“Second Visit”
Review of Melia Cayo Coco

Melia Cayo Coco
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I've been going to Cuba for over 15 years now, but this year was the first time we did a repeat visit, that is to say, after going to many different resorts, we decided to settle down at Melia Cayo Coco, which we visited the previous year.
There's nothing wrong with this place. The rooms are good (we must have had one of the newer remodelled rooms), the beach is nice and uncrowded, and the staff are amongst the best on an island renowned for great service.
Despite arriving fairly early in the afternoon our room was ready. So after a quick shower, we had our three a la cartes booked and we were on the beach by mid afternoon.
The restaurants are all pretty good. Not exactly gourmet, but passable. The buffet has enough of a variety and pasta and meat stations that cook to your request, although at times the lineup at the meat station is not worth the wait.
The three a la cartes are good.
By far the best is the lunch place by the beach where around noon each day, they will barbecue meat to your liking. They also roast chicken and pork ribs. As long as you're not a vegetarian, you'll love this.
There's also a nice little pizza/sandwich/burger place by the pool.
We walked on the beach each day. If you go around the bend on the far side, a whole new spot full of hotels opens up. you can walk for miles.
We didn't take advantage of the beach on the far end of the island, although we saw pictures and for sure we'll go next time.
Our highlight, like last year, was the billiard bar and servers Joseph (Pepe) and Orlando who work hard and tirelessly but always greet you with a handshake and a smile. A great place for beers and company.
There really are no criticisms we can think of. I have a fairly weak stomach, but had no problems.
We were there in mid-February (I know, this review is late). We had a spot of bad weather (cold for three days). I mean really cold. Guests would wear their jackets to the pool. But that was OK. We found a little games area with a fuzball table, dart board and shuffle board. We kept busy.

I highly recommend this place. We will be back next February.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank JoeSerge
MeliaCay0C0c0, General Manager at Melia Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Dear Customer,
Thank you very much for your nice review, especially for recommending our hotel on this site. We will be more than glad in looking after your next stay in February so please, let us know if there is any request we can accommodate prior to your arrival for us to look after it accordingly.

There are newer reviews for Melia Cayo Coco

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Travelled 5th April for 1 week.
My friend and I were so very excited to be going on this much awaited holiday, we wish we hadn't bothered.
Flight out was ok, however was delayed and took 10 hours, but not a bad flight on the whole.
Transfer time was excellent as was check in. We were pleasantly surprised to find that we were booked into a lagoon room, which was lovely, clean and tidy.
Staff on the whole are just lovely, cheery and helpful.
Unfortunately there is the problem of reserving sun loungers and was made worse by the fact that there is limited shady areas. We met a lovely Canadian couple (Rick and Carol) who were getting up at 5am to secure shady sun loungers. Having overheard another Canadian couple complain they were told by management that they should "play the game" as well if they wanted to be in the shade!
Food was ok on the whole, and Florence's pancakes were the best laced in maple syrup and rum. On the other hand I did see a joint of pork that was raw in the middle., so I tended to choose wisely. Even though I took every precaution I could on day 3 I contracted the diarrhoea and cramps bug. My friend and I had just arranged to book a day trip to the Mangrove Lagoon when this started. My friend informed the rep Hector, who was rather disgruntled at the news obviously more concerned with loosing his commission than the comfort of his guests.
My friend also became ill and has since continued back home. I visited the on site doctor and began to realise the amount of people that were ill was mounting. I was asked to give a sample and was given a letter from the management to stay in our room as if in quarantine, which we duly did. This inevitably spoilt the rest of the week and found out that not everyone that was ill or had visited the doctor was asked to staying there rooms!
Thomas Cook you really do need to put correct procedures into place and make sure these are carried out when such an outbreak occurs.
Leaving the resort after this could not come soon enough, however on arriving at the airport we were told that the homebound flight was delayed and also a different aircraft.. Having had premium seats with extra legroom booked we were herded onto this smaller aeroplane. We all suffered the 8 hours flight in cramped conditions. We arrived back Saturday morning.

The final straw, the beach beautiful, the staff on the whole friendly. Would I go again probably not.
I have now been diagnosed with and suffering with (fatal on occasions) a DVT in my left leg from the flight, and I took all necessary precautions flight socks, move about etc.
Thanks Thomas Cook great trip not!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank 420Juneau

Dear Customer,
Thank you very much for your comments. We are truly sorry for failing on providing you with a 5 star holiday vacation, so please, accept my personal apologies for this.
I am in agreement with you and so many other customers regarding lack of shade in pool and beach areas. I would like to tell you that we have implemented an internal procedure to collect all towels being placed to pre-reserve sunbeds. But the most important action to be mentionned is that we have already scheduled to add more palapas and parasols at both beach and pool which means we will have more room for shade and sunbeds at our pool solarium.
With regards to your comments on stomach upset during your stay, we would like to provide you and all our readers with some information on the events. From April 6th until 12th, several cases of diarrhea and stomach cramps were reported, but they were gradually emerging. Therefore it is very unlikely we were facing food poisoning in the hotel. However, we inmediately activated Meliá-partners outbreak protocol by informing health and safety local authorities, touroperators, constant communication with guests starting with information on how to proceed for their safety, and reinforcement of hygiene and disinfection practices in all our areas. As you may have witnessed, Local Health and Safety authorities audited our property which included collection of food sample and other important tests. No new stomach cramp-diarrhea related case has arised at present time in Meliá Cayo Coco.
With best regards,

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Arrived at the Melia Cayo Coco Cuba on the 29/03/13 First impressions were very good. Fast check in bell boys for luggage.Rooms are tired but clean and beds are fab. 0n the 03/04/13 I started with vey bad tummy cramps and the worse diarrhea I have ever seen OMG this carried on for four days and when talking to others in hotel and loads had it then my husband started with it. went to see repp he said too much sun and drink and laughed. others had been and he said there was not a problem in hotel. when i still had it after 10 days decided to see doctor, when arrived there was a massive queue and they told us to go to customer services as Hotel was paying as there were so many with it. At customer services their were a list of peoples names for the doctor well over a hundred people.when talking to others they were giving antibiotics to all that was staying and charcole and electrolights to them going home. Then that evening our last in the hotel a member of staff came to out room and asked us to sign a form stating I was fit and well and if i did not would be confined to our room I still refused. The next day I saw docter again before i flew home. our holiday was compleatly ruiend as we could not go far from a toliet and couldent get sun bed in shade unless you got up beetween 5am and 6am. So if ya off to there be sure to take loads of dirralite and antibacteral gel.

4  Thank ecta

Dear Customer,
Thank you for your comments. We are truly sorry because due to illness you were not able to enjoy your holiday. We have already provided all our readers with some comments on our answer to the previous review, but would like to point out some statements you make which we consider need to be clarified. We always recommend all our customers to visit the doctor as soon as first symptom of stomach upset appears. Getting to know the cause of an outbreak is of paramount importance and customer´s feedback plays an outstanding role on this. Contradicting procedures was an inadequate behavior which may have caused spreading of the virus in case it was the reason for the outbreak. We just followed rules and looked after correct implementation of procedures established for such events, so, that letter you received stating you should remain in your room having the diet prescribed by the doctor was sent with only one purpose: your safety and that of all our customers. We would finally like to add that there were not over 100 cases, there were a number of reported illnesses at different dates, and we acted accordingly. As previously stated, Local Health and Safety authorities audited our property which included collection of food sample and other important tests. No new stomach cramp-diarrhea related case has arisen at present time in our hotel and there is no evidence of food poisoning.

Traveled March 30 to April 2 2013

Like many - after reading all of the reviews - we were quite excited to go to this oasis but we should have saved our money and gone elsewhere.

