“Amazing hotel shame about overbooking!”
Review of Melia Cayo Coco

Melia Cayo Coco
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from our first visit to Cuba ! We were given 3 days notice that we were to spend our first 9 nights at the Melia Cayo Giullermo and the last 5 nights at our booked hotel the Melia Cayo Coco.The first 9 nights were a massive dissapointment. The food was terrible. My wife wanted to go home! The Last 5 nights were such a massive change. The food was Excellent and the staff, my wife now wants to go back? BUT will the Melia outbook us again? 70 people were outbooked!
Including Honeymoon couples. Terrific hotel but over booking and out booking MUST stop.
We feel really cheated.

• Stayed: February 2013
9  Thank Drew C
MeliaCay0C0c0, General Manager at Melia Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Dear Customer,
Our apologies for dissappointing you during your recent holiday vacation. The overbooking which affected you last month was caused by an error on our booking system, we then had to move all 15th of February arrivals for most of their stay to Meliá Cayo Guillermo. We are sorry to hear your stay there was not so enjoyable as it was here. We have taken the necessary steps to avoind this unfortunate mistake from happening again. Please, go ahead and make your booking to return. Then, send us an email with your booking details for us to look after a wonderful stay in Meliá Cayo Coco.
Santiago Innerarity

Write a ReviewReviews (6,339)

Reviewed March 7, 2013

This was my 7th time to Cuba, 1st time to Cayo Coco (Feb. 17th - March 3rd). I travelled with Sunwing, the flight was 8 hr's delayed & arrived at the resort close to 2am. Check in went smooth, the fellow working was helpful and took the time to explain things despite the time. A bell boy was available which surprised me & another couple as we fully expected to find our way in the dark. The bellboy went out of his way and opened all lights in my room even before I got in the door. The Sunwing Rep, Yiesel is a very nice & decent guy to deal with. I followed the reviews for over 6 months, up until the time I left and it is what it is. I want to comment on other things we sometimes don't hear about and think may be helpful when making comparisons.

A note about a new law passed in Cuba over the past 3 mths. & applies to all airports. No lighters are permitted past security (it will be confiscated, no questions asked) so if you're a smoker and want to take your lighter home, have your cigarette before you check in (lighters are permitted in checked luggage).

The weather in Cuba has changed over the past 10 yrs. with more wind. Some nights can get chilly especially if a cold front goes through, so it's always wise to take a thin sweater. You may not need it often but will be glad to have one if needed. Face cloths are not always found in the country so if you can't live without one, pack one. I used mine and after day 2, my maid consistently left me some with the towels. In my room, there was one 120 volt outlet in the bathroom, rest are 220 volt. At the last minute decided to take my voltage converter & glad I did. For whatever reason, got better power using it (have a hot air brush). If you have one, you may want to take it.

Now for the resort - booked a lagoon room & have no regrets! Stayed in Bldg. 51 (5121) which is near the end of the lagoon and ever so peaceful. A number of people on the ground floor took advantage and sunbathed on their decks - lower level balconys extend out more. The rooms do need a good renovation and updating however they are very spacious, comfortable & clean. There are no clock radios, instead a radio/CD player. I had many wake up calls & each one was always on time. Swipe cards for the doors & electronic safes mean no fiddling around with keys! There are no dressers however there is a shelving unit in the closet to put your clothes. There actually is a large umbrella, took mine to be on the safe side, next time I won't. I also took bug spray thinking I would need it by the lagoon - not one bite! Mini bar consists of 2 pop, 2 beer and replenished daily along with coffee/tea/water. The water is filtered and safe to drink from the tap however I chose bottled water due to stomach probs. I'm 100% beach person, yes it's narrow but I stayed on the right side which is a bit wider. No matter how busy it got, there are plenty of loungers & your guaranteed to get one - 1st time I've seen this. It's worth packing your snorkelling gear & fishing rod - handful of guys were always out fishing. The food is the best I've had in Cuba. I ate mainly in the buffet, large selection & the first time I never got 'sick of' the food going into wk. 2. The grill chef is fabulous and cooks things to perfection, the line up can get long but worth waiting for. The other food stations are equally as good. A must try is the banana crepe flambe for desert - fantastic & the lady who makes them is so sweat! The 2 waiters serving the outside buffet area (Arley & Roberto - not spelling his name right) are definitely experienced, very attentive & fantastic guys. Service at every level at the resort is excellent and I'm not sure how they keep doing it. Most only get one day off, it takes 2 hr's one way for many of them to get to work but they continue to be passionate. The new managers are doing a great job, repeats see the changes happening. The GM is all over the place, very interractive with guests which is nice to see - you generally never see these guys.The live entertainment goes from 6:30pm - 11pm; the Billiard Bar is fun & lively thanks to the bartenders; I went to the nightly shows & all well done, gym is decent & enough to get the blood flowing & night maids put alot of attention/care in my room regardless if I left them a tip. This is not a party resort, age range went from 30 - 60's. I was looking for peace, tranquility & solitude and that's what the Melia offered. The only reason I wouldn't return is if the price increased otherwise I will definitely go back in a heartbeat!

Muchas Gracias Santiago to you and ALL staff, front line & behind the scenes for working so hard, day in and day out!! I consider Cuba my 2nd home and it felt good to be home again after a 3 year lapse! See you again!! Debbie

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
15  Thank Alberta-Ukie
MeliaCay0C0c0, General Manager at Melia Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2013

Dear Customer,
WOW!!! You have posted such a lovely informative review! That would be as highly appreciated by other readers as we do. Thank you very much for every detail you provide, especially for your praises on our faciltities and services. Yes, lagoon rooms are being refurbished but those on bridge 4 and 5 have not been favored yet. Will be modernizing them from May onwards, so when you come back to your second home, you will certainly stay in one of them.
Looking forward to seeing you again,

Reviewed March 7, 2013

This resort is the best! We have travelled to Cuba about four years ago and this resort was leap and bounds above. Also, it is very close to the airport so our vacation started that much earlier!

We really appreciated the fact that it is an adult's only, which means that all of the entertainment is geared for adults. We especially appreciated the entertainment each night in the Lobby bar. The staff work really hard to keep you refreshed with drinks.

The food is the best we've had in Cuba, the beach barbeque is superb for lunch, fantastic cake available to help yourself to in the Lobby - lovely with a cup of coffee, the buffet is excellent - so much choice and great quality, even the pool snack bar was perfect - the best french fries ever!!

Our room on the lagoon was a little tired, but was very clean and was located in a great place close to everything. A must is the lagoon rooms, the sunset's from that side are spectacular, which can be viewed from the billiard bar as well.

Well done to all at the Melia, keep up the good work and see you again soon!

7  Thank Schlag

Dear Customer,
Thank you so much for your review. You are right, sunsets from the lagoon rooms are a unique experience! Ah, by the way, we have opened a new service at the International Restaurant, from which you can also enjoy a beautiful setting while having breakfast. This special service is available for the ones who get our VIP package, and has been highly praised by those who have already tried it. Thank you very much for your encouraging words, we will keep working in providing you with the best of our service.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Travelled to Melia Cayo Coco Feb 16-23.
Due to weather our flight out of Toronto was delayed 5 ½ hours – we arrived at the Melia at 2am rather than 8pm. 15 minutes from the airport which is a bonus.
I cannot say we received a warm welcome from reception. We were simply handed (and not with a welcome or smile) three forms to fill out. We were then directed to wait for assistance to our room. The gent that assisted with the bags was clearly not happy to be doing this at 2am – not a word (Spanish or otherwise), smile, etc.
Upon arrival in the room I noticed there was a towel on the sink that was clearly soiled – other towels appeared to be clean. Given the time we decided to sort it out in the morning. My husband and I began to unpack – our daughter wanted to sleep – went to climb into bed and noted the pillow case and upon pulling back the covers – the sheets were dirty.
I immediately called the front desk – told the night manager was on his way.
Waited 15 min (understanding this is Cuba) – called again – night manager not coming they are going to switch our room. My husband and I began repacking everything. Waited 15 min – nothing. Called again and advised no other room is available – can they come and change the sheets and they will switch rooms in the morning. I agreed (we are exhausted by this point) – advised housekeeping and the night manager were on their way. Waited 15 minutes – nothing. Called again – assured me they would be arriving within minutes. Three individuals arrived – housekeeper – a male(unknown title) and the young man who assisted with our bags. My husband inquired which one was the night manager – no one accepted the title. Sheets changed – off to sleep.
At 7:30am I went to reception to inquire of the room change. The person on reception was clearly aware of our situation – but offered no apology no nothing. They did however have a room that would be ready at 9am for us and I was told to return then to check on it. We did and the room, in the Lagoon was ready – the room was very very nice – totally renovated– beautiful bathroom and very clean. Nice balcony with two lounge chairs. While the customer service leading up to this change was terrible – we welcomed the change and were pleased.
Never did hear from/meet/speak to the Manager, which I found odd under the circumstances. Not very good customer service.
So, based on our not so good introduction – here are my observations.
Resort – a nice small resort – very well laid out and easy to get around. Clean and beautifully landscaped. The gardeners are spectacular – so friendly and they work so hard. Very appreciative of gifts – my husband brings them work gloves, caps, toiletries, shirts, etc. The gardeners are sometimes forgotten and they do such a great job.
Beach – have to say I was somewhat disappointed with the beach. It is really narrow – hardly any sand. Perhaps it was the time of year but I did not like that the water came up so high. The sand, what there was is soft, but it is too narrow. Kept very clean. Also it was extremely windy at the beach which did get annoying – eyes hair etc full of sand. Water was too rough all week to snorkel. The beach at Melia Santa Maria superior to this one.
Pool – great – never a problem getting chairs although some were saved as early as 7am. We would go to the beach in the am and the pool in the pm (due to the wind) never an issue getting chairs.

Food – loved the food. Thought it was really really good. Fresh fruit, vegetables (salad bar), fish, chicken, pasta, stir fry etc. They had garlic and seasoning which was nice! Even had sushi one night which was really good. Fresh squeezed OJ every morning – can’t beat it! Great ice cream, cheese, smoothies and of course bananas flambé.Went to the International and Cuban Restaurant – both very good - Snack bar food average. The Cuban BBQ on Wednesday at the beach was very good - fish, lobster and Paella. Excellent.
Unfortunately they don’t seem to be familiar with food preparation for semi vegetarians. My daughter does not eat red meat – will eat chicken and fish. However the pasta bar uses the same ladle for both the meat sauce and the tomato sauce so she could not have sauce on her pasta. Additionally they use the same bowls, pans, etc when preparing omelets which contain ham – so this too limited her breakfast choice. Obviously we managed – just an observation.
Entertainment – did not go to any shows but thought the nightly talent in the lobby was great and very enjoyable. Entertainment staff around the pool were super – especially Pepe-what a character he is-wears a different animated hat every day-so entertaining; and there was another young lady with short dark hair – always smiling and very engaging. Alex also was amazing! They work incredibly long days and keep smiling and make everyone's time there fun! There could have been more music around the pool though as it was way too quiet. Always something going on in terms of entertainment – they do a great job.
Bar – Disappointed in the drinks – no variety of liqueurs (Amaretto, Grand Marnier, Drambuie etc) Have been to other Cuban resorts and these have been available. Also, disappointed the bar staff never offered to mix or introduce a tropical drink of sorts. I requested a Miami Vice and was told they didn’t have the ingredients to make it…. The bar staff were not very engaging. Really missed having a pool bar – don’t like having to go into a snack bar (dripping wet) to get pool side drinks. There was chair side service but that was far a few between. If there can’t be a pool bar then put up a tropical tikki hut or something.
Service – Disappointed. I know I read how wonderful the service is however this was a big let down for us. At the buffet the tables are set for two. We were three and continually had to wait for an extra place setting each morning and evening. I actually sat with my breakfast in front of me waiting for utensils. I received coffee after I finished my breakfast. Staff cater to those who are repeats or who have tipped generously which is unfortunate and terrible. In addition, I observed staff placing books on tables set for 4-6 to save it for patrons who tip. The table sat vacant while a group of 6 walked around looking for someplace to sit. Service at the buffet was not good for us – the chefs are good but the table service was terrible. I was very frustrated with the concept – set the table for four and remove the fourth place setting; or set some for three – we were not the only group of three!
Simply – they catered to repeat guests and gave no consideration to first time visitors.
Our Housekeeper was great – very clean – she was really friendly and left us towel art with fresh flowers daily. Nice touch!
Never did any of the excursions – can’t comment.
Paid for a 30min massage at the spa – it was simply okay – not great but a treat all the same.
Summary: Melia Cayo Coco is not a five star – closer to a 3. It definitely has an older population there – most over 60. We wanted an adult resort however found this one to be more senior. This was our 8th time to Cuba – not sure I would go back to this resort – was not one of my favourites.
Disappointed with the bar selection, service at the buffet restaurant and the beach and of course the dirty room upon arrival.

