“Good trip for those looking for a place to relax”
Review of Iberostar Mojito

and 1 more site!
Iberostar Mojito
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Ontario, Canada
“Good trip for those looking for a place to relax”
Reviewed January 27, 2010

We stayed at the Laguna side. Check-in was very fast and we were driven to our room along with our bags. We stayed in room 1121. It was a 2nd floor room and was very clean, had as much hot water as we needed and 2 of the 4 or 5 outlets were north american friendly.

I first wanted to address some of the complaints from other reviews I have read.
to the people complaining that there are no activities for their kids, next time you should look at signs, the hotel map or even their website. There is a daily kids club, a kids pool (part of the kids club), and a games room with, you got it, a kids club. Give your heads a shake and open your eyes!! Aside from that, if you don't want to be with your kids, save some money and leave them at home.
Our room was very close to the lagoon. very rarely did we ever catch a faint odour from the lagoon and that was when we were walking on the boardwalk. Anyone complaining about the smell were milking that one.
The cats stayed in one area near the emperador buffet only. They did not beg for food at all. I have stayed at first class 5 star resorts that had cats. Why do people get bothered by this? Welcome to a different culture.
I find it offensive when people say "The Canadians" are rude and complain. When 95% of the guests are Canadian (half french), there's a very good chance that the people that complain will be Canadian. Rudeness is Universal and an entire country's people should not be held to blame for poor parenting.
Several reviews mentioned the beach being too crowded. We went there most days at peak time and had no trouble picking out a place under one of the huts.

The Food
Aside from Breakfast, finding something good to eat is not a problem.
The Laguna buffet had the better selection for breakfast, but breakfast was very lacking. The scrambled eggs were mushy and tasted like peanut oil. After the 2nd day, I resorted to toast and cereal for breakfast.
Lunch and dinner were best at the Emperador buffet. some things were similar every day but there were always different things to choose from. We left full and satisfied every time. The strawberry and chocolate ice cream were delicious as long as kids didn't put the scoop from one to the other.
We had 3 a la cart dinners. The steak house, italian and cuban. We had no complaints about any of them. The cuban was by far the bet though. The mango sauce pork was amazing and the shrimp cocktail was the best i have had.
I had one bad experience and I must tell everyone to inspect their chicken before they eat it. I had some chicken at the emperador buffet that was in smaller breast pieces. I ate the first piece without looking. I cut the second piece in half and discovered that it was completely raw on the inside, not a little pink, RAW. I brought it to the waitress' attention and she told me I had to go tell the kitchen myself. I thought that was a little odd that she wouldn't do it herself, but I went ahead and showed them. They just looked at it, told me it was chicken, dumped it in the garbage, and walked away. Scary. Luckily the first piece was cooked because neither of us got sick at all during the trip.
The pizzas are made with goats cheese. you may be in for an unpleasant surprise if you bite into one expecting cows cheese.

Absolutely no complaints about the housekeeping, tip them 1 or 2 pesos per day and they will take care of you.
Service at the buffets was hit or miss. Some servers looked after us very well, where others stood around and watched us get our own drinks and cutlery. There were 3 or 4 times that we didn't leave a tip due to lack of service. We are in our mid to late 20's so perhaps they didn't think we would tip so they ignored us. One night, the waiter served drinks to everyone except us. He would walk past our table to collect his tip off the other tables and clear off dirty dishes rather than get us drinks and collect a tip from us. (can you tell I own a restaurant yet?). That was my only frustration with the trip. The other reviews truly are accurate about service.
We would go for after dinner drinks at the Laguna lobby bar every night. My girlfriend's favourite drink is a strawberry daiquiri and no bar at the resort would make her one dispite the fact that it was printed clearly on their drink menu. They would not make me a mojito either. If you aren't fans of either of those drinks, you will do fine. They do, however, give very generous portions of alcohol.

if you were wondering, there is NOT a mini bar in your room. There is a bar fridge for you to keep your daily bottle of water but aside from that, it is empty.

The beach is amazing, just as everyone else has said. it is a long beach but not very wide. When it is high tide, there is not much room to walk without getting your feet wet.
Good/bad news for the guys, good - only one old leather bag topless woman the whole week....bad - that was the only topless woman the whole week.

This resort is Great if your plan is to relax and enjoy the beach or pool. it is not great if you like to go on lots of excursions. The island is remote and aside from the snorkeling/diving, you have to go on 1 or 2 day trips to do anything.

