“1-2 at best!”

Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Paris, Canada
“1-2 at best!”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Never go back. The hotel, the grounds, and especially the food were horrible. When you are paying decent money to go somewhere you would expect one of these. We did a couple of excursions to probably get away from the hotel and food which were pretty good. We went snorkelling and boating. The water was beautiful, the only highlight. Also if you are need of medical attention while you are there, you will be in trouble. That is also a long story involving a scooter that I trashed. I heard the larger cities have more to offer, but there are too many other places that I will go before I head back to Cuba.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear dadsunited,

We sincerely regret have not been able to satisfy your expectation. Thank you for your comments, we sincerely respect them and will take them into consideration for our job.

Tryp Cayo Coco Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,337)
Toronto
Reviewed May 8, 2013

My boyfriend and I met at this resort in September 2010 and we are returning in 2 weeks to experience it all again! We both love this place, having stayed several times before and we don't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. This hotel has everything you could want; great beach, great food, great atmosphere and great people! We can't wait to be back again!
See you soon!
S & D

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MadameBinCuba
Dear MadameBinCuba,

It is very nice to know that you have enjoyed once again your stay. Thank you for your loyalty and recomendation. Hope to meet you again very soon.

Newmarket, Canada
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

My family of 6 stayed at Tryp for one week. Stayed in block 6 which was close to everything I can not express enough gratitude for making our stay fantastic! The cleanliness of our rooms was phenomenal and I can honestly say I never saw one bug in my room. Mosquitos were present at night by the show so bring some bug spray.
Our check in took less than 10 minutes and had people helping us get to our rooms within seconds. Our ala Carte reservations were prebooked and I can't thank them enough for this as well. Plenty of chairs by the pool and beach everyday even when it was busy. Food was ok. There was always something available to eat even if you are picky. None of us got sick and we ate a variety of everything which was a bonus.
I must say, this is one of the most beautiful beaches I have been to. The sand is so white and the water is clear for quite a distance. Visited Playa Pilar which was even more breath taking! I would definitely recommend this hotel and will not hesitate to go back!!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank PhyllisP24
Dear PhyllisP24,

It is excelent to know that you and your family had a fantastic holiday here. Thank you for your time and for recomending us. Hope to see you again here very soon.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Although it's contrary to my instincts, I'll accentuate the positive first: The employees working at the hotel couldn't have been kinder to us. The quality of the servers in both the main buffet and the specialty restaurants was high, even by Canadian or American standards. (Our servers in the main dining room held a special lunch for us on our last day!) By and large, bartenders were attentive, efficient, and made pretty decent drinks. The hotel-sponsored reef snorkeling expedition was very nice and much more affordable than the ones sponsored by the tour operators at the hotel. And while I wouldn't characterize the grounds as particularly lush, but they were well manicured.

The negatives: Our room was spacious but reeked of mildew (and until we realized we should keep the toilet lid down, it had a faint sewage smell). The bed was as hard as a rock and the pillows uncomfortable. It may be a problem with Cuban sanitation in general, but the resort smelled of sewage in three or four of the seven days we were there. Lastly, the quality of the food, especially in the buffet, was mediocre at best. There was a decent variety of food, but all too often it was either overcooked, mushy, or bland. The fruit was shockingly under-ripe. (Um, this is the tropics. Shouldn't I get better fruit in Cuba than in Toronto?) Instead of authentic Cuban cuisine, much of it was just highly processed food.

While I had a decent time overall at the hotel, I wouldn't choose it again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank davis_cm
Dear Davies_cm,

We sincerely thank you for your comments about rooms and food at the Buffet. will be taken advantage of them to continue working for improvements. Hope that you will be coming back someday and will have a different opinion.

CHARLOTTETOWN
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My sister and I had a wonderful week. The beach is amazing. The resort was very welcoming and staff were very helpful and friendly. There were many fresh items in the buffet to be cooked before your eyes. The entertainment was better some nights than others. THERE WERE NO BUGS!!!

Room Tip: Our room was near the beach and also close to everything.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Cynthia M,

Thank you for your time. It is nice to know that you had a great time here. Hope to see you again.

Toronto
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I did not stay ay TRYP, but I did spend a few hours on a trip from Sol Cayo Guillermo. We were very impressed with the layout and vibe of the resort. Great pools, including a nice quiet pool. Lovely grounds and facilities. Lovely river running through the resort and passing by a restaurant.
The beach bar was cool and friendly. The ranchon was a blast with some of the friendliest and funniest staff I have ever met.
The tiendas were nicely organized and the burger bar was great. Impressed enough to consider staying there next year.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Fidel47,

It is very nice to know that your first impression aboutr our Hotel was excelent and that you are thinking into come next holiday here. Thank you for your time to write your comments here and hope to meet you here next year.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

There was what I though at first a down side to this hotel but in the end it turned out FANTASTIC.

