“Classic Colonial, Cayo Coco”

Hotel Colonial Cayo Coco
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
“Classic Colonial, Cayo Coco”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Visit to Colonial: Dec 5 - Dec 19, 2012

This beautiful hotel is open and wating for the guests to come and visit! The work and renovations have been on going despite of management and ownership changes, and the resort is looking absolutely gorgeous right now. The first hotel opened in Cayo Coco is a classic beauty. The Spanish architecture is lovely and the charm of the people and the resort is why I have made this my choice for a vacation spot for the past 6 years. Over the years I have met many other return and regular visitors to this hotel, and have made many good friends. So much so that we travel together or meet there for our vacations.

The staff are first class - sin duda!! Pack your manners, smile and tranquillo attitude and you will discover a little slice of Cuban paradise. The beach is awesome; wide at the present moment with lots of palapas for shade if you need them and of course all of the beach boys and lifeguards running to set your chairs up for you. Aurelio and the others are always there to help!

The food was excellent; very tasty with plenty of variety. The chefs and cooks take pride in preparing and serving you their best. Always a selection of meats (pork, beef, chicken and turkey and of course seafood), many different vegetables, rice, pasta, salads and yummy breads. Ask or tell them how you would like to have it prepared...and be sure that if it's possible...they will be happy to do it!! In the differnet restaurants I would ask my server for a recommendation, and was always very satisfied with a happy palate.

The bar staff are great. They are friendly, funny and know how to make you your favourite drinks or ask them to make their specialty. For me, it's Mojitos....even if I need to find, bring or have my own stash of mint - Lol. I also enjoy espresso, capuccino, which is so nice to enjoy sitting on the large veranda at the Lobby bar.

The rooms are large and spacious with well equipped bathrooms, closet space and hot water. The beds are very firm or hard, but the large soft pillows are nice. I left a note for the chamber maid to leave me 2 bottles of water everyday-and no problem! Always clean and inviting after a day of sun and fun.

The grounds are beautiful!!! The age of the hotel lends to the maturity of the landscaping and is one of my many favourite things about the hotel - que lindo. Yes, you need to take care walking around the resort due to the variety of surfacing of the walkways and flooring, but asi es - cobblestones, interlocking brick, cement and tile. Es Cuba! Go into the towns and cities, and it it the same. It helps to make it authentica and blends into the beautiful surroundings.

I love the music...always there beating like a heartbeat. The groups of musicians are very talented and the dance troupe puts on shows in the evenings. Something for everyone; music in the restaurants, outside while you sit and enjoy the evening or in the Piano Bar. The disco was just ready for re-opening after renovations, so I'm sure that the dancers will be able to showcase their talents even better. There are also night excursions to the Cave Disco and perhaps the Salsatec Disco at the Sol Hotel. The Animacion Team is always ready to make new friends and ensure that you have something to do- from going dancing with you to playing games, dance lessons, Spanish lessons, etc, etc. One morning while we were waiting for the rain to pass, Joan asked what we would like to do, and was only to happy to sit and give us a Spanish lesson. Again I say, simply ask and you will probably be pleased with how quickly they are only too happy to make your vacation a fantastic experience and adventure, or simply a cultural lesson on Cuba.

So, a gorgeous hotel in a beautiful setting with food and drinks, entertainment, beach and pools that are sooooooo nice. Once you have finished taking in all of the views and vistas and ambience...smile at the staff and strike up a conversation. I can not express enough how all of the staff have won over my heart by their friendly, loving, joyful hearts that they are willing to share with you and help you to experience Cuba and all its beauty. Reception, Public Relations, Bar and Restaurant staff, cleaners, gardners, maintenance crew, Animacion Team, Beach Crew, Tour Reps, Shopkeepers and Vendors, Medical Staff, Management...EVERYBODY is there to help you, visit with you and ensure that you have a wonderful vacation. Say 'Hola', say 'por favor' and you will be on your way to a fab vacation in Cuba!

