“I miss this resort the minute I got on the bus to leave.”
Review of Melia Cayo Coco

Melia Cayo Coco
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Quebec
“I miss this resort the minute I got on the bus to leave.”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Wonderful romantic resort. At night there are little lanterns along the paths leading to the lobby.
My partner and I stayed in a second floor lagoon room. It was peaceful, clean and tastefully decorated. The whole resort was peaceful. There was tai Chi in the morning in the ZEN Garden with relaxing zen like music. This activity was alternated with stretching excersises again with nice music. The teacher laid out mats with towels and a flower for each participant. There was cool water with pineapple chunks and a refreshing wet napkin at the end of the course. The teacher was lovely, her name is Mabby. After the stretching I participated in the arts and handicraft course. I came home with necklaces I made myself with the help of the teacher and two paintings that I also attempted with help from the teacher. Lovely souveniers made by me. The buffet was the best I ever had. Better than any buffet in Punta Cana or anywhere else in Cuba. Fernando is the wonderful cook who always prepared everything to perfection. There was lobster, huge prawns, steaks, cheeses all tastefully laid out around the buffet. Everything was fresh, I loved the freshly made banana pancakes. In Punta Cana the food seemed like it came out of buckets. Not in this hotel, It was made just for the guests.
I enjoyed the eco tour with Alex. We went to different beauty spots around Cay Coco, one of them was a cave with little bats hanging from the ceilings. I enjoyed this resort and will be back as soon as I can.

6 Thank fishbowlQuebec
MeliaCay0C0c0, General Manager at Melia Cayo Coco, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Guests,
Thank you so much for your review on your recently enjoyed vacation with us. We are very glad to know you have a good impression from the new additions we have made in our entertainment program. Your nice comments on their performance have already been forwarded to the area manager, and they will be acknowledged for it. Do let us know when you have made your next booking to come back to our hotel we will be very glad to look after your stay again.
With best regards,
Santiago Innerarity

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,472)
  • Polish first
Ancaster, Canada
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We returned from a fantastic 5 day trip to Melia Cayo Coco last week. It was our first time to Cuba, and after our experience at this beautiful location, we will most definitely be back! I loved how relaxing this resort was, and the rooms were so quiet. We were lucky to have a room closest to the beach so you could hear the sound of the waves on the shore. The room was very large and extremely clean and yes our maid left a beautiful towel art with a handwritten note wishing us a safe trip home. All the staff that I encountered were the most pleasant and friendly people, very nice and they work so hard.

The beach was beautiful but for some reason during the first part of our trip there was alot of seaweed, but that was all cleared away after a couple days and the ocean water was crystal clear and beautiful. You could see your feet even in the deeper water, and the turquoise colour is breathtaking !

The food at this resort was top notch, and I enjoyed everything I tried. The buffet really was one of the best I have tried and I really enjoyed the international restaurant with their Tapas menu, as we got a taste of so many delicious dishes. The drinks served were excellent and the wine was great - even a bottle of imported wine was so inexpensive (5 pesos) , unbelievable.

The trip out to Pilar Beach was well worth it, and the double decker bus ride gave you a great view of the islands. The lobster lunch served there was probably the best lobster I have ever had - I strongly recommend trying it!

I must also comment on the airport (Darjines del Ray? not sure of spelling), but this airport was fabulous. We arrived via Westjet and were on our bus 10 minutes after landing and onto the resort. The trip home was also enjoyable as there are many shops/duty free/and a bar lounge to enjoy prior to going home. It was the easiest airport I have ever been through.

Overall this holiday was perfect, relaxing, quiet, fun, and so deserving of a return in the near future - I can't wait!

Room Tip: The beds are very hard, and I don't know if they can provide a mattress topper but I would sugge...
11 Thank Holiday10plus
Dear Guest,
We are quite glad to know your first experience in Cuba was a success, so that you are already planning to come back. Thank you very much indeed for your preference, we will make sure you have another enjoyable stay in Meliá Cayo Coco.
With best regards,
Caledon
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Although this was our fifth trip to Cuba it has been a while as we visited Jordan, Sharm El Shiek, Hawaii, Costa Rica and Panama since our last trip. Again we were reminded that if you want to visit a superior run resort you return to Cuba. We just returned from a wonderful week at Melia and although the wing was blowing and the surf was roaring we had a great time. Although the resort does not dazzle you like some of the more physically impressive resorts in Cuba it simply does everything perfectly. This is primarily due to the high quality of staff. Service is simply outstanding, from Carlos on the beach to William and Alex the Great in entertainment to Jorge Mantillo and Cancio in the buffet. The stay is stress free from beginning to end. The food was excellent and we preferred the buffets to the a la cartes. The ice cream is out of this world. There was a great variety to choose from. The beach is narrow and with the November winds churning up a major surf there was no opportunity to snorkel although the scuba boats went out each day. It was fun having the surf come right up under the beach chairs. No undertow meant it was safe to venture into the waves. We were in room 8921 right by the ocean so we turned off the a/c and left the balcony open so we could sleep to the pounding surf. The night time entertainment was outstanding with a different show each night. The magic show was worthy of Las Vegas. The main foyer served as a meeting ground with ongoing music from the piano and other assorted bands. There was a great variety of day time activities again due to the quality of staff. We would highly recommend this resort to anyone who wants a stress free vacation.

6 Thank Kotter49
Dear Guests,
Thank you so much for your review on your stay in our hotel, we are very glad to know it was an enjoyable one. As many other reviewers, you are right when state it is the staff our main credit, we are in agreement with you and are fondly proud of them. Go ahead and book your 6th time to Cuba, we hope to be on top of your list, would be more than happy in providing you with the best of our services.
With warmest regards,
Ottawa
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Our first trip to Cuba--this resort was chosen based on TA reviews, good price and ease of travel from our home city (direct flight). Easy bus ride from the airport to the resort.

Clean resort, friendly staff, good food with plenty of choices including the grill at the buffet. Drinkable red house wine. Lots of hot water in our room. As others have said the rooms are dated but not a deal breaker for us. It was very easy to change Canadian money at the front desk for CUC's for tips and purchases. We took the hop on/hop off bus to Pilar Beach--a fun afternoon but a windy ride on the upper open air level of the bus :)

We would definitely return if the price was right--no major complaints.

4 Thank MrsWeedy
Dear Guests,
We are quite glad to know your expectations, previously based on what other reviewers have posted on this site, have been met and you had an enjoyable vacation in our hotel. Thank you very much for taking your time to post your opinion. Please, send us your booking details and any request you may have for your next visit, we will be glad to accommodate them all.
With warmest regards, looking forward to meeting you,
Hitchin, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

Just got back from our first holiday to Cuba and the melia Cayo coco. We had the best time . Food choice at the buffet was wonderful and ate in the beach restaurant for a couple of BBQ lunches of fresh spit BBQ chicken and BBQ ribs. Service was brilliant in all the bars and restaurants . Dive centre on site v good and did a couple of dives on the calm days, saw a large ray, big lobster and a nurse shark. Staff really friendly. Partner went fishing with a guide for the day who was really great and he thoroughly enjoyed the day. Good mojitos ! Rooms basic but comfortable . If the hotel read this some of the bathrooms need updating and leave coffee and milk in the rooms please as you have to ask . We wanted a quiet time and this is what we got but the entertainment is there if you want it . There was all sorts going on , painting , fashion shows , nightly cuban dancing/bands and beautiful pianists in the lobby bar. A couple of the guests were unhappy about the noise going on till 2am one night (disco round the pool ) however we didn't hear a thing and had a really peaceful time. Also yes there was some loud music at the beach / pool on some days but there is always a quiet corner to be found somewhere . All the people who we spoke too were on thier 2/3/4 visit and we would definitely return. Cleaner great , gardners make you pretty birds and grass hoppers out of leaves, library in the sports centre where people leave old books so that was handy as I finished my book in a few days , the place had everything you need and the grounds were beautiful . Take mozzie spray though as they are hungry biters ! Came home with a few bites even though I sprayed !

