“Very Mixed Feelings”

Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Oshawa, Canada
“Very Mixed Feelings”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

My husband and I went with open minds about our expectations on our very first trip to Cuba and the Melia Cayo Cocco All Inclusive Resort. We stayed April 18th-25th. We chose this resort because it is small and adult only. However on day 3 of our stay we both started not to feel well. I started with a very upset stomach and then experienced diarrhea that continued for the entire week. My husband didn’t feel well either but didn’t experience the diarrhea. This is after we both had taken Dukoral prior to travelling to avoid getting sick. . I did speak with other guests from the resort at the airport they shared with me they have had the same experience also.
Since I continued not to feel well when I got home I went to see my Dr. and after having tests done and the results showed that I had gotten a parasite. My Dr. said this was not a normal occurrence and would require me to be on very strong antibiotics (9 pills daily) for 10 days

For this reason alone we will not be returning to Cuba or the Melia Cayo Cocco. This is really unfortunate because I would of returned otherwise. The resort really started to grow on us and having said that, no I don’t mean the parasite!

Good Points:

3 hour flight/15 mins. from airport
Check-in Quick (more on this later)
Golf cart you/luggage to your room
Lobby/Bathrooms/Restaurant (buffet) very clean
Beach when tide is out is beautiful
Pool area very pretty but not very much shade or a breeze
Pool activities throughout the day, i.e. Water volleyball
Activities also included art/craft classes’ poolside
You can walk a long way in both directions (there is no hotels to the right)
Entertainment all day: beach activities i.e. Dance lessons, beach games, etc.
Lobby has piano player /singer/or musician before & after dinner
Evening shows were very well done and entertaining
Lagoon room did have face clothes and toiletry bag, good water pressure
Our balcony did have two lounge chairs and 2 other chairs
Hotel Manager was on site along with the food manager

Food:

We only ate at the buffet as other people said other restaurants were basically the same foods and that the buffet had a largest selection of food:

Bread was fresh baked daily and tasted delicious
Desserts were always excellent
Fresh fish station, they cook to your tastes
Daily special, there would be a huge Roast or Turkey or Beef, or Ham
Pasta stations, you pick ingredients and they cook to taste
Fresh omelets made to order in the morning we wonderful
We loved the stir fry station for dinner, you could select, chicken, beef, pork or shrimp
They had a crepe bar where they made individual crepes, banana, and choc. etc.
Mornings included, fresh juice bar with smoothies too
Lunch we ate at the beach grill and enjoyed fresh grilled chicken fajitas
Cuba day we ate fresh grilled lobster and paella
A lot of fruit/veg was frozen or canned; there was a small selection of fresh daily

Not So Great:

The hotel was overbooked, however the hotel receptions staff said if we didn’t mind waiting for a couple of hours we would be upgraded to a Lagoon Room.
No one offered to get us a drink or show us around while we waited for our room.
The lagoon is very swampy and not cleaned
Our king sized bed was extremely hard
The pillow were very hard (I didn’t realize I could change it)
Our air conditioner only worked on high (the hotel was fixing the units in our building)
The fridge in our room stopped working and leaked a huge puddle of water on the floor
The iron in our room didn’t work
The bathroom was very dated and had dirty looking grout around tub
The drink cups they provide are child-sized cups
No drink service around the pool (except 1x daily coconuts drinks come around)
There is only one poor guy serving drinks running up and down the beach taking orders

Tip: If you pay to upgrade to a Lagoon Room, make sure it has been updated
Don't go when there is a full moon the tide is in and you lose the beach until noon

Yes the staff are very friendly and work very hard but tipping does make a HUGE difference to your experience and the level of service provided!!

So my final advice is: take money for tipping, gifts for maids, gifts for the gardeners (they deserve it the most) and take your Bubba mug but most of all take your chance on getting sick.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for Non Smoking room! Basic room - get a second floor so you won't have a prob...
4 Thank Robin M
MeliaCay0C0c0, General Manager at Melia Cayo Coco, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Customers,
We are truly sorry because due to illness you were not able to fully enjoy your holiday. I would like to let you know that there are not reported cases of diarrhea during your stay with us. We will be constantly moving forward on health and safety right practices in order to offer our customers a very safe holiday vacation. Parasites can be acquired at any country, and this hotel had been inspected by Health and Safety auditors on April 12th and 13th, concluding on positive results, leaving only a few recommendations which were immediately implemented. Regarding your comment on our lagoon, as we have previously stated on this site, our natural lagoon is cleaned on a daily basis to collect the garbage that accidentally gets into it. Whenever there is low tide, algae emerge from the bottom as part of a natural process we cannot stop. This may cause the impression of stagnant water, but it is not. Meliá Cayo Coco flags an environmental award for protecting the environment not only while building the hotel but also for maintaining this policy. Thank you very much for all your observations and suggestions. We will take action to rectify wrong doing and make sure future customers enjoy improved facilities and services in Meliá Cayo Coco.
Santiago Innerarity

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,455)
  • Polish first
Lancashire,England
Reviewed May 14, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a 14 night stay at the Malia Cayo coco and despite a couple of little problems had a very good holiday.It is our fourth holiday in Cuba,and the second on the Cayos,having previously had an excellent holiday at the sister hotel Melia Cayo Guillarmo.We had booked a lagoon room and were a little put out to find that it was not ready for us despite arriving at around 16.15 hrs.We had to wait about an hour for it and the found it to be 5222 which is the last block on the lagoon,the room was clean but very tired and to make matters worse only 25 meters from the edge of the building site where the new hotel is being constructed .The noise from the piling machines was very loud.We were moved the next afternoon to a lovely room in block 39,which had been revamped.although unfortunately water poured through the old air con vents twice during rain storms,but the staff came and cleaned up the mess.The hotel must bite the bullit and not charge upgrade prices on the last three lagoon blocks,50,51 and 52 as the whole point of the upgrade is the extra peace and tranquility of having sunbeds on the balcony.
The hotel is now showing its age especially around the pool where the concrete is very rough on bare feet.
Enough of the bad points,the food in general is excellent with plenty of choice and the A La Cartes are well worth visiting especially the International,which was superb and the VIP breakfast a really nice touch.The vast majority of staff at this hotel are brilliant and do everything to make your stay memorable.Pool bar service was very good despite being very busy,Pepe made us laugh and would brighten anyones day.The animation team were excellent and we joined the dance classes and games,and my wife had an excellent pedicure.
Drinks quality was very good especially in the reception bar with a large choice of international drinks available.On the whole the holiday was good value for money and we will comback.

1 Thank chrisb013
MeliaCay0C0c0, General Manager at Melia Cayo Coco, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear Customers,
Very glad to know you had an enjoyable holiday with us. Our apologies for not having your room ready on arrival. Although we do our very best to check all our customers in upon arrival, this may get complicated when the hotel is fully booked. You are right, room 5222 has not been modernized yet, but the good news on this is that the whole block will be closed from May 27th onwards for major renovations. We have had some minor disturbances in the last month, but the construction of the new hotel is going very slowly. However, since we are getting into slow season, we have scheduled to block those rooms which are located closer to building work. Thank you so much for your compliments on our staff. We know they are hotel best attribute and we are truly thankful for the way they serve you all, although we consider there is always room for improvement and we are constantly focused on it. When have booked to come back, please, send us a note with your requests for us to look after another "Enjoyable Holiday" in Meliá Cayo Coco.
Looking forward to seeing you again,
Welland, Canada
Reviewed May 14, 2013

The Melia Cayo Coco is a lovely resort in a beautiful setting. My husband and I had the pleasure of spending a week here at the end of April, (April 25th - May 2nd). This was our 17th trip to Cuba but the first time to this area having previously vacationed in Varadero, (Sandals Royal Hicacos concierge suites, Paradisus Princesa del Mar Royal Suites, Beaches Varadero concierge), as well as the Paradisus Rio de Oro Royal Suites in Holguin, the former Royal Hideaway Ensenachos in Cayo Ensenachos, and the Royalton in Cayo Santa Maria.

We really enjoyed our stay. The weather was hot with a few scattered showers on two of the days but nothing that hampered either our beach and/or pool time.
We had booked a ground floor lagoon suite and were overall satisfied with our room. The furnishings were basic but more than adequate. It was a good size and kept meticulously clean. There definitely was no odour as some had mentioned and absolutely no garbage floating in the water. No problem with mosquitoes either. We enjoyed sitting on the terrace feeding the fish while we watched the sun set. We were in 2312 and thought it was a good location as it never seemed a far walk to the main areas of the resort, the pool or the beach.

The beach may be narrow and during hide tide the waves do come up pretty close to the loungers but we found it beautiful nonetheless and enjoyed our many walks in either direction. We usually went down around 8:30 in the morning to lay our towels down before heading off to breakfast and never had difficulty securing a lounger in our favourite shade hut by the dive shack.

The pool area is smaller than other resorts we have visited and there is an abundance of loungers but limited access to shade. This wouldn't be such a problem if patrons stopped reserving beds first thing in the morning for long hours without ever showing up to use them. Adding more umbrellas might help to alleviate this problem especially for those who cannot endure full exposure to sun.

We found the food to vary from very good to excellent. We had most breakfasts at Las Caletas on the lagoon. The staff were exceptional and quickly got to know us by name. We liked the small buffet selection of fruits, assorted cold cuts, cereals and pastries as well as the menu selections. The wait staff were friendly, personable and efficient. We always had lunch at the beach grill and enjoyed the barbecue. I think I became addicted to the rotisserie chicken as I had it daily. The salad, soup, hot selections and dessert on the self serve table were also fresh and a nice option for those who wanted a quick meal. We enjoyed all the a la cartes. The set menu at the International was a great way to try things you might otherwise not order. I chose the steak entree, my husband had the fish and both were very good. We did the Cuban twice. It's a lovely setting and we enjoyed both our meals there. Our favorite however was the Italian. Loved the minestrone soup, the gnocchi and the seafood pasta. Ramon and the rest of the staff do an excellent job attending to you and all your requests. Your wine glass is never empty for too long.
We were also impressed with the amount of musicians that perform each day either in the restaurants, beach grill or the lobby bar. The latter was such a nice place to hook up with new friends for a before or after dinner drink while listening to local groups perform their music and what a variety it was.

The staff is the heart of this resort and what sets it apart from so many others. They are so friendly, warm and caring. Always smiling, they really seem to enjoy what they are doing. From the first moment we stepped up to reception we were greeted warmly with smiles and that service was maintained throughout our entire stay. We arrived as strangers and by the end of one week were already starting to feel like family. The entertainment team is the most hard working of any we have encountered throughout our travels. They are never intrusive, yet always present encouraging you to join in the many ongoing activities. There is always something going on somewhere if you feel inclined to join up. Cuba Day at the Beach Grill was the best celebration we have experienced in our many Cuban travels. The music, dancing, food, all I can say is WOW, what a great job.
For us this was a 5* experience in a 4+ resort. It didn't have the glitz or glam of others we have visited but it made up for in overall ambience, comfort and attentive service. We are already planning a two week return hopefully in the fall as one week just wasn't enough.

We would definitely recommend the Melia Cayo Coco to anyone looking for a quiet and relaxing retreat with good food, great service and an excellent hardworking staff.

3 Thank Ronnie E
Dear Customers,
Thank you so much for reviewing your most recent stay in Cuba. It is very encouraging for us reading such positive comments especially when you have enjoyed recent stays in luxury properties in Cuba. Yes, our Suites have been renovated and are located in a magnificent setting, but we have still not provided them with the new furniture we have already bought, which explains your comment on old furniture. Within one month, they will all look brand new. We would also like to let you and all readers know we have added more shade on the beach area and will start with a project to favor the pool area in short term. In addition, we have implemented an internal procedure to collect all towels being placed to pre-reserve sun beds with the intention of enforcing this rule. Thank you for all your comments, especially those regarding our staff being considered by yourselves the heart of our hotel. They truly are.
With warmest regards, looking forward to seeing you again,
dumfriesshire
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I have just returned from 2 week stay here . 26th April - 11th May . I was there with my sister to get away for my Non Birthday ( as I called it) The staff at this hotel are second to none. They are such hard workers but very cheery and extremely helpful . On the actual date of my non birthday the hotel made me a cake & bottle of champagne which was very nice of them .The animation team are 1 of the most friendly funny teams I have ever met . I don't usually join in any of the games on holiday but this team actually were such fun that they had me joining in all of the beach activities. We were known affectionately by them as "The Sisters". The rooms are a wee bit dated and could maybe do to be refurbished but they are spotlessly clean and the beds are 2 Queen sized beds pushed together . We were left a lovely note by our maid on arrival and a farewell not with good wishes from her on departure . The gardeners made us a hat each and also little birds and grasshoppers , the gardens are kept immaculate . It was said at welcome meeting by "Happy" that we all arrive as tourists but leave as friends and he was correct when he said this . When we departed the team came out and waited and waved us off , which I thought was very nice of them . I have never had this gesture before . The food was lovely and there was plenty choice always something to eat .The entertainment in the bar was a bit repetitive , only down side to being on resort is that you cant go out of resort and wonder to another bar for entertainment ( which isn't the be all and end all ) . The comments regarding getting a sunbed under shade could be resolved if guests didn't get up at stupid o'clock and not only put towels on beds under shade but also around pool and also the beach . If the management could find a way to stop this then there shouldn't be a problem . The beach is well maintained although it is a bit narrow , water shallow and very warm , it was good doing water aerobics in the sea even with the fish ! Lol :-)
We went on the VIP catamaran trip and also the Now Cuba trip both of which I would recommend especially the now Cuba trip ( Thomas Cook excursions) This allowed you to experience a bit of the real Cuba rather than just lying about resort
Tipping is not compulsory but it is customary so be prepared to spend a bit on tips
All in all a great holiday which we started as tourists but left as great friends just as "Happy" promised . Well done staff and Animation team you are a credit to the Melia group

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank kaz43red
Dear Customers,
Thank you very much for your review and all the comments made on it. As we have stated on previous answers, we are taking action on sorting out lack of shade at both beach and pool area, but thank you for your suggestion. Your compliments will certainly be passed onto our team, I fully agree with you: they are a credit to the Company. Do let us know when you are booked to come back, we will be very glad to look after another "Fantastic Holiday" in Meliá Cayo Coco.
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This is my third trip to Cuba second to Cayo Coco and first at the Melia . Me and my wife went the week of May 4th-11th. First of the weather was almost perfect the whole week minus the high humidity . Also we had one day that a storm moved in but it was only windy and got a few drops of rain after about 1.5 hr it moved on and was sunny the rest of the day .

Next the room. It was kinda what you would expect we stayed in 7122 it was two queen beds pushed together they were quite firm . The A/C worked perfect . Only downside was the bar fridge was not very cold and the water pressure kinda lagged. Other then that the maids did a great job cleaning the rooms twice a day everyday . Leaving nice flowers and creations made of the towels.

The beach. As pretty much everyone has stated it's beautiful but very narrow espically when it's high tide. There are alot of cabanas to the left and right but as with any other resort you need to be up and out early to claim your spot. If we got out around 7-730 am there were still a few left bit more down the beach. The water was very warm and refreshing after sitting out in the sun all day about 25°C.

The pool . We used the pool area quite a bit as my wife doesn't like the salt water to much . It was same as the beach were you had to be out early to get shade . Plenty of chairs tho. It was kept quite clean . It's not as big as some other other resorts I've been to and not as deep. Also lack of a in pool bar kinda sucked . It's a bit of a walk to either of the two bars near the pool . They have volley ball everyday at 3:30 which I participated in, usually run by "Alexander the great" Alex . He does a great job and a hoot to talk to and play against . They did not have a big assortment of pool side activities. Which for me didn't matter too much . I wish they would have played more music and variety of music . It was wasn't played alot and when it was you could barley hear it . Which maybe for older couples is what they prefer.

Service/staff/food/drinks. Were both great in most all areas of the resort. We made friends with a great bartender Gabrelle every time he saw me he would come say hi and talk. He is a very tall skinny younger guy who always seems to be in a good mood despite all the hours they have to work. All the other bartenders also did a great job taking and filling orders pretty quickly. They have quite a wide selection of liqueurs and alcohols that are included . At the buffet which we ate at 90% of the time , the servers were usually pretty quick there were 1 or 2 times were we had to wait a bit for drinks but nothing to bad. Food was decent quite a wide selection. I tried and enjoyed much of everything . Good selection of meats that they cook fresh for you . They also cook pasta of your choice fresh .

