“Great Stay MCC”
Review of Melia Cayo Coco

Melia Cayo Coco
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Stayed for one week Feb. 27th. Short ride from the airport, which was a bonus and what we look for in a vacation spot. Arrived at hotel around noon with about 3 other couples. I have to say I was slightly disapointed that they did not have a cocktail waiting for us. All our past trips, cocktail and sometimes a cool cloth is waiting for you. I don;t know if is was because only a few of us were arriving or not, but it is a nice touch when they start off welcoming in that way. That being said, we were pleased that our room was ready, bonus. Rooms were average, nothing to write home about, this not being top priority to us, don't spend a lot of time in the room.
Food was really good, always had a good variety and presented well. We always like to try out the ala cartes. Itallian was really good, try the chicken. Cuban was ok, the mousse is a must try, it looks like a chocolate Easter Egg. International, was a nice experience, different. Everyone was served the same menu, a sampler menu. Very small tastes of eveything on the menu. Was not aware of this before booking, but enjoyed the experience. I was not wanting the lobster, they brought double of the beef portion for the main dish.
Beach, was very good, narrow beach, I enjoy being close to the ocean. Nice walk to the right along the beach. Walking to the left you pass by the Sol hotel, cross over a road to another beach, much different looking, deeper beach, not as many people there.
The resort is a small resort, not a lot of walking, you are close to everything.
Staff were very friendly and very attentive. We noticed the manager was very hands on with his staff, not so much with the guests, that we saw. He has no worries with his staff as they were all doing a great job.
I would reccomend this resort, and would return one day.

7  Thank sshado

Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I spent 1 week at the Melia Cayo Coco from 1st -8th March 2013. We only wished we had booked for 2 weeks!! The hotel was fantastic. Plenty of bars and restaurants to choose from, and the quality of the food was excellent. The drink selection included all international brands and plenty of choice. The staff were very polite and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble. We loved the sports bar after spending a day at the beach or pool. The sunset was right over the lagoon and you could sit on the terrace of the sports bar and relax. The rooms were dated but we hardly spent anytime in them. The beach was beautiful. The beach restaurant was superb for lunch as well. Overall we had a great time and would love to go back...but for 2 weeks!!!

• Stayed: March 2013
10  Thank em251183
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stayed at the melia for the first 2 weeks in Feb and had the best holiday ever! My partner booked this resort for my 30th birthday and we were not dissapointed. We upgraded to a laggon room that was excellent had a huge balcony that was on the bottom floor and the sun would hit us from midday right up untill the evening. The room was spotless with a mini bar that was stocked daily. The buffet is realy good quality food, i am a very fussy eater and always found something. Tried all 3 resturants but prefered the buffet. The beach barbacue at lunch was also amazing we went every day! The beach is lovely but a must is to travel to pillar beach it was so beautiful although if you get the bus it wiil take over a hour. The piano bar always had a pianist playing good music which was nice and the shows in the evening were always entertaining. We went a day trip to Trinidad which was good to visit although around 4 hours on a bus. There was always somthing to do we were never bored or struggling for entertainment. Every one is so nice at the Melia the gardeners do a excellent job and were always giving us small flower gifts when we passed which was reallly thoughtful. The buffet, bar and entertainment staff also went out of there way to make us feel welcome. I had an amazing holiday and will b back next year and am looking forward it already!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a lagoon room they are fab
6  Thank happyt24
MeliaCay0C0c0, General Manager at Melia Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Dear Customer,
Thank you very much for your lovely review. You made us feel honored by announcing your return, and looking forward to seeing you again. Send us your booking details for us to look after another "Perfect" stay in Meliá Cayo Coco.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Hello all,

My overall summary of this resort is that I would recommend it to anyone. Details are provided below.

My wife and I and another couple spent March 3-10 at the Melia at Cayo Coco. My qualifications for doing a review would be the fact that we have vacationed at least once per year to similar destinations for the last 25 years. Some years more than one.

I have provided ratings for each of TripAdvisor's categories and only found two that are not 5 star, which would be the architecture and room quality and drink selection. Typically a 5 star resort, in my experience is quite lavish architecturally and the Melia was not up to this standard in my estimation. However, this is a small factor when you consider most of the other categories rate as a 5 star.