We returned home feeling refreshed and satisfied dispite some colder days.
We are undecided if we would go back only because other destinations would have more to do, not because of anything negative about the resort.

contact me if you have any questions

8 Thank TheVacayer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (603)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
montreal , canada
Reviewed January 25, 2010

HOLA ! just came back from a great trip with friends David and Joyce Blair . We also met a great couple , Dan and Marie-Louise McCormick from Sutton , Que .Flew Air Canada and stayed at NH Krystal in Cayo Coco Cuba . REception was fast and a bell boy drove us to our rooms and brought our luggage up . We have been there 11/12 times and have stayed in all their facilities , villas, Laguna and Emperador sides . The best ? We like the junior suites but they are all big rooms and comfortable . They have a safety deposit box in the room , a mini fridge , and 2 big king size beds . Beach towels are available but if you lose them a 20 pesos charge will apply to your bill . Money exchange is available at the hotel and at the airport . The bank is open from 9.30am. to 5.00pm. For $100.00 Cdn. you get 80 pesos . You have water in your fridge every day .Kids club is open from 9.30am. to 5.00pm. There is a cigar lounge on the water .Medical services is available 24 hours . The a la carte restaurants are La Piazza ( Italian ) ,El Malecon ( seafood ) , El Pincho ( steak ) , El Gallo ( Cuban ) , El Crucero ( v.i.p. ) . Reservation is required for these restaurants . They have 2 buffets restaurants which opens at 7.30am. You can have breakfast , lunch , and supper .They have a grill bar/ restaurant at the beach, open from 10.00am. and close 3.00pm. and another grill/restaurant on the Laguna side near the reception which opens 24hrs. The 2 main lobby bars are open 24hrs. Internet is available on Laguna side for $6.00 pesos an hour ( very slow ) . The disco opens at 11.00pm. and close at 2.00 pm. They have shows every night and the dancers are great . You can go snorkeling very close by , and scuba diving . Fre activities include , paddle boat,catamarang, aerobics,salsa lessons,many pool games,water polo, the game room , bicycle riding . Your tour rep. at the hotel will tell you about the different tours available . Cubans are great people , mix with them . Cuba is a safe place . Bying cigars from the locals is risky . They could be taken from you at the Cuban customs ( which happend to our friends ) . If you need more info , e-mail Sheila & Don at sheilaboucher@sympatico.ca

6 Thank bremag
Wakefield, Quebec
Reviewed January 25, 2010

We had a wonderful stay at the NH Krystal. The staff were very pleasant and helpful if you know how to ask, and treat them with respect! The gardeners were always happy to see you in the morning, lots of "my friend"... and some even gathered some coconuts from the trees for us on the beach. We ate some fantastic meals at the El Gallo, Marcos was the best watter you could ask for there!! We did the boat/snorkel/Pilar beach excursion and it was not that impressive. The service at the Pilar beach was really slow (maybe just an off day) and our beach back at the hotel was just as nice as this one. The snorkeling in the mangrove canal took a whole 15 minutes, but with lots of fish to see. The boat ride consisted of turning round and round in the bays, something we do here but overall, it was not so bad for the price, something to do on an off day. We did two scuba dives, and those were amazing. The instructors were really pleasant, Usbaldo for the first dive was cool and sympathetic, and the other (can't remember his name) for the second day was a real bad dude, in a good way!!! Saw a sting ray, a baracuda, a Mooray Eel and thousands of colorful fish, big and small (bring bananas and you'll not be dissapointed). The hotel beds were very comfortable, the maids always making towel art everyday and keeping the place tidy with the fridge replenished as well. The beach grill had amazing fish to eat and some to feed as well in the laguna. Overall very nice and recommendable to people who are not too picky and know how to appreciate good service. When in Cuba, relax, enjoy the beach, appreciate the service and the time away from the cold.

3 Thank Counne
Canada
Reviewed January 23, 2010

We got back from one week at NH Krystal, which is comprised of 2 resorts combined. We stayed on the El Emparador side (I don't know if that's how it's spelled). The resort is very big, lovely to just walk around and explore. The beach can be found down the end of a boardwalk, so if you want to be right on the beach, this isn't the place. I found the walk to be short and very nice. The poolside was just as terrific. The whole resort was very clean and well maintained, good water pressure in shower, the staff was extremely kind and accommodating. They don't cheap out on the mixed drinks either - wow! Muy booze! We had beautiful weather every day, and I can still feel the powder white sand on my feet. The water was turquoise and crystal clear, and beach activities were mostly all included in our all inclusive pkg. I have read people complain about the food, but I loved every meal including the buffet - the food was always fresh and tasty! If you go, bring an outlet adaptor in case you want to use your curling iron, or electric shaver, otherwise the bathrooms have hair dryers there already. Also, close your windows at night as there are mosquitos on the laguna, and they bite!!! I'd go back there in a heartbeat.

7 Thank Madria52
Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed January 21, 2010

Lets make this clear, this hotel is excelent its not the type of 5 star you get in the UK but you are in CUBA people!
There is a lot of negative reveiws about this place and it is not nessary, you will find the people that didnt have a good time didnt tip or were rude to the staff.
This tends to be the Canadians, absolutly no manners and very demanding!

A few things you will need to remember to take with you.

There is no snacks on site, if like us your hangover calls for crisps then take some with you or snacks in general, and decent tea bags! Cuba cant do tea.

I cant stress this enough, take a jumper and long trousers when it gets windy its gets freezing, all the bars are open and exposed so to be able to sit for a drink you will need your warmers.

No matter what anyone says the massage onsite is amazing, it is two males it and some people when i was there started rumors about them being to touchy this is not the case these men are professionals its more than there jobs worth to touch up tourists.

Watch the cheese its from goats!!!!!!!!

Do come here thinking you are going to see the real Cuba you are very cut off and remote, this is for chilling by the pool not for big adventures.

Hands down the prettiest beach i have ever seen!

Lastly, be nice to the staff they are lovely they work very hard and never seem to get frustrated, make sure you tip some little gifts for the maid helps too.

hello to all the friends we made, we had a great time with you guys!!!
have a nice holiday!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank smellymelly1984
Ottawa
Reviewed January 21, 2010

First off, I would like to say that this was my first time in cuba and down south in general. I went there with reasonable expectations, and having done a lot of research.

Here are my comments:

LOCATION: Cayo Coco was built for tourists. There is nothing much there other than the hotels and bussinesses catering to the tourists. I found the area to be very nice and clean. The beaches were amazing, and the wilderness is beautiful. The fact that no one other than tourists and Staff were allowed in Cayo Coco made me feel very safe. The airport in Cayo Coco is very small but was very efficient letting us in. On the way out there was a bit of a wait.

HOTEL GROUNDS: I found the resort to be very beautiful. A lot of pools, palm trees, bars, hammoks, etc.... Taking a walk at night is quite beautiful.

ROOMS: Very large and clean. Small TV and Remote doesnt work. Also not a lot of channels, only CNN and Disney in english. One beef I had with the rooms was the room service. I didn't like the fact that the maids wouldnt put a new bar of soap every time they cleaned the rooms. Do they expect a couple to make a small bar of soap last them an entire week. I think it was hotel policy not to give them out, and I had to ask for them specifically everytime. So, I recommend that you bring body wash with you on your stay. Also, a couple of times the maids forgot to leave me a bottle of water. Another complaint was loosing water on the resort on two consecutive days for about 3 hours. I didnt make a big deal out of it since these things happen. But readers be cautios if you notice it becoming a trend.

STAFF: Some are good, some are bad. I found the people at reception to be very rude and unhelpful, plus they don't speak english besides the very basics. I find that a bit strange since they would have to interact with customers the most. Bartenders are helpful, so are waiters and waitresses. But one thing that I did not like, although I understand, is that they expect and demand a tip rather than being thankful for it. On numerous occasions we were bluntly asked for one. I think we tip well, but it can get ridiculous sometimes. My advice is budget enough money for tips, but practise restaint, and tip when you feel it is deserved.

FOOD: I know a lot of people have a problem with the food, and I agree it is not that great, BUT, I had already been aware of that from other postings, and I was not expecting good food in Cuba. Honestly, it is not that bad. You will always find something to eat. They do not have a wide variety of vegetables, and the beef is very chewy, but there are plenty other options. For breakfast you can have a feshly made omellete, pancakes, fruits, deli meats and cheeses. I found the bread to be very good. For lunch I didnt eat much, maybe a salad and some fries or a pizza. For dinner, you can choose from chicken fahitas, fish, shrimp, etc... The A la carte restuarants are not that much of an improvement. I found the cuban to be the best - order the lamb. In conclusion, you will always find something to eat, and you wont get sick of the food till maybe after a week.

ENTERTAINMENT: I really didnt bother attending any. I know there are shows every night, but I was exhausted every time from very long days at the beach or on excursions. There are live bands in the lobby and in the restuarants, that is nice. At the pools they do activities, I opted out again, I got some sun and read a book.

EXCURSIONS: I went on the following, please pay attention when choosing your excursion because a lot of activities overlap, so u dont want to pay for 2 excursions and end up doing the same thing:

1- Spa: Honestly a joke. Massage was more like someone petting you. And the outside pools are dirty and not that warm. It was really a shame because the location was amazing and it could have been done much better.
2- Catamaran: I highly recommend it. Nice boat ride, and the fishes are beautiful. Half a day is probably more than enough - i dont see why someone would do the full day.
3- Jeep ON: A full day really. Speed boats and snorkling in the morning, visitng Moron, then going upto a mountain top with a view. Then onto a crocodile farm. I know this is probably the most expensive excursion but you actually save because it encompasses many of the activities that are given as seperate excursions.
4- Horse Back Riding: Not really an excursion, but a really fun activity for 10 pesos. Highly recommend it if you want to kill sometime.

