“Loved our trip to tryp again and cant wait to go back”
Review of TRYP Cayo Coco

TRYP Cayo Coco
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Another brill holiday, stayed sept 6 to 21st and although some restraunts were not open due to low season could not fault everone at the hotel for making sure we had a great time.
special mention due for sunny osmany alexander and santiago. The people at tryp are the reason we keep going back. Other reviews suggest hotel needs updating, this may be true but there are far more positives when you choose to look for them.
Beautiful beach , loved the food as always atmosphere always great.
We met up with friends we had shared a hol to tryp 2 years ago, we even visited hotel guilermo where they stayed this year.found guilermo very nice but did not have the friendly feel we always get at tryp.
Never been to a hotel that goes as far as tryp staff do to show how much they appreciate their visitors. the place isnt just bricks and mortar it has a charm thats hard to find. Thanks to all staff and management, see you next september 3rd to 25th cant wait. Special message to mal n max hope you can make it too x
we would love to renew our marriage vows there next year:))

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank billynsharonstubbs
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2013

Dear billysharontubbs,

It is very nice to read your commenst and know that you loved your stay once again. Thank you for your time to write your opinion here. For renowal your vows next year get in contact with our wedding coordinator at Customer Services staff. Our staff will make your day very special for sure.
Hope to meet you here next Septembre,

Reviewed October 30, 2013

First of all to let you all know we love Cuba, we have been to Varadero, Havana, Trinidad, Holguin, Cayo Guillermo and Santiago de Cuba, we are not picky, we go to Cuba because we love their history, we love the island and its beach and love the people. My wife sister had just passed away and it was our 31st wedding anniversary and wanted some nice quiet time together so we booked the Tryp. We flew with Air Canada and excellent service and all flights on time. At the airport very professional and was drove to our resort, was there in about 25 minutes. The registration at the Tryp was good and only had to wait about two hours for our room. We got in our room, building 8 and yes the rooms definitely need TLC, Wow! I booked with no high expectation as long as the plumbing and air condition work, that is the main expectation we are looking for. So the room was really sad looking, we notice the toilet was not working and the air cond. was not supplying cool air, we went to service department and mention the situation of what was not working, they send someone and he said the room will get cooler later and for the toilet to not put paper in the toilet but he was insisting renting us a adapter for our room and we told him we had one but that seem to be his main concern for $$$ and he did not do anything. So we decided to try the room, in the evening it was so warm, the air cond was not working properly and it was just crazy. We went the next day and mention the situation and they decided to change us room (we did not ask to be change) they decided. They change us to block 4 and as I walked in I mention to the Concierge the room was warm and he said that the air cond was shut off and he said he will put it on and it will be cooler later, the evening came and the air cond was not working at all, no air and it was like 33 degree celcius in the room, we waited till morning and we did not complaint, we were out in the sun all day and when we got back to the room in the evening, it was warmer in our room than outside, decided to go at service and report the air cond, they send a different maintenance guy and when he walked into our room and seen how warm it was he apologize about the situation, the air cond needed a part and was not working and again he decided and told us we had to change room, he found us a room on the same floor and same building and help us move to this 3rd room and when he opened the door, finally after three days we had a room with nice cool air, the room was like others and we notice the sink in the bathroom was not draining but we didn't care at this time because we finally had a cool room. In the three rooms we were in we notice stained on all the bed sheets in all three rooms, two of the room we were in we did notice cockroach, the door going outside has a gap so I would suggest bringing some ducktape to put on bottom of door and again we know this is a tropical place and we can expect bugs. The second room also had lots of ants by the sink in the bathroom. So, we lost about a whole day of vacationing and sleepless nights in rooms with no air conditioning, we notice at the lobby lots of tourist complaining about their rooms, their was a group of 20 of Toronto and 10 of them mention to us they also had to change rooms because air conditioning was not working and this was a very hot week in Cuba with high temperature.

The ground of the resort is very beautiful and all three pools very nice and the beach is superb.

The Buffet had repetitive meals but food was ok, now the service is good and bad, some of the waiters would have their regulars and serve them like Royalty, we were never rude and we are tippers, I brought $300 for tipping for the week, I only fine its fair for good service, listen this is not the first time we travelled, we travelled with respect. One waiter even reserve some tables in the buffet for his regulars and their was no place for those poor people to sit and those table were reserve for some regulars, we sat there having our meal and seen those tables for sometime an hour with nobody sitting there, just crazy. We decided to try the A La Carte and Thank God for A La Carte, we tried 4 of them and the food was incredible, very good and finally we had some excellent service, food was also way better than the buffet.

