“Restful Get Away”
Review of Melia Cayo Coco

Melia Cayo Coco
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Reviewed January 19, 2011

I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to the Melia Cayo Coco beach front hotel/resort. I liked the fact that it was adults only and that it attracted a more mature traveler. The setting is spectacular with lagoon rooms built on stilts. I had an injury prior to my trip and was accommodated with a beautiful room steps away from several restaurants, pool, beach and lobby. On the beach, workers promptly asked me where I wanted to have my beach chair placed. They paid attention to the details. Service for the most part was prompt, polite and sensitive to my needs. The beach extended eastward for miles it seemed with no other hotel in that direction - hence low traffic. The a la carte restaurants offered excellent and tasty selections along with live music adding to the ambiance. There are several gazebos located throughout the well landscaped resort where fragrant flowers are scattered throughout. There was a wedding held there in the gazebos overlooking the pool with the sea in the background. The best set up that I have seen for a resort wedding with room for wedding guests and reception. Nightly, the entertainment consisted of the typical hotel reviews in the amphitheater and great musical sets by fantastic world class musicians in the lobby bar. There was more than enough activities to keep even the lone traveler busy. I would recommend the Melia Cayo Coco to the traveler who is looking for a more intimate and elegant setting. I will travel here again.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank jeihastingsblog
MeliaCay0C0c0, General Manager at Melia Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2011

Dear Sir/Madam,
We are very glad to know you really enjoyed our Adults Only facilities and services. Thank you very much for describing all them and sharing your views through tripadvisor. The fact that you are already looking forward to coming back makes us feel very proud of our daily efforts on offering the best of our services to our visitors each passing day. Please, let us know whenever you have made your next booking for us to look after any arrangement.
José Carlos Sánchez

Write a ReviewReviews (6,427)

Reviewed January 17, 2011

We stayed for 2 weeks at the end of November-beginning of December. We had a great time. The staff are phenomenal!

My boyfriend took part in the Melia Games put on my the Animation Team. He had a great time! Thank you William for keeping us laughing!

Orlando at the billiard bar is always quick with a warm and genuine smile, as well as I quick "surprise me" drink!

Joel, Orlando, and many others at the Pool Bar we great to chat with especially when we would stop by in the wee hours of the morning to chat, drink and have a snack. We were extremely disappointed when towards the end of our stay they started closing the pool bar at 11pm. My boyfriend was actually quite angry about it. The lobby bar was open for beverages but no snacks. He likes his late night/early morning snacks and coffee.

The staff at the restaurants and buffet were wonderful. They were all ready with a warm smile, hug and kiss on the cheek. Yanelis is such a sweet woman. There are many others whom I miss but can't recall names. The food was good, especially the BBQ at lunch at the Cuban restaurant. Thanks Aniel for taking such good care of us!

The grounds are well kept. All of the gardeners, espcially Filipe and Jose, are very friendly and greet you every time is a big smile and a hug!

Everyone at the diving centre are fantastic!! Unfortunately the weather was not the best so there were not many dives while we were there. A special thanks to Javier, Marin, Alejandro, Jose, Iliana, Ivan and Tony for making the trip so memorable! Seeing the dolphin was a highlight. I enjoyed the snorkeling as well.

We went to the disco at the trip 3 times, but didn't stay long on one occasion because it was empty! I enjoyed the music, I am not sure if my boyfriend did though!

I would run every morning off the resort and then walk a long the beach passed the lobster shack, such a beautiful walk even with all the seaweed. My boyfriend would bike ride or use the gym almost daily.

I would love to go back. I miss all of the friends I have made there, especially those in the diving centre!

The staff make the experience at the Melia warm and welcoming. They make the hotel what it is!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CubaPaws

Dear Sir/Madam,
We are in full agreement when saying our staff is phenomenal. They are the main reason for all our repeat customers coming back, and the main responsible for every single guest's holiday enjoyment. We will pass your appreciation onto all the ones your mention, including the Blue Diving staff. Thank you for your detailed review, and let us know when you have booked your next stay with us, we will be very glad to look after any request you might have.

Reviewed January 12, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Melia for our honeymoon after it was recommended to us by a coworker. We had a great time. This resort is beautiful and the staff was great! We stayed in a standard room which was well kept by the maid and always had plenty of toilet paper, towels etc. My only complaint with the room was there was no hot water. Our showers were luke warm at best but we didn't care. Our fridge was always stocked with water, pop and beer everyday. The beach is so beautiful and kept really clean. The grounds were well kept as was the rest of the resort. We would definately, go back again.
safe travels.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Dakota1978

Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank you for sharing your views on this site. We are sorry for the inconvenience with the hot water in your room. Our hot water system is independent, so every room has its own heater. Whenever there is a problem with the hot water and we can not fix it in a reasonable time space, we inform the guest he/she must move rooms. When you come back, we will make sure you do not face such inconvenience again, and will do our very best for you to have an even more enjoyable vacation with us.
Warmest regards,

Reviewed January 10, 2011

We stayed at the Melia Cayo Coco for two weeks at the end of March and got married there on the 6th April 2010. Everything about out stay was PERFECT from beginning to end. On arrival we were upgraded to a lagoon room which was fantastic. We met with the wedding planner (Niurka) the following day and she took us through everything that would happen on the wedding day and booked the extras we requested. We did not have to think about anything again until the day, she really did go above and beyond anything we expected and was there all day to ensure that everything ran smoothly.
Everything about the hotel, food, entertainment etc was excellent and the only complaint i have is that it had to come to an end. Both myself and my husband will definately be returning as it will always be very special to us. Also the guests that came with us will also return as they enjoyed themselves so much.... Thank you to everyone who made it so special for us all.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Nicki028

Dear Guests,
Oh, unfortunately, there is nothing we can do at the moment regarding your only complaint of a holiday that came to an end. After such an enjoyed vacation, we also wish it would have been longer. Go ahead with your plans of coming back, we have many couples which also got married in our hotel and keep coming back to celebrate their anniversaries. Niurka and the rest of the staff will be more than happy in providing you with another wonderful holiday experience.
Looking forward to seeing you again,

Reviewed January 9, 2011

Third visit to cayo coco, second to the Melia. As soon as we arrived it was like coming home made to feel very welcome and we were remembered by staff(Tamara,Pepe,William,Kitty) to mention a few. Also bumped into guests from previous visit (Bob from Canada). We were upgraded to a beautiful room on the lagoon and it was good to see the entertainment area for the shows finished. The food as always was plentiful and varied. Our only not so good gripe was the weather which unfortunately was overcast with showers for about four days of our two week stay. Management staff were very helpful and approachable and the managers dinner was first class. Would also like to give a big Thankyou to Norma Thomas cook rep where nothing was to much trouble. We have already decided to come back in 2011 a fantastic island with fantastic people.

• Stayed: November 2010
4  Thank Jasonanddeki

Dear Loyal Customers,
With such a positive opinion we can assume there are still many times ahead for you to re-visit your second home. Thank you for your review, and thank you for your preference in 2011. We will be more than glad in providing you with the level of services you deserve. If there is any request we can accommodate, just let us know about it for us to look after the arrangements.

Reviewed January 8, 2011

This was another fantastic visit to the Melia. I stayed for 3 weeks & i have not one bad thing to say about the place. The Animation team were once again very friendly & a great laugh especially Ismary, Elier, Mily, Aylec, Junete & Pepe. I had not seen too many of the shows but made the effort to watch most of them & i was amazed at how good they were espicially the New years eve show. Naisel & Heidy did a spectacular performance of Beyonce & Lady Gaga but all the dancers deserve special praise for there efforts. The Bar billiard is a great place to have a drink before & after the show & Orlando,Joseph & Yaniyo always did whatever they could to make you smile. The room i was allocated was once again a lovely place to stay(Thanks Violetta) & was kept very clean & tidy by the maid & as regular as clockwork the minibar was stocked every morning & when he knocked on the room tht was my Que. to get up for a wonderful breakfast in the buffet bar. Once again i can not speak high enough of the Melia & i got to meet the new manager who was very welcoming & he has had made some great changes in standards since he arrived. The team he employs all seem to love there work & the place in general seems to have raised its standards to a higher level. So in short dont listen to those negative comments just go & enjoy the Melia experience & judge it your self.
Thanks to everyone at the Melia for another fantastic holiday &i cannot wait to go back sooner rather than later.
Steve

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Cheggers99

Dear Steve,
Your detailed review and its magnificent title fully describe the way you enjoyed your stay with us. Opinions like yours make us feel proud of our efforts, although we still have lots of areas and issues to improve. That is what we work for, so do keep coming, we will not dissappoint you.
With warmest regards, already looking forward to seeing you again and having another talk at any time,

Reviewed January 8, 2011

SUMMARY
---------------
We are pretty well traveled vacationers and been to many parts of the globe. This was our fourth trip to the Caribbean.

