IBEROSTAR Mojito
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Melia Cayo Coco(Cayo Coco)
$257
  • Pool
Sol Cayo Coco(Cayo Coco)(Great Value!)
$174
$141
Elvoline
  • Breakfast included
TRYP Cayo Coco(Cayo Coco)
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
3,743 results
All reviewsel senadornh krystalcigar loungeadult poolfisha la carte restaurantspizzasnack barpollochickenmain poolthe grillother resortsgames roomlow seasonfriesrecommend this resort
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 22, 2014

I had an amazing trip. The staff where friendly and the entertainment group was just wonderfull. I would especially like to mention the great and friendly service i received from Lize (entertainment), Ruben (barman), Leydy (waitress), Lei, Roberto and Angel (dancers).

I cant wait to go back!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar.com
3  Thank Jamie M
Director Genera... I, Manager at IBEROSTAR Mojito, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Dear guest,
We really thank you for having chosen our resort to spend your holidays and we appreciate that you have taken part of your precious time to write a review about your experience with us.
It is satisfying to read you have loved the shows, the beach & the service of all our friendly staff.
We are looking forward to seeing you in the future then.
Wishing you all the best,
On Line Reputation Manager

Reviewed June 17, 2014

To preface this review, I would like to acknowledge that I'm well aware that Cuba is in many ways unlike other Caribbean nations in many ways thanks to the political situation and the trade embargo with the US.

Scroll to the end for a final verdict and some point-form tips :)

We arrived at the Mojito early on a saturday, roughly at noon and were kindly welcomed by the staff. We were told our room wasn't ready, but we intended to store our baggage in a friends room and head to the pool. By the time we got to that room, we were told that cleaning staff had changed the order and prepared our room for us right away. A really great start.

From there, the week was wonderful. Amazing beaches, almost perfect weather, and everything we expected. That's not to say it was perfect, there were some areas that left something to be desired. We were there in June of 2014, during the offseason, so the hotel was perhaps a quarter full and with somewhat limited staff.

The food. We all know that the food in Cuba is not the same as it is in other nations. No surprise there. What was surprising was the staff. There were members of the staff who were not only good at their jobs, but were kind and engaging and went out of their way to make us happy. On the other hand, there were some staff who weren't engaging and at times were apparently unhappy.

One particular gripe was with the a la carte restaurant. We were there with about 30 people for a friends' wedding (which was lovely), and as a part of that, we had the restaurant reserved for us for an evening. 30 people... two servers. There were prolonged gaps between courses, and limited service. The food itself was fine, it was just disappointing to have that low level of staffing for a wedding reception. It affected the experience. A smaller group of us went to the a la carte another night and it was the same situation, though with one server for the entire group. My entre was forgotten and not well prepared when it finally arrived. I immediately had to go find something to eat when we left. Disappointing.

To summarize the food quality and service, it was overall very good and well prepared, especially with the difference in resource availability from what we have in Canada. It was the staff that made the difference in both positive and negative ways. I was looking to assemble a sandwich one day at the buffet and a chef noticed. He asked me to follow him and custom made me a delicious