“Our special place away”

Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Toronto
“Our special place away”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

My wife and I just returned from our 3rd trip to Melia Cayo Coco (June 2012). As usually it was a fabulous vacation and we highly recommend this resort property especially if you are looking for a great beach, wonderful people (staff) and a quiet repose. Having stayed in both the lagoon rooms and the regular rooms, our preference is the regular room with its romantic canopy over the bed. The fresh fish is a delight every day and the paella and stir frys are very tasty. You won't be disappointed at Melia Cayo Coco.

Room Tip: Having stayed in both the lagoon rooms and the regular rooms, our preference is the regular room wit...
7 Thank MGMMToronto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,472)
  • Polish first
Toronto
Reviewed July 17, 2012

My Husband and I went to the Melia Cayo Coco for the first time. This was our 7th time to Cuba and we really enjoyed ourselves.
A week before we left I emailed the resort to ask for a specific type of room and received exactly what we wanted, steps from the beach and a quiet corner of the resort.
There was only one negative at this resort and it's the main bar, service there is atrocious. You're completely ignored unless you tip.
The rest of the resort is amazing, service is "A1" everywhere else. Very friendly staff, food was really good, lots of variety, especially the vegetables and fruits, best in Cuba so far.
Peter and Julio at the beach bar and restaurant respectively are the best, always have a smile and great service.
The Pool restaurant staff are amazing, the best of the lot as far as I'm concerned, they are really efficient.
The best front desk we've ever encountered. Never had to wait to exchange money, check in was great. Had a problem with being short 1 towel in our room. We were going to the main bar anyways so my husband went to tell them, it was taken care of within seconds.

Went to all 3 A'la cartes, really enjoyed the International, hated to Italian and the Steakhouse was ok, water was warmer than the soup but the steak was good.
Buffet was really good, never went hungry. The breakfasts were great, good eggs and omelets. Had the banana pancakes a couple of times, never had any line ups for fresh food while we were there. Fresh OJ every moring "great". Loved the croissants there, really buttery, light and crispy. Didn't partake in any deserts, too full!!!! Loved the servers at the buffet, by the third morning they already knew how you took you coffee, and were right there to top you up.

Mini bar was stocked every day with no issues, room was really nice. Maid did a pretty good job, no better or worse than any other resort we've been to.

In closing we really like the Sol/Melia hotel chain and will continue to book with them. I would recommend this resort to anyone. We really enjoyed it and will be back.

Room Tip: Email the resort ahead of time for a location of your chosing, they will definitely do their best to...
9 Thank Dobelover
Canada
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Everything about this hotel was excellent. My girlfriend and I switched to this hotel from Playa Coco, which was a total dump.

The food here is excellent, the rooms are beautiful and clean, the grounds are very well kept. The restaurants are really incredible, even the buffet is excellent.

The entertainment at night was top notch. Amazing dancing and shows that offer real entertainment, not some of these stupid "make fun of the audience shows" like you get at other hotels because they have no real program.

The staff is quick and friendly. At some hotels a lot of people have trouble being friendly or even speaking English, but not here.

The Spanish ownership is probably what keeps this place running to a T.

Seriously the additional price that you pay to go to this hotel makes it more than worth it.

We would definitely consider coming back here again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank David W
Bradford
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Went to mcc on the 29th of June for 2 weeks check in fast cold face towel and drink on arrival excellent service excellent food met some great friends angie and Steve there wear getting married there there asked us to be there witness for them we also met Mark and Tracey Gary and angie what a laugh we had we will go back this hotel the hospitality we got was first class and service outstanding went on a few trips speed boats a must the worst thing about this hotel was leaving thank you to all the staff that made our holiday xx

Room Tip: We had room 9271 which is close to everything
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lesleym583
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2012

My wife and I arrived from Scotland on the 28th June having visited Cuba 2 years ago. Previously visited Guardalavaca, and loved it and thought we would go for Cayo Coco for a change of location. Chose the Melia as we stayed in the Melia in Havana on our last visit and loved the quality of hotel. This Hotel did not dissappoint.

Hotel
Setting is lovely and is the best in the area having visited both the Sol Cayo Coco and Tryp. (you receive a wrist band from the reception if you want to visit local hotels but we actually had a gander around them without and weren't confronted) We had a standard room, no 7213, set in the garden area, ground floor, which was adequately sized and had no problems with the room throughout. The beds are firm which, I noted, several Canadians found to be a bit too firm. They're fine. You are in Cuba so please don't base your expectations on European 5 star hotels. Cuba is improving it's standard of hotel but we hope it doesn't lose it's unique attitude and friendliness to visitors. Second to none. No cockroaches to be seen but this year was bad for mozzies and sand flies so take a good repellant with you. The gardens are lovely and constantly maintained by a bunch of friendly gardeners(we gave the boys a few tins of beer from our mini-bar as it was roasting, and to be honest, you can drink as much as you want in the varous bars so we seldom drank our allocation of beer. The water was used regularly though.