- The transfer to the resort is indeed wonderful - 10 minutes top
- The check in was smooth and easy
- The room was dated at best & let's not talk about the bathroom - normally this would not bother me (after all we are in Cuba) but given the reviews and the price point for this resort - it certainly didn't meet expectations. From what i understand - we should have complained about the room and then we would have been moved to a new room...if you don't complain - then you get what you get)
- Lots of people played the game "save the loungers even if we don't use them until 4 hours later." The hotel mgmt should figure out a way to sort this out (as a side note and just to show you the depths people would go to - a couple had left their towels on the sun loungers on the beach but they took it a step further and tied a luggage strap around the loungers and the pole just to triple ensure no one would their loungers)
- Food was okay but have had better in Cuba
- Beach was beautiful
- The service strategy is "if you expect to get good service - pay up front"....but if you employ the strategy of "i'll tip when i get good service" - then be prepared to not get good service 85% of the time
- Overall - there's nothing wrong with the place but it is just "meh" - save your money and go elsewhere....the world is a big place.

As a side note - spend the $20 to get the VIP lounge at the airport...

3  Thank princessriffraff

Dear Customer,
Thank you very much for your comments. We are truly sorry for failing on providing you with the holiday vacation you expected.
I would like to apologize for accommodating you in a downgraded room. We know that although our standard accommodation has not been favored by modernization yet, we have to offer our customers what they have paid for.
As I have previously said, reserving sun beds is not allowed in the hotel and brings lots of inconveniences to most of our customers. We have implemented an internal procedure to collect all towels being placed to pre-reserve sun beds. But the most important action to be mentioned is that we have already scheduled to add more palapas and parasols at both beach and pool which means we will have more room for shade and sun beds at our pool solarium.
Thank you for your comments on service, though this is mostly praised by our visitors, we know there may be gaps which we are truly focused on filling in to provide all our customers with the level of service they expect.
With best regards,

Reviewed April 15, 2013

My husband and I also stayed at Melia Cayo Coco from 29/3/13-12/4/13. We liked the hotel and did enjoy our holiday. There were however issues which spoilt the holiday.

My husband, along with many, many other guests had stomach problems whilst we were there. This was a problem lasting 10+ days but thankfully did gradually become less of a hindrance as time progressed. It did prevent us from doing some of the things we wanted to do as we couldn't venture far from a toilet. We are seasoned travellers and have travelled to India etc. previously. This is not a problem encountered before.

The food did taste good and was varied but on more than one occasion the roast pork joint on the buffet was running in blood. We both avoided it. We do not know what caused people to be ill but many people had to visit the doctor and were asked to give samples.

We luckily chose not to visit Havana on the free trip as my husband would not have been well enough to travel and having heard the opinions of others it seems we made the right decision.

The room was nice but the bathroom in need of refurbishment. The maid was lovely. The fridge was noisy but was drowned out by the air con unit which sounded like a jet engine and wouldn't turn down below 18.

The Now Cuba trip was disappointing. The catamaran trip was a much better day out.

The journey home was as described by Dougatethecheese. We had premium seats booked for the journey home which were not available due to the change of aircraft. The aircraft was cramped. The seats did not recline at all, they were narrow and leg room limited. There wasn't even room for a pocket in the seat back. The overhead storage was crammed full so we had no option to travel with out hand luggage on the floor hence even less leg room. The seats allocated were on the same row but not together as we had been told by two different airport staff. However, when we boarded we discovered my husband and another passenger had been allocated the same seat!

The only good thing about the flight was the tail wind which saved us precious time and made things a little less painful. The crew on board were lovely and did their best under the circumstances.

I booked this holiday 12 months prior to travelling. I am a little disappointed to be honest

3  Thank 166Fiona2013

Dear Customer,
Thank you for your comments. We are truly sorry because due to illness you were not able to fully enjoy your holiday. As we have stated before, we did have several cases of diarrhea and stomach cramps reported. It is very unlikely we were facing food poisoning in the hotel because they were gradually reported. As we have explained, we immediately activated outbreak protocol by informing health and safety local authorities, tour operators; we established constant communication with guests, and especially monitored reinforcement of hygiene and disinfection practices in all our areas. No new case has arisen at present time in our hotel. As also explainned to other reviewers, we will start with modernization of our standard accommodation, which will mainly cover bathroom refurbishment.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

I went to the Melia along with my partner and three friends, staying from 29/03/2013 - 12/04/2013 flying with Thomas Cook. After reading all the amazing reviews on here I was quite excited however this didn't last long.