GO! GO! GO! Dale.......vámonos

Bonnie

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
12 Thank justmeverdad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Toronto
Reviewed December 14, 2012

This was my 1st time in Cuba and probably last. If you ever stayed in all-inclusives in Mexico or Jamaica or cruised in the Caribbean you'll be very disappointed. I knew Cuban food was not the best, but this was beyond poor. If you're bringing kids on this vacation they'll be starving the whole time!
Not sure if the lack of guests was due to the change of ownership, but the resort was deserted which meant little/no entertainment, not to mention all restaurants and grills closed :(
On the happier note, the beach is beautiful and the staff are really trying.

Save your money and take it somewhere else!

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank BarefootChik

Travelers are raving about these Cayo Coco hotels

Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I forgot to write upon my return last march 2012. Nice place, you can eat outside, on the terrace all day long. A lot of variety for the food, nice beach but was windy all week while there on march 18 - 25 2012. Would return no problem, nice ambiance at night too, on the plaza with live music. Very relaxing, small hotel .

Room Tip: I was in room 3231 in building 31, on the second storey, VERY VERY NICE, close to the ocean, far fr...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank gloiredumatin
Hamilton
Reviewed December 5, 2012

My husband and I have been to Hotel Colonial (formerly Blau Colonial) once before, and returned because it is a great price for the things we value on vacation: beautiful beaches, decent food (it is Cuba, remember), and great staff. We've done all-inclusive resorts in Jamaica, Mexico, and the DR, as well as elsewhere in Cuba. While I'll be the first to admit you don't go to Cuba for the food, the food at Hotel Colonial is good by Cuban standards. We took most our meals at the buffet, and found the Italian restaurant to be the best of the a la cartes. We rarely went to the shows or disco this time, instead we spent most of our nights at the Piano Bar where Yoel, the bartender, always provides great service, or at the lobby bar enjoying a cigar, espresso or after dinner drinks.
A few tips:
Definitely go to Playa Pilar, a 30 min shuttle bus ride away. Some excursions take you there (snorkelling trip ends here), but for $5 you can see one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. If you bring a soft cooler with you, you can pack some drinks from your room, otherwise you can by beer and lobster from a little beach hut there.
At the resort's beach, head left to see very cool rock and coral formations -- but wear shoes! Head to the right, and the beach stretches on forever, getting shallower and calmer. After Tryp, there is a lobster hut where they cook fresh lobsters for (I think) $10.
On this trip, we also took a 3-day excursion to Havana. You usually have the option to fly or bus, but for us, the flight was sold out. I wouldn't recommend the bus, it was much longer than the 8 hour drive they described, taking closer to 12 hours. Havana was wonderful, but I would suggest taking the side trip if you stay a bit closer to the city, i.e. Varadero.
Additionally, if you travel in the low season, you can expect to meet a lot of Cuban families at the resort. For us, this was a plus, we practiced our Spanish and they practiced English, and we gave their kids small presents and Canadian souvenirs. But some tourists are annoyed by this, if this is you, avoid the low months that run April-September.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
13 Thank 2ticketstoparadise
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed November 25, 2012

This was my first all inclusive trip. The idea that I was going to be on the beach for 7 days in paradise, leaving behind the snow was very exciting. However, the minute I got there I was in shock at how poor the grounds looked and how old the resort actually was.

Here's my list of my pros and cons of the Colonial:

Pros:
-Angel (the bartender) was AMAZING. He always served the best drinks with a smile.
-Beach - always clean

THAT'S IT!!!!!

Cons:
- it rained 3 out of the 8 days we were there. That is something that the resort couldn't control, however the water would ALWAYS come into our room leaving HUGE puddles (we were on the top floor), so be sure not to leave anything on the floor.

-BED WAS ROCK HARD!

- food. Save yourself the time and save your stomach. GO TO THE SNACK BAR, but even the food there wasn't great. DON'T EAT AT THE SEA-FOOD a la carte. ANTS COVERED THAT RESTAURANT, INCLUDING THE TABLES AND WALLS. The best a la carte was the Italian restaurant, but still wasn't that good.

