“rustic and friendly”
Review of TRYP Cayo Coco

TRYP Cayo Coco
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Reviewed January 26, 2014

My wife and I attended our second visit to Cuba, deciding to stay at Tryp once again.
The resort is dated and the rooms are dark but we are not there to sit in our rooms. We could have upgraded to ocean view and decided to pass. Both visits the rooms were comfortable, clean and the cleaning staff are good.
On this visit we were welcomed by Yoleidy in the buffet. It was nice to be remembered. The staff is so friendly and the managers try hard to fill any need that came up.
This spring we will be back yet again to enjoy the sand, the resort and the staff.
Side note: If you are expecting spicy food you will be disappointed. The food at the resort is subtle, just the way my wife and I like it.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Dear Wayne S,

Thank you for your time to write your comments and for choosing our Hotel once again to spend your holiday. It is nice to know that you enjoyed your second time and that you will be back on spring. Hope to meet you here then.

Tryp Cayo Coco Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (6,000)

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Traveled to Tryp Cayo Coco in Feb 2013. Air Canada lost my bag and so I had no clothes other than those on my back for the first two and 1/2 days. Never heard any update from Air Canada on my luggage not even when it arrived 2 1/2 days later Cuba is not an easy place to buy clothes! The hotel was nice enough. When looking at the number of stars....do not even consider one with less than 4. Expect that a 4 is more like a 3 in Mexico and plan accordingly. Rooms are totally fine...bathroom is a bit sketchy......Toilet required a lot of attention. Would not flush down paper....had to do a lot of extra flushing just to make sure. Shower rod was barley attached to the tile wall....After pulling on the curtain too aggressively to open it...it came down and we had to snug up the screw hole with a toothpick to get it to stay secure. I found the pool to be quite cold.....but most time was spent at the beach so not a big deal for me. Hot tub....also way to cold....might have been having maintenance issues. Food in Cuba is Spanish influenced and as such is fairly bland. Strongly advise you bring your own hot sauce to spice things up if you are so inclined....you won't find any there. Food at the resort was plentiful with lots of option especially for breakfast. We bought the upgrade package to allow for more restaurant meals and a better room.....Well worth the money! Helped with a super fast check in and our dinner schedule was already set at proper dinner times and we got to try all of the restaurants. Coffee in the cafeteria buffet area is undrinkable.....make sure to grab some from the bar instead. Bring artificial sweetener if you need it...they won't have any. Upgrade also meant that the bar in the room was stocked properly. They accommodated with diet pop for our friends diabetic child. Staff was great!!!
We did the nearby city tour to Moron and Ciego de Avila....with a stop at sugar cane refinery (no longer operating)...well worth it...nice architecture...nice people....be prepared to be hit up for money...interesting assortment of vehicles..But don't bother to buy cigars in town......cheaper at the airport on the way out. If you want to see Cuban people....you will need to leave Cayo Coco to do it.....only those with a work permit on Cayo Coco are allowed onto it. If you want to bring some things to leave....do so...the people have so little access to things....they will love it. I left a dress, some high heels, make up samples, perfume for the maid. If they can't use it...they will sell it. I left a bag of candy with the grounds keepers and a left handed baseball glove and some balls with the tour guide. Keep in mind that the maids, and serving staff and tour guides stand to make a lot in tips so don't forget about the people behind the scenes that make your trip comfortable. Nightly entertainment on the stage was first rate. Took the catamaran excursion to Pilar Beach. Was a bit over crowded for my taste. I was interested in the snorkeling mainly, so to do it again I would take the bus to Pilar Beach and bring my own gear instead. Not enough time was spent snorkeling on the tour. Pizza bar down by the beach is a great place for lunch.....the cabin dining room Casita Cubana was the best a la carte for my taste....husband liked the Asian restaurant...The best hiding spot was the little bar at the entrance to the Italian and Chinese restaurant...tucked away and private for a relaxing evening drink. If you can...bring a "big gulp" type covered plastic cup to hold your drinks at the beach...the small plastic cups at the outdoor bars are very small!! Bring insect repellant...just in case. Take a swim suit and one change of hot weather clothes in case your luggage gets misplaced like mine. While Air Canada would have reimbursed me for clothing purchases......there was very little to choose from. I now own a dollar store quality lime green bikini....as it was the only suit that was large enough for me...I am a ladies size 10 at most. Walked down the beach to the Iberostar next door...was very nice....but very quiet...the crowd was older in general and the atmosphere more sedate. walked on down to the Sol and the Melia as well...they were OK...bit run down. In the other direction the Colonial had very interesting architecture and a neat bar...but the grounds were a bit let go. Would go to Tryp again! Don't expect it to be perfect...and be prepared and I think you'll enjoy the resort and the lovely people.

Room Tip: Take the upgrade and stay away from rooms near the bar....it goes late and can be loud.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DebbieBPG

Dear DebbieBPG,

Thank you for your comments. Our apologies for the inconveniences that you found in your room. It is nice to know that you would comeback to our Hote. Hope it will be soon. Your comments are very helpful. Thanks again,

Reviewed January 26, 2014

We have visited this hotel many times before and as always we were very happy. Yes, the rooms are a bit outdated but in reality how much time do you spend in your room. the beach is amazing and the grounds are beautiful, but the reason we keep coming back again and again is because of the great staff. They are always smiling and so very helpful and they treat you as part of their family. Keep up the good work and cannot wait to come back for our next visit. Also the food is delicious, my husband is a very picky eater and in all our visits, over 20 at the moment, he has never once had a complaint.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Lindy5_ca,

Thank you for your comments here and your loyalty. Its is very nice to know that you consider our Hotel your home away from home. Your comments are very helpful for us. Thank you again and hope to see you here again very soon.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Beautiful nice beach; rooms hmmm have had better, smelt like mold; love the cats and birds; the service was good; no elevators but I didn't need one until I sprained my ankle; was sad to see the horses so skinny; I am use to staying at the Iberostar Laguna Azul, so guess that's why the rooms didn't meet my expectations. The food was great.

