“Our Home away from Home-Beautiful resort”
Review of Melia Cayo Coco

Melia Cayo Coco
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Reviewed April 12, 2009

Upon arrival, we were checked in in 10 minutes by the friendly efficient front desk staff. Our room assigned and our luggage delivered to our suite. The suite consists of 2 rooms and has just been refurbished. Well worth the upgrade!!
The lobby of the Hotel is expansive,eye pleasing and we were greeted with a drink. We have been her 12 times before so we can tell from experience here. There are many improvements made and being made to this Hotel. The Lobby furniture has been replaced,the Buffer remodeled, rooms being revamped, new patio area off the lobby to enjoy a drink amidst the flowers and tropical vegetation. In fact, the plantings look better than ever. Some replaced and some pruned and cut back.. very pleasing. There is a new Mgr (Teresa) and she is a gem. Very approachable and always willing to listen to suggestions. Melia has made a great choice bringing her in. She has a good staff.. New Italian Chef Mgr, Hiran..Mgr Customer services and Violeta..Ales Mgr and always around and available. The staff seem to be happier and willing to please. We found that tipping was not necessary but very appreciated and the wages in Cuba are very low. We tiped but that was our choice.
There are 4 restaurants. The Buffet which has been remodelled has a great variety of great food. Fresh fish, pasta bar, salad bar, grill for porkchops,steaks and fish. Cheeses and many other buffet itmes plus a great variety of desets round out the selection.. The Italian restaurant overlooking the pool has a new menu and is excellent. The pool snack bar below is open 24 hours and food and drinks are excellent. Omar and Yamil are great waiters. The Steak house has a pleasing decor and food is good. International restaurant on the water is elegant and a good choice of items.
The pool is large but not deep. Lot of chairs available but if it is a windy day, the beach goers come to the pool area so be sure to get out early to get a prime spot. The entertainment staff put on shows at night and they are worth seeing. These kids work really hard for your benefit. The animation staff have all kinds of things going on all day. Pool aerobics,pool volleyball, soccer on the beach, Dance and Spanish lessons. +++ Yoandra, Pepe, Tokey, Ismarie and Mayulis are always around. For night life, there is a disco next door where a lot of the different hotel staff members and ciients go and believe me, these kids would put dancing with the stars to shame!!
The beach area is clean and lots of chairs available. It is windy at Cayo Coco so there will be some days where the ocean is a litle rough. There is lots to do at Cayo Coco. There are 2 beaches worth going to. Pilar beach and Flamingo beach are gorgeous. Various other trips are worth while and the fishing is great!! In summary, this is a great resort. When travelling, remember that the food, the culture and weather are some of the main reasons people travel. remember that things are not the same as home. Try to be patient and relax. If you do, this resort will live up to your expectations. We will be going again in 2010

5  Thank BrianandJodyThorpe
There are newer reviews for Melia Cayo Coco

Reviewed April 8, 2009

My husaband and I stayed at Melia Cayo Coco from Mar 31st till April 7th. We had an amazing time.
The hotel, people, accomodations,pool, beach, entertainment..etc etc were outstanding.
We met a lot of wonderful guests.
We are planning to return next year.

4  Thank heatherlt59
Reviewed April 7, 2009

Stayed 17 March - 31st with my husband and it was everything we wanted and more.

Check in was fast and greeted with a glass of champagne, the buggy took your suitcases to the rooms for you, we tried tipping them but he wouldn’t take anything.

Rooms, spacious, clean and adequate, maid service, very good with regular towel art so we left her all unwanted clothes, shoes and products i.e. make up, shower gel, shampoos etc. Having seen the lagoon rooms, there really isn’t much difference, however the standard rooms are closer to everything, we had a room by the sports centre but it was only 5 minutes away from everything, beach, pool, buffet, lobby, billiard bar etc.

Food was excellent in the buffet, although repetitive, very much edible and enjoyable, I would advise to book for the Al a carte, however, the buffet is better, purely for a change of scenery. The beach grill during the day for lunch was nice, bbqs cooked in front of you, by night became the steak house, although the food was nice here, it was not a brilliant experience as we were in and out in half an hour, International, small portions (small tip, roast potatoes are actually crisps lol), so if you like to eat a lot have a big lunch or book early so you have time to go to the buffet to top up alternatively, the snack bar is 24/7. The Italian was our favourite out of the 3. Don’t get me wrong, I am not complaining as the standard of food and service all over was more than adequate.