Service: Second to none. 5 stars. One example would be; the resort has a lady who constantly interviews travellers to gather information on the quality of their stay. We were interviewed by her at lunch one day, the only thing I mentioned, which was definitely not a problem for me, was that they didn't provide Bloody Mary's at the beach bar, but I assured her that this was not a necessity. 2 hours later my wife and I were at the beach, and lo and behold, there were Bloody Mary's at the beach bar.

Value: excellent, we paid $1500/person, comparatively very good value.

Sleep quality: Excellent, quiet room, good beds. I did hear from some people with back issues that the beds were too hard.

Cleanliness: Excellent, 5 stars

Food and Drink: Excellent, 4.5 stars, good selection of food, not bland as reviewed by others, always able to find way too much to eat. The only reason I don't rate this as a 5 star is that at a typical 5 star resort, there would be much higher end selection of the various libations. Not a problem for my wife and I, just a comparison.

Location: Excellent, 5 stars

Rooms: Excellent, however as compared to a newer 5 star resort, the rooms would be more comparative to a 4 star rating.

Spa: Not able to provide rating.

We will definitely be back and a huge thanks to the Melia staff who define the term, "great service"

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
12  Thank moogie403
MeliaCay0C0c0, General Manager at Melia Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear Customer,
it is Service, again, what a reviewer praise the most from a stay in Meliá Cayo Coco. I am in total agreement with you, our staff make an autstanding difference, they all know it and everyday strive on making it even better, and we constantly thank them for their positive attitude. As I have previously stated on this site, more renovations are coming from thus Summer season onwards, especially in our rooms. We will also make some changes around the Lobby, pool and fitness center. We have already redecorated the Beach Restaurant Arena Real and have provided the terrace of the beach bar with a roof, greatly appreciated by all the customers who are not punished anymore by the sun when having a refreshing drink so close to the ocean. As of your comment regarding drink selection, we have being revising all the standards just to make sure we have what is standardised in all our bars. We had some supply issues eventhough when we made everything within our power to offer what required.
Finally, I would like to especially thank you for starting your review with such an amasing recomendation. You can rest assure we will not dissapoint customers who decide to come to Meliá Cayo Coco as well as will be more than glad in accommodating all your requests when come back for another wonderful stay with a 5* service.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

We spent two weeks at the Melia Cayo Coco from the end of February.
Arrival - We were greeted with a cold drink and a cool face cloth which was much needed. Check in was extremely quick and easy.
Room - We were a little dissapointed with our room. A lovely looking four poster bed but overall quite dated, especially the bathroom. The room smelt damp, as did our clothes after a while of being in the wardrobe. HOWEVER - we feel this is reflected in the price of the hotel - we found the price of this holiday extremely good. There is a lagoon area with nicer rooms (apparently) however when we saw and smelt the lagoon area we didn't feel we were missing out massively.
Pool area - A lovely looking pool. Not too noisy (with the odd exception!) probably due to it being adults only. Unfortunately not enough umbrellas for people needing some shade. Also by our second week we went out at 08.45 to find ALL loungers has been reserved, the annoying thing is that some were not used until the afternoon, and some naughty people had reserved loungers for the morning AND a kabana for the midday heat. A little greedy! Reserving of sunbeds needs to be addressed here.
Food - There is a wide selection in the buffet - my husband got a bit bored of this by the end of the holiday but i think that's typical of buffets. We were also served a chicken kebab from the hot plate guy which was quite raw - so just be careful. I appreciate he has a big queue of people all stood waiting for their food to cook. The Italian was a lovely restaurant. We were not so keen on the Carribean and we were unable to get booked into the international - although others said this was the best one.
Staff - The staff truly make this resort what it is, such a bunch of genuinely lovely people! Alex was a great guy as was ?Pepe (the guy with the hats and big dice!). Orlando in the billiard bar was wonderful, a true gentleman and all round nice guy. Jose who made pancakes in the morning - well his pancakes were THE BEST! Rafael who did the archery was also amazing, very funny and always enthusiastic.
The beach was beautiful, and there are a few shops in the hotel selling nick nacks as well as cigars, rum, suntan lotion etc. There is also a doctor which we thought was good.
I had two massages which were extremely good value for money. My husband did some diving which he enjoyed. Unfortunately Cayo Coco is quite a way from Havana so we did not visit as it was going to prove quite costly.
One other thing we noticed was that the resort seemed to be mainly visited by 50 plus age group. This did not bother us but may bother younger couples who want something more lively. However the billiard bar is good and there is a disco upstairs after 11pm.
Overall - a lovely holiday and good value for money. I am aware that the rooms are due for an upgrade - i think this will make the hotel almost perfect.