-Service was SLOW at every restaurant

-the theater where the shows took place WAS GROSS. It stank, there were holes in the floor and sticky floors...so watch where you step.

- The pool. The paint is coming off everywhere.

SAVE YOUR MONEY, TIME, AND VACATION. GO SOME WHERE ELSE!
STAY AWAY!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank JaymeS331
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed November 16, 2012

This was my first time in Cuba, stayed for 8 days, October 27th to November 4th, 2012. Loved it. Such a beautiful place, the beach was awesome even after Sandy.
All staff were extremely nice, respectful and fun. They work very hard and long hours, but they're always smiling and giving you good service and they never ask for anything. Except for the manager; our flight was delayed and we had to stay overnight, he did not want to accomodate us by exchanging a few $$. But 2 frenchmen helped me out, so everything was ok!
Our room was always clean, they brought us cola, water, soap, clean towels everyday.
Food A la carte was pretty good, buffet was ok, however if you want something good make reservation with the front desk guy for a huge lobster!!! Loby bar has the best coffee's.This hotel is 3/4 Star, you get a good price so don't expect a boring 5 Star. I'm not a fan of big hotels, full of noisy tourists. I'm not old or boring just like real people. Not a place to party but you defenitly can:)
For an excellent meal you have to go to playa Prohobida (like bicycleman_8 said) OMG this was my favorite place, I had the best lobster, shrimps and fish of my life!! There is a guitar guy (forgot his name:( ) that should be making a lot of money down there. He sang and talked to us just like we were friends and never looked at us like; oh those french tourist! There is also a little black cat and a cute dog that come to greet you,,,,,,,so nice.
Would go back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
10 Thank valerie l
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed November 9, 2012

First off I have stayed at this resort before , last year for a few days and 12 years ago when it was still a part of Tryp.
I have visited many times every time I go to Cayo Coco but only for brief periods to see someone or buy cigars at the best place in the Cayo's to do so.
So we arrived for our 11 day visit on Sat after Sandy had passed thru and were immediately ripped off at the airport Cadeca for an extra 6% on exchange so nothing new there !!
We always have a car so didn't have to deal with the bus and as I was arguing with Aduana over how much duty I would pay on stuff I brought for the hurricane victims my buddy got a few beers and loaded the car , by the way they may try and charge $3 CUC for a beer tell them NO you'll pay $2 ( we had a driver by the way )
So check in went smooth and we were given rooms that we had requested in bld 31 on the ground floor which were perfect for us. We parked the car by the pink tower and had a short walk to our rooms.
Great set up with the patio and a few chairs facing the ocean , I took a small table from the room out and spent a fair bit of time out there reading or just gazing!
The room itself was large and bathroom was also large and everything worked and no complaints in this area at all. The fridge had a cola , beer and large water which was replenished each day.
There were not many guests so the evening meal was in the buffet and al a carte on alternating nights and we had no complaints about the food at all , good variety at the buffet at all meals and al a carte's were fine ( actually really good )
We don't spend a lot of time on the resort but did hang around a bit and found the service at the bars to be excellent and the grounds well kept. I did notice the lack of workers hounding you to buy stuff or " give " you hand made hats and all the usual crap. jejeje
The new manager seems to have the respect of the staff unlike the last one and he can be seen often walking around the resort checking on things and enquiring about your stay.
The front desk staff here are amazing and deserve a special mention as they really go out of their way to help as does the PR staff , good job !!!!
There was a mixed bag of guests staying there at the same time and all seemed to be enjoying themselves. This is NOT a party resort although you can party.
All in all we had a very good stay at the Colonial and would have no problem recommending it to friends or family.
The beach is WAY better than Tryp next door as at high tide the water is right into the palapas.
Any questions feel free to message me.
Also a MUST side trip to Playa Prohibida only a few km's down the road for some great live entertainment and fresh lobster or fish lunch and you can even use their equip to try your hand at some shore fishing !

Room Tip: Prefer the 30's blocks away from the action and close to the beach. 31 & 33 beach view 32 on...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends