“Amazing Holiday”

Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Amazing Holiday”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We visited this hotel for 2 weeks from the 15th November (taken a while to get round to writing this ). I read the reviews for this hotel before we booked and wasn't disappointed. The room we were allocated did need some modernising to be honest we accepted it and it didnt spoil our holiday. The food was amazing, I am a shocking with food but that wasn't a problem here,we could have food cooked to order just how we wanted it. The staff are so lovely and cant do enough for you, Yamilet and Kette Laydy in the dining room really went that extra mile for us and made us feel special every time we visited. We are very much beach people and loved the soft sand and turquoise sea, we did however feel very much at home by the pool with no problems getting sunbeds. All in all we had a fab time and are just planning a return for 2014.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Susan B
MeliaCay0C0c0, General Manager at Melia Cayo Coco, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Happy New Year!
Thank you so much for reviewing your recent stay in Meliá Cayo Coco. We are very glad to read it has been an enjoyable experience and do look forward to welcoming you again this year. With regards to your comment on rooms needing updating, please, accept my apologies. As we have previously stated here, renovations are constantly ongoing in our hotel, we have already finished with our water bungalows to start with our standard accommodation as scheduled during this year 2014. We will certainly share your remarks with the staff, specially Yamilet and Kety Leidy, your comments make us feel very proud of the way they perform for you all and have acknowledged them for such a positive attitude. Please, send us your booking details and preferences for your next stay, we will be very glad to look after your second time with us.With warmest regards,
Santiago Innerarity

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,497)
  • Polish first
Reviewed January 3, 2014

15 minutes from the airport, white sandy beach and amazing staff. We stayed in the Superior Lagoon room, which had a lovely view. I don't think there's any ocean view rooms at this resort. The event staff was amazing. Organizing dance lessons by the pool, or ball hockey games or pool volleyball. Alex, especially, was always making sure you were having a good time. The service at the pool bar was the best with orlando and (his name started with an L but I can't remember now sorry) were the best bartenders. All of the staff were wonderful to. The food at the pool bar was awesome with pizza, burgers and sandwiches. I recommend upgrading your room like we did because you get the better breakfast place. The standard breakfast buffet was very disappointing with the eggs being underdone and never any bacon to name a few but since we had the upgraded room we could go to the sit-down restaurant and get eggs, any way you like them, and these amazing hashbrowns that were actually croquettes! The beach was nice but not much width especially in the morning at high tide. Sometimes it was a struggle to find chairs by the pool so get there early. The a la carts were delicious it was hard to pic a favourite. The lunch and dinner buffet were good once you found the stir-fry and grilled meat stations. I never know why Cuba doesn't offer more cuban spiced food to travellers tho. The best was the drinks in the coconuts with rum that would be brought by the pool around noon by a man with an icebox cart. If they ran out they would climb the tree to get more!

Just a note to the hotel, throw out all of the pillow cases with stains on them. The hotel was very clean and the maids wonderful but one or two of the pillows had dried stains on them. I didn't complain because they looked washed but it was still gross nonetheless to see old stains on nice white linen. Also, the disco is called the music bar and was only open to 2:30 not a party resort but we had more than a blast. There was construction going on down the way so the morning on the patio was not quiet at all but that's out of the resorts hands. Lastly, the bed is HARD as a ROCK! I think that would be the only thing to deter me from staying again because everything else was so good. I'm a side sleeper so I would wake up sore and achey. I didn't think to ask for a comforter to place underneath but i'm sure they would have provided it. When I say hard I'm not meaning firm I mean it is hard! Either way would stay again because the value and experience was wonderful.

Tip: bring bug spray (anywhere in Cuba)

