungers available at both pools and at the beach. We did not spend a great deal of time at the beach, because it was quite windy (in our experience this is not uncommon in other resorts) but the water was AMAZING!!!!
We cannot wait to go back this February and take our girls!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank KaylieKR
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

We just came back from the Colonial and looked at some comments posted.
"Grain of Salt" comes to mind. Reading reviews that trash the place, comparing it to "Cruise Ship" or the better known islands other than Cuba is very unfair & unjust. Very naive!.
If you want that expensive experience - go to Disney, and/but be prepared to pay for it!
Value wise - this is a great place, food quality is good, the staff work, try and suceed in pleasing.
You'll not find a better place that shows "old world colonialism" in the architecture, the surroundings, the pace, the people not to mention the best stretch of beach in Cayo Coco.
I watched the management personel, Tito & Michel attend to requests - efficiently and promptly.
Comfortible, eye pleasing, decent food, great staff -Overall, a great trip was had!.
Can't wait to go back....
Hausta pronto!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
17 Thank K C
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

Visit to Colonial: Dec 5 - Dec 19, 2012

This beautiful hotel is open and wating for the guests to come and visit! The work and renovations have been on going despite of management and ownership changes, and the resort is looking absolutely gorgeous right now. The first hotel opened in Cayo Coco is a classic beauty. The Spanish architecture is lovely and the charm of the people and the resort is why I have made this my choice for a vacation spot for the past 6 years. Over the years I have met many other return and regular visitors to this hotel, and have made many good friends. So much so that we travel together or meet there for our vacations.

The staff are first class - sin duda!! Pack your manners, smile and tranquillo attitude and you will discover a little slice of Cuban paradise. The beach is awesome; wide at the present moment with lots of palapas for shade if you need them and of course all of the beach boys and lifeguards running to set your chairs up for you. Aurelio and the others are always there to help!

The food was excellent; very tasty with plenty of variety. The chefs and cooks take pride in preparing and serving you their best. Always a selection of meats (pork, beef, chicken and turkey and of course seafood), many different vegetables, rice, pasta, salads and yummy breads. Ask or tell them how you would like to have it prepared...and be sure that if it's possible...they will be happy to do it!! In the differnet restaurants I would ask my server for a recommendation, and was always very satisfied with a happy palate.

The bar staff are great. They are friendly, funny and know how to make you your favourite drinks or ask them to make their specialty. For me, it's Mojitos....even if I need to find, bring or have my own stash of mint - Lol. I also enjoy espresso, capuccino, which is so nice to enjoy sitting on the large veranda at the Lobby bar.

The rooms are large and spacious with well equipped bathrooms, closet space and hot water. The beds are very firm or hard, but the large soft pillows are nice. I left a note for the chamber maid to leave me 2 bottles of water everyday-and no problem! Always clean and inviting after a day of sun and fun.

The grounds are beautiful!!! The age of the hotel lends to the maturity of the landscaping and is one of my many favourite things about the hotel - que lindo. Yes, you need to take care walking around the resort due to the variety of surfacing of the walkways and flooring, but asi es - cobblestones, interlocking brick, cement and tile. Es Cuba! Go into the towns and cities, and it it the same. It helps to make it authentica and blends into the beautiful surroundings.

I love the music...always there beating like a heartbeat. The groups of musicians are very talented and the dance troupe puts on shows in the evenings. Something for everyone; music in the restaurants, outside while you sit and enjoy the evening or in the Piano Bar. The disco was just ready for re-opening after renovations, so I'm sure that the dancers will be able to showcase their talents even better. There are also night excursions to the Cave Disco and perhaps the Salsatec Disco at the Sol Hotel. The Animacion Team is always ready to make new friends and ensure that you have something to do- from going dancing with you to playing games, dance lessons, Spanish lessons, etc, etc. One morning while we were waiting for the rain to pass, Joan asked what we would like to do, and was only to happy to sit and give us a Spanish lesson. Again I say, simply ask and you will probably be pleased with how quickly they are only too happy to make your vacation a fantastic experience and adventure, or simply a cultural lesson on Cuba.

So, a gorgeous hotel in a beautiful setting with food and drinks, entertainment, beach and pools that are sooooooo nice. Once you have finished taking in all of the views and vistas and ambience...smile at the staff and strike up a conversation. I can not express enough how all of the staff have won over my heart by their friendly, loving, joyful hearts that they are willing to share with you and help you to experience Cuba and all its beauty. Reception, Public Relations, Bar and Restaurant staff, cleaners, gardners, maintenance crew, Animacion Team, Beach Crew, Tour Reps, Shopkeepers and Vendors, Medical Staff, Management...EVERYBODY is there to help you, visit with you and ensure that you have a wonderful vacation. Say 'Hola', say 'por favor' and you will be on your way to a fab vacation in Cuba!

GO! GO! GO! Dale.......vámonos

Bonnie

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
12 Thank justmeverdad
Toronto
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

This was my 1st time in Cuba and probably last. If you ever stayed in all-inclusives in Mexico or Jamaica or cruised in the Caribbean you'll be very disappointed. I knew Cuban food was not the best, but this was beyond poor. If you're bringing kids on this vacation they'll be starving the whole time!
Not sure if the lack of guests was due to the change of ownership, but the resort was deserted which meant little/no entertainment, not to mention all restaurants and grills closed :(
On the happier note, the beach is beautiful and the staff are really trying.

Save your money and take it somewhere else!

• Stayed December 2012

#7 of 8 in Oyster Pond
Royal Palms
Royal Palms
#1 of 3 in South Hill

Been to Hotel Colonial Cayo Coco? Share your experiences!