“4th trip to Cuba 1st to Tryp”
Review of TRYP Cayo Coco

TRYP Cayo Coco
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Reviewed April 10, 2013

beach- great, but Holguin has coral reef 50 m from shore. here you have to snorkel out about 500 m plus to get to reef- you will see 1 meter reef sharks hiding under coral heads- you better be an excellent swimmer. only saw fish twice in 14 days by the shore. had a 2 meter bull shark visit the shallows, scared the crap out of everyone, the shark was about 100m away from us while we were in the water- yikes! a big resort 508 rooms, they book the big s-trips for high school students, 300 at a pop-so spring break can be filled with drunk youngsters. food the lowest quality of our cuba hotels so far, but still acceptable-fuel is fuel, if the food is 5 star you just eat too much. bacon always gone- they put out small quantities , but can always get some eggs cooked up or a stir fry at lunch and dinner. did the al a cartes.. ok/acceptable- but would not be something you would pay for back home. 5 star mexico is 5 star, 4 star cuba is 2.5star mexico. a big mistake is having a cuban executive chef and cuban manager. melia truly needs to bring in some europeans to straighten things out- the europeans in mexico do a stellar job. as i tell my friends first you relax then you go to cuba. broken toilets, leaky taps, mold on the walls, and painted over mold, chipped and cracked paint, leaky air conditioners, broken doors and door locks, cockroaches (3 in the room killed), rooms cleaned haphazardly are just part of pretty much all cuba hotels in this price range. what was disturbing was watching the 5 or so staff at the 24 hr bar by the stage pour drinks for themselves-bunch of drunks and go to the back room to drink or watch cuban baseball for 30 min instead of serving the 15-20 people waiting for food and drink-only one ! 1 !gentleman serving... they should re-staff all those males with female servers and cooks! the women work super hard! i doled out about $400 in tips thru the resort over two weeks, the folks need it so shut up and tip til it hurts for good service. west jet will allow you a free humanitarian suitcase you can take for free and leave in cuba. i gave away 50 lbs of clothes and shoes. cubans have told me the maids are the rich of cuba, ordinary folk try to buy tylenol/clothes etc. off them.
give away all your goods and clothes while you are there. you will feel super good when you get back home. i always regret not giving more. take food for the stray mother dog and her nine puppies at lenny's lobster shack, and take him a licence plate to put up on the beams! take hooks and 30 lb fishing line and fishing rods and reels for anyone.. 400 islands, water and fish everywhere and nothing to fish with. some say the hotel is for sale, i can see melia dumping this property, 16 yrs old, and the salt air does do its wear and tear. it was disturbing seeing a freakish Canadian gentleman dressed as a rabbit trying to touchie feelie at the women who would come up to the stage during the animation shows... the women would cringe and pull away... also he was drunk from 9am onward all day long. the general manager should not have let that freak have his little tirades... he would jump in front of people at the bar quoting "ladies first!" and tried chatting/picking up my 15 yr old daughter. totally unacceptable.. but that's what you get with cuban management vs bringing in some folks from the parent company in Spain. i rented a taxi and went out to the 1859 lighthouse on cayo pardone just past cayo romano- the lighthouse keeper who treated us like family gave us a grand tour of his home and the lighthouse. take gifts for him, his wife and daughter who happens to work at the airport. nice views from the top, a great photo op. he has the jaws of a 6 meter shark on his living room wall. he also has a dog with 8 puppies, take some snacks for that dog too!!
i would go back to the tryp for my 2.5 star holiday for the nice beach and the opportunity to explore the cayos away from the resort- fishing/meeting and helping folks, for pampering i would go to 5 star on the mayan riveria. life is about what you give not what you get. went with spouse and 4 teenagers- great place for teenagers to meet other teenagers, socialize, and party to 1-2-3-4-5 am!!! kids liked the flamingos, peacocks, baby ducks, baby chicks, and cats!!- feed the birds bread and the cats ham chicken and other meats from the buffet!! employee of the month "Fiz" for feb 2012 and 2013 will cook your eggs!!! Jordi and William in the buffet will take special care of you, look for them! have fun!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank billybobthorton007
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Dear billipobthorton007,

Thank you for your comments, we will take advantage of them for improvements. Hope to see you again here someday.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Just got back from Tryp Cayo Coco. Had a wonderful time and made the best of what was offered. Food was very good and plentiful. Best to get to the buffet early and in line for the hot meals. The a La Carts were good especially the Cuban flare. Had the Superior Ocean view room facing the sea, Block 5 top floor. Maids tending to our room and waiters at the restaurants/ buffet worked the hardest got the best tips. Room was dated but quiet nice and had a new flat screen put in. Discovered with the VIP package thru SunWing we were able to keep our room until 5:00pm before departing to the airport for our late flight out back home. Staff were friendly and helpful when asked for extras. Beach was fantastic with the only draw back having the strong wind come off the ocean at times. Resort was clean, simple with great nightly entertainment for the families. Be mindful that a lot of people that come here smoke and hang out at the lobby bar and at the beach restaurant which is permitted. Really the only turn off about this place. Other than that, it is a nice place to come too.

Room Tip: If you have young children. Get the Superior ocean view room. Away from the centre of entertainment...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Vedmednyk
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Dear Vedmednyk,

It is nice to know thatt you had a wonfderful time at our resort. Thank you for writing your comments here. Hope that you will comeback some day again.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Our family trip went very well - My parents were there the week before us - so our room was already picked out and ready for us. My fiance and 6 yr old daughter and I found the room to be great - we were in block 11 - my parents room in block 11 had no water pressure but other than that it was fine for sleeping and showering.
The Mini disco for kids was great - my 6 yr old loved it - got them dancing on stage and meeting the other children. The adult shows were great and my daughter also loved them.
The staff was great - we brought gifts and gave it to everyone not only the maid since she gets so much, we heard they sell it to others to get money. We gave to the gardeners and dish helpers to servers, hairdresser and bartenders.
We stayed at the beach and quiet pool and only got to enjoy the international and seafood ala cartes. The seafood one was empty yet people were saying they couldn't get in anywhere when they went to book? Maybe a little more organization there... we missed the oriental reservation...
We went to the sister resort - Sol - if it's windy this is the beach to go too. It was kinda hidden to the left of the resort - lots of little seashells and hermet crabs for the kids. Smaller resort but nice. You can walk there or it only costed us 3 cuban dollars for a big van that fit 9 of us. So this was worth it.
Also booked at the spa down the road. It was $56 each and got a 3 hour get away - mud body mask and full body message. It was nice there also. The pool jets weren't working though and our bus was late due to malfunctions so we were a little rushed. BUT worth the wait.
The food is good - had lots of choices - I still stayed safe and ate alot of ham and cheese and cheese and ham - the morning smoothies are a must. They could use another toaster, especially since there are over 1000 people it tends to be slow going... French toast and pancakes were great - don't forget to eat their honey - it's fantastic. Salads and lots of meat choices as well.
Snorkelling - we only did right there on the beach - infront of the pizza boat there is a nice area with rocks and we found some nice fish and was fine for the first timer.
There is a market down the road about a 10 minute walk - turn left out of resort and at the first circle in the road turn right and it's right there. Lots of gifts there. There was also a little gift shop on the beach to the right past the place where you get your pattle boats. If the sigh is out on the beach it's open.
My daughter enjoyed feeding the kitties, ducks, chicks and flamingos. Also enjoyed the goat ride everynight. There is cotton candy, popcorn and chirros everynight by the entertainment as well.
After the rain Friday there were crabs all over in the holes on the sides of the walkway which was nice to see. If you bring kids bring bandanas for their head. Hats just didn't stay on. Lots of sunscreen.
Internet was slow so we only used it once for 1/2 hour and got about 3 emails out and I am a fast typer...but we werent there for the computer.
Watch your towels - $20 to replace - best to bring your own if you want to hold chairs or use a shirt.
Coconut drinks on the beach every morning - a guy comes around yelling coco - and it's $3 for a drink with rum or not but you can eat it also. I got 2 in.
If you want to know anything else let me know.
I would definitely go there again

Room Tip: Quiet pool area or to the right of the resort - the left side is so far from everything.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Amy B

Dear Amy B,

We consider your comments very useful. Thank you for your time. It is very nice to know that you would come back. Hope you will and see you soon.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I am writing this review somewhat late as I stayed there last April (2012) but I thought it deserved feedback. I enjoyed my time at Tryp, I went with a girlfriend of mine (both of us in our 20s). We both were very impressed with the grounds and food. The rooms weren't in the best condition but we weren't in there much except to sleep. Everything on this resort was very conveniently located and easy to get to. The beach was absolutely beautiful, crystal clear water on the calmer days. The grounds were also well maintained and beautiful.

The staff were friendly. We loved the resorts dances, thats where I learned to do Michel Telo Ai Se Te Pego- I still love it! Sadly we did not get to see much of the entertainment as it was pretty packed every night or our dinners conflicted with the shows. The shows we did catch were decent. The club/ disco's location is literally seconds away from the 24 hr bar, main buffet and entertainment. I'm not quite sure if that was a good thing though...I mean it was very accessible, however I did see kids in there on more than one occasion and it took a while for it to pick up. We did have fun there most nights though. Usually the entertainment staff helped the party get started with the resort's main dances.

We spent 2 days at the resort next door-Sol Cayo Coco (like a 15-20 minute walk away-going right, down the beach), which made us quite happy because we were torn between this resort and Tryp. You just get a wrist band from the front desk and tell them you want to go check out the other resorts and it allows you to eat at their buffet for breakfast or lunch and drink their drinks. So basically we got to have our cake and eat it too. We went to Sol, chilled by the pool, played their games, enjoyed some food and drinks. I have to say Sol is much smaller and quieter but it is beautiful and the staff, food and drinks were amazing. I'm very happy we were able to experience that side. Along the beach on the way to Sol there is a gift shop/ hut... the guy there is a bit too affectionate but he gave us a great deal on souvenirs and he even carved names in them for super cheap! Great place to shop... better than the resorts.

We did 2 excursions, one was a combo I think... the one with the boat ride to a small island with lunch and a guy singing to his guitar... very beautiful , drinks served in the water and visiting dolphins, I think it was around $120. It was pretty cool except not the water was too deep to comfortably enjoy the drinks without possibly getting a mouthful of ocean water. The staff on the boat were incredibly nice and fun though! We snorkeled in a sort of ocean current which was a bit difficult because it had a crazy current but there was a rope to hold onto. It was pretty cool.

The other excursion we did is take the bus to a club called Then Cave (I think) but it was sooooooooooo fun and incredibly live!!! I would do it again in a heartbeat! Amazing music and vibe! I loved it! We also did horse back riding at the front of the resort.

All in all I had a great time and would definitely return here as well as recommend this resort to others! :) Happy travels!

Room Tip: Our room was on the 3rd floor... no elevators so if you have any mobility problems
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank amandaD_07

Dear amandaD_07,

It is excelente to know you had a great time, never mind it was last year. Your comments ahve been very helpful. Thank you for your recommendations and hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We were at Tryp from March 29 to April 5...we had a wonderful time again this year...check in was fast and we were given the building I asked for, building 7 room 708....the toilet didn't work but I fixed it by taking the top off and pushed the lever inside just as the maintenance guy knocked on our door....everything else worked perfect actually the AC was the best I had in 4 years...the towels and linen were clean and white and the bed was very comfortable ...we were very close to the main pool and the night shows and the noise never bothered us at all....

Some of the staff have been moved to other areas but we found all our friends.....

We ate at the buffet for breakfast.....Fiz did a great job at the egg station.....I only had one smoothie because by the time I got to my table it had curdled....yuk..!.....no bacon...only some kind of sliced sausage....wieners....meat balls.....they did have a station for French toast and pancakes....I wasn't impressed with the breakfast variety....

We ate everyday at the beach grill.....great food and selections and one day they had Cuba Day and we had free BQ Lobster.....so good...!!!...that was also at the beach grill....wonderful staff...!!

In the evening we ate at the International.....Italian....and Chinese....all were very good....and I will say I wish I had more evenings at the Chinese because it was very....very good......

I was at both the Quiet pool and the large pool...they were both very clean and well looked after...

We had very good service at all the bars....everyone was always smiling and polite whether we tipped or not....

Front desk staff was always helpful and always polite.....and Ricardo and Jorge in Customer care thank you for looking after us when ever we needed help.....

There is a new Manager at Tryp.....I wasn't too sure of him at first but at the end of our stay I think that he is doing a good job....as for taking food out of the buffet...they do not want you to take food out on their dishes.....we had no problem when we got a paper plate from the 24 hour bar...I can see that because other years there were dishes everywhere around the resort....plus the staff before and after their shift have to count the silverware and if any is missing they have to pay for it....that was told to me by a lady in the buffet....

The last night we were there they had Fright Night at the Buffet...it was amazing....!!....Beautiful décor and great food...!!

I want to thank all the staff at Tryp for a wonderful time and a great vacation.....hope to see everyone again real soon....!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank hopeNovaScotia

Dear hopeNovaScotia,

We are glad to know that you had another great vacation at our Hotel. Thank you for your time and loyalty. Hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We were there the first week of april, nice weather, nice beach, room are ok nothing fancy but clean, no problem with hot water or air conditionning. we were on B10 near a small pool real nice and more quiet than the big one. Food was the biggest surprise for cuba it was excellent, for the reservation restaurant: italien and international were perfect.
All the people working on the site were professional and very friendly.
I'll go back tomorrow with my kids with no hesitation.

The hotel is not new(18 years) but it's clean, food is good, and people are nice.

the only thing negative is that the bed was too hard(new mattless)

Room Tip: A tip doesn't hurt but make a difference. Choose a room on the right side of the big pool, it...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Brigitte1327

Dear Brigitte1327,

Thank you very much for your comments. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay here and that you would be back without hesitation. Hope to see you again.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We returned back from our two week holiday at the tryp on Friday 5th April. We had a fantastic time. The location is amazing, right on the beautiful beach. The atmosphere is lovely at the hotel with all the staff being really friendly and welcoming. We thought it was really nice that the general manager along with a selection of the staff came to the welcome meeting to greet us all. This was a nice touch that we have never had before. The food in the restaurant is really nice. There is a wide range of options to suit all tastes. We were surprised by the number of cooking stations that there was offering pasta, meat, fish, pizza, stir fries etc. all offering food cooked the way you wanted it. The drinks in the bars were always really good too and always served with a smile.
The hotel is a good place to explore from, there is a local open top bus offering trips to the other cayo island and Pilar beach which is great to take in the local scenery and wildlife and the rep offers a good range of trips too. There is lots of good wildlife around the hotel, particularly birds e.g. herons, humming birds and woodpeckers. Pelicans can also be seen from the beach.
Everything about the holiday was brilliant. I would recommend it to anyone whether you are seeking a relaxing break (there is a separate quiet pool area) or one with more action and entertainment. The evening entertainment was also very well thought out and a lot of effort was included. All in all it was a fantastic all round holiday!

Room Tip: All the rooms looked good as they were all in low apartment blocks. All seemed to have a good view e...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Catdrew25

Dear Catdrew,

Thank you for writing your coments on this web site. It is very nice to know that everything about your holiday was brilliant. We hope that you will visit us again and thank you for recommending us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Coco
#2 of 12 in Cayo Coco
IBEROSTAR Mojito
IBEROSTAR Mojito
#8 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to TRYP Cayo Coco? Share your experiences!