On our arrival at the hotel, first impressions were good. However, the rooms are definitely not four star, they are tired, dated and are in need of some repair/modernisation. The electrics leave a lot to be desired! Sparks were coming from the plug sockets, some of the lights were flickering even when switched off which was extremely annoying when trying to sleep and the fridge was quite noisy too. The railings are in need of a lick of paint and one of my friends balconies were dangerously loose, moving if you leant on it. The rooms were clean though and the beds were comfy.

The food at the hotel was ok, lots of choice but again not four star standard.
The Caribbean Restaurant was by far the best (amazing fajitas!) and the service was good but a little slow. Has a gorgeous view of the beach.
The International Restaurant was good, lots of small courses which gave you the opportunity to try everything but also very filling. Service was very good in this restaurant and had a view over the lagoon.
The Italian Restaurant left little to be desired. Everything tasted bland and the waiter was quite rude saying that we were "cheap" because we didn't want any wine.

The beach was really good, was kept very clean and tidy and the sea was clear, as was the pool area. There were 5 people in our group and we never had a problem getting sun loungers, whether it be morning or afternoon.
Do not leave beach towels unattended unless you want to lose them. There were beach towels going missing from sun loungers and if you lose a hotel beach towel expect to incur a 15 peso charge on checking out. This is around £10.

As per previous reviews, the hotel had overbooked and therefore at the start of our second week offered every guest the opportunity of going to Havana for a free 2 night stay including entry to Tropicana. The trip was organised by Thomas Cook but funded by the hotel.
All five of our party decided that it would be a good opportunity to see Havana (especially as the trip cost 329 pesos per person) and also this would free up 3 rooms for the hotel. What a BIG mistake this was!!!
We checked out of the hotel at 8am friday morning and boarded a small coach (which had no toilet facilities) and started our 9 HOUR journey to Havana (longer than our journey from the UK to Cuba!)
We stopped at a toilet stop which was probably the worst toilet I've ever seen (and smelt.) We've been to Mexico twice before and are aware that facilities outside of a complex aren't to the same standard however this was absolutely ridiculous. Toilet paper is more valuable in Cuba than actual currency!
After this disgusting pit stop we went to a small hotel for lunch. This was in my opinion a 1 star hotel with 1 star food, at best. Although the number of flies on the floor suggested they adored the food!
My partner and friend ate chicken legs and salad as this looked like the safest option, this was before we spotted the 50 or so flies dancing on the floor. My partner ate two bites of the chicken and no more.
We continued onto Havana and arrived at the Panorama Hotel. This is also advertised as a four star hotel and although from the outside it looked nice, the food and rooms were not to standard. Some of the fixings in the bedroom and bathroom were broken.
When we arrived at the hotel, my partner was immediately ill as was our friend (who also ate the chicken) and were both suffering from extreme sickness and diahorrea for seven days from that day.
Needless to say it ruined their trip and the remainder of their stay at the Melia. Our friend also booked a catamaran trip prior to going to Havana and was not able to attend due to being so ill and lost her money.
The Thomas Cook rep, Hector, didn't seem to be that bothered even though we were not the only party who suffered with illness on the Havana trip.

Havana itself is not what I expected, as I mentioned previously, I have been to Mexico many times and I am aware of the poverty that exists but Cuba is suffering from far more poverty than I expected.
It is not the bright happy smiling place that is advertised by travel companies and guide books, it is a drab miserable place where all the buildings are in ruin, people are lay in the street seemingly unconcious or just plain bored and locals chase you with their amputated limbs shouting at you for money! No, I'm not kidding!
As a tourist you obviously stand out like a sore thumb and the locals take no prisoners, expect to be constantly harassed, grabbed and shouted at for money. If you refuse or ignore them (as told to by the guide) expect to be insulted.
By the end of our day exploring the centre of Havana with our guide I was exhausted and more than a bit annoyed with everyone.
We returned to the hotel but due to illness no one could eat then we went to Tropicana for the show (my partner was so ill they were unable to go).
Tropicana was the only part of the trip I would recommend, the show was great and as part of the package each person was given a snack of peanuts, a glass of sparkling wine and a litre bottle of Havana dark rum to share between four people.
The next day we spent another 9 hours travelling by coach back to Cayo Coco (with two people suffering with explosive diahorrea this was nerve wracking!) and were overjoyed to arrive back at the Melia where the food was edible, there was toilet paper in every toilet and we felt safe to venture outside of the complex.

