“Returning Soon”
Review of Melia Cayo Coco

Melia Cayo Coco
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stayed at the Melia Cayo Coco back in July 2011 with my Girlfriend, we had a great stay and met some really nice people whilst we were there (including some members of staff!)

Food: The food at the hotel was excellent, and far better than I have had at some other all inclusive resorts. There is the facility to have your choice of food cooked to your preference on a grill within the main buffet which is a nice touch. The various restaurants around the hotel kept the choice of food interesting throughout our stay.

Service: The service throughout the hotel was excellent with some of the friendliest staff I have ever met. From the gardeners to the lobby bar staff everyone was always happy to help however possible.

Rooms: Our room was a standard room located away from the pool (which was nice and quiet), the bathroom and room its self was a little dated, but kept nice and clean and was all in good order. Nothing broken etc.

Facilities: The hotel has great facilities including a diving school, again with very helpful and friendly staff.

We will be returning this year and cannot wait! We are also bringing some friends along!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Speedingorange
MeliaCay0C0c0, General Manager at Melia Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

Dear Loyal Customers,
Thank you so much for your lovely review. We are quite glad to know you had a very enjoyable time with us and will be back this year. Please, send us your preferences to the hotel contact email for us to look after everything as you deserve.
Looking forward to meeitng you,
Santiago Innerarity

Write a ReviewReviews (6,350)

Reviewed May 20, 2013

I've left it a bit late to put my review up. My friends have already done theirs a few weeks back. But here we go.

We travelled as a group of 5 at the End of March, for 2 weeks with Thomas Cook. The flight out was pleasant enough. No delays or hiccups with the plane being comfortable. Only downside was that the inflight VHS (why..it's 2013 !) system kept ruining the showing of 'Skyfall'. To put this in perspective....if you fly on Emirates you get a choice of over 1,000 channels. All of which work flawlessly !

Coming into Cuba, the airport was amazingly quick. We were off the plane and on the coach within around 20 minutes.

When we arrived at the hotel we were well received and service was also good. When I got to my room I found that my safe was broken. This was put right the following morning after a call to reception.

The lagoon does smell quite a lot of the time. I'm glad I avoided one of those rooms. The rooms are dated, but were pretty clean and seemed well maintained. I have stayed at the Melia in Rio De Oro about 10 years ago and the rooms here were exactly the same. Be careful of leaking air con units. All 3 of our rooms suffered from wet floors because of this. I went flying one morning after it dropped a massive puddle on my floor.

The best part of this resort would have to be the beach & staff. The beach is beautiful and service was normally good. The odd slow moment and one really rude waiter in the Italian. But for most of the time I was happy with how I was served. The entertainment of an evening is definitely aimed at a more gentile crowd. If you are looking for a crazy holiday, then you need to look elsewhere.

Overall the quality of food was good. The Caribbean restaurant of a night was my favourite. Managed to sneak in there 3 times. Tried the international which was good. The Italian...everything was just too cheesy & the buffet was ok.

The mistake we made was taking the hotel up on their offer of a free trip to Havana. Whilst it was nice to go and see, the operator they used to run the excursion is well below the standard you would expect. It's a 9 hour+ drive each way (we were told 7 maximum), the food at the rest stops was bad enough to make all 5 of us ill for weeks after the holiday & the hotel in Havana looks nice....but again the food was awful & staff were ignorant/rude/impolite. Overall it's something for me to talk about in years to come, but if I'd known it was going to be so bad I would not have gone.

I went Snorkelling on the Catamaran, which was a good day out. It was nice to see Pilar Beach again. You should go there, even if you take the bus (which takes forever). It really is an incredible beach. My friends also went on the speed boat trip & said it was really good fun.

Coming home was a nightmare. The pickup time was brough forward by 40 minutes, with no warning after we'd checked early that morning. Then the flight was delayed by 2 hours due to an aircraft change. Thomas Cook did not issue a new seating plan, which meant that the airport staff took forever to check everyone in at a tiny airport. The flight home was the worst I've ever had.

Overall....for what we paid to go on this holiday. I can't help but feel that there was somewhere nicer. It was good, but not what I'd hoped for. I didn't leave wanting to go back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Brumboy85

Dear Customers,
Thank you very much for your honest review. We truly regret failing on meeting your expectations on our facilities and services. Thank you for your observations, we will take proper action to make sure future customers are not affected by these issues. As we have previously stated here, we are currently refurbishing our accommodation and will be especially focused on this during this summer. I hope we can welcome you bak in the future giving us the opportunity of providing you with improved facilities and outstanding service.
Best regards,

Stayed 3rd-17th May..

Check-in smooth and Welcomed with Champagne and smiles..I had e-mailed Violeta before we travelled to request a room with a view she tried her best bless her but the view we got was of trees and nothing else, we were in a standard room upstairs, the rooms are clean but a little tired, bed huge and fridge replenished daily, when we spoke to violeta about our disappointment at the view she upgraded us to a stunningly Beautiful Lagoon Room (Thank you Violeta) which I highly recommend. In response to another comment....No problem for us with the smell of the Lagoon ..It wasn't too much of a problem.It is a Lagoon after all lol. or the mosquito's we asked customer services to spray the room for us and they obliged every evening promptly at 7.30pm.

The food did get a little bit monotonous at times but was always Beautifully presented and delicious, again as others have said..Not enough Bacon at Breakfast and at Lunch/Dinner the chips soon ran out and took a long time to replace. My only complaint and it's a personal thing..Tea or coffee isn't offered with Lunch or Dinner!

The pool area is lovely but again no chance of a bed in the shade if you don't get up by 6am, same with the beach, its narrow, clean but again no shade, simple solution to a major problem..in that heat people need shade lots of burnt red bodies!

The staff make the place what it is, Nothing is too much trouble and everyone works very hard to make you happy, staff are polite friendly and ready to greet you with a smile and a nice word no matter what time of day or night. Too many to mention but special Hola! to Vivian, Heidy and Laimy (sorry if I spelt it wrong)

I know some people had a few problems and I know a few things were taken from rooms, this can happen anywhere precautions and care need taking same as you would do at home.

Personally we wouldn't return as it was a little to far away from anything, no shopping and nothing much to see or do, again personal choice.

We did a couple of trips..Speedboats which was great fun and well worth it. VIP Catamaran which wasn't really worth the money, however it was a pleasant day and they make you very comfortable and try hard to ensure you have a good time.

Grounds and Gardens are very well kept, reception area is lovely and comfortable, and a pleasure to sit and watch the world go by.

Wildlife is great too, 2 lovely Woodpeckers live in a palm tree near the lagoon restaurant they are truly stunning.

Met some Lovely people and had a really lovely time.

Room Tip: Choose a Lagoon room well worth it

Dear Customers,
Thank you very much for posting your opinion on this site. We sincerely value our customers' opinions because they assist us in better serving our guests in the future. Thank you for making reference to specific issues which have already been addressed and looked after. We do hope we can accommodate you back in the future to enjoy an improved property with the level of service you deserve.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

We got a bungalow overlooking the lagoon (highly recommended). The service was good in gerneral, we had problems with the air conditioning, however they were dealt with promptly. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We felt absolutely safe all the the time. The food was good in gerneral, we recommend the buffet and the Italian restaurant. The evening entertainment was okay. The beaches are absolutely marvellous, the cocktails they serve at the beach fulfill their purpose.

Room Tip: Pick a bungalow overlooking the lagoon. It is really peaceful. The room really is wonderful as it h...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Customers,
Thank you very much for your review. We are very glad to know you had a wonderful beach vacation and do hope we can accommodate you back in the future. If you decide to honor us with your return, please, send us email with your requests for us to look after everything with pleasure.
Warmest regards,

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Me and my partner returned home from the Melia on the 10th May, this was our second holiday at the resort, the first time being several years previous and what improvements have been put in place since!!!!!
Many thanks to Violetta for the reservation.... the bungalow on the lagoon was incredible, beautifully furnished and the sunset was amazing!!!!
The food a the resort was of a really high standard with me being a really fussy eater and there were always something delicious especially the desserts...
The management are getting things right and must really work hard behind the scenes to keep this resort running so smoothly.
Well done to all the staff they work so hard and always have a smile for their guests, the attention to detail at the Melia are second to none from the gardners who keep the grounds immaculate to the beach staff who will ensure you get a sunbed what ever time of the day!!!
All in all we had a fantastic holiday so chilled out and full of relaxation if you are looking for a place to recharge those batteries this adults only resort this is the place for you!!!
Would we return back to this resort... without a shadow of a doubt.

Dear Loyal Customers,
"A return to Paradise" says a lot about your recent stay with us! Thank you very much for reviewing it, especially for all your compliments on our staff. We have already shared all your remarks with them who are very pleased with serving you. Thank you for announcing your return. Do email us again for us to look after everything with pleasure.
With warmest regards,

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Returned on Friday from our fifth time at the Melia, as always, we had a great time, we have had the same Lagoon room for the past 3 years, which we ask for when booking and the hotel management have never let us down. Big thank you to Aranellis, Ossie and others who looked after us so well in the buffet resturant, Katia our lovely chambermaid, Yanelis in the Lobby Bar always happy to have a chat and Maria the Thomas Cook Rep who is always willing to help, the Animation team work so hard, Cuban Day was fab, I can't sign off before giving a mention to all the hard working and so talented Gardeners, over the years we have had hats, baskets, birds, butterfly and fish made so beautifully given to us.

Thank you Melia - we will be back.

Room Tip: Lagoon rooms
1  Thank Suzane M
MeliaCay0C0c0, General Manager at Melia Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2013

Dear Loyal Customers,
We are so glad to know you had a fantastic time with us! Thank you very much for your comments, especially for mentionning some of our staff by names, they have already been acknowledged for your nice words and those of so many other customers who have also posted their compliments here. We know it is the staff what makes the difference on your stays, and we are truly thankful for the way they serve you all. As you always do, send us your booking details for your returning visit, we will be very glad to look after " Another perfect Holiday in Meliá Cayo Coco.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Stayed here for 2 weeks from 3rd May.A total of 130 from the plane stayed at this Hotel.It is only about 20 minutes from Airport.The check in was very efficient despite the queue of people waiting.You were given a glass of Cava on arrival and a hand towel to cool down with.Once at Reception all the staff spoke very good English and the room keys and information pack was sorted within minutes.Once you knew your room number tell the Bellboy and he delivers your luggage to your room.We were on the first floor.The rooms are quite basic,but you do have TV , fridge,hairdryer and a huge bed.There were 2 beers,2 soft drinks and a litre bottle of water in fridge.This was replenished on a daily basis
After wondering around resort to get bearings we decided to get ready for evening meal.We then found that the shower did not work satisfactorily,so we just had to have a good wash down instead.We reported faulty shower to Customer Service.Their desk is opposite the Reception desk.We were told to report back after Breakfast the next morning and a new room would be made available.This we did and Reception gave the Bellboy a list of rooms to show us.We were taken to the rooms on the cart.We finally decided to accept the third room that we were shown.The Bellboy took us back to our original room and waited for us to re-pack and then drove us to our new room.We were very pleased with the way this problem was sorted and the speed in which it was done.However when we went to get dressed the next morning we found that the air conditioning had leaked into the wardrobe and some of our clothes were quite wet and damp.Hence another visit to Customer Reception to report this problem.Again the solution was quick and efficient,but we put a towel on the shelf above the clothes just to make sure it did not leak again.
The food for Cuba was outstanding.The only problem was at Breakfast as other reviewers have pointed out there was never enough bacon.The steaks and fish were cooked as per your instructions and cooked at a food station while you waited.There was always something to eat even for the fussiest of eaters.From salads to pizzas,from pasta to stir fry.You could put on a stone in weight just by looking at the cakes and sweets.
The pool area is very pleasant and the beach is fantastic,but as other reviewers have stated there is not enough shade especially around the pool.As a result if you needed a sunbed with shade you had to be out and about by 6.00am to get one.If you left it until 7.00am it was too late.You do get the opportunity to see some wonderful sunrises.Every one is different.
There are 3 A la Carte Restaurants and all are very good but our favourite was the International Restaurant situated by the lagoon.
We wondered about having a lagoon room but glad we decided against it.It sounds pretty and romantic until you realise it is still water and you have a problem with mosquitos.In some places the water even smells.
The whole place is spotless.I don't know how they achieve this as there are very few waste bins about to put rubbish in especially on the beach.As usual you tend to get the lazy holidaymaker who is to idle to pick up his/her own rubbish and leaves it for someone else to clean up after them.
Long trousers are supposed to be worn in the A la Carte Restaurants.There is a sign on the desk where you have to make your reservations.Very few people seem to take notice of this as there were quite a few men wearing shorts.
The staff.Some of the most friendliest and warmest people I have ever met.I would just mention a few of them who seemed to go out of their way to make sure we had a good time.Marial our maid who kept our room spotless.Aranelis,Yeni,and Osvaldo in the main buffet restaurant,and Heckney at the beach bbq who was made up to Supervisor whilst we were there.
The Hotel does have rules and regulations but no one takes any notice ( reserving of sunbeds is supposedly not allowed,long trousers in A la Cartes and a few other things too numerous to mention)
The entertainment is very good.The staff work extremely hard so show your appreciation and go and watch a few shows.The Retro show in the lobby is brilliant.The best Freddie Mercury impersonation you will ever see.The jazz band also in the lobby is very good.
The sports enthusiast will be delighted with the facilities,tennis ,football,pool to mention a few.There is always something going on.
After saying all that I still feel the Hotel could do better.

Room Tip: Request a first floor room then you are not disturbed by people who love to move furniture late at n...
1  Thank frankChorleyLancs

Dear Customer,
Thank you very much for taking your time to post your praises and observations on your recent stay in our hotel. You make reference to some aspects we have referred to on previous replies, but we would like to provide you with some explanations on them. First, we have to apology for falling short of a room up to our standards. Although we are in the process of refurbishing our accommodation, proper working conditions of room equipment should be guaranteed and previously supervised. We are taking proper action on this to make improvements on this. Regarding lack of bacon, we are currently having inconsistent suppliers, but we are doing our very best to have it back to normal. As we have also stated before, we have implemented an internal procedure to collect all towels being placed to pre-reserve sun beds. We have also commenced with the works and have placed more palapas and parasols along the beach area. Our pool solarium will also count on more additions once we start with a project which will bring more shade and sun beds to it. Regarding your comment on mosquitoes on our lagoon rooms, I must say that this is a natural lagoon where mosquitoes would not survive. It is the vegetation what attracts them, but we spray as often as it is allowed to avoid such inconvenient matter.
Thank you for your compliments on our staff, especially the ones you have being kind enough to mention by name, your remarks have already been shared with them. We do hope we can welcome you back in the future. If choose us again, please, send us your booking details for us to look after nice accommodation and provide you with the services you deserve.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Coco
#3 of 12 in Cayo Coco
TRYP Cayo Coco
TRYP Cayo Coco
#7 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to Melia Cayo Coco? Share your experiences!