During our stay between the 28th June and the 12th July we noted a lot management attendance on site with an increase in maintainance throughout. Management also regularly visited the buffet where they ate and inspected the fare. This gave visitors a great deal of confidence in the hotel but I'm sure must have made the staff a wee bit nervous.

Please look out for the humming bird which nests in the vines hanging above the reception area. Beautiful.
Often get little visitors in the lobby area but you'll find out for yourself when you get there.

Bars
We used the lobby bar most evenings where Ishmael, the Pianist, entertained everyone most nights. A great musician who on one occasion had a listen to one of the visitors MP3 songs. Adele, and played it perfectly straight after. The waitresses there are very good with special mention for Yanelis (Yanna), and Beatriz (Betty). Thanks girls. Various Cuban musicians visited the lobby bar and encouraged dancing throughout. Magic. The Billiard Bar, on the edge of the lagoon is actually is a bit more casual but just as nice. Doesn't have such a big selection of premium brands but who needs it when you have some good Havana Club, 2, 3, 5 and 7 year old. Before you try the Havana, try the Mulata. It's a local rum of good quality and a match for the 5 yo Havana. Order a Cubata which is a Mulata and Coke(Peter, the barman at the beach bar got me onto this on my first day. Well worth the 1 peso tip). 1st class. Don't go to Cuba without trying the rum either on it's own or in a cocktail, you will regret it if you don't.

Reception
When we arrived, we were met by the lobby staff handing out champagne, and refreshing towels. What a great start to the holiday. Reception staff were 1st class and very friendly. You can get your English Sterling changed into CUC, convertible pesos there. Ask for 1, 3 and 5 peso notes. You can, as mentioned get your, wrist band here too. The reception staff also give you an open line for phoning home from either the lobby or your room but note this costs you about 5 pesos per min. Dial 8844 for UK, but omit the 0 in the standard dialling code when dialling.

Restaurants
Please ignore reviews which criticise the food and restaurants in this hotel. Having been to good hotels in the Dom Rep, Riu Hotels in Riviera Maya, and Sol Hotels in Guardalavaca you will find the buffet choice is excellent with the fresh cooked selection fantastic. The a la carte retaurants include an Italian, Carribean (which acts as the grill during the day) and the International which is more of a tapas with 6 courses which covers many tastes. The lobster thermador is superb. I think you'll find that most complaints or criticism come from those who don't like seafood as half of the selection is shrimp, salmon and lobster. This is still a top quality restaurant so try the food and if there's something you don't like, as my mother used to say, leave it at the side of your plate.But do try it. You book your a la carte sittings at the snack bar near the pool, but I would advise you to do this the day after your arrival as they book up quickly.

Snack Bar
The snack bar by the pool is open 24/7, and although at night time the selection is limited, when you have the munchies, it's ideal for a toast, chips, pizza or all 3.

Pool
The pool is large and looked good, but due to the quality and beauty of the beach, we didn't enter the pool once. The sea breeze at the beach meant we weren't frazzled. Lots of sunbeds so don't bother about booking then by dumping towels on them. Some did this but it really is a bit stupid when there are so many about.

Beach
Fantastic. They say that Pillar Beach, about an hour away, is one of the top 10 in the world. I don't know how on earth the Cuban beaches can be compared as our beach was superb, and having been to Pillar beach and Esmerelda beach in Guardalavaca cannot say which one is best.
Bring some bread to the beach and feed the fish which swim near the waters edge. Take your camera and some spare memory cards, you'll need it. Get a coconut filled with rum, ice and a mixer on the beach for a donation of 1 peso. Brilliant, cooling and one for the photo album. If you have any really dodgy fancy hats take them with you to give to the "coconut man", he wears them as he pours your drink.

Visitors
On our visit there were a large contingent of Canadians, British, some French, Brazilians, Argentinians, but all exceptionally friendly. I don't know if it was just the holiday feeling, but everyones spoke to each other and every one got on very well. I have come home with a lot of e:mail addresses and facebook contacts and have a heck of a lot of new friends to keep in touch with.

Tipping
On holiday you tend to get into a bit of a routine and in doing so, tend to tip the bar staff, waitresses, animation staff that you are in contact with regularly. A peso every now and again really makes no difference to the staffs attitude to you as all clients are treated the same. Tipping doesn't curry favour but it makes you feel a bit better in doing so. The monthly take home is about 15pesos and from what I could see, tips are put into a pot for distribution later.

Entertainment
There were regular nightly shows which my wife found were well choreographed but a bit repetative. I found the social aspect of the holiday more of a priority but did visit a few of the shows including the Retro which was very well done indeed.

Activities
The animation staff were 1st class in getting people involved with the dancing, pool volley ball, archery and shooting. They were not overly pushy or insistent on you taking part but with a little bit of encouragement and banter had many up doing salsa lessons on the beach and at one point we had about 12 at the archery and air gun taget shooting.

Excersions
We only did one excursion as we had visited Havana on our last visit and a 6.5hr bus journey was not our idea of a holiday but many at the hotel did the trip and loved it although they found the journey a tad long. The catamaran trip we did was first class with some great reef snorkelling. The supplied kit is pretty poor quality so would take my own kit next trip. The speed boat trip is also a cracker so attend the welcome visit to get the heads up.

Spa
Didn't try the Spa but 3 folks who we met did, and loved it, so the score below is based on their comments.

Conclusion
Having met several people from differnt countries all of whom have been to the Melia on several occasions suggests the standard of this hotel is very consistent. My own conclusions from my 1st visit suggests I will be returning, if not next year then certainly the year after, as we both loved it from the start of the visit to the very end. We ended up in a rather large group which clicked from day one and this I feel was helped by the friendliness of the hotel staff throughout.
The electrical storms we witnessed were amazing to see, aspecially at night with forked lighting streaking across the sky. Sometimes with rain, sometimes without but it didn't spoil a minute of our stay. Temperatures during the fortnight didn't drop below 30deg and with Scotland having 2 weeks of rain during our visit our holiday was all the more sweeter.

Go, you will love it.

Graeme

Room Tip: Travellers with walking difficulties should ask for a ground floor but there are ramps in all areas.
8 Thank Campbeg2
London, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I was a solo traveller to Cuba for the first time. I chose Melia based on recommendations from friends and for it being 'adult only'. Cuba is unlike any other caribbean island - the staff are so friendly and hospitable and the settings at Melia are gorgeous. The grounds are tended to constantly by very friendly gardeners always willing to stop to pick a flower for me, or give me something made from leaves. The staff in the buffet restaurant were all wonderful - knew my drink orders after day 2. The beach bar and billiard bar are both excellent and the grill on the beach for lunch is wonderful! I tried 2 of the 3 A La Carte restaurants (not the Italian) and I still preferred the buffet. Any meat and fish cooked to your heart's content was offered. The Cuban sweet potatoes were to die for! I had a 2nd floor room, which was quite spacious and enjoyed the mini bar being stocked daily and being so close to the beach and pool. The next time I travel without my children, I will definitely go back to Melia Cayo Coco! I don't think I could be happy anywhere else!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
11 Thank CdnMeliaGirl
Lancashire
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Stayed at the MCC for one week from 22nd June after spending a week doing the Thoma Cook Classical Cuba Tour.

Our check in was quick and efficient carried out by a very friendly lady who appologied for her English (which was excellent). We were given a cool towel to freshen up but not a welcome drink which we had been given in all the other Cuban Hotels we had visited. We arrived at the hotel about 10.30am and was told by our tour guide we may have to wait util 4pm for a room as this is officially check in time. Luckly we didn't have to wait and were taken with our cases on the little electric train / truck to our room.

I had asked for a upper floor room at reception and were allocated 7324 which was about central for everything. The room was large although quite dated, as was the bathroom, but was clean and comfortable with an enormous bed and large balcaony with table and chairs. The fridge was re-filled each day with beer, juice and water and the aircon worked fine, although a little noisy when on max. We got a call later in the evening from Customer Services to ask if everything was ok which it was.

After doing the weeks tour we had just come to relax and that is exactly what we did. The beach was lovely with clear blue sea and plenty of sun loungers and shade, although I'm not sure if these would be adequate in high season. We didn't use the pool but it looked nice and inviting and never too busy. We got drinks from the either the Pool Bar to take to the beach or used the Beach Bar.

The food at the buffet restaurant was excellent for both choice and quality at all meal times and drinks were served to your table throughout your meal. There were numerous chefs cooking fish, meat, pasta and stir frys to order and we never had to wait very long. Likewise at breakfast you could order an omlette, fried eggs, pancakes or smoothies prepared as you liked as well as having the choice of cerials breads, ham, cheeses, bacon, sausage etc. We didn't try any of the al a carte restaurants as we enjoyed the buffet and was only there for a week.

In the evening we tended to sit under a gazebo in the garden at the side of the Lobby Bar and just enjoy listening to the music / piano, sipping a Pina Colada and chilling out. But there was also a nightly show with separate bar area and a pool / sports bar which seemed a bit livlier.

Didn't do any trips as we had done the tour but there were several trips offered at the tourist office. There were also a couple of shops, an internet cafe and a Drs surgery on site. The gardens around the resort were beautiful and tended daily by the friendly gardeners who always spoke and had a cheery smile for us despite working in the very hot sun.

As for tipping we did this at the end of our holiday and didn't feel we were ignored (as one reviewer stated). We tipped a couple of the chefs, our housekeeper and a couple of the waitresses who had served us our drinks at meal times. We found that almost all of the staff around the resort were always friendly and didn't feel the need to tip for every drink etc. We only had one small issue during the week and that is when one of the spotlights in the bathroom fell out of the ceiling and was dangling on a wire. We reported it at reception on our way back from breakfast and literally after 5 mins of being back in the room the maintenance man arrived and fixed it with a follow up phone call from reception later in the day to check it had been dealt with. Couldn't ask for better service than that.

The only thing wrong with our stay at the Melia is that it wasn't long enough! We both enjoyed it very much and hope to return again soon and perhaps do the trip to Moron and boat trip for snorkelling. Loved the chilled, relaxed feel of the place and it was a lovely end to our first visit to Cuba.

17 Thank LillyU7