“Exceeded all of our expectations!”
Review of Melia Cayo Coco

Melia Cayo Coco
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Reviewed May 7, 2014

This was our first trip to Cuba, but it will definitely not be our last! We travelled April 29 - May 6 2014 and there were 10 of us in our party. Six of the 10 have been to Melia twice previously, and I am pretty sure I can speak for the 4 of us "first timers" that we all quite enjoyed our week. The food at all of the restaurants, and the buffet was always very good. I had heard from a lot of people that you "don't go to Cuba for the food", but I have to say, the selection, and the preparation of the food was very good. All of the staff were quite friendly, and genuinely very much wanted you to enjoy your time there. The grounds were kept immaculate by the gardening staff who you would see raking and sweeping during the day, and the facilities were constantly being monitored and cleaned throughout the day and into the evening. We stayed in a standard room which was very much adequate for the time we spent in it, very clean and comfortable. Two of the other couples we were with stayed in the lagoon rooms which were very impressive. The evening shows were always a treat, this group of very talented, high energy individuals seemed to really love entertaining everyone. The lobby band, and entertainers were also very impressive. The beach, and pool areas were outstanding, and because it is not a large resort, it never seemed crowded or uncomfortable. To be quite honest, I went to Cuba hoping to have a 7 out of 10 vacation, but the Melia Cayo Coco provided me with a 10!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
7  Thank Browns31
MeliaCay0C0c0, General Manager at Melia Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2014

Dear Browns31,
We are so glad to read that your first time in Cuba has been such an enjoyable experience while staying with us. Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review, which we have been glad to share with our team. It is very encouraging getting the feedback from the way they serve you and we take proud on them all. Having surpassed your expectations make us feel like we are succeeding on our daily efforts for providing our customers with unforgettable experiences. Thank you in advance for your upcoming visits with us and for recommending us on this site; you can rest assure that we will be striving on providing you with very enjoyable holiday experiences.
Santiago Innerarity

Write a ReviewReviews (6,345)

Reviewed May 6, 2014

To be honest, since it was our first time in Cuba, we were a little nervous. People always complain, we know but trying new things is an experience it itself. We tried the Melia Cayo Coco after searching for many places all over. We had certain criteria (18+, all-inclusive, under 400 rooms, beachfront, etc). The experience we had at the Melia surpassed any expectations we had.
I stayed with my sister, mother and father, and we were all equally impressed.
The food was awesome. After a week you may start to get tired of what is being served for breakfast, but thank goodness there's lots to choose from!
We loved the people who were there. From the waiters/bar tenders (Hecney, Andrés, Joel, Aldo, Eleodan, Eddy- we love you) to the entertainers (Alex, Dalita, Haney and Eric) to the gardeners [who I still thank for the beautiful gifts I received (Philippe, Yoel and another whose name I didn't find out but was lovely nonetheless)]. The people are what make your stay worthwhile.
My sister and I stayed in a room together, and Olivia and Yanela did a wonderful job caring for us.
The beach was beautiful. White sand, waves crashing (on a windy day) and lots of creatures to tickle your fancy! We saw many fish while snorkelling, and crabs and lizards walking about.
We are already planning our trip back. We loved everything (minus the turbulent plane ride).
So thank you for making us have an amazing holiday!

• Stayed: April 2014
5  Thank Courkly

Dear Courkly,
What an amazing review! I am so glad to know you have encountered in our hotel everything you needed for a perfect vacation and your expectations have been surpassed. It has been great reading all your positive remarks, it is wonderful to know all my team worked together to make your Meliá experience a success. It was a pleasure serving you as so it would be every time you come back to stay in our hotel. Please, let us know your booking details and preferences, we would be just too happy to look after another great time in Meliá Cayo Coco.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

My boyfriend and I booked this vacation last minute and boy were we impressed. We are a young couple and this resort does have many young people. Thankfully we were on vacation to enjoy each other's company and relax after a few stressful months.

This resort is spoteless! There is always someone cleaning wherever you are making sure the resort looks its best. It is an older resort but they make up for it by how well it is maintained. The gardeners are wonderful and like to give the ladies little présents made from the plants or leaves from the trees. The maid did such a wonderful job keeping our room tiddy and leaving little sheet animals on our bed. Bar fridge was always full and if we needed more they gladly brought it to us.

The pool is nice as well as the océan. We spent equal amount of time at both. One down side is that many of the folks staying at the resort (the old ones) réserve chairs really early in the morning. Waking up at 9am, theres already barely any spots left to sit down by the pool or the océan despite there being no actually sitting on the chairs. We were annoyed by this and tempted to just remove people's towels from the chairs so that my boyfriend could sit in the stade.

Another small downside is that there is no pool bar. Maybe a 'young person' thing but it does make it easier for people to get drinks without having to walk into the lobby or to the snack bar. It didnt ruin our trip by any means but it is something we would have enjoyed.

By far, our favorite part of the trip was the animation staff. They are so wonderful and funny. We played pool volleyball every afternoon and always had a great time with other guests and the staff. They genuinely seem to care about you and ask how you are and want to get to know you. Loved it.

I'm not a picky dater and was therefore able to eat quite well throughout the week. We visited the italian restaurant and the cuban and were very satisfied by both. The international was full all week and we were sad to have missed it. Menu looked great. The buffet had a lot of vareity to please everyone and if you come in with an open mind you'll have no problem eating a lot of good food!

We both agreed early into the vacation that we would both return to this resort. Opt for the lagoon room, sooooo worth it!!!!! The view is awesome and the breeze feels wonderful late in the afternoon while sitting on your patio.

Room Tip: Lagoon Rooms
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank RunningMachine

Dear Running Machine,
I am so glad to know you were very much impressed with our facilities and services. Thank you very much for your wonderful review and all your compliments. I have had the pleasure of sharing all your remarks with my team who constantly strive on provide you with great memories during your time with us. Aren't they lovely our lagoon rooms! Thank you for your remarks on the upgrade. We are very much looking forward to seeing you both again. Please, email us with your booking details and preferences for us to look after another beautiful vacation in Meliá Cayo Coco.

Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this lovely hotel on the 6th of October 2011for two wks and I must say it was fab all the staff were very friendly and could not do enough for us the disco was brilliant so nice and cool .the shows were also fantastic the entertainment staff put on really good shows are room was spotless and the food you could not fault at all . Unfortanally we have not been able to get back the last few years with getting married and family commits but we are just in the middle of booking for next September for 14 nights and can't wait and hope we get the same treatment from the fab staff as we did on are first visit peppa was brill with the coconuts he always made sure I got one even if I was away from my lounger for a short time also joe the pool waiter and William the sports guy who had my poor hubby playing volley ball in the water pool we had such a laugh and are really looking forward to seeing them all even the reception staff and bar staff can't wait to come back defo recommend this hotel to anybody who wants a adult only hotel .

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Jones C

Dear Jones C,
Thank you so much for posting your comments on your October stay in our hotel and announcing your return in September. Thank you for such wonderful comments and praises. We would be very glad to provide you with the best of our services for your second time with us so please, get in touch with us for any preference or request we may meet. We would be just too happy to assist.
Looking forward to seeing you again in September,

Reviewed May 6, 2014

17 April to 1 May 2014 was our second holiday at Melia Cayo Coco, and what a superb holiday we had. We had such a wonderful holiday last time in October 2012 that we wanted to return and this last holiday was even better than we remembered. We have been to many resorts and Islands in the Caribbean in the past 20 years including some of the premium resorts and I can honestly say we have never had a better holiday than we had at Melia Cayo Coco. The whole atmosphere is relaxed and friendly which can only be down to the excellent service and exceptional staff, a special mention for Aranelis, Hector, Abel and Tony buffet restaurant, Yeni lobby bar, Yamil beach bar, and Rafael activies area. These are just some of the exceptional staff that looked after us and helped to make our holiday very special, but really all the staff are excellent.
We also loved the evening entertainment in the lobby bar, just one suggestion for the entertainment management.... we spent one afternoon at Melia Cayo Guillermo and there was a traditional rock band playing called Citadel, perhaps they could make an occasional appearance at Melia Cayo Coco, as we thought they were excellent and would add a little more variety.
Thank you Melia Cayo Coco and staff for giving us such a wonderful holiday....hasta luego !!!

Room Tip: This time we had a lagoon superior room which had loungers on the balcony and is nice to watch the l...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
4  Thank TerryH
MeliaCay0C0c0, General Manager at Melia Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2014

Dear TerryH,
WOW! The best experience ever! I am so glad to read that, and so proud of my team and the wonderful job they do. Thank you so much for such generous comments, which have already been shared with the staff especially with the ones you have been so kind to mention by their names. We have noted your suggestion on the rock band from Meliá Cayo Guillermo, thank you for commenting on it. All our customers' suggestions are always appreciated.
We do look forward in the hope of seeing you again in the future so please, let us know what your requests are for us to look after them without hesitation.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

This was our first visit to the Melia Cayo Coco and it was the best resort I have been to in Cuba. The staff was fantastic and all of our expectations were met or exceeded. We stayed in a Lagoon room which was well worth the upgrade. The food was great and all the al la carte restaurants were very good. The entertainment staff were great and I would recommend this resort for those who just want to relax and for those that like to be active there is lots to do.

The Beckman's

Room Tip: Lagoon rooms are worth the upgrade
2  Thank DaisyDuke465

Dear DaisyDuke465,
We are so glad to read that your first time with us has been such an enjoyable experience and you have encountered our hotel to be the best you have ever stayed in. Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review, which we have been glad to share with our team. It is so encouraging getting the feedback from the way they serve you and we take proud on them all. Thank you in advance for your upcoming visits with us and for recommending us on this site; you can rest assure that we will be striving on providing you with very enjoyable holiday experiences.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

We are back home in Nova Scotia after a wonderful stay at Melia Cayo Coco from April 12 to April 19. We spent much time researching out trip south and found an amazing number of good reviews for this resort. So, we had to go and find out for ourselves. We have visited many resorts in the Caribbean and now my wife and I agree, overall, Melia Cayo Coco is the best experience we have ever had. More than one factor makes that decision easy to make.
- A fast response from the sales manager to my email with requests for a specific building.
- The short trip from the airport to the resort.
- A very short wait to get checked in.
- Our room was ready to occupy.
- Room 8521 was just what we wanted; we could not have been given a better located room. We are beach people and wanted a corner room on the second floor in a building closest ot the beach. You cannot imagine how satisfying it is to have your requests met. I'll include a photo of our location.
- A smaller resort, like Melia Cayo Coco makes it easier to meet guests who become new friends; we made many.
- A smaller resort makes it easier to meet the staff and we have made friendships with many excellent staff members. In fact I had tears in my eyes as we said goodbye to our favourite beach grill waiter; it was he who, earlier in the week, seeing my wife's foot bleeding, immediately found bandages for us. So many staff members went out of their way to accomodate us. For example, we arrived at the buffet at 5 to 10 assuming it was open to 11; no one told us to leave. A table was even set for us but we ate quickly and on our way as quick.
- We are beach people and the resort beach is one of the best we have experienced. The walk to the left is more complicated but to the right you seem to be able to walk forever. The sand is comfortable, not crushed coral or mushy sand and a strong undertow is rare.
- The food; probably the best we have had in the Caribbean. I could rave about the food for paragraphs and may relate more in a separate review. Be it authentic Cuban BBQ at the beach or a deconstructed apple pie at the lagoon's international menu restaurant the staff make every effort to please diners.
- The service; probably the best we have had in the Caribbean.
- The weather; for our week, not too hot, not too cold, not too windy, not too humid.
- The water was amazing, warm, calm and clear most of our stay.
- Enough crafts nearby at the bird shaped multi story shopping center to keep anyone happy.
- Local transportation available to take you anywhere you want to visit; be it tourist bus, 50's Detroit iron taxi or a romantic horse drawn caleche.
- We were happy with the contents of our fridge. If you don't overdo it, bottles of rum or champagne will be provided.
- We were happy with the prompt and efficient response to our various requests.
-The price for our package (air and accommodation) was reasonable
- We took the tour bus to Playa Pilar. The beach, named for Hemingway's fishing boat, is impressive but so is the chance to look at some of the resorts you stop at on your way to and from the beach. We stopped at Melia Cayo Guillermo to tour the resort as well as have lunch. The beach grill there is a totally different experience than the one at Cayo Coco.
- We read the Cayo Guillermo resort has been renovated in the summer of 2011. We assume renovations will soon be taking place at Melia's Cayo Coco resort. Concrete walkways near the beach require care when walking and grass in some areas, like around our building was brown.
- Our room may be showing it's age but when you have such a wonderful week as we had such things are trivial.
- We originally thought; "Can this place be this good?" After a wonderful, memorable, week, we can say, "Yes."

Room Tip: Building 85 is one of the closest to the beach. Check out resort plans before you travel, examine th...
4  Thank ixlr8
MeliaCay0C0c0, General Manager at Melia Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2014

Dear ixlr8,
I am so glad to read we have provided you with a memorable vacation. The best experience you have ever had in the Caribbean says a lot about your stay with us, and we are truly thankful because you have shared such wonderful comments with all the readers of this site. Thank you very much for all your compliments on our facilities and services. Please, email Violeta again with your requests, we would be very glad to look after all your needs during your second time in Meliá Cayo Coco to make sure you have another fantastic experience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Coco
#3 of 12 in Cayo Coco
TRYP Cayo Coco
TRYP Cayo Coco
#7 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to Melia Cayo Coco? Share your experiences!