• Stayed November 2012
5 Thank Cherrypoppie
Dear Guests,
Thank you very much for your review on your first experience in Cuba. We are very glad to know your stay in meliá Cayo Coco was very enjoyed. Our bathrooms are our main maintennace issue in our rooms but the good news on this is that we have already started with renovations. 60% of our lagoon superior rooms have been completed and 100% of our Suites and Junior Suites, also on the lagoon section. Refurbishing works will be re-started in 2013 favouring the rest of our lagoon rooms and part of the standard accommodation. Please, send us your requests for your next stay with us, we will be very glad to look after them.
With warmest regards,
Morden
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Just back from two weeks from 5th November. This was our first visit to Cuba and we're delighted to have picked the Melia Cayo Coco for this experience. What a wonderful hotel and the staff are outstanding. We were greeted with champagne which was served by several staff with huge smiles of their faces which made us feel very welcome indeed. They even put up a union flag for the British visitors! Our room was a junior suite which was a 30 second walk to the beach. The room was very spacious and tastefully decorated with a huge walk in shower. It houses a fridge which is replenished every day and there's a coffee machine with tea and coffee (upon request). The bathroom had a hairdryer which is sufficient for purpose and the management had thought of everything to make our stay as comfortable as possible. There was even an umbrella in the room for those rainy days which thankfully we only experienced once. We loved our daily cleaner as she made lots of animals from our towels and any item of clothing lying around and placed them on the bed. What a lovely touch.

There are three restaurants in the complex - International, Spanish and Carribean but even though we ate in all three, in hindsight we thought it wasn't necessary to visit them really as the buffet was excellent every day - my huge waistline is proof of this!

The swimming pool is large with lots and lots of sunbeds so no need to panic about where you're going to park yourself every day. If all the beds are taken then the beach is 1 minute away!

I travelled with my husband and my sister and her husband and we all agreed that this was the best holiday we've had. We put this down to the friendly staff, lovely food, great hotel, excellent trips out (speed boats are a must!), lovely Cuban people and a beautiful country. Oh and the hotel is for adults only! Bliss. An ideal place for a relaxing stress free stay.

I will however point out that Havanna is a 6-7 hour coach journey each way so it was disappointing to miss out on this trip.

Our regular waitress/barmaid was Annelise who is a lovely girl and made us laugh often. I'd also like to mention Pepe the coconut man - fantastic. How that man keeps his energy and enthusiasm is beyond me! There a lots of other members of staff who we were in regular contact but my memory of names isn't so good so I apologise for that. The entertainment staff are very endearing and not too pushy so if you say you don't want to get involved they will leave you alone straight away. A huge thankyou to all of them. They even came to the foyer to give us a hug and kiss before our departure. Never experienced that before.

One important tip - take plenty of mosquito repellent!

I have no negative comments to say about this hotel . Well done to the management and staff of the Melia. We'd go back in a heartbeat. Thankyou.

Room Tip: Junior suites are excellent
3 Thank PaulineHMorden
MeliaCay0C0c0, General Manager at Melia Cayo Coco, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Dear Guests,
Thank you so much for your detailed review on your first experience in Cuba. We are very glad to know we were your choice and will be again for your second visit to our country. We will make sure all our staff can read your comments, we know they are an asset to our hotel, and are proud of it. I am in agreement with you regarding Pepe, he is one of the best with extra energies and enthusiasm. Just make sure you let us know when you have made the arrangements for your next stay with us, we will be very glad to look after it.
Best regards,
Freddy Andersen
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 22, 2012

sorry its so long but this hotel is the best we been to we have been to mexico dom rep and jamica but this is the best all the staff are brilliant nothing to much trouble the pool is great the beach is beautiful its so a relaxing hotel we have decided to go back on the 4th of january for two weeks we would like the same room 8314 it was a lovely room the cleaners are very good at the job we have decided tgo again on the 10th of may next year as well all we want is the same room

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank julia p
Dear Loyal Customers,
Thank you for sharing your experience by posting your review on this site. Since we are not able to get your booking reference now, do send us your room request to our hotel email address for us to have it ready in January.
Looking forward to seeing you again,
Freddy Andersen