Room Tip: Superior Lagoon View Room was excellent
9 Thank LoganJulia
MeliaCay0C0c0, General Manager at Melia Cayo Coco, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
Dear Customer,
We are so glad to know we have provided you with a wonderful holiday vacations. Thank you very much for all your remarks, which have been certainly shared with our team. I am glad to read you have encountered our VIP breakfast an important plus for those who upgrade since we have been very passionate at improving that special service every day. Livan is the name of the other person who served you at the Snack Bar, I have already passed your nice comments onto him and the others you make reference to in your review. Thank you for your observation on pillow cases, have already addressed the matter to the housekeeping head of department.
Looking forward to seeing you again in Meliá Cayo Coco,
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Well we came back from Melia Cayo Coco and found out the resort was beautiful !!! The resort has everything you can imagine , great food , staff was excellent and the atmosphere was wonderful...we have been to Cuba alot and this was the nicest resort of all so far !!! The main down fall to this resort was the beach , THERE IS NONE !!! If you have been to Varadaro then this beach will disappoint you !!!! It was about 8 feet wide with no where to walk without walking around people lying on chairs.... for this reason alone we will never go back....Also if you book the superior room please be advised that they over book alot and we had to stay in a standard room for 2 days... we were not the only ones to have to do this !!! Please talk to your travel agent about this before you book !!!! The resort also is not for younger people , the average age there must be 50 .... made for a very boring time at night. Also the entertainment is sub par at night ( boring) ..... the food was wonderful as l stated earlier ..... if you want a quiet resort with not much to do at night this resort is for you (couples).... if you want to party go somewhere else !!! i would rate this resort high but with a few short comings !!!!

Room Tip: Book the superior !!!!
6 Thank chuk22
Dear Customer,
Thank you very much for posting your review on this site. We are sorry for not being able to provide you with the accommodation you have previously booked through your travel agency. We have certainly made the arrangements to avoid overbooking on our superior rooms which is not an issue in our hotel because we truly care about this. We understand that when you pay the extra for a superior room is because you really what to stay there because there is a lot of money as supplement. Please, accept my apologies for this. We are sorry for not been up to your expectations regarding entertainment and night life. Although we have a very varied entertaining program, this is a relaxing hotel. We are still making improvements on the program to please all our customers and do hope you get to experience them in the future when decide to stay with us again.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We returned to Melia Cayo Coco again and again.
We love the quiet beach and fabulous service.
We tried the Thi Chi class and decided to join one at home.
I gained 4 pounds and my husband 3. Fernando cooks our fish for us exactly as we like it.
And the gentelman remembers how we like our smoothies for breakfast.
Viola at the custumor service made sure that we had the best room for my husband physical limitations.
Our only problem is deciding how soon we will return; February or April? May be both if we are lucky!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank dominique a
MeliaCay0C0c0, General Manager at Melia Cayo Coco, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Loyal Customer,
What a fantastic review! I have so much enjoyed reading all your comments on your recent stay in our hotel. Thank you very much for reviewing your positive experiences on this site. Thank you for your praises on our staff, we will make sure to share your remarks with all of them. You are right Fernando is an excellent chef and we feel proud of having him in our team. The Tai Chi lessons are becoming very popular among our clientele and we are happy to know that you have so much enjoyed them. We will be looking forward to your visits in February and April, make sure to email Violeta each time you book and she will make sure you are accommodated as per your husband´s needs.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 1, 2014

This resort is the best, we were here on our honeymoon and received the best service! We absolutely loved the Melia. The food is amazing, lunch at the grilled restaurant is the best, with amazing ribs and shrimp, and much more! For dinner, the buffet is very good, we enjoyed the lamb, rabbit, beef, and the soup the most. The three al a carte restaurants were also great, our favourite is the italian one. For breakfast, at the buffet, there was a large variety of juices and drinks, along with great omelettes, all kinds of yogurts, and more! Fruit was available all day, and since we were here during Christmas, the papaya and pineapple was great. In terms of activities, there are dancing lessons and aquatic aerobics everyday. You can get a manicure or pedicure from Tuesday to Friday in the afternoon too. Every evening, there is a show by the entertainment crew that usually featured great dancing. These Cuban people can really move and shake! The room service was great as well, cleaning up nicely everyday. Beverages are great! You should try the virgin banana mama in the lobby bar, no matter if you like alcohol or not.

10 Thank Scarlett K
MeliaCay0C0c0, General Manager at Melia Cayo Coco, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Happy New Year from Meliá Cayo Coco my dear Customers!
I am so pleased to read your honeymoon with us has been a wonderful experience! Thank you very much for sharing all your remarks on this site. I have already complimented my team for their great performance for you all, thank you very much for providing those wonderful details. We truly hope to see you again in the near future so please, let us know when you have booked for us to look after your requests with pleasure.
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

Having just returned from Cuba I'm already pining for this wonderful place. My partner and I came to the melia on Xmas eve as part of a trip around Cuba which is the most amazing place I have ever been, if you are wanting to experience true Cuba then this resort is not it. However, after the craziness of Havana and another couple of days in wonderful Trinidad I was ready to relax...this place excells at that!

We stayed in a lagoon room and the sunrises and sunsets each day were breathtaking, with a cold beer in my hand from the daily stocked free mini bar I couldn't have asked for more. Taidee our maid was great and left us little notes and made lots of animals from towels etc which I thought was a great touch. The staff here are fabulous and really seem to enjoy making your holiday the best. The night entertainment is fab and I particularly enjoyed the water ballet it was beautiful! Yamil down at the beach bar, all of the guys at the snack bar and the animation team are excellent and so much fun! Special thanks to the small long haired brunette from the animation team who wore a red scrunchie in her hair, I think she is called thulisaa? She was so friendly and fun and she helped my then girlfriend get some flowers and things to propose to me on our final night, so thank you so much... and I said yes!

This resort has everything you could wish for and if you're looking for a get away from it all ambience. I would come back again definitely, thanks to all concerned. I'm only sorry we never got to say goodbye as our flight was changed last minute and we had to get straight on a bus. Thank you all so much and Feliz a neuvo!!!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank EmmaBlair83
Happy New Year from Meliá Cayo Coco!
I have so much enjoyed reading all your comments on your recent stay in our hotel. Thank you very much for posting your experience on this site, we are very glad to know it has been a success. We will certainly share your remarks with the staff, your comments make us feel very proud of the way they perform for you all and have acknowledged them all for such a positive attitude. We are already looking forward to welcome you back in the near future so please, drop us a note with your requests when you are booked to come back to your little slice of paradise, we will be delighted in looking after them.
Bobcaygeon, Canada
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Stayed here with my wife for my 60th birthday. This is our 6th trip to Cuba mostly at 5 star hotels. Melia is a nice, fairly small resort - no need for golf carts to get around. The beach is narrow but well maintained. Windy for most of the week so mosquitos were not a problem. Cuba day at the beach is a blast - get their early for a good seat for the entertainment.Food was excellent - especially the International for dinner and breakfast. The room was in need of some sprucing up - it is time for refurbishing. we noticed some rooms were in the process of being updated. The bars and restaurants offered good service and the staff were friendly and helpful.
My wife was not impressed with the overall cleanliness of the washrooms around the pool and lobby bar. More attention needs to be paid to regular maintenance. Overall, compared to Sandals Varadero, Paradisus Varadero, Royal Ensenachos Santa Maria and Pesquera in Holguin, Melia Cayo Coco needs to improve to warrant a 5 star rating. It is still a good place to vacation - the lagoon rooms with beautiful sunrises and sunsets are a special experience.

the little craft market

Also - this is NOT the fault of the hotel but there is a scam going on in Moron where locals pretending to work at the resorts befriend tourists and try to get money from them. They scammers identify the tourists by their wristbands( or lack thereof) - "Ah you are from Melia - I met you two days ago - I worked in the pool bar my name is ______" The scammer claims to be on his days off because his wife has just had a baby. We were taken in by this very likable and believable guy. We had met so many bartenders and waiters it seemed logical that he had served us. He knew the layout of the hotel and exactly where the bars were and told us to come see him tomorrow when he was back at work. We gave him some small gifts for his wife and baby. We bought him a coffee and he steered us to a local gift shop where he then he asked for
some money for a present for his wife. Alarm bells were befinning to go off in my head but I parted with a few convertible Pesos. Needless to say he never showed up for work and caused a lot of stress for the employees of Melia. Two other Canadians were approached with the same scam 2 days later. The Melia staff were excellent in trying to sort out the imposter and they were very concerned about this affecting our impression of Cayo Coco

3 Thank Gord B
Happy New Year from Meliá Cayo Coco!
Thank you very much for posting your comments on your recent stay in our hotel. Thank you for your observations which have already been addressed. There is no reason for the lack of cleanliness in our public bathrooms so please, accept my apologies for failing on this. Yes, as we have stated on this site, our standard accommodation will be refurbished during 2014 and 2015 so we will be improving our garden view section by then. Regarding your comment on the issue you faced in Moron, we have already addressed it to the authorities in charge to look after the matter. I am truly sorry because you were affected by this incident which also affected your general impression on Cuba.
With best regards,
Memories Flamenco Beach Resort
Sol Cayo Coco
Sol Cayo Coco
#3 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to Melia Cayo Coco? Share your experiences!