“average weather great resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Melia Cayo Coco

Melia Cayo Coco
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Midland, Canada
“average weather great resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

We stayed at the melia cayo coco Jan.18-25. The weather was windy and cooler than we would have liked but we could not have asked for more from our resort. Here is a quick breakdown;

food- The best food we have had at a resort. The Italian, a la carte, was outstanding, and the international, was very good. We did not go to the Cuban a la carte. The buffet offered plenty of choices and the meat and fish were cooked fresh in front of us. Breakfast , lunch and dinner were all above average and the service was top notch as well. We ate at the snack bar and beach only once each but only because we enjoyed the buffet more.

bars- The drinks were well made and we had plenty of choices. We had to wait at the poolside bar sometimes but not long and we did not have to wait anywhere else.

the resort- It is well sized. Not too small but not too big. I would use the word quaint but do not want you to think of it as small but rather not big and overwhelming.

the rooms- We stayed in a standard room (8823) and if we return, we would stay in a standard room again. The superior rooms have the same layout but they give you a better view of the sunset or sunrise. You also get other perks in the superior rooms. I just prefered our locations and we often sat at the billars bar to enjoy the sun sets.

staff- They were good. We have no complaints about the staff and like every resort we go to there are always one or two staff members that make your stay that much better. Ramone at the Italian restaurant was fantastic. He made us feel so comfortable, not rushed, we could just sit back and enjoy the experience.

beach- it is very narrow. It made laying out at the beach difficult during high tide and windy days. We walked to the left about 15 min. and came across a small cove. People were snorkling and wading in the water. It was quite enjoyable to see.

10 Thank L_and_K_Ontario
MeliaCay0C0c0, General Manager at Melia Cayo Coco, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear Customer,
We are so glad to read that your first time with us has been such an enjoyable experience. Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review, which we have been glad to share with our team. It is great to see the way they serve you and we take proud on them all. Thank you in advance for your upcoming visits with us, you can rest assure that we will be striving in providing you with very enjoyable holiday experiences. Please, send us your booking details for your next time and we will be very glad to look after a standard room of your preference.
Santiago Innerarity

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,433)
  • Polish first
Lethbridge, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

Second time at MCC since October. All the staff was amazing and were always so pleasant. The food was great, Hats off to Jose Raoul, there are lots of options available. At the pool bar YARIMA was fantastic, Joel was great. Livan was the most pleasant waiter you could ever ask for cheers Livan! The shows were also a great attraction, always entertaining. The staff is definitely what makes this so special. They will go out of their way to make it a special vacation for you.
We are definitely going back again.

Room Tip: I would recommend the lagoon. We have stayed inside and in the lagoon.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank BarryFerRouge
MeliaCay0C0c0, General Manager at Melia Cayo Coco, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Loyal Customer,
Thank you so much for all your comments on your recent stay in our hotel. We will certainly share your remarks with the staff; especially with those you mention on your review. Your comments encourage us to keep working on the same direction which will certainly make our hotel even better for all of you. We are already looking forward to welcome you back in the near future so please, drop us a note with your requests, as we will be delighted in looking after them to make sure you have another wonderful holiday in Meliá Cayo Coco!
bramptoN ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

Melia cayo coco and it's staff have once again convinced us to return for March 2014. We first visited in 2012 then in 2013 and now for March 2014.

This will be our third stay and are really looking forward to seeing friendly familiar faces and quiet time on the beach.

I can not say anything negative about melia cayo coco resort.

Every staff staff member definitely goes out of their way to please it's guests.

Thanks Melia and see you soon.
J.startup

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank jonny34
Dear Loyal Customer,
Thank you very much for posting your experience on this site. We will certainly share your remarks with the staff, your comments make us feel very proud of the way they perform for you all and have acknowledged them all for such a positive attitude. We are already looking forward to welcome you back in the near future so please, drop us a note with your requests, as we will be delighted in looking after them.
Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

