“Excellent Service!!”

Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Laval, Canada
“Excellent Service!!”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

This was my first trip to the Tryp Cayo Coco and it was wonderful! I have been to Cayo Coco and Varadero in different hotels and the Tryp is well above the rest!! The food is excellent with alot of choice. I was very pleasantly surprised, since in Cuba we do not expect very good food.... but Tryp Cayo Coco was wonderful! The staff are always ready to please and the site is beautiful! I would go back in a heart beat and strongly recommend this hotel to all sorts of guests... families, singles and solo travellers. I would like to mention the exemplery work and dedication of Alexander in the International restaurant, Dailyn in the hair salon, always ready to accomadate and please the customer and Angel, a dancer who is always very friendly and helpful for those of us who cannot dance merengue but would like to learn!! Great night-nime shows! Bravo to all the staff at Tryp!!! Thank you for a wonderful and memorable trip!

Room Tip: My room was in complex #6, right by the pool. the noise was minimal and I was not disturbed once. Th...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank NatashaR450

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,333)
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Let's start with Alberto Jerez (Director, General Manager ) Thankyou! You went out of you way beyond my expectation's to make our vacation as stress free and comfortable as possible. As the owner of a Restaurant and trying to please everyone ALL the time is daunting and demanding 24/7. If people could just keep in mind you in another country with a different culture totally from our own and relax , enjoy, and explore all what the island and hospitable people of Cuba have too offer you! Don't sweat the small things ! Relax! Your on Vacation! Ask if you need something? Don't like some of the food? It's All Inclusive-Try something else! You won't starve at this resort! The food here is well beyond most other resorts in Cuba! Our room was more than adequate and cleaned daily by the sweetest housekeeping lady that made sure all our Hotel Room needs were met Daily! Again , just ask Nicely if you need something! I don't think The word No is in their vocabulary! My daughter and myself work full-time for the Hospitals and so many of us travel to this resort because of the way the staff here treat all of us like family , not just guests visiting from another Country.
Again Thankyou! It might of rained all week and Mother Nature was not so kind , but Alberto and his Staff at Tryp Cayo Coco warmed us with their smiles leaving us happy and relaxed,and that's just what we came here for and thats what we got! Can't wait to come back , and I wish I could return the Hospitality too you all here, as my guests sometime to show my appreciation in the future.
Best Regards my Friends of Cuba
Ms. Deborah Hill & Nicole Hill
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Room Tip: We asked for block 7 overlooking the pool with a partial ocean view. We enjoy watching the fun at th...
4 Thank dvhvacations
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this review, May 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments. They are very nice and helpful. Hope to meet you here again. It will be always a pleasure to see you here.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed May 27, 2012

If your wondering if this hotel is for you, I would only say try it before you make a judgement call on what you read. I can only say good things dispite the fact the weather was aweful the week I went. Tropical depression had it the region and rained and was overcast the 7 days I was there. While the weather was not nice , the hotel did their best to entertain us all with many activities.
We arrived on May 19 and through my travel agent had all restaurant al la carte reserved for us including early check in. First room we went too was not in a location that was quiet and in the end we ended up upgrading to ocean view. Way cheaper to upgrade there than to before you leave.
Beach was amazing, Food was good. Rooms where a bit out dated but who lives in them anyways.
I can only say that the cuban people teach me that nothing matters in life but family and love. Here in Canada we are so busy with what we want and not what we have. They are very humbly , and welcoming and not to mention good hearted and hard working people. Aryles, Naylat, Dara and of course Lorenzo at the Italain Restaurant made my stay a postive one dispite the weather. I will alway have them in my heart. A huge thank you to them!! I would recommende this hotel to all. I almost forgot. A big thank you to all my new Canadian friends I met there. Had a Blast!!!! I am already planning my second trip there and have been to other islands in that area , I have now a new home.

Room Tip: I would suggest if you have extra tooth paste, clothes or anything you no longer use , please bring...
4 Thank marenko
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

It has been very nice to read that you really enjoyed your stay in spite of the bad weather conditions. Thank you for your comments and hope to see you very soon in your new home.

Brooklin, Canada
Reviewed May 26, 2012

Our family has just returned from our second Cuban vacation and first to Tryp Cayo Coco. Overall we enjoyed the vacation. Most concerns we did have stemmed from comparison to our previous stay in Cuba at another Melia property in Cayo Santa Maria.

This was a great family resort. Our two kids 10 & 12 years old had a great time, even saying they enjoyed this trip over a previous Disney cruise. The beach was clean and the water clear and very swimmable. We found a couple of great snorkeling spots about 40m off the shore. The free form pool was lots of fun and always had room for all of the parties. We found lots of activities to participate in including volleyball in the pool, a pellet rifle competition and horseback riding on the beach.

There was plenty of options for restaurants. At this time of year we had no trouble getting al a carte meals on 6 of our 7 nights. We really enjoyed the Italian dinner and returned twice. Our opinion of the food overall was split. I quite enjoyed all of my meals, but I am an adventurous eater. My wife was not as happy. A few of the dinners were not to her liking, in particular the Cuban dinner. But the real weakness was the buffet. We could not help but compare it to the Melia Las Dunas buffet and Tryp did not meet the standard of that location. For example, the pasta bar had two options tomato sauce or bolegnese sauce, no veggies, spices or other toppings to add. That being said, I will say they are trying hard. We saw the General Manager walking the floor of every restaurant on the property. And on the final day they hosted a pig roast by the pool that was fantastic.

I would like to give special mention to some of our waiters. Lenardo and Joaquin were our buffet waiters. We went to their section everyday for breakfast. Their exceptional service was very appreciated. Our other favorite was Lorenzo, a waiter at the Italian. He was amazing with our kids making our dinner experience very entertaining.