My wife & have have just returned from a two week stay to celebrate our 25th anniversary and it could not have been better.

All the staff are fantastic, a big thank you to our maid Maria who is out of this world. Don't believe all that some people have commented in other reviews, they do not expect tips but will take them and you should only give them if you think that person deserves it.

Check in for our whole coach took less than ten minutes and this was not restricted to just us. Our ground floor room was saved and we were given a map of where to go but the porters are only too happy too ferry you around in their golf buggies, cases and all.

First impressions are of how clean not only the hotel is but the whole of Cayo Coco. The rooms are spacious with two large double beds, in & outdoor table and chairs, dresser with large mirror, 32" flat screen tv with lots of channels for all. There is a fridge with fresh bottled water everyday if you want it, free, free safe deposit box lock & key, ironing board and iron as well as a hair dryer. there are two bed side tables and a large wardrobe. There is a small nook with a sink and mirror and a bathroom with bath/shower, WC & bidet (foot wash).

The grounds of the hotel are spread out so if you have trouble walking take a wheelchair if you have one. You can hire one on site but they will gladly relieve you of over £75 for 14 days which is what you could buy one from Asda for but don't expect a sleek modern designed chariot, Cuba is still operating in the dark ages which is more so true of the internet cafe which makes slow seem super sonic. 3 pesos for 30 minutes or 60 for 6 pesos but believe me having all your teeth pulled is a much more a pleasant option. Telling your rep, the hotel or the man behind the door will get you nowhere fast, just like the internet, there is no WI-FI.

The hotel lobby has two levels to it with no lifts, there are two sets of stairs, a long, long ramp or the road trip around. Now remember at the beginning when I said I thought there was a down side, well this is what I meant. Our room was in block 10 right near to the lovely beach but it is far from reception, all the restaurants, entertainment and activities apart from the quiet pool which is right outside, spent all holiday here and it is quiet apart from when parents with young children turn up. Anyway we asked for a move nearer as it was far for me to walk as I decided not to take my chair. We were offered another room which was as far away but over the other side of the complex and did not have a quiet pool so we turned this down and asked again but this time enquired about block 7 which has rooms closest to the main building. We were told that this block was fully booked so decided to stay where we were which turned out to be a good idea as with this being nearest to the entertainment the noise went on far in to the early hours.

The whole complex is well lit but some of the paths could do with a little tlc.

The pools are open 7am till 7pm and you can get a clean beach towel every day if you want from a little hut near the main pool, again this is free.

There is a 24 hour bar and grill with plenty of other snack bars, restaurants and drinks bars all around the site. The food is great, I am fussy but here there is something for everyone with ice-cream being very popular.

There is an on site doctor and small chemist as well as all the other listed amenities and activities, you can even hire a moped, car or horse and cart on site.

There are some small stalls and shops at the hotel but they do not sell much and the prices are the same as they are at the airport so no need to wait to see if you get a better bargain later when your flying home. the hotel also offers good exchange rates and can also give you plenty of change for tipping.

I would have loved to be fit enough to see the real Cuba but the break it's self was magic, I asked if I could get flowers for my wife for our anniversary and was given three price options. The flowers were then presented to my wife at an al a cart restaurant and I could have also had a free bottle of Champagne if wanted. The staff went that extra mile for us buy baking us a special anniversary cake which was delicious and a lovely gesture.

Just when we though things could not get any better every resident at the hotel was given a free 70cl bottle of rum as a thank you for staying there, something I have never experienced before even at hotels with a higher rating.

A truly fantastic hotel in a magical country with the most charming people in the world that I have travelled so far.

P,s Take jungle formula insect repellent for the evening when the mosquitoes are at their liveliest.

The sun burns even when it is overcast so take plenty of sun screen lotion.

Room Tip: Ask for blocks 10,11 or 12 if you like to retire early thus avoiding the entertainment noise
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank horne65
Dear Horne65,

It has been very nice to read your comments here. They are very useful. Hope to meet you here again sometime.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Coco
Memories Flamenco Beach Resort
Sol Cayo Coco
Sol Cayo Coco
#3 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to TRYP Cayo Coco? Share your experiences!