Although I've been to Cuba before, this was my first visit to the Melia Cayo Coco. I travelled with my two sisters to celebrate my birthday. We had an excellent time, despite the cool temperatures and rain. The hotel set our room up with 3 separate beds, which was a nice surprise for us. The room was clean, well stocked with a bottle of rum upon arrival and daily additions of water and beer. Lots of towels were supplied, as well as 3 beach towels. There were no face cloths so if you need them, bring your own. The housekeeping staff kept the room clean and amused us daily with their bed designs made from towels, blankets and bedspreads.
There is one large pool, which is also clean. Most of the loungers were in excellent condition, but there were a few that need replacing. There is a pool hut to exchange your towels whenever you wish. There are also some books there, but I'd recommend you bring your own.
The cry of "Co-co-nuts" daily signalled a pool-side show of staff slicing the top off coconuts and mixing a drink right in the shell. Those drinks are excellent. Other than that, pool-side service was sporadic. Having said that, there are a couple of bars to grab a drink to either put in your Bubba cup or bring to your lounger in a plastic cup. I recommend the Banana Mama, which was delicious.
The food was quite good for an all-inclusive overall. We ate at the buffet, which provided many options and was enjoyable. The breakfasts included scrambled eggs or they would cook your eggs any way you desire, even omelets. There was fruit, cold meats, cereals, cheeses, bacon, ham and sometimes potato patties, just to mention some options. The lunch and dinner options were equally as varied, including roasts, seafood, pasta bar, stir fry bar, salad bar, lots of desserts and nice Spanish wines were available with variations daily. Cappuccinos were available throughout the resort, but we found it was best at the pool snack bar. Order a shot of Bailey's on the side and add it yourself! We ate at the Italian restaurant one night and, apparently, ordered the wrong thing. Two of us had the chicken cordon bleu, but it was swimming in a watery cheese sauce and not very good. My other sister is celiac so she brought her own pasta and the staff was very accommodating in cooking it for her. We learned later that the lasagna or the steak Sambuca are the items to order. We also enjoyed the salad bar at the Cuban restaurant for lunch one day, but did not like the quesadillas because they had too much corn and the cheese was not melted. We should have gotten the bbq option. There was a very entertaining band playing that encouraged diners to sing, dance and play instruments with them. Very enjoyable.
We did not make it to the International restaurant. It is worth noting that you should go to the pool snack bar as soon as you arrive to make reservations at the restaurant. You may only go to the Italian, Cuban and International for dinner once per week and space is limited. (If I am wrong about this, someone at the hotel could correct me)
Overall the staff was unbelievably amazing, however, the desk staff could polish their manners a wee bit. Why does the rate in the internet café change? Sometime $2.50 for half an hour and sometimes $3.00.
The entertainment was well done, staff worked hard to put on good and varied shows. Lots of singing and dancing. Something was happening every day. There were free manicures and pedicures by the pool at least once a week. Bingo, dancing lessons, pool volleyball, archery and shooting to name a few. The bikes are very outdated and need to be replaced.
There are a number of shops on the premises selling crafts, tee shirts, cigars and alcohol to name a few. There is also a market within walking distance selling the same types of items. I found the quality of items at the hotel better. I purchased a tee shirt from the market and then found holes in it when I got home so look over your goods carefully. The tee shirts at the hotel are very good quality. There are quite a few outside trips available from the hotel. We walked to the Tryp and the Iberostar for a change of scenery. However, those hotels allow children so if you are looking for a break from them, the Melia is for you.
I will definitely return to this hotel. It is very close to the airport so it is also convenient.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
8 Thank MacLeanOntario
Dear Customer,
We are so glad to read that your first time with us has been such an enjoyable experience. Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review, which we have been glad to share with our team. It is very encouraging getting the feedback from the way they serve you and we take proud on them all. Yes, you are right with the information provided on a la carte bookings: customers are entitled to eat at each a la carte once per week of stay. Thank you for so many details on our facilities and services. We have revised the observation on prices for our Internet service and the only explanation we have found to it is a mistake which has to be made at the front desk. Internet café (wired internet service) offers 2 choices: 3 CUC for ½ hour and 6 CUC for 1 hour. Wi-Fi services has an offer of 4.50 CUC per hour, but the company which provides that service had an offer of 2.50 CUC- 1 hour which should have caused the misunderstanding. So, I am very glad to clarify for every reader that prices for both wired and wireless internet are as stated before: Wired Internet - 3 CUC for ½ hour and 6 CUC for 1 hour, Wi-Fi- 4.50 CUC per hour.Thank you in advance for your upcoming visits with us and for recommending us on this site; you can rest assure that we will be striving in providing you with very enjoyable holiday experiences.
Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

Back from our 6th trip to this fantastic hotel our first time for New Year, and already planning trips 7 and 8!!
As soon as we arrived we were greeted as long lost friends by Niurka even though she wasn't aware we were visiting.
The Lagoon room was fantastic clean airy and well appointed, and the mini bar was always fully stocked.
There are no words that can properly explain the efforts all the staff make to ensure you have a great time. They never stop and are always smiling
The example is set by the General manager Santiago, who's attention to detail, especially during the New Years Gala dinner, was astonishing. He missed nothing.
Leandro in the lobby was a great waiter, Joes, Livan and Yamil bartenders extrodinaire, Vivian always welcoming on the outside buffet restaurant, and then there's the animation team!
Pepe never stops, Ismary, Emilaidy and Janieses are a credit to the hotel and special mention to Mavis. Every day she was offering beauty and nail treatments, but expects no payment.
The gala dinner was breathtaking in its variety, the show likewise.
Mention must be made of the dancers. A different show every night always a joy to watch.
The highlight though for my wife and I, was the band that played at our Melia wedding 5 years ago, remembering and playing our favourite song.

That lovely touch alone made the holiday perfect.

See you all soon!

Kev and Jane.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jane C
Dear Loyal Customer,
Thank you so much for your very kind words about the service my team provides. I know they are what make us strong and I am very proud of the work they all do to provide all our customers with unforgettable experiences. Thank you in advance for your upcoming visits with us, you can rest assure that we will be striving in providing you with very enjoyable holiday experiences. And do email us your preferences for your 2014 visit, we will certainly look after them to make sure you have another wonderful stay in your Home away from Home!
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

This was our 4th time at the MCC, and again it was another fantastic stay. My brother & sister-in-law joined us on this trip. It was their 1st time to Cuba and it was nice to revisit the hotel & country through their eyes, it really made us fall back in love with this place.

The staff again was amazing, remembering us and including my brother & his wife with their affection. We met previous guests during the Managers lunch, it’s great to know that once people discover this resort they return again & again. It would have been nice however to meet Mr. Innerarity, but we did have a nice chat with the Customer Service team.

The food as always was superb, we ate at all the a la cartes, the Italian restaurant has improved significantly.

We’ve seen some improvements during our stay and it’s nice to know that they are constantly making upgrades to the hotel. I am disappointed however that the lovely waterfall has been removed from the lobby.

The new construction next door does distract from the beauty of the vistas. I am concerned about how busy the beach will become once this resort is completed in 2015. We also noticed the 2 new hotels that are being constructed near Pillar beach, I guess most travellers have now discovered the gem of Cayo Coco, I guess progress can’t be stopped.

This trip was not a beach vacation for us, we spent most days out doing excursions. Our trip wouldn’t have been complete without a visit to “Lenny’s” at Playa Prohibita, I’m just sorry I didn’t bring enough CUC’s to buy a CD.

I feel secure in the knowledge that when I recommend this hotel to family and friends I’m confident that all their expectations will be met.

We plan to return again in April and spend a lot more time on the beach.

5 Thank thirstytraveller94
Dear Loyal Customer,
I am so happy to read we have again provided you with an amazing holiday vacation. It was a pleasure for my team pampering your relatives, and so it would be everyone recommended by you. I am so sorry for not having the pleasure of meeting you, but are already looking forward to doing it next time. Thank you for all your compliments on our facilities and services, which I have already shared with my staff. We are very much looking forward to seeing you again in April, with best regards,
Darwen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

Had 2 weeks in January this year for our Honeymoon. We were upgraded to a junior suite in the lagoon.....beautiful!!
Food; Excellent, some freshly cooked while you wait, others buffet style. Highly recommend the International and Italian Restaurants!!
Staff; Lovely, helpful and did an outstanding job with our room and keeping the hotel clean and inviting.
Drinks; Wondeful and plentiful
Trips; Highly recommend Now Cuba; good value for money
Location; next to a beautiful beach and near a good market. Not much int he way of things to do outside the hotel so relaxing is a must
Entertainment; Fantastic; the water show at night is a must see
Rooms; You get water, beer and soft drinks daily in your fridge. Rooms lovely and spacious and you get a safe for free.
Overall; We met plenty of friends while we were there who thoroughly loved this hotel!!!

4 Thank flossie1979
MeliaCay0C0c0, General Manager at Melia Cayo Coco, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Customer,
We are so glad to read you have enjoyed a wonderful honeymoon in our resort. Thank you very much for your fantastic review, which I have already had the pleasure to share with my team. I agree with you, our water ballet is one of the most popular among the 14 different shows we offer. Please, choose us again and email us your booking details for us to look after another excellent holiday in Meliá Cayo Coco.

Warm regards,

Melia Cayo Guillermo
Melia Cayo Guillermo
#3 of 6 in Cayo Guillermo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,176 reviews

Been to Melia Cayo Coco? Share your experiences!