Two problems we ran in to were the rooms and very aggressive tip mongering.

Our first room was in building one. The room 118 was the farthest available room, the staff thought they were doing our kids a favour by putting us in the "quiet" section. We were there to be part of the festivities and felt lost that far out. But the bigger problem was the weird renovations to this room. It was one of the newest rooms and looked pretty until we realized there was no bathroom door, apparently be design. We are in no way prudes but... Really even happily married couples like a little privacy while sitting on the toilet and would prefer not to have our kids watching us shower. The hotel was quick to move us to room 108, which at least had a bathroom door, although you had to put a towel on the floor to keep it closed. On our second day our Nolitours rep got us moved to building 6 with a view of the pool. This was a vast improvement, we felt like we were part of the party and close enough that when needed our kids could run back to the room and felt safe.

The aggressive tip mongering was the only thing that truly upset us. The gardners were literally jumping out of the bushes trying to sell you junk. On the beach, the first few days the chairs were set up and waiting in the morning. By our fourth day the chairs were not set up and a guy on the beach would try and "sell" you a spot and clean chairs off for you. On the last day he followed me for almost 50m down the beach. Tryp needs to get this under control, if this behavior continues to escalate I would not return. We visit the Island areas of Cuba specially because we expect to not be accosted by local "merchants" the fact that is the staff doing this makes the behavior even more offensive.

Some suggestions for people considering a trip to Cayo Coco-
- stop at Canadian Tire and buy the 54oz Bubba. It is just the right size for one trip to the bar followed by a lazy afternoon by the pool
- try the horseback riding 45 minutes for 10 CUC was a good value
- The required cash for tips and expenses for the week came to $400 for us, that included the $25/person tax to leave Cuba, excursions were paid with credit card
- there is a bank on site and we never had trouble accessing it, and their rates beat the airport bank
- bring lots on sunscreen, the choice on site was not fantastic

Room Tip: Building 6 was great fun and close to the pool.
2 Thank Routh_Family
Dear Guest,

It is very nice to know that your enjoyed your stay. We sincerely offer you apologies for any inconvenience that made you felt bad in our Hotel. We will take your comments into consideration for working. Hope to meet you again here. Thank you for your review.

Cornwall, Canada
Reviewed May 25, 2012

The Tryp Cayo Coco hotel was one that we explored during our 7 day trip to Cuba. This hotel is part of the Sol Melia family, and allows you to go and visit a few other hotels in the Melia family (such as Sol Cayo Guillermo and Sol Cayo Coco).

This hotel is accessible by a bus system that allows you to travel to the Playa Pilar beach and other hotels. It is much closer to the airport than the hotels you'd find when visiting Cayo Guillermo, which is a plus when travelling with a young family.

They have a wonderful play area for children, with a shallow pool that allows the little ones to really enjoy themselves. They have tons of chickens and baby chicks, flamingoes, peacocks and ducks on site, which can be quite entertaining.

Gardiners make hats and various little gifts for tips. We purchased a hat, at the cost of 4 pesos, but gave 5 pesos. Though it's made of plant, we were able to wear it back to Canada, where we are told it will survive over a year in good shape.

There is an outdoor buffet, providing poutine, hotdogs and hamburgers. This was a nice change from what we had been eating previously. Their indoor buffet is quite nice, large and spacious. We were greeted in a friendly fashion and made to feel welcome immediately.

The bartender as you come in to the lobby was fantastic and friendly. When we ordered our drinks (virgin Pina Coladas, as I am pregnant), he jokingly told us to go to the kid section. There is an amazing view from where we were sitting.

This resort is LARGE and very active. You can spend time feeling out for a good spot around the pool.

Room Tip: Second story rooms are the best kind.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Christine P
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. We consider them very helpful. Hope to meet you here sometime again.

Cambridge, Canada
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Beach - Amazzzzing :) the sand, the water and the breeze :))

Rooms - Ok, a little outdated but clean enough

Food - Always something to eat, first time in Cuba, was expecting the worst and was pleasantly surprised. Only ate in Buffet though.

Pool - Only really hung out at pool once, the beach was too gorgeous to ignore. lol

Service - was good, i read on previous reviews, pick a spot in the buffet area to sit and get the same waitstaff and they get to know you and are very friendly etc. We kinda stayed to ourselves quite a bit and moved around and got good service but i did notice some interactions between the staff and visitors and alot of laughter and hugs etc.

I think if your expecting a 5 star all around you wont find it here BUT if you dont care about not being somewhere posh you will find everything you need here and have a great time. :))

I wanted a relaxing, laidback vacation and i got it. We plan on returning with a big group next year and i know we will party and have an amazing time.

Dear Guest,

we are really glad knowing that your first time in Cuba have been a very nice experience and that out Hotel have been part of it. Thank you for your comments and Hope to see you here again when you come back with your family.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Well, as I have written before, this hotel is still my top choice in Cuba. The management continues to upgrade many aspects (as well as the food). The latest additions included wonderful upgrades to the woodworking of the steps and bar in the main lobby - plus the stairs and bridge to the swim-up bar in the main pool. There are new lounge chairs everywhere and they plan to work on all the rooms over the summer. Blocks 7, 8, and 9 are to be re-fitted with new drapes and re-tiling of the floors (especially the bathrooms). The only negative this time was the mosquitoes at the airport (the hotel sprays and has eliminated alot of standing water so there was pretty much no problem at the hotel). So that's it until I return in November.

Room Tip: It depends on what you want. I always like block 7 rooms as they over-look the main pool. Not so m...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you once again for being part of our family. Thank you for this review, it is very helpful. Hope to see you back in you ¨home¨ very soon.