The Animation group had poor relation with the guest, again they had their regulars, in the evening in the shows it was always the same persons playing the games and the evening show was just ok and the daily activity was low maintenance compared to other resorts we were in Cuba, you would meet some of the animation staff during the day and we would smile and say Hola to them and they would not even smile or say Hola. One of the evening they had a game that included beer in the game and two of the participant was underage teenagers and the parents had to tell them they were underage and instead of changing the beer for pop they kicked them off the stage, very sad and unprofessional. Also someone should educate the animation staff that Quebec is not a Country, it is Canada and not Quebec, their are insulting our Country by saying that, its like I would say Ciego de Avila is a country with Cuba.

We did two trips when we were there, one in the town of Moron, it was like half a day and was very interesting and really enjoyed it. Our second trip was a flight to Havana and spend the whole day, and came back in the evening, I highly recommend this trip.

With all of this myself and my lovely wife did spend a wonderful time despite some of the unfortunate situation but tried to do the best of it all, we have met some great Cubans and shared wonderful stories and met other Canadians and fine people from England (love them).

We will definitely be back to Cuba, but unfortunately not this resort, I will also put a complaint through Air Canada Vacations about this resort.

Again, trip advisor is there to help travellers and unfortunately you will see some negative reviews and I think some of the reasons we don't see many negative reviews is that people sometime had a bad experience and just don't want to share it, anybody reading my reviews or my post will hardly see any negative comments, I kind of debated to post this one and I think you need to really scan the reviews and check unto the history of the poster.

This is a honest and has fair as I could inform of our vacation to the Tryp, you do whatever you want with it, its up to you and this is why of this great site called Trip Advisor and if some wants to pm myself about question of the resort or other resorts or activities, please do so.

Room Tip: It's just a gamble, you will never know what kind of room with surprises you will get!
10  Thank Rexell
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Dear Rexell,

We sincerely offer you our apolgies for the inconviniences you had with the air conditioning in the rooms. Thank you for giving us your feed back which give us opportunities for improvements. We will take your comments into considertaion to continue working hard on our services.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

First of all, I have been to the Tryp many times (14) 3x this year alone, last time was Oct 18 to 25. I have also been to 4 other locations in Cuba, so it’s not the only place I have to compare with on this island.
Why do I keep coming back here? Simple answer is the people. I have made many great friends at this resort both those that work there and also fellow tourists.
Yes the Tryp is one of the older resorts on the island, but that doesn’t mean the newer ones are better. Sure the new ones may seem brighter, cleaner etc but the Tryp has personality plus.
I have learned to live with some the minor glitches that this 15+ yr old resort has. If you want brand new, try one of the newer resorts on the island, but don’t bash the Tryp for being old because it is old! Do your homework before you go...Not after.
The beach is great, the rooms are rooms, if you go hungry I have no sympathy for you.
Thanks for another great week, ill see you again in the spring. Hi to some old and new friends..Pete and the group, Annette and John and Stacey and Graham.
Cheers Kent
And again thank you to Gelly, Ricardo, Santiago and Lorenzo!!!

1  Thank kentab

Dear kentab,

Thank you for your time and for your loyalty. We consider your comments very helpful. Our best gretting from our staff for you too. Hope to meet you here next time.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

This was our second visit to the Tryp and thoroughly enjoyed once again the resort is undergoing refurbishment presently we requested a first floor room close to the pool and beach which was given to us. Large room with all facilities needed. Cuba is a gorgeous country with friendly people, be aware that the star rating is less than the tour provider quote but if you want to get away from everything to turquoise seas and white sands, swim with fish and drink and eat to your heart's content go to Cuba. If you are visiting and want any questions answered send me a message.