By the end of our two week holiday we were pleased to be going home which is something we never feel.
On arrival at Jardines del rey airport we were informed by Hector, the unhelpful Thomas Cook rep, that our plane had broken down in the UK and a new aircraft had been provided.
This plane was not an airbus but a 767. A MUCH smaller plane.

We were one of the first groups to arrive at the airport to check in, yet somehow due to the new planes layout and the fact that some people had prebooked seats we were literally the last 4 people to be given our boarding passes. There was no one left in the check in area but myself, partner and 2 friends. One of our friends had been given a seat alone and had gone through to departures. We then realised that none of us were sat together.
We eventually got through to departures where we were informed that there was a 2 hour delay then when we managed to board our 767 we found that there was no in flight entertainment as a 767 is the size of plane that would normally be used to fly from the UK to Spain.
There were no monitors in the back of the seats which made for a very boring and cramped 9 hour flight.
There were problems with the air conditioning on the plane which caused water to run on several of the passengers to which Thomas Cook aircrew came to the rescue with tissue paper and duct tape (safe?) then on take off a lot of the overhead compartments came flying open swiftly followed by luggage.

To sum everything up, the Melia hotel is a 3 star hotel at a 4 star price. It is quite possibly the best hotel in Cuba, however, if you actually want to enjoy a 4 star holiday do not go to Cuba. Spend an extra few hundred pounds and choose another caribbean destination.
I have included in this review everything more to give everyone a better insight into the whole package as some of you may foolishly decide to venture to Havana or, even worse, book with Thomas Cook.
I have been on several holidays with other companies and have never had such an awful holiday or service and hope many of you enjoy holidays in other locations.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank DougAteTheCheese

Dear Customer,
I would first like to apologize for a room not up to our standards. As I have previously stated here, although our standard accommodation has not been favored by modernization yet, we have to offer our customers what they have paid for. We have reinforced actions on room preventive and corrective maintenance in order to improve this matter. We have also discussed your comments on service at the Italian Restaurant.
In fact, we were short of rooms some days of present month and the free Havana tour was a choice we understood would be of our customers ‘liking as visiting Havana is considered main attraction in our country.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

- Incredible service, the most attentive staff in Cuba. Thanks to low turn-over, this place has a character unlike any place else.
- Clean and well maintained. Jose the gardener will find you fresh aloe vera if you need it!
- Fresh fish, and high quality cuts of pork, beef, and chicken in the buffet. It gets better and better!
- Always a good place on the beach. Thanks Carlos!!!
- The a la carte's have improved dramatically, in particular the Italian restaurant run by Ramon. What a great guy!
- The animation staff are full of authentic energy and can warm you up to the activities even if you are a little shy, cold, or exhausted.
- The Catec lobster hut is not to be missed. Andre, Silvo, Israel, Frank and Adel are a riot!
- Pancho the pelican!!!

Room Tip: If you want a unique, authentic Cuban vacation, get to know the staff. Its the staff that makes the...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank KellyMoney

Dear Customers,
Thank you so much for your lovely review. I am in agreement with you, we do have a fantastic staff and they are what make us stronger. We will pass your praises onto them and please, let us know when you are going to come back; we will be delighted in looking after your stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Coco
#3 of 12 in Cayo Coco
Iberostar Playa Pilar
Iberostar Playa Pilar
#1 of 7 in Cayo Guillermo

Been to Melia Cayo Coco? Share your experiences!