“Our first visit” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Kitchener, Canada
“Our first visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

This was our first visit to Cuba and we were greeted with very nice friendly people who were eager to make us our stay very comfortable. The beach was beautiful the pools were nice. The restaurants had a lot of variety and the bars too. Our hotel room was comfortable and clean and the grounds were well maintained. We enjoyed the nightly entertainment. It was a good family place. We enjoyed the trip to the market. We enjoyed our stay and would recommend it and will return again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Larry C
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear Larry C,
Thank you very much for sharing your comments about your stay in our hotel.
We are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and would recommend it and will return again.
We see you back soon in the Tryp Hotel!

Tryp Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,286)
Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

Our travel dates were 7th thru 14th April 2014. We have stayed at the Tryp several times before and each time it has been a great vacation. The hotel rooms are in dire need of renovation but they are clean and I believe the hotel is starting the renovation process. The staff are very friendly and helpful, the beach is amazing, food is very good especially considering this is Cuba. All in all you cannot go wrong for the price.

Room Tip: If you don't like noise all day until 11pm don't stay near the main pool.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 2wicethefun
Dear 2wicethefun,
Thank you very much for sharing your comments about your stay in our hotel.
We are happy to read that on the overall you enjoyed our hotel and service. We are working on rooms renovation, as you said.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

Travel dates: April 6th-12th
First off, I will preface this to say that this was my first time travelling down south. However, there was 4 others in my party that have travelled down pretty much yearly for the last 10+ years. We booked the Superior Oceanview Room through Sunwing for a few extra dollars, and it was well worth it. Upon check-in, all 6 of us (3 rooms) were bumped up to suites for unknown reason, needless to say, we were quite happy about that.

Rooms

I didn't see any of the regular rooms, just the suites, and they were fantastic. 2 rooms plus a bathroom with jacuzzi bathtub. The "sitting" rooms in each of the suites had minor differences like bigger/smaller coffee tables, chairs, etc, but they were all quite comfortable. The sitting room also had a bar fridge that was stocked with 2 beer and 3 soft drinks that was re-stocked daily (tip: before leaving in the morning, stuff un-used beer into your luggage so the fridge gets refilled. this is an all-inclusive, but sometimes its nice having a can of beer in your room in the evenings). Also in the sitting room is another TV that we never turned on, and why would you, but its nice that it was there. Very spacious area. The bedroom section had a king size bed, a couple of night stands, chairs, flat screen tv, closet with 2 safes (1 didn't work), ironing board, umbrella (nice touch), slippers, bath robe and extra blanket if you need it. Bathroom was nice as well, standard hair dryer, jacuzzi bathtub with shower attachment. There were two balcony entrances, one in the sitting room and one in the bedroom, the balcony was nice, 4 chairs, a table, and a somewhat obstructed view of the ocean, which wasn't an issue as we were still getting the ocean breeze to keep us cool. We were on the 2nd floor, but the view from the 3rd (top) floor was excellent.

The room was very clean, like exceptionally. No issues with that whatsoever. There was only 1 night that we found a bug, and it was because my girlfriend left a glass of sparkling white wine out overnight, and some critter found its way into it and died a quick drunken death. Other than that, nothing. The maids did an excellent job during the week, and we noticed after check out that they spent a very long time on our rooms, like probably almost an hour. From outside I saw them cleaning all the windows and even sweeping and cleaning the balcony. Quite impressed with the detail they put into their work.

Power Outlets

As stated above, I only seen the suites. In our rooms, almost every plug was a hybrid plug that accepted both the cuban plug (2 circular prongs) and the north american (two vertical plugs). However, beware that the power provided is 220V. If you're bringing a laptop, tablet or cell phone, you can plug these right into the wall as they generally support 110V-250V (read the markings on the adapter itself), my girlfriend's hair straightner was also supported. My father's electric razor, however, was not and he didn't think to check before he plugged it in (bye bye razor). So, you will not need to bring an adaptor with you (though never a bad idea), but you may need to bring a voltage converter with you if whatever your bringing doesn't support 220V.