Room Tip: All ground floor rooms close to pool have been renovated
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank jadebabe50

Dear jadebabe50,

It is very nice to know that you have thoroughly enjoyed once again on your second visit, thank you for your time and hope to meet you here again next time.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

We had a good time cuz of the fact we were with family, the hotel needs some TLC ,,,LOVED THE DAYCARE STAFF, SHE KEPT THE LITTLE KIDS BUSY....older kids 13-16 were bored throughout the day...Night time shows some were good, others were ok, 1 night 2 of our kids got called on stage to play a game, he asked them to drink beer, didnt asked their age, we had to go up and tell staff but instead of replacing the beer w something else they kicked them off the stage, kids were disappointed.....Food in buffet same everyday and night, my favorite was breakfast omelettes, bring special converter if u need to use curling iron in room....Last day there was a storm our room got flooded, really bad /staff was awesome working hard to clean it up with what little supplies they have,,,overall will we go back to this hotel NO tried it and well go somewhere else next time... During week we were there only 1 pool open, and that wasnt even the 1 with the bar....At the airport when u r leaving make sure u count your money when u r paying the airport taxes, i paid for 5 people and just handled her the money she said u r missing 10 dollars, i know i had the right amt but gave it to her anyway, didnt want to cause a scene in cuba lol / Some staff works very hard others r rude... Beach is very nice after 1 when the water goes out, able to pull your chairs out in the ocean and kids played around me, in the morning water is all the way in on shore very crowded w the chairs, i have been to nicer beaches...Enjoy your trip and make the best of it thats what i always do....

Room Tip: ground floors get really flooded during storms/ air conditioner on top floors does not work well we...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank karen w

Dear karen w,

Thank you for your comments and for the opportunity of having your feedback. We will be discusing the incident with your kids with the entertaiment staff. May be there was a misunderstanding. Our apologies in anycase. Hope you can visit us again in the future.

Sinecre regards,

Reviewed October 24, 2013

SERIOUSLY, DO NOT GO HERE!!!! MORE LIKE A 2 STAR -if that!

I am not sure why I have read so many reviews of people returning to this resort. All I can figure is that they haven't ever travelled anywhere else and don't know any better. This was truly the worst resort I have ever stayed at and I have been to many places in the Caribbean (including Cuba twice before) and world. I am not going to write to long of a review as I feel I have wasted enough of my life, time and energy on this place... so here's some quick notes;

We stayed Oct 12th to Oct 19th and booked the Superior Ocean view Room "VIP"

The problems with our room were;
-Balcony door handle was broken on the outside (I got stuck out there until my boyfriend came back to the room and opened the door for me)
-ALL fabrics including bed sheets and pillowcases, blankets, robes, curtains, towels, lamp shade, shower curtain were very worn and dirty / stained.
-Shower Curtain rod was held up by a string and it fell and hit me in the head a couple of times
-Beds were horrible, mattresses were very hard and old, dirty / stained with springs sticking through. I could not sleep in them and ended up having the maid bring me extra fuzzy blankets which I put on the bed and under the sheets. We also requested a King size bed but were told the Superior Oceanview rooms didn’t have any. We slept in separate beds the entire trip, it was very depressing.
-Our toilet kept leaking, we told the hotel twice and they apparently came to fix it but the leak continued
-Our Key cards for the room wouldn’t work on a few occasions, very frustrating!
-Our bed broke
-We had many ants in our room
-All furniture, fixtures and amenities were very low quality.

The problems with the property;
- The entire property needs some serious TLC and it smells a lot!!!
-The property grounds were very run down, outdated and dirty with garbage everywhere including the beach.
-Many of the washrooms in the resort never had toilet paper which you can imagine was very troublesome when you are sick from the food which we were for the last 4 days of the trip.
-Food was cold and very greasy and ridiculous line ups at the “make it for you” grills which is understandable during busy season but not now! The BBQ / Grill is located immediately beside a chicken / duck mini farm and I was attacked by bugs and got many bites, we didn’t even finish our meal.
-Service was horrible in most areas, not once was I approached by a server (AND we are tippers!)

Luckily, the weather was great, pool and beach nice too. Everything else sucked, seriously!!!

Room Tip: DO NOT go here!
8  Thank Catlovestotravel

Dear Catlovestotravel,

We sincerely regret that you have got such a bad opinion about the Hotel. We thank you the oportunity you give us with your comments which become in oportunties to continue working on improvements. We offer you our apologies for the expectation not fulfil. Thank you again,

Reviewed October 22, 2013

This hotel had a bit of everything!

The rooms were clean - the food was good and plenty of alcohol flowing.

we made some amazing friends while we were there!

The beach was gorgeous

The only complaint I can think of is the pathways at night were quite dark!

Good value for the money we paid.

While there were children there, it had a party vibe going while we were there!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank bluebabe83

Dear bluebabe83,

Thank you for your comments. It is very nice to know that you had a great time. Sorrry for the inconviniences with the dark pathways at night. We have been checking it to solve it inmediately. We sincerely hope to meet you here again.