The surroundings were beautiful, the pool filled up early as the beach gets very windy, however, you should always be able to find somewhere to sit as the beds are brought up from the beach if required.

The Billiard bar was the best place I found due to it being a bit more lively and having the sports on so it kept the hubby amused lol. Orlando and Joseph were brilliant, best daiquiris and pina's ever. Mojitoes were also very good there.

I would recommend leaving any souvenirs to mainland Cuba as the hotel rip you off, for example, we brought a typical sized photo frame from Trinidad for 5 pesos whereas the hotel were charging 8 for a small one, please also take high factor and plenty of it sun cream wise as it is also very expensive 20 pesos!!!! and the only day I got severely burnt was the day I used there so called waterproof factor 30 and I am constantly slapping it on as I am so fair, i had to go down to 15 the next day and that was far better than there’s.

Make sure you make the trip to pillar, we didn’t do it as an excursion we took the local bus at 5 pesos each and had lunch at melia guillermo, cheaper than doing it as a trip and at your own leisure. I would recommend visiting the other hotels again for the change of scenery.

I honestly cannot find a fault with the holiday other than the fact we had to leave, my husband and I had planned out an escape route so we could stay lol

There is so much more I could write but it will take longer than the holiday lasted lol, please ignore negative reviews and go with an open mind because it really was the best holiday I have ever had and I really did not want to leave, would definatly go back.

8  Thank windle06
Reviewed April 7, 2009

Went to the Melia 18th March - 1st April and had a fantastic time. LIke previous travellers reviews we were a bit apprehensive but we need'nt of been, we had a brilliant time and I am still wondering how people could complain about this piece of Cuban heaven. The only thing different about the lagoon rooms was the view, we stayed in the basic ones which were of the same size and kept spotlessly clean.The food was great and so were the staff including the gardeners who were very appreciative if you gave them your drinks out of your mini bar.When you go down to the beach turn right and keep walking until you come to a shack on your right which does amazing lobster at 15 pesos each - worth every penny.Be adventurous and take a walk down and have a beer and listen to the local Cuban who will play his guitar for you (it's not part of the all inclusive but hey)
We met some great fellow travellers , I'm sure you all know who you are, one of you still owes us a drink (ha ha)It's a shame First Choice are pulling out but Thomas Cook go there.The locals are very appreciative of any items you leave behind so when you go take lots of extra razors,t shirts and womens stuff! I would advise you to take stirling as it is the easiest to exchange. Hi to everyone we met.
If you have any doubts - don't - you will not be disappointed.

7  Thank Stephen C
Reviewed April 6, 2009

My husband and I were at the Melia from 18th March to the 1st April, we booked it back in June 2008 when the reviews then were all very positive. When I read the reviews a month or so before the holiday I was very apprehensive as the reviews were not good and I had booked this holiday for other people as well as ourselves which I felt responsible for the hotel and holiday being good.

Well all I can say is that people will moan about anything and everything!!!! You have to realise that you are in Cuba, the hotel was as far as I was concerned a 5 star hotel for Cuba, no it is not comparable to a 5 star in say Dubai!!!

We were in a lagoon room which was well worth the upgrade, the evening sun could be soaked up from the balcony and the sunset was amazing most nights. The room was more than adequate, the bathrooms need updating but were perfectly clean and there were always fresh towels if you needed them. We enjoyed all the restaurants. the buffet was always good and you could always find something you liked, I loved the fresh grilled prawns, fish and Calamares, salads were good at lunchtime although the freshly prepared burgers went down well with some in our party!! For breakfast we always sat outside on the terrace, lovely to just sit there and take in the early morning sun, there were freshly made omelettes or eggs every day and plenty of other choices. Lunch and dinner were the same with the buffet. The A La Carte restaurants were very good, it was quite refreshing not to have a great plateful of food put in front of you and anyway you could always ask for more if need be. The service was good in the restaurants and we made full use of our 6 visits. We did hear comments from other guests moaning about the restaurants but in our experience it was totally unfounded.

The lobby bar was a good meeting place and the waitresses and waiters were always helpful and we tipped them a peso each time (about 80p) and I always find if you treat people in a respectful manner and tip them then you will always be looked after well. There was always music going on but perhaps not to everybody's taste but hey we are all different. We always enjoyed the entertainment and the nightly show was much the same each night but it was good to go and see all the costumes and you do not have to go every night. The snooker barv was a good place to visit at about 5.30pm as you can sit outside and have a drink overlooking the lagoon and soaking up the last bit of sun for the day!