Room Tip: Try a Banamama cocktail OR coconut rum and pineapple. If you want a younger atmosphere at night vis...
2  Thank samlou22
MeliaCay0C0c0, General Manager at Melia Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Dear Customer,
Thank you very much for posting your review on your recent experience in our hotel. Yes, you are right, our standard accommodation is in need of modernization, some rooms more than others. As we have stated on previous answers, we started by our lagoon rooms but works will keep going to the standard accommodation. Reserving loungers around the pool area is not allowed according to our Hotel Policy. This area becomes very crowdy when windy days and peak occupancy, guests can not enjoy the beach area and there is not enough space for everyone around the pool. We have added more palapas, and have scheduled to make it more spacious according to a new project we have for the pool area. We have also noticed what you have stated about raw chicken kebab, and will certaily look after this. Safety practices are of utmost importance to us, so we especially look after these matters. We hope to see you again in the future. Please, send us your request for us to look after them with pleasure.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Attended my friends wedding here and had a two week holiday... FANTASTIC TIME, cannot wait to return, the staff are such friendly and warm people and nothing is too much trouble. The wedding was amazing, the setting was like a romantic film. I cannot wait to go back next year and take my daughter to see this Jewell of a destination. Thank you to the staff and management for making this holiday a special time. It has given me memories that will last a lifetime. Jorge in the dining room the gardeners and Heidi and the girls that waitressed on the outside terrace and Letita in the gift shop were special people and not forgetting George that served up the most amazing omlettes in the morning.

Room Tip: Room 7311 was quiet and looked out onto the Lagoon, every evening we sat out chilling on our patio t...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Sarah J

Dear Customers,
Thank you very much for sharing your special stay in our hotel with other readers. We are very glad to know we succeded on our efforts for providing our customers with the wedding of their dreams. Thank you for mentioning names, your message have been forwarded to them as acknowlegment for the level of service they provide. Do let us know what your booking details are when have rebooked to stay with us, we would be more glad in accommodating your requests.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

We travelled to Cuba 15th Feb for 2 weeks. started really well, until we got on transfer to be told the Melia Cayo coco was over booked, and we were taken to Melia Guillermo, as we didn't receive any notice by mail prior to leaving UK. Only stayed the night as we were off to Havana the next morning, then we were then told as we got to Reception, the flight to Havana had been cancelled. We were then told we had to travel there by bus, which took 11 hours with a driver who couldn't speak a word of English, and then almost left us at the wrong hotel. However we had a fabulous 3 days in Havana, which everyone that travels to Cuba should do! But don't go by bus obviously!
On returning to Cayo Coco which took 1 hour by plane we were then sent to our original hotel Melia Cayo Coco for the remainder of our holiday, which is amazing, food, drinks, staff, everything was fab. Must visit Pillar beach which is an open top bus trip for 5 pesos and takes 1.5 hours. Big mention to Mavi she was brilliant so was every one else, nothing is too much trouble, they can't do enough for you! We did get compensated for the overbooking, however Thomas Cooke need their act together, as they are messing people about and people are spending thousands of pounds and should expect to go where they have booked for and nothing less!
Big Thank you to all at the Melia CC , we will be back ASAP! Xx

Room Tip: We loved our room which was just off the beach, next door to the Cuban restaurant, which was so near...
4  Thank Franjacko
MeliaCay0C0c0, General Manager at Melia Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Dear Customer,
We are sorry because you were affected by our 15th of February overbooking. As I have previously explainned to other reviewers, this was an unfortunate mistake we made on our booking system on which we have accordingly actionned to make sure it do not happen again. Combining your stay in the Cayos with a tour to Havana City is a brilliant idea. I am very glad to know you truly enjoyed that 3 day tour. Thank you very much for announcing your return. Do send us your booking details for us to look after your stay with pleasure.