“Fantastic trip”
Review of TRYP Cayo Coco

TRYP Cayo Coco
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My family of 6 stayed at Tryp for one week. Stayed in block 6 which was close to everything I can not express enough gratitude for making our stay fantastic! The cleanliness of our rooms was phenomenal and I can honestly say I never saw one bug in my room. Mosquitos were present at night by the show so bring some bug spray.
Our check in took less than 10 minutes and had people helping us get to our rooms within seconds. Our ala Carte reservations were prebooked and I can't thank them enough for this as well. Plenty of chairs by the pool and beach everyday even when it was busy. Food was ok. There was always something available to eat even if you are picky. None of us got sick and we ate a variety of everything which was a bonus.
I must say, this is one of the most beautiful beaches I have been to. The sand is so white and the water is clear for quite a distance. Visited Playa Pilar which was even more breath taking! I would definitely recommend this hotel and will not hesitate to go back!!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank PhyllisP24
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear PhyllisP24,

It is excelent to know that you and your family had a fantastic holiday here. Thank you for your time and for recomending us. Hope to see you again here very soon.

Tryp Cayo Coco Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (6,000)

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Although it's contrary to my instincts, I'll accentuate the positive first: The employees working at the hotel couldn't have been kinder to us. The quality of the servers in both the main buffet and the specialty restaurants was high, even by Canadian or American standards. (Our servers in the main dining room held a special lunch for us on our last day!) By and large, bartenders were attentive, efficient, and made pretty decent drinks. The hotel-sponsored reef snorkeling expedition was very nice and much more affordable than the ones sponsored by the tour operators at the hotel. And while I wouldn't characterize the grounds as particularly lush, but they were well manicured.

The negatives: Our room was spacious but reeked of mildew (and until we realized we should keep the toilet lid down, it had a faint sewage smell). The bed was as hard as a rock and the pillows uncomfortable. It may be a problem with Cuban sanitation in general, but the resort smelled of sewage in three or four of the seven days we were there. Lastly, the quality of the food, especially in the buffet, was mediocre at best. There was a decent variety of food, but all too often it was either overcooked, mushy, or bland. The fruit was shockingly under-ripe. (Um, this is the tropics. Shouldn't I get better fruit in Cuba than in Toronto?) Instead of authentic Cuban cuisine, much of it was just highly processed food.

While I had a decent time overall at the hotel, I wouldn't choose it again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank davis_cm

Dear Davies_cm,

We sincerely thank you for your comments about rooms and food at the Buffet. will be taken advantage of them to continue working for improvements. Hope that you will be coming back someday and will have a different opinion.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

My sister and I had a wonderful week. The beach is amazing. The resort was very welcoming and staff were very helpful and friendly. There were many fresh items in the buffet to be cooked before your eyes. The entertainment was better some nights than others. THERE WERE NO BUGS!!!

Room Tip: Our room was near the beach and also close to everything.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear Cynthia M,

Thank you for your time. It is nice to know that you had a great time here. Hope to see you again.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

I did not stay ay TRYP, but I did spend a few hours on a trip from Sol Cayo Guillermo. We were very impressed with the layout and vibe of the resort. Great pools, including a nice quiet pool. Lovely grounds and facilities. Lovely river running through the resort and passing by a restaurant.
The beach bar was cool and friendly. The ranchon was a blast with some of the friendliest and funniest staff I have ever met.
The tiendas were nicely organized and the burger bar was great. Impressed enough to consider staying there next year.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Dear Fidel47,

It is very nice to know that your first impression aboutr our Hotel was excelent and that you are thinking into come next holiday here. Thank you for your time to write your comments here and hope to meet you here next year.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

There was what I though at first a down side to this hotel but in the end it turned out FANTASTIC.

My wife & have have just returned from a two week stay to celebrate our 25th anniversary and it could not have been better.

All the staff are fantastic, a big thank you to our maid Maria who is out of this world. Don't believe all that some people have commented in other reviews, they do not expect tips but will take them and you should only give them if you think that person deserves it.

Check in for our whole coach took less than ten minutes and this was not restricted to just us. Our ground floor room was saved and we were given a map of where to go but the porters are only too happy too ferry you around in their golf buggies, cases and all.

First impressions are of how clean not only the hotel is but the whole of Cayo Coco. The rooms are spacious with two large double beds, in & outdoor table and chairs, dresser with large mirror, 32" flat screen tv with lots of channels for all. There is a fridge with fresh bottled water everyday if you want it, free, free safe deposit box lock & key, ironing board and iron as well as a hair dryer. there are two bed side tables and a large wardrobe. There is a small nook with a sink and mirror and a bathroom with bath/shower, WC & bidet (foot wash).