I will admit, I'm a very picky eater, and this was the one thing I was worried about and giving me anxiety about this trip. I read all the reviews on people complaining about the food in Cuba, and on this resort. After spending a week there, I got to say, the food was well beyond my expectations, and often fantastic. First, because we had suites, we had access to the A-la-carte restaurants I believe 5 different nights. I only went to 3, the International, Italian and BBQ. I wasn't that impressed with the international, but others in my party enjoyed it. The BBQ one was decent, got a good steak there, but the 'roasted potatoes' side was like half a potatoe and the rest other veggies. I really enjoyed the Italian restaurant, it was great. My girlfriend went to the Oriental, and thought it was great.

For me, the best was the Buffet. I admit, I had a certain idea on what the buffet would be, and I was thinking cafeteria-style food, massivly produced and not very good. However, i was thoroughly impressed with it. There are several stations setup for made-to-order things like pasta, burgers and pizza, and the food changes daily. Its open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and I believe anyone can find something they would like there. There is also a dessert station that I admit I went to more often that I should have. For someone who is picky, I had no issues with the food on this resort.

There is also a nice little pizza "hut" (no, not that one) just off the beach on the west end of the beach that had some nice pizza's as well, with a nice view of the ocean and not very busy when we went a few times.

Look, you won't find "fine dining" here, but for me, it kept me fed during the week, and that's all I was looking for.

Drinks/Bars

There's plenty of places to get your drinks, and the selection seemed pretty good. There was only 1 beer on tap (not sure of what brand), but it was much better than I anticipated. I'm a beer drinking, and tend to lean more towards 'craft' brews, but this beer was "good enough" for the week, and I enjoyed it. I'm not sure how the selection was of liquor, but it looked pretty good.

There is a bar by the quiet pool which is open until 5pm, another one on the beach that I never went to, so I'm unsure what time it closes. A 24 hour bar near the entertainment stage, another bar in the lobby, and of course the restaurants and buffet have drinks.

My suggestion is to bring an insulated travel mug with you, like a thermos. I used an 18 Oz one and I found it perfect. Kept my beer cold while lazing around on the beach with the sun blazing on it while half buried in the sand. Make sure its got a good seal when closing, as its quite easy for sand to get in there.

Staff

Simply, the staff were amazing. Every single person I met went out of their way to say hello (¡hola) to us. Whether it be servers, bartenders, maids, security or grounds keepers. Everyone is so friendly. It doesn't seem like they are friendly because they have to be, or for tips or whatever, it genuinely feels like want to be friendly with you, to chat, shake your hand, meet a new friend. That's the vibe I got from the people. Even when we took some scooters out on the highway away from the resort, people still seemed quite friendly on the street.

The first day we ate in the Buffet, our server (named Fidel) found a table for us, and each day after that, he came up to us as soon as we came through the door and showed us to our table and had our drinks ready by the time we gathered our food. It was like he had the table reserved for just us, which was great and made the experience so enjoyable.

Hotel Grounds/Beach

The grounds were well taken care of, everything looked so beautiful each day, the grounds keepers did a great job. The beach was amazing, and from our walks up and down the beaches seeing resorts nearby, the beach in front of the Tryp is the best one in the area. My parents went on a day trip to another resort in a different area and also stated that our beach was better. Most of the action goes on down on the central/west end of the beach where the beach bar is. However, here's a tip, if you get your spot up on the east end of the beach near the diving center, the quiet pool bar is just a short walk away from the beach to get your refills.

There are 2 pools on the resort. One is the massive main pool near the lobby, you can't miss it. It looks quite beautiful, and it seemed like during the day it was the "party" center of the resort. Lots of loud music, lots of people around, day activities, swim up bar, etc. However, we weren't there for a party, we were there to relax, so we spent most of our afternoons at the "quiet" pool on the east end of the resort. This was so much more relaxed, not over crowded, no loud music, etc. I like that this hotel caters to both sides of the vacation experience, as we were quite happy with this setup.

Entertainment

We didn't participate in any of the day time entertainment as we spent our mornings on the beach, and afternoons at the quiet pool. However, by the sounds of it, there were lots of day time activities at the main pool, I just can't comment on them. The night time entertainment at the stage was great, we were quite impressed. First there's a half hour kids show, which was pretty much the same thing each night with kids participating, but that's fine, we all know kids can do the same thing day in and day out for a very long time without getting bored. The later entertainment consisted mostly of dancing, singing, and on a few nights activities with crowd involvment. It was a nice way to kill an hour or 2 in the evening. One night, there was the aquatic balet which was absolutely fantastic, they did a great job.

Complaints

Look, i'm usually a pretty cranky person, and will complain about just about anything. But, after a full week at Tryp, I have very little to complain about. The only thing that really stuck out to me was the front desk staff. I found them very short, rude, and absolutely none of the friendly attitude I found from every other employee on the resort. I don't know why they were like this, but it really stood out.

The resort is a bit dated, but not in a bad way. For example, our room's decoration seemed like it was right out of the 80's, but we found it quite charming. Others may have a problem with it, we definitely did not. Other parts, like the bathroom, felt quite modern.

Conclusion

If you haven't been to Tryp Cayo Coco and are looking to plan a vacation, I highly recommend this place. Do yourself a favour, splurge a little and get an upgraded room, its well worth it. I will definitely return again at some point, it was a great week with great memories.

Note: If anyone who has been there knows the name of the song that is "very popular on the resort", please tell me, its been stuck in my head since we left. And not the baseball song, the other one.

Room Tip: If you're looking for a quiet place for a room, the east end of the resort is best. Try to get...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Corey Q
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Corey Q, we would like to thank you for choosing our Hotel to spend your holidays, and taking part of your time to share such a nice comments; they are really appreciated, regarding that our main purpose is always to improve our services, in order to fulfil your expectations. Our staff works really hard in order to please our guests as much as possible.
We have been working for some years, and we need to refurbish some details from our rooms, but we are already working on it; in order to make of our Hotel a more pleasant place to spend the holidays.
On the other hand, we would like to apologize for the incidents you had during your stay with the Reception staff; we have been working with them and their attitudes in order to avoid unpleasant situations for further occasions.
We really look forward to count on your presence in a near future to keep giving you unforgettable experiences and the wishes to turn in one of our many returning guests.

Hamilton, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

Had a great time at Tryp.. Nice resort, nice pool, great food! But the entertainment crew are really what makes it a great time.. Danny is the master of all shows and games, he is great at getting the crowd involved and making sure everyone has a great time! He is also an amazing MC and makes the nightly shows a blast! All of the entertainers do a great job.. But of all the resorts I've been too, Danny really is a step ahead of the rest ! I will definitely return!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ije E
Dear Ije E from Hamilton,
Thank you very much for sharing your comments about your stay in our hotel.
We are happy to read that you "Had a great time at Tryp.."
We have passed your good comment to Danny.

Newmarket, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

We went back to Tryp again the last wk. of mar. 1st. wk. of april/2014. This was our 28th. vac. to Tryp since 1994. Yes the hotel is showing it's age now; but you can't find nicer & more friendly staff. Over the years we have had acouple small issues with our room but they were taken care of in a timely fashion. We find the food quite good. They are trying to update the rooms as fast as the can without disruption on a large scale. When you are open24/7--365 days a year it's hard to get anything done. I;am sure the new manger William will be very good for this resort & guests. We have made many personal friends of the staff over the years & their families. If you go to Tryp knowing it is not a 5 star Canadian hotel you will enjoy yourselves.

Room Tip: blocks 7-8 are close to everything
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank oldman60
Dear oldman60,
Thank you very much for sharing your comments about your 28th stay in our hotel!
The best thing this hotel has is repeating customers like you. This makes us happy after a long day of hard work.
We are working on the bedrooms and other areas of the hotel.
We hope to see you soon on your 29th stay!

Timmins, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

Best beach I have seen in the Caribbean to date food very good alacartes were great staff very friendly and helpfull not enough shade around pool rooms clean but need updating only one bad thing I can say is public washrooms not taken care of very well I will defiantly go back just loved it

Room Tip: Next time I go will be around the quiet pool
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carson S
Dear Carson S,
Thank you very much for sharing your comments about your stay in our hotel.
We are happy to read that you enjoyed our beach, food and service.
We pay attention to the issues you mention about cleaning, mainly, so we can improve day by day.

Porto Alegre, RS
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

We had booked three bedrooms two months before our arrival. When we arrived we were directed to another hotel because it had not any rooms available! We waited an hour and a half to be solved everything and send us to another hotel, less than we had booked. With so much confusion a friend of mine lost her purse with all documents and we did not find.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Rosimeri
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Dear Rosimeri from Porto Alegre,

We regret to read that there were some issues with your reservation and you did not spend your holidays in our hotel.
We hope we can have a chance in the future and you change your perception for this hotel.

Tryp Cayo Coco Hotel