Room Tip: If you can get a Lagoon Room - of which they are limited - that is my advice! Won't be disappoin...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank KC2011

Dear Customer,
Our deepest apologies for not providing you with a 5* holiday vacation. Regarding your bad experience upon arrival, we are truly sorry and you can rest assure we have revised everything with the ones involved. We made a mistake on the system, and your room was declared ready when it obviously was not. Next morning we did what we thought was the best to compensate you for the inconveniences, a room upgraded to the lagoon section. We have also discussed with the staff your comments regarding bad attitude when serving you. We are astonished with this comment since we are getting compliments all the time about the high level of service they provide, but we truly appreciate you have taken your time to inform us about them, it is mainly based on our customers´ opinions that we better improve our services. We would finally like to take this opportunity to thank you for your positive comments on the food, maid service, gardeners. Your praises have been passed on to them to be acknowledged for their good work. We hope these unfortunate events do not interfere a future visit to our hotel. I would be very glad to meet you as well as looking after your stay just as you deserve.
Best regards,

Reviewed March 6, 2013

We started our holiday with a week tour of the real Cuba. We were met at the airport by our wonderful guide Alex and our very safe driver Joel and travelled down to Corpus Christi for one night,then to Santa Clara and Trinidad for two nights, Cienfuegos for one night and then finally Havana for 3 nights. In between all this we saw the real Cuba all very honestly descibed by Alex. What a different version of events to the ones reported back home. In between all this we visited an Indian Village, Crocodile farm, Swimming with dolphins, Nature Park and saw Cuba as it really is, and ending upin Havana which is really something else.
After Havana we flew to the Cayos and had a glourious week at Melia Caya Coco, it is difficult to imagine a more idyllic place, brilliant sunshine,white sand beaches, immaculate facilities, great food and first class service.
To be fair, this is not real Cuba and could be really be anywhere with the same climate, but a wonderful holiday both the tour and the hotel and we will be going back.

Room Tip: If you can afford it go for a Lagoon room.
2  Thank JohnH86Hull

Dear Customers,
You really made the most of your holiday vacations! Yes, many guests say that combined stays are a very good choice, and your review supports this statement. I am very glad to know we were the best complement to your vacation and truly enjoyed your time with us. Do send us an email with your booking details for your returning visit, we will be more than glad in accommodating all your requests.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

This was my third stay at this resort .I have noticed a great improvement since the last time I stayed there seven years ago. The management is new and these gentlemen are doing a terrific job. The food in the buffet was really good not to mention the wide variety.Everything met and exceeded our expectations. The a la carte restaurants were fantastic. All the service was excellent. Our lagoon room was very clean and impressive. Lets not forget the people who make everything happen, the staff. Over the years we have made many friends there. It was nice to see some familiar faces like Yamil, Omar, Peter Orlando, Azahrys, Rolando,and Philippe to mention a few. The people are the heart and sole of this resort and they certainly make your stay so much more enjoyable.We will be returning next year with friends.

Room Tip: Superior lagoon rooms are worth the extra money.
2  Thank Richard C

Dear Loyal Customer,
Thank you so much for your passionate review!
We know it is the staff, and all the priases published on this site are passed on to them. We are very grateful for their wonderful job. Thank you very mcuh for every time you choose us, and do send us an email with your details for us to look after your next break in Meliá Cayo Coco.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

We feel really cheated.

Room Tip: THIS IS FOR THE MELIA CAYO COCO They would be all ONES at the Guillermo! The rooms we had were firs...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank 65bernardc

Dear Customer,
Thank you very much for your generous review. We are so sorry because you were affected by our error on the booking system. Yes, we had to outbook some guests into the Meliá Cayo Guillermo because there was no other choice and truly apologize for this. Steps have been taken in order to avoid such unfortunate events happen again. Please, send us your booking details when you are booked into our hotel for a returning visit, we will be very glad to look after your stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Coco
#3 of 12 in Cayo Coco
TRYP Cayo Coco
TRYP Cayo Coco
#7 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to Melia Cayo Coco? Share your experiences!