The grounds of the hotel are spread out so if you have trouble walking take a wheelchair if you have one. You can hire one on site but they will gladly relieve you of over £75 for 14 days which is what you could buy one from Asda for but don't expect a sleek modern designed chariot, Cuba is still operating in the dark ages which is more so true of the internet cafe which makes slow seem super sonic. 3 pesos for 30 minutes or 60 for 6 pesos but believe me having all your teeth pulled is a much more a pleasant option. Telling your rep, the hotel or the man behind the door will get you nowhere fast, just like the internet, there is no WI-FI.

The hotel lobby has two levels to it with no lifts, there are two sets of stairs, a long, long ramp or the road trip around. Now remember at the beginning when I said I thought there was a down side, well this is what I meant. Our room was in block 10 right near to the lovely beach but it is far from reception, all the restaurants, entertainment and activities apart from the quiet pool which is right outside, spent all holiday here and it is quiet apart from when parents with young children turn up. Anyway we asked for a move nearer as it was far for me to walk as I decided not to take my chair. We were offered another room which was as far away but over the other side of the complex and did not have a quiet pool so we turned this down and asked again but this time enquired about block 7 which has rooms closest to the main building. We were told that this block was fully booked so decided to stay where we were which turned out to be a good idea as with this being nearest to the entertainment the noise went on far in to the early hours.

The whole complex is well lit but some of the paths could do with a little tlc.

The pools are open 7am till 7pm and you can get a clean beach towel every day if you want from a little hut near the main pool, again this is free.

There is a 24 hour bar and grill with plenty of other snack bars, restaurants and drinks bars all around the site. The food is great, I am fussy but here there is something for everyone with ice-cream being very popular.

There is an on site doctor and small chemist as well as all the other listed amenities and activities, you can even hire a moped, car or horse and cart on site.

There are some small stalls and shops at the hotel but they do not sell much and the prices are the same as they are at the airport so no need to wait to see if you get a better bargain later when your flying home. the hotel also offers good exchange rates and can also give you plenty of change for tipping.

I would have loved to be fit enough to see the real Cuba but the break it's self was magic, I asked if I could get flowers for my wife for our anniversary and was given three price options. The flowers were then presented to my wife at an al a cart restaurant and I could have also had a free bottle of Champagne if wanted. The staff went that extra mile for us buy baking us a special anniversary cake which was delicious and a lovely gesture.

Just when we though things could not get any better every resident at the hotel was given a free 70cl bottle of rum as a thank you for staying there, something I have never experienced before even at hotels with a higher rating.

A truly fantastic hotel in a magical country with the most charming people in the world that I have travelled so far.

P,s Take jungle formula insect repellent for the evening when the mosquitoes are at their liveliest.

The sun burns even when it is overcast so take plenty of sun screen lotion.

Room Tip: Ask for blocks 10,11 or 12 if you like to retire early thus avoiding the entertainment noise
2  Thank horne65

Dear Horne65,

It has been very nice to read your comments here. They are very useful. Hope to meet you here again sometime.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

My family and 4 other families stayed at this hotel from April 27 - May 4. Here is the breakdown of our impression of this hotel:

1. Hotel

The outside looks nice. I guess if you only saw photos, then you would book this hotel for sure. But room's condition is almost not acceptable: the show does not work (only hot water can come out) and the toilet does not flush (we had to add a bucket of water for it to flush).
But the room has been cleaned properly on a daily basis.

2. Beach

The beach is nice: white sandy beach and calm water with a lot of beach chairs.

3. Food

Almost unacceptable. A lot of flies in the main dinning hall with limit variety and it's almost the same thing everyday. A la cart restaurant is not much better. First, it's hard to book but when we went there we found that 1/3 of tables are empty and some people who did not have the reservation got in just the same. Second, the food is just as bad. The shrimp cocktail had only 1 shrimp.

4. Excursion

We took ocean splash because it's supposed to be kids friendly for 89CUC ($94 CAD) per person. It seems that most of the trip was a bus ride. In the end, we feel that the price is a bit too high.

In conclusion,

Main disappointments are rooms and food. However, if you do not care about these two, then this hotel is for you. But for us, we and our friends will not return to this hotel. When we took the excursion, the bus stopped by two other hotels which seems a lot nicer than this one judging by the lobby. So, our recommendation is that do not by book this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Hanze L

Dear Hanze L,

Thank you for your comments here. We sincerely regret have not been able to fulfil your expectations. We sincerely respect your opinion and will be taking advantage of your comments for working on improvements.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

My first time to Cayo Coco and wow...it really is gorgeous...been to Santa Maria before and enjoyed it. Travelled with my boyfriend April 20th to 27th. First off...the resort is very large and busy esp. at the main lounge area and main pool which make them somewhat noisy (with the music). However, the hotel accomodates everyone with no real issues and there are also quiet areas.

Room: We stayed in Block 10 second floor just as requested and loved it! Gorgeous view of the quiet pool with a little bit of an ocean view. Room as everyone notes is in need up updates and some repairs,.but was clean, no bugs, large, air conditioning worked too well at times (haha) and hot water was plenty so no issues other than people beside us smoked and you could smell it at all times unfortunately coming thru the adjoining doors. Beds are quite hard but we got used to them after a night or two.

Beach: The most beautiful I've seen with miles of clean white sand and crystal clear blue warm waters that are stunning and perfect for walking, It is wavy and has a fair breeze most days but it truly is perfection. We spent a few hours of every day here as you don't get this at home and is a big part of what we came for. Found doing the beach first, then a refreshing swim and relaxing at the quiet pool later in the day worked well for us.

Food: Really pleasantly surprised as much better than I expected. Lots of variety, a la cartes were awesome (Asian, Italian and International). Buffet was very good esp the Omelete stations and pasta stations (thanks Fis) cooked fresh with a short wait. Staff work hard. First time anywhere in the Carribean that I haven't gotten sick so I was very pleased! The few tropical drinks I had were amazing and I thought the beer was great! Crystal or Buckanero...both really good. Rum was good too of course...it's Cuba!

Excursions: We did the Moron Plus tour and loved all of it! Crocodile farm visit, horse and buggy ride into Moron, Pub with live cuban band playing, visit to souvenier market, and boat ride thru the Mangroves and then lunch in a quaint area off the docks....wow...what a great day and the tour operator was adorable...she was very informative. Well worth the $55 for all of that! Also visited Sol Cayo coco and took scooter ride up to Sol Cayo Guillermo....we really liked both resorts and thought the service was actually better there because they are much smaller resorts. Nice change from the busy environment of the Tryp. We thought food, pools and beach were good at both...rooms are at the same level, nicer bathrooms at Sol. But the beautiful grounds and extensive beach at Tryp surpass the other two resorts I think.

Entertainment: This is the one area that I think was a little lacking for the hotel. A few nights it was quite loud and we couldn't understand a word the speaker was saying? We wanted to see cuban dancers and when they did...we enjoyed that. It seemed to be more geared to the kids for the earlier part of the show which was cute for them.

Resort has a liqour and cigar shop with great prices so no need to go anywhere else for those. Fantastic souveniers at the Moron market or the new Souvenier shop a 5 min bike ride from the resort! Cayo Coco airport also had lots of nice items at their shops.

Weather was also the best I've experienced...only 2, 15 min. periods of rain and the rest of the week was sunny and 30 degrees!! How perfect. Last day had a bit of overcast for a few hours but still hot and then the sun broke out again. April really is an awesome time to go. No bugs either! It is cooler at night so thx to the woman who said to bring a pashmena...was perfect!

My boyfriend and I truly enjoyed ourselves. I was nervous after reading the negative reviews but having been now...I think you really make your own holiday what it is. We took in the amazing palm trees, stunning beach, beautiful sun and hot temps, and thoroughly enjoyed Tryp Cayo Coco and the amazing surroundings we were in...Cubans are really lovely people, hard working and I've never felt safer being away from home. Don't forget to bring items (clothing, toiletries, childrens crafts etc) from home to give to the staff or your tour guide to give to the people in their town, if you can...they really appreciate it and deserve all we can pass along as they do not live like we do. Go...relax, enjoy and take in all that beauty.....OLA :)

Room Tip: Block 10 and 11 are quiet and overlook quiet pool which is a beautiful view. Second or third floors...
1  Thank firefly63

Dear firfly63,

We are very glad knowing that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay in the Hotel and Cayo Coco area. Thank you for your time. Hope that you will come again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Coco
#1 of 12 in Cayo Coco
IBEROSTAR Mojito
IBEROSTAR Mojito
#8 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to TRYP Cayo Coco? Share your experiences!