The beach was beautiful, the only downside is there are not enough shades and we had to go down at 7.30 am to ensure a shady positiion for our fairer colleagues!!

We went on one trip to Trinidad which we did not see on our last visit to Cuba, it was a lovely day out and glad that we went.

All in all this was a truly wonderful, relaxing holiday, an adult only hotel added to our comfort. Please do not be put off by "moaners" there is absolutely nothing to moan about. Last year we went to Costa Rica and I read Tripadvisor before we went and was dreading the holiday because of the moans about the hotel which again were totally unfounded! Go ahead have a lovely holiday and make you own mind up about this truly lovely Cuban hotel!!

6  Thank Susie060
Reviewed April 5, 2009

My husband and I visited the Melia from March 26th-April 2. This was our second trip to Cuba so we knew what to expect of Cuban standards as compared to Canadian. We booked a Lagoon Room but would not do that again. They are the same as the standard rooms except in the lagoon which is at the end of the resort so a walking distance to the pool and beach. I must say the view was awsome from our balcony but I could not stand the smell first thing in the morning as it reminded me of a sewer. In the evening with the breeze the smell was gone. Looking at the lagoon we were skeptical of what might be floating around in it!!! The furnishings really were in bad shape but the room was spotless with new white sheets everyday. The kingsize bed was comfortable but pillows needed to be replaced.

The weather was amazing and the beach spectacular.The most beautiful we have ever seen. The water crystal clear and very refreshing. Our friendly Pelican visited everyday and afforded us much enjoyment. I now have him as my screensaver.

We loved the food. There was never a day where we could not find something we enjoyed. The buffet was our favourite. The a la cartes were ok. The drinks were plentiful and they do not skimp on the alcohol. My favourite was lunch at the beach restaurant where the hamburgers and the spit cooked chicken were the best. I must not forget the ice cream which was delicious.We never got sick on anything we ate or drank.

I can not say enough about the people of Cuba. They have nothing but they are the happiest and friendliest you will find anywhere and very appreciative of anything you give them and they do not expect tips. We brought lots of gifts and clothes and shoes which were appreciated. Seeing how happy they were with nothing made me wonder what is the problem with the rest of the world!!
All in all a wonderful relaxing trip and we will return next year.The Melia should be very proud of their staff. The maids,gardner,beach and bar attendants and waiters and waitressess were all amazing. Recreational staff did a great job. The two pianists at the piano bar were very talented and friendly.

2  Thank queenie014
Reviewed April 5, 2009

I went to Melia Cayo coco for 7 nights at the start of May 2008. I went with 3 friends and had two double rooms. We booked it with Thomas Cook, the flight was lovely cabin crew were brilliant and it really didnt feel like a 9 hour flight. We arrived at the airport and then very quickly got our lugage and then was only a 15 minute transfer to the hotel which was great. We arrived at the resort and what a lovely welcome we had. The staff were singing and dancing and were offering champaign to greet us it was absolutely delightful. It only took 10-15 minutes to check in. The Pilot of our flight and the cabin crew were also staying at the resort so that was rather nice. We spoke to them and they told us how they always stay at the Melia Cayo coco as it is the best resort on the Island. So we were happy :) The weather was absolutely gorgeous from the time we stepped of the plane to the time we left. We only went with a maximum 25 factor suncream and me and my friends tan easily However i would strongly recommend taking at least a factor 40 as it is Definately needed. After the first day we spent a fortune on high factor suncream as we had burnt the first day even though we had reapplied it repeatdly. Before we went we were warned about the high amount of Mosquitos and to take lots and lots of repellant. but to our suprise we did not get one bite and didnt see any mosquitos so that was a relief. The staff at the Melia are out of this world they will do anything to make your stay enjoyable. They would bring cold flannels round the pool everyday and offer drinks throughout the day. I read some of the reviews before we went and was a little hesitant but OH MY GOD they are sooo wrong. This is really the best resort i have ever been to and will go back as soon as a i can.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
#3 of 12 in Cayo Coco
Iberostar Playa Pilar
Iberostar Playa Pilar
#1 of 7 in Cayo Guillermo

Been to Melia Cayo Coco? Share your experiences!