Me & my wife just returned back from one week stay at the Meli Cayo Coco. We stayed in a lagoon room which had a nice view of the lagoon where we could see tranquil sunrise & sunsets. We experienced FANTASTIC service from the staff at the resort, and we had a good experience at the three ala carte restaurants , and the breakfast service was very good as well!! The beach directly in front of the resort is a bit too close to water and is generally very windy, however this is not a problem since just a short walk away on the other side is a lovely beach which is insulated from winds and you can walk for several meters in waist deep water before you go into the deep end!!! The entertainment staff is great, warm and very hard working!!! We made many friends amongst the staff and as well as other guests from Canada/Britain/Sweden. We went to the fabulous Pilar beach as well as the disco at the Sol Cayo Coco and had a very nice time. If you are easy going, and you make an effort to be nice to the staff and other guests, you will see that your kindness will be returned many fold back and you will have a great time. If you are one of those super anal people who find fault with the most trivial things, and expect to be treated like an emperor/empress for $1000 bucks then please don't bother coming here.

Kudos to Jose Carlos Sanchez and the staff at Melia Cayo Coco for providing superb experience to us and our friends. We will be back again, and will definitely recommend this resort to our family and friends.

DETAILS
------------

TRAVEL AGENCY:
==============
We booked via escapes.ca. The customer service was very pleasant and efficient.

Transat Holidays/Nolitours CANADA
============================
In Canada, when I had a couple of questions, I could not even reach the service agents on the customer service line. The line was always busy and you are directed to a voice mail. This is perhaps the last time i will book with them.

CANJET Experience
================
The cabin staff is ok, and the not too friendly. The customer service line is actually reachable and helpful. Unless you are physically a very tall person, I do not think you would want to pay the $35 per way for reserving seats with the extra legroom. Also, I dont think the VIP package where you have a separate check-in as well as a waiting room in Cuba is that useful!!

TIP: on the flight back to Canada, there is a hot meal service, and you may not want to buy the chips/chocolate etc from the crew (they didn't tell us until later that there is a hot meal service).

Arriving In Cayo Coco
=================
(a) The airport is small, and as soon as you land, you have to go through the customs/immigration, and then go through a baggage x-ray machine for your carry on luggage. If you have too many electronics (like I did) then they will stop you and ask you questions for around 15 minutes!!!

(b) Then you pick up your luggage and go towards your local rep for your travel agency. You are then directed to your bus that will take you to your resort.

TIP: (1) The exchange rate at the airport is better than at the hotel. Take your time to exchange your money to Cuban Convertible Pesos (2) We saw many old folks getting confused with similar looking baggage and picking up other peoples bags. So make sure you properly identify your luggage with some markers

(c) The trip to the resort is in a nice air conditioned bus. The local rep will speak via a microphone to give you some details about Cuba.

Checking In To Melia Cayo Coco
==========================
The check in process is fast and smooth. If you are exchanging currency then watch out that you dont get ripped off. We hard many guests say that they were ripped off.

NOTE TO Manager JOSE CARLOS: PLEASE.......Why don't you please put up a sign that explicitly shows the exchange rate for the day at the check in counter!! This way the guests can perhaps avoid being given different rate by different check-in agents at the hotel.

The Lagoon Room
===============
There are three types of rooms that we know of. The standard room, the lagoon room and the suite. We checked into the lagoon room. The room was big, and had a king size bed, a modern LCD flat panel TV, a CD/Radio player, a nice dresser, a nice wooden rocking chair, a tall mirror, night tables, ample electric outlets etc. The closets & shelves were comparatively a bit dated, but were functional and did the job. The air conditioning is very powerful. There is a safe in the room. The washbasin is marble and is spacious and has toiletries available. The bathroom was CLEAN, but a bit disappointing since it clearly looked dated, and the water pressure was just adequate. There is a big balcony with 2 chairs, one table and two sun loungers!! The view from the balcony of the lagoon and the sunrise/sunset is AWESOME/PEACEFUL/RELAXING. There were no bugs/ants/mosquitoes whatsoever in the room. We even left the balcony door open and no bugs came into the room. We were on the first floor, and we could see the fish in the lagoon.

NOTE: (1) Please watch out for the hot/cold mix in the shower tub, since the hot water is really VERY VERY HOT and you have to play with the knob to get the right temperature!!! (2) If you stay on the ground floor you get a bigger balcony (3) get some bread from the buffet o if you enjoy feeding the fish. They will come to the edge of the lagoon near your room in large numbers to eat the food you throw to them.

The Resort Grounds
================
Very beautiful, and full of palm trees and flowery plants. You can take many paths on the resort grounds and they are all well maintained. The main lobby is also very spacious, open, welcoming & beautiful.

The Bars
=======
There are too many places for guests to get drinks, and I wont bother detailing it. Just suffice to know that you will not be thirsty at this resort!!!! The servers are friendly. Most of them are efficient, while a very small percentage is are a bit too slow w.r.t service. However, once they know you after the first couple of days the service experience is just amazing.

The Main Buffet For Breakfast
=======================
Very nice food variety. I used to get fresh fruit juices, cheese, freshly made omlettes, sausages etc. The staff was very polite and friendly.

The Main Buffet For Lunch/Dinner
==========================
Very nice food variety. Decent choice of desserts. In addition to the prepared entres, you could also get freshly made Pasta with your choice of condiments, and also you could get freshly grilled fish/beef/chicken/shrimp etc of your choice. The food is a bit bland for our taste, and we used hot sauces to spice it up. We took our own hot sauce with us.

The Ala Carte Restaraunt For Lunch/Dinner
==================================
What a fabulous service and nice dining experience!!! We enjoyed all the ala carte restaurants. These served multi course meals, and I was so stuffed that I had to tell them not to get me any more courses!!! Reservations are necessary since the dining seats are taken up fast. So goto the pool bar and make your reservations on day 1. Also please note that you are expected to be decently dressed and on time ( we were late by 30 minutes on one occasion and we could see that the head staff was not too pleased).

NOTE; We loved the Cuban restaurant (the one in front of the ocean) for daily lunch. The service is outstanding and the shrimps/fish are very delicious!!!

The Entertainment Staff
==================
The best I have seen in the Caribbean so far. They are very very friendly, very talented, beautiful and extremely hard working!!! We became friends with them, and we went with them to the club at the Sol Cayo Coco for a fabulous time!!!! By the way, the New Years Show they put on was very very good!!!! Based on our experience at other Caribbean resorts, I was expecting the entertainment staff to be dull & boring, and was very happy that it turned out to be otherwise.

The Pool
=======
Lots of sun loungers around the pool. This area was full of people and it looked like you may have to come in early to get a lounger/chair. We are beach people and we never went into the pool.

The Beach
=========

Excursions & Stuff
===============
(a) Pilar Beach : Wow... this is a very beautiful beach. It is ranked amongst the best beaches in the world. You can take a tourist bus from your hotel (5 CUC return) to reach this place. The bus leaves at 8.00am/9.00am/11.00am from the hotel. The last bus back from the beach is at 5.00pm. There is a local restaurant at the beach, and you can get loungersat the beach for 2CUC each. You can take a snorkelling trip there for 16CUC each and they take you to a coral reef and show you a sunken ship.

(b) The Cave: Essentially this is a bat cave in the day and on every Tue it is transformed into a disco. If you are over 20 years old, then it is best to avoid it. We paid 25CUC per person, and really regretted it when we arrived there. There is a lot of confusion in taking the bus back to the hotel at 2.00am in the night. NOT WORTH IT!!!

(c) The Jeep Safari: Heard it was good. It was sold out so we could not partake in it

(d) The Disco at Sol Melia: This is part of your all inclusive deal. Take a free ticket from the lobby and enjoy dancing the night away. The drinks are free and the music is decent. It is really fun when the hotel entertainment staff join you there.

(e) Massage: My wife took a 1 hour massage for 35CUC. She really enjoyed it. make sure you get the licensed masseuse and not the other untrained guy.

Departure Trip Back To Airport
========================
Return your towels or the towel ticket when you check out. Check out is fast and painless. Remember to take along 25CUC per person for the airport departure tax

Departure Experience At Airport
=========================
Essentially pain less. Just checkin at your counter. The VIP lounge experience or the slect plus options are not really worth it. Once you are checked in, you spend time in the airport lounge where there are a few shops selling duty free alohol/cigars/music/small gift items etc.

I hope this helps you, and I wish you love/peace/happiness in any travel that you undertake.

Cheers,
Pravin

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
27  Thank goadude
MeliaCay0C0c0, General Manager at Melia Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2011

Dear Sir/Madam,
Your review will certainly help everyone who reads it. Thank you very much for fully describing your holiday experience in the island. You fully enjoyed all the services and facilities offered not only in our hotel but also by outsiders. Well done!
We have taken note of the issues you make reference and would like to provide you with some views on two of them. Lagoon room bathrooms will be renovated during this year, we already count on the materials in the country and as soon as occupancy levels allow us, we will commence with the works. Regarding exchange rate I would like first to apologise for the misunderstanding, we do have it properly signed at the Front Desk every day; anyways this matter has been checked by the Front Desk Manager with the staff involved in order to avoid this inconvenience (never seen before) again.
It was our pleasure to provide you with such an experience. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for recommending our hotel to your family and friends, and especially for announcing your return.
Looking forward to meeting you,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Coco
#7 of 12 in Cayo Coco
IBEROSTAR Mojito
IBEROSTAR Mojito
#8 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to Melia Cayo Coco? Share your experiences!