Final thought; I had a great time, it is a good deal if you get it for under a 1000. Keep an open mind and you will have fun.

7 Thank OttawaDude
Essex, UK
Reviewed January 21, 2010

Christmas morning I was excitedly presented with a surprise week holiday at this resort form my boyfriend. I had never been "whisked" away before and was hoping that it was going to be a peaceful, stress-free week away with sun, sea and Sangria Well you can forget the Sangria at this place unless you like sickly- sweet syrupy cocktails, with numbers listed on the bottle instead of ingredients.
When we arrived at Krystal Villas we were warmly greeted by the reception staff and we received our prison tags…sorry…wristband.
We were then escorted by Ashley, to our rooms who was very gracious and helpful. We were pleased about the cleanliness and size of the room and the fridge and water provided.
The first meal was something of a revelation and should have warned us about the rest of the week. The selection only being chicken, pork or a hot dog with chips. The chips had been reheated from the lunch (or the day before- it was hard to tell) and the meat was about the same as school dinners used to be. I think I could have made a pair of boots out of it. The chips remained reheated throughout the week.
Not put off though we went back to the room and had a peaceful sleep.
The next morning we awoke to find NO WATER ATALL. Having read some reviews on here first and expecting there to be limited hot water we tried to remain positive, but we were left without water for over three hours. When ringing the reception staff to enquire about it, we were greeted by a very sharp response "We know- the whole hotel is without it." We had no water for two more times on the holiday and no hot water on most days.
We also had a power cut for a short while, but this is to be expected.
Resigned and unwashed we went to the beach for the day and were surrounded by the beautiful clear sea and white sand- Here there was nothing to be stressed out over.
The meals throughout the holiday were much the same as the first night. If you like re heated chips stale bread it is perfect. We understood that they rely heavily on local produce but the food wouldn't have tasted so bitter, had the service been a little sweeter.
It appeared to us that any request however small was greeted with a heavy heart. Don't get me wrong there were exceptions and some of the staff bent over backwards for you, but finding them was difficult. The reception staff were not any better and on one occasion we not given information about a local bus that stops at all the hotels on the island, which we then found out later about from another holiday maker.
The bank in the hotel was shut for a lot longer than the sign said and changing money at the reception desk was a chore rather than an easy transaction. It felt as though the majority of staff just could not be bothered with us. My partner and I were polite and smiled at every occasion, and gave tips where we felt appropriate. Yet we were still met by surely responses and a severe lack of information. As I said earlier though, this was not the way of all the staff and there were a few Gems amongst the them. These people were friendly, polite, smiled and most of all gave a very good service. We really felt that the problems were caused by lack of hospitality training for the remainder of the staff.

There are activities and entertainment in the evening for children such as magicians and puppet shows. Throughout the day the continual thump of music by the pool, and the resort staff shouting "Aqua Gym 1,2,3,4...." did get a little grating, but this does stop around 5.30 pm and there are alternative pools which are a little quieter dotted around. The live musicians that frequent the complex will ask if they can play for you, and this is very pleasant giving you an insight into Cuban culture, and music.
The room next to ours was being redecorated when we stayed and there was an array of empty wine bottles outside the door which the workmen had been drinking. They were in the process of re-tiling, but did stop the banging around 6.30pm.
The resort is very isolated and there are no local amenities on the island. You can get a bus that travels to Cayo Guilermero every hour form the front of the hotel for 5 pesos each, return. This is worth doing if you suffer from cabin fever.
Do go snorkelling in the sea if you can, the water is very shallow at most points and the views and variety of fish are incredible. There are also come catamaran glass-bottom boat trips to the reef for around 20 pesos each. However choppy weather will postpone these trips.
My advise would be to try and pack a few cereal bars or snacks in your suitcase for emergencies as the selection of food is limited and repeated most nights. The "A La Carte" restaurants are not much better and merely tarted- up versions of the lunches and dinners. The breakfasts are undoubtedly the most popular and best meal of the day, where the majority of ingredients are cooked freshly to order including pancakes, eggs, omelettes and French toast. The coffee is very tasty too. The bananas are very very nice so try and grab as many as you can at breakfast and lunch.
There is an assortment of fresh fish that is cooked to order as well.

Please do not let children run around without shoes on. On two occasions I saw people drop glasses and it took a while for anybody to clear it up, an there were no signs put up warning of the spillages.

But I leave you with this thought... Whilst in Los Porteles- the main restaurant on the Laguana side, I noticed that a few of the goldfish in the large tank had died. Having told the waitress (she laughed at my gesture of trying to describe its recent departure). We passed the restaurant later again that evening and noticed many staff huddled around the tank gawping. The next morning we went in there and around 20 gold fish were dead all floating around. They soon covered the tank with a table cloth. It did beg the question though "what had they been feeding the fish?"

2 Thank gemwat