Activities/excursions . We rented the pedal bikes for 1hr (which is included) and took a 10 min bike ride down to the flea market . They have a huge assortment of souvenirs to purchase and have mini stores inside in which to buy food,personal care products and more. We did one excursion out of the resort . It's called jeep on you drive a jeep (a very small one and manual transmission) on the roads of cuba to a few different spots including a banana/sugar cane plantation , crocodile breeding farm and the city of Moron. It also includes a speedboat adventure that you do near the beginning with snorkelling in the middle of the adventure. They city of Moron was a crazy place filled with people doing everything and trying to sell you everything possible or trade for your personal possessions. To another point make sure you bring CASH to exchange for CUC money. As I'm not sure about the airport but the resort will not let you do a cash advance on your visa. We paid about $100 cdn each for that excursion which you can pay for by visa. Found it was good value for the money spent.

Conclusion. Melia Cayo Coco is a great resort, very fresh and clean with lots to offer. I was very happy with the value for money spent. I would absolutely go back again with out hesitation. There is a reason why they are rated #1 out of all the other hotels on Cayo Coco.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Nascareh
MeliaCay0C0c0, General Manager at Melia Cayo Coco, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Customers,
So glad to read you had a great vacation in our hotel! Thank you very much for your detailed review, your compliments and your suggestions. In fact, we have noticed some new ecological fridges we have bought lately do not keep beverages as cold as regular ones. We have taken your room number to check wether this is the case or not, and have also revised the issue with water pressure. Thank you for announcing your next stay with us. Do send us your requests for us to accommodate them all with pleasure.
Best regards,
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This was my 4th time at your beautiful resort and once again I felt like part of a large family. It was great seeing everyone again - Jenny, Yannis, Ameil, Heny, Yosami, Peter, Rafael, Joel, Tamara, Gipsy, & Violetta.

Changes that you have made around the resort are lovely.

The food as usual was very good and lots of variety. Do love the flambé bananas, but limited my intake this year for my waistline!! Did miss the lobster tails that were available last year at the buffet ( please bring them back). The special luncheon for return visitors was delicious (thank you).

Did enjoy the entertainment in the lobby bar especially our old friends "The Family" . Did not take in any shows as they have not changed in the last four years, but did not mind as there was plenty of entertainment and lovely people to meet in the lobby bar. Perhaps it may be time to make some changes in your shows as so many people return to your resort.

The beach was the best I have experienced - ocean calm, water warm and plenty of sun shelters this year.

Service the best as always. Melia is my # 1 spot in Cuba!

Room Tip: Rooms with updated washrooms are a bonus!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Debora C
Dear Loyal Customers,
The title you have given to your review fully describes your most recent stay with us! Thank you so much for your lovely words, especially for taking your time to mention specific names. I would kindly like to invite you to take some of our shows next time, we have made and will be making some changes which I am prettly much sure will be to your liking.
Looking forward to seeing you again at "your Number 1 Hotel in Cuba",
Goole, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2013

i would like to start by saying a big thankyou to all the staff at the melia for been so welcoming and very friendly and making our honeymoon special.Ignore the bad reviews as you will notice they are nearly all canadians if its that bad stay at home so there is more room for us brits who enjoy and appriciate excellent service and good food.we have just returned today 11/04/13 after having 2 weeks ov pure relaxation we were upgraded to a lagoon room (3622) which was very nice and updated. we found every aspect ov the melia excellent and will defenately be returning in the future. And i would just like to say PEPE is the man and his coconuts are the best and thankyou to our maid Mayhlew for her excellent service
THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lynsey n adi x

Room Tip: upgrade to lagoon rooms even though the other rooms are all nice
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
MeliaCay0C0c0, General Manager at Melia Cayo Coco, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Customers,
Thank you very much for your review. We are quite glad to know you had a wonderful honeymoon among us and have truly enjoyed your holiday vacation in Meliá Cayo Coco. Have passed your compliments to Maylen and Pepe, thank you very much for mentioning them. We hope to be your choice when celebrate your anniversaries. If so, please, send us your booking details and requests for us to look after them with pleasure.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Coco
Melia Cayo Guillermo
Melia Cayo Guillermo
#3 of 6 in Cayo Guillermo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,207 reviews

Been to Melia Cayo Coco? Share your experiences!