Room Tip: when going to the bar/restaurant area the odor was like sewage.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Diane H,

Thank you for your comments and for choosing our hotel this time for your holiday. We sincerely regret have not been able to fulfill your expectation regarding rooms. Actually we are working on rooms renovations. Thank you for your comments again, our guests´comments are always welcomed.

Tryp Cayo Coco Hotel.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

My friends and I had a pleasant, fun and very repeatable experience at TRYP CAYO COCO resort in Cuba. If you are looking for a well priced, good time for both adults and children, (families, couples or singles), with a wide range of restaurants and food choices for all (from surf to turf), the accommodations were modest but clean, the staff were, pleasant, fun and willing accommodate, great beach with food and drink nearby, lots of other tourist excursions to partake in, e.g. take a bus ride secure a transfer, have your Lunch at one of the affiliate hotels then get back onto the bus headed to Pilar Beach which is a must see; enjoy the afternoon there, then get back onto the bus head for your hotel, and alas for those of you who go there for the drinks there was lots to consume from Cappuccino to Cognac. My only regrets (2) were I took too many American :-( and not enough Canadian dollars which are easier and better to convert the other being I was only there for a week, not enough time...so many interesting things to do and places to visit. I won't make these errors again. Overall I had a "GREAT" vacation in Cuba and at TRYP CAYO COCO " a great big HOLA" to all of the awesome staff there, especially my new pals with the "Y" names :-) interesting so many names begin with "Y" over there. I anxiously await my return there. I hope that you will have an experience like mine. Regards Marc. P.s. It was well worth paying for the VIP upgrade :-D

Room Tip: Beach front room was my choice second floor #542....I slept well :-)
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Marcco P,

It is very nice to know that you had a great time at our hotel. Thank you for your time to write your comments here and hope to see you again here very soon.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

is was my 2nd time at this resort and I loved it again. My husband whose first time travelling also loved this resort. Tons to do food is great ! (hashbrowns and bacon every morning).I have recommended this resort to all my friends and id definitely stay again. My problem that we did was the excursions one in particular.Now for the excursions. I have been to Cuba a couple times and stayed at tryp 2 times and never went on excursions bit my husband wanted to so we did. We did the boat adventure amazing a must do!! The guide is great the boats are fun And the snorkeling is beautiful. We did the paliar plus I would only recommend if you love the beach all day because there is nothing else to do but lay on the beach.Now for the worst excersion ever that I personally thought would be the best.the jeep safari thwy picked us up at the resort but no one told us we needed our passports visa and licenses. So we had to go back to our room and get them. They took us to the start point at there office and explained some stuff to us. They mentioned about people complainimg about being ordered to tip and apperantly thats not the case tip if you want but you don't have to. We started our drive to Moron I didn't really want to go into the town as I have been to Havana and it was a nightmare. When we got to Moron they took is to an expensive store where they made thing out of forks. They were trying to make us buy something but a spoon necklace was 20 dollars. After the store they told us to go explore for 45 mins. The tour guides then disaperred and we were left on our own with all these people coming up and asking for money or trying to scam you.I had had enough 10 mins in and I wanted to find the guides so I felt a little safe. Most of the resort workers live in moron and say how beautiful it is they are not the ones scaring you its th others that follow you around and dont leave you alone.after we finally found the guides we left and went to a restaurant where the food was buffet style. We ate it was pretty good if you like flies touching your food. as we were eating the waiter came up with a bowel and told me its for tips. If I liked the food leave money. I was not impressed I do not feel I have to be told to tip. I will tip on my own accord. We left a Paso . He came and got the basket and asked me if I did not like because 1 paso is not enough. I was floored. I told him to take it and walk away or I would take it back. I know Cubans think were rich but we work hard to just go on vacation and we cant just tip everyone 5 pasos or wed be broke. I tip my bartenders good my maids good but what was I tipping this man for just standing there ? My day was ruined by that. We then went up the mountain and stopped at a house to see the view there was a snack set up and again we were asked to tip. Please understand that the lunch and snacks were to be included in the $179.00 trip everywhere we went we were being ordered to tip. At the end we went to the crocodile farm that wad the best part of the trip and the only place that didn't make you feel like you had to tip. If you can go just there id recommend that. I enjoyed my vacation at tryp I had a great time this review is not tryps fault I will still go back :)

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Lyndsay N

Dear Lyndsay N,

Thank you for your comments. We are really sorry knowing about your experience on the Safari excursion. We should say that is not the general practice on the Cuban people. In general Cubans are very friendly and polite. We will be passing your comments here to the persons that organize this excursion, for sure it will be useful for them to have your comments. We are glad to know that you had a great time in our resort and hope to meet you here next time.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

It was good for the price at that time of the year. The beach is beautiful and there is always a lot to do, great animation staff.
The only bad thing that I have to said is that it would be nice to have more comfortable chairs to sit during the spectacles or near the bar. Also having some food like sandwich or fries in napkin or plastic glass is not the best way to enjoy a small snack.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mikeletrucker

Dear Mikeletrucker,

Thank you for your comments. We will take your opinion about the chairs at the shows place and bars and also the snacks presentation into consideration for improvements. Every clients comments are very helpful. Thank you for your time once again and for having chosen our Hotel for spending your holiday. Hope that you visit us again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Coco
#1 of 12 in Cayo Coco
IBEROSTAR Mojito
IBEROSTAR Mojito
#8 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to TRYP Cayo Coco? Share your experiences!