“Tryp versus Sol”

Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Bishops Stortford
“Tryp versus Sol”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We actually were staying at the Sol Cayo Cocoa which was a 20 minute walk along the beach. However we could use the facilities at the Tryp between 9am and 5pm if we picked up a wristband from reception. After spending the first day at the Sol and being frustrated because some of the activities advertised didn't happen, the following day we discovered the Tryp and it had a great range of activities with lots of people participating. This is where we spent most days for the rest of our holiday.The animation team made us feel so welcome and they were so enthusiastic. My wife did Zumba at 10am every day and soon she spread the word and was joined by a group of ladies from the Sol.
Cecilia was an excellent Zumba instructor and I even joined in some days. Volleyball was much better at the Tryp as the court at the Sol although was set in a better location was rocky and needed more sand. The ball was punctured at the Sol.
Water gym also taken by cecilia was a good workout and as my wife is a watergym instructor in England she was impressed by the classes that Cecilia took. The dance classes were really good as you learned to dance merenge and salsa with a partner.
Waterpolo also was great fun and always happened unlike at the Sol.
We enjoyed the Latin music being played round the pool but there was a quiet pool for those people who didn't want to hear it.
The pizzas in the pizzeria beach bar were the best we had ever tasted.We also ate in the larger beach bar and the buffet and the food and service was excellent
The swimming pools were large but a bit on the cold side as this was winter. The sea was warmer and we snorkelled on the days that the red flag wasn't flying.
The grounds were lovely with flamingos in a pond. Hens and chicks roamed around.
We hired pushbikes from the Tryp. Free for the first hour then 1 peso an hour. The roads were empty of traffic and we cycled to Playa Prohibido where there is a lovely bar with great views. On the advice of the owner we carried on past the bat cave disco and turned right along a dirt track where a mile or so further on we found glorious unspoilt beaches completely empty.
We went on the glass bottom boat one day and this was a great experience.
On Thursday we took the open top bus to pillar beach which was lovely but it took 1 hour 40 minutes to get there. We caught the 1.35pm bus back to the Sol Gulliermo where we spent an enjoyable afternoon joining in with their Cuban Day.
All in all it was great having the use of all 3 hotels. The Sol Gulliermo was smaller but the beach there is beautiful, you could walk out along way in the sea and still only be up to your waist .The Tryp was larger than the Sol so maybe that is why more people were willing to join in the activities.
The Sol had a lovely pool bar but the Tryp had a swim up bar. I can't comment on the bedrooms as we didn't sleep there but they looked good from the outside. The Sol had 2 beaches and it was easier to get a bed there than at the Tryp. It was very sheltered on one of the beaches by the Sol, so the Sol was in a better location.
We had a great holiday and would be happy to go back to any of these hotels.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank SueBishopsStortford
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear SueBishopsStortf,

Thank you for your comments. They are very helpful for us and the people that read this web site. We hope that you can visit us on the next future.

Tryp Cayo Coco HOtel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,333)
Ontario
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I will have agree with most of the people who have stayed at Tryp is not the Ritz but its about the value and hopefully you have not paid large.
People are the very best,and most can speak english or at least understand it.
Beach is one of the best I have ever been on and I have been to some of world best (orient Beach St Martin)
Pool area is great always something going on.
Rooms will do! not great but we sleep in them and we are on move all the time so as long as the sheets are clean and the room is cold at night I am happy.
The food I am not a big fan BUT that is CUBA not this hotel we did have lobster 3 times during week once on beach whick was great band dancing games all afternoon and 2 in the buffet. We ate at the international and oreint both were verey good.
Overall we paid for what we got so no complaints I have stayed in some very high end places but I also played twice as much ??

1 Thank Otoole99
Dear Otoole99,

Thank you for your comments on this site. We can see that overall you are satisfied with your stay here. Hope that you can visit us again in the future.

Hotel Tryp Cayo Coco
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed March 2, 2013

First off, I will have to admit, I am a little biased towards Trypp. Let me explain. I have been here 8 times. I will continue to visit this resort because of the experiences and the Cuban people that I have met there and continue to keep in touch with. The staff is incredible. I cannot stress that enough. This is a resort that has many people returning over and over because of this. When I read some of these negative reviews, I wonder what they are looking for or expect. I find it amusing when people of time to take pictures of broken tiles in their washroom when perhaps they should be outside enjoying the pool and beach. I also want to add, in all my times there I have never had a cockroach in my room. Although I did find a cute little salamander sharing it with me, but guess what, you are in tropics and if your house was here you may find a few of these cute harmless little critters about. Travel with an open mind and remember where you are. Now for you people looking for fun and and incredible people; this is your place. I was there in Feb 2013, and I will be back in two weeks. This is the place you want to be. Enjoy!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
11 Thank Cary G
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Cary G,

Thank you for your loyalty and suport. It have been very nice to see your comments. Hope to see you again next visit.

Our best regards,

Tryp Cayo Coco Hotel.
Winsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at tryp for 2 weeks from 1st feb to 15th feb And cannot complain about this resort. I would like to start with the fact that during our entire two week Stay we did not see one cockroach!!!!!!!! Please ignore all negative reviews about this hotel, yes the rooms are dated but you are visiting a communist country what do you
Expect? I would definatly return to this hotel again

• Stayed February 2013
5 Thank tiffany1984
Dear Tiffany1984,

Thank you for your comments here. Hope to see you again next time.

Burlington, Ontario
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Overall we had a good trip to Tryp. We just returned and stayed from February 22 - March 1, 2013. A brief overview of the great, the good, and not so good.

The Great:

1. The beach - this resort has a wonderful beach and there are lots of chairs both in the sun and in the shade shelters. The water is crystal clear and is very picturesque. The water most of the way to the buoys is between shin height and mid-chest height (and I'm 5'5").

2. The variety of activities - there was always the option to keep busy with activities or to have peace and quiet. There was lots activities to participate in such as: Zumba, Tennis, Archery, Water Aerobics, Waterpolo, Crazy Games at the Pool, Volleyball in the pool, Beach Volleyball, dance lessons, a beach party with music, watersports such as kayak rentals, paddle boats, snorkeling equipment, hobby cats, etc.

3. The lobby musicians in the evening - on Monday and Wednesday there was a wonderful singer in the lobby that had a wonderful voice and many people stopped to enjoy his voice.

4. The BBQ a la carte restaurant - we ate at the Cuban, International, Italian, Japanese, and BBQ. Hands down the BBQ a la carte had the best food. We had BBQ meat and grilled veggies, and they were good to perfection. The atmosphere and staff we wonderful at the restaurant. We also enjoyed the International restaurant as a second best.

The Good:

1. Staff - for the most part, the staff were good to us and were friendly. We encountered a couple that were excellent, some good, and some not so good. Some really expected tips for service each and every time.

2. The Pool - the main pool area was nice and clean. There were spots in the shade and sun, but there were lots of people who "reserved" chairs at the pool. There was the ability to participate in the activities around the pool or to soak up some sun. We only walked by the quiet pool twice and it was very very quiet and there were lots of people there.

3. The Excursions - we all had a really good time on the Catamaran snorkeling excursion. We stopped at two areas to snorkel. In the first area we snorkeled, the water was a bit rough and there weren't many fish (which isn't anbody's fault), the second snorkeling site was far better and there were tons of fish and a shipwreck to look at. We had a nice lunch and open bar and the crew was great. We had a hour long stop at Pillar Beach included. Overall a really nice day. Again, there were sunny spots and shady spots onboard the catamaran. I had the opportunity to go on the Spa excursion and had a nice and relaxing time. However, I found the vacation itself was just as relaxing.

The Not So Good:

1. Dated Rooms: the location of our room was really good (Block 10) but the rooms are tired. They were clean like many people have mentioned, but really are in need updating. This seems maybe picky or strange, but each bed only had 1 long pillow that stretched from one side to the other. I like having my own pillow and not sharing a pillow with my husband. When we asked for 2 separate pillows, they said they didn't have any. Could be a big deal to some and not others, but thought it was worth mentioning.

2. Odour in the Lobby: as many have mentioned, the smell in the lobby was extremely unpleasant and off-putting especially since there are a lot of people who hang out and use the lobby before/after dinner to enjoy a drink. Some days were much worse than others, but hopefully this can be resolved.

3. Tripping hazards: there were a number of spots where there was uneven concrete probably due to wear and tear and weather. There were some areas which looked like a broken cover to something in the ground that had caved, but were not fixed. You have to be careful when you are walking around. We saw a couple of people there that had broken arms (one person who broke their arm at the resort) we are not sure about the other lady we had seen earlier in the week.

Overall we had a good trip at Tryp. The weather we had couldn't have been better and certainly the best feature is the beach which we truly enjoyed. I don't know if this resort is a 4 star, probably more like a 3.5 star. Again, there were some great things, some good, and some not so good about the resort. I'm not sure if we would come back to this resort, but we might consider it just because of the beach alone.

Room Tip: Ask for a newer room in an area furthest away from the main pool area.
2 Thank Alexa19jm
Dear Alexa19jm,

Thank you for your time to write your comments here. It is very nice to know that overall we had a good trip at our Hotel. Your comments are very helpful and give us opportunities to continue working on improvements. Hope that you consider visit us again,

Polesworth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I would like to start by saying that after reading many reviews before our holiday which started 8th february 2013 for the duration of 2 wks , we were expecting the worse ! We were getting a little concerned about what we were about to let ourselves in for ? ...... Thankfully and im only speaking for myself and my family it was fantastic , take no notice of the bad reviews!!!, please take in to account first of all the country you are visiting , we have been on many holidays to various countries over the years and this as been one of our best ! not our worst !!! . I CANNOT state enough how brilliant the staff were, kids entertainer , our lovely waitress that looked after us each night we decided to visit the main buffet resturant who i am ashamed say after only being back a week ! i cannot recall her name ? the maids ,the gardeners who kept everything lovely and even made little gifts for you to , .The food was good , always hot ,and our two children never went hungry and they can be very fussy . The chefs will cook you fresh pasta, fried rice , various meats and fish, you can then choose whether you eat salad with your mains or vegetables i.e ( sweetcorn , brocoli, peas carrots) etc. on some nights they had fresh roast pork joint & and also a ham gammon joint on another occasion. Myself and my husband are quite adventurous with food so we tried allsorts and it was hit and miss , but over all we loved it and ate far to much lol . The breakfasts were fab too , again , fresh cooked eggs, omletes, pancakes. On arrival we were taken to our first room in block 12 which was based on the ground floor we had interconnecting rooms which were lovely , we stayed there fri to sun then moved to room 642 & 643 which was equally as nice , this was purely because we preferred first floor than ground . this was very efficently dealt with by the lovely staff on reception with no problems at all. the rooms were dated , as were parts of the hotel exterior, but it is 16yrs old and thats fine ,i am one of the fussiest people with my rooms and bathrooms ,and it they had been dirty my god they,d have known about it !! Instead our rooms were spotlessly clean, we had fresh towels and the rooms made up each day and a new bottles of water supplied daily ,your pool towels could also be changed each day if u required. The air con worked fine , it was a little bit noisy, but id rather have noise than be too hot , the pool area,s were nice , we spent our first day around the quite pool which was lovely and as you,d expect quite . The kids preferred the main pool , so thats where we spent the rest of our hols , and sometimes on the beach . the specialist resturants were nothing special though! we visited the italian,and international, both were prestented very well but lacked in flavour. However the BBQ Grill was lovely , we did not visit the cuban unfortunately , but would of if we,d been able to get a reservation . THE BEACH ::::: ABSOLUTELY STUNNING !!! i will be dreaming about it for years to come .i could not get over how clear and warm the sea was , glass bottom boat trip was good if u like snorkeling with the fish , we didn,t do any other trips as we prefer to chill which is what we did. Just to let you know phone calls cost an absolute bomb ? we spent £15.00 on 2.1/2 minute phone call back to england , txting by moblie was cheaper. Also i,d like to remind you that there is a 20peso tax fee to pay per person at the airport when you leave , we had not budgeted for this as we were not aware of it ? And any mistakes on your visa,s may cost you ! i did have a slight mistake on one side of mine , and was concerned it may cost me the other side ? but it didn,t thank goodness .Anyone going plz enjoy, we loved it , don,t let the dated decor put a dampner on such a lovely welcoming and friendly resort . we will definately go again one day ..xx

Room Tip: go and judge it for yourself .x
6 Thank Lisa C
Dear Lisa C,

It has been very nice to read your comments on this site and know that you were please and had a fantastic holidays. Thank you for your review here and hope to see you next time in our Hotel.

Hotel Cayo Coco Hotel
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We stayed at the Tryp from the 8th Feb for 2 weeks and I must say I was very pleasantly surprised. Reason being that after reading most of the reviews here I was quite nervous however there was no need to be as it was a delight.

I won't lie and say that it is perfect but people have really exaggerated with their complaints on here.

Rooms - Rooms are dated and they are in need of refurbishment but if you are on holiday then the room should only be for sleeping in and to this end they are clean, comfortable and get the job done. They are cleaned and replenished daily by friendly room service staff.

Pool Area - This is fantastic! Again does need some work as everything is dated but it is pleasant and comfortable. The pool area is very lively with local music, activities and a fun pool bar. If you prefer a quiet stay next to a pool then there is another pool on the other side of the resort which is quiet and also has a bar.

Food - The food range on offer is excellent! The buffet has a range to suit all for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The variety on offer is truly vast......cold cuts, eggs cooked all ways, local dishes, international dishes, pasta bar where you can choose your topping, omelette bar, fruits, desserts, salad bar, cereals, even bland British baked beans are on offer. There are also quite a few a la carte restaurants to choose from.

Bars - There are dotted all around the resort with the main bar in the lobby stocking the largest variety of drinks and cocktails. All of the other bars stock beer and the main local spirits. The staff are friendly and polite as long as you are the same back. I saw too many people simply grunt "beer" "rum and coke" "pina collada" with no please or thank you........so what did they expect from the staff??!!

The Beach - This was the highlight of the resort. The beach is beautiful with nice fine sand and clear water. Walking from our room to the walkway onto the beach sometimes looked like you were walking onto a pool! Some days the wind was quite high and the water was choppy but on the calm days the water was like glass. There are 3 bars around the beach with one directly on the sand and then other ones on each end. There is a nautical centre where you can book paid excursions or you can leave a deposit to take out pedal boats and canoes.

Thomas Cook Rep - I did not find him to be very friendly during the induction/intro meeting on our first day, in fact he was quite combative with questions and complaints from some customers. He was never at the desk and I found no way to get in touch with him if I had a problem. The best thing to do if you do have a problem is to speak to guest services. They were helpful and above all quick. I needed extra bottled water in the room and my air con was not 100% and they helped me within an hour.

Conclusion - It is well worth the money you pay to holiday here. Don't expect a luxurious resort as you will be disappointed. If you go with a mindset that this is a UK, European or North American 4 Star resort then you will feel let down. For what we paid this was exceptional value and we enjoyed every minute of it. We were on holiday to enjoy the sun, beach, pool, a little local culture, fun activities, the food and to relax. Too many people on here have complained about the rooms and the decor of the resort. Too much complaints about not being able to toast their bread quick enough or that they had no fish and chips.
There is a new "problem solver" at the resort and during the 2 weeks we were there we could already see his influence so things are looking good for Tryp for the future.

Room Tip: Try and get a room in the blocks either to the far west or far right of the theatre as you will hear...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Swansons1975
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Swansons1975,

We are glad to find your comments here and to know that you enjoyed every minute of your holidays. Your comments are very helpful. Thank you for your time to write your opinion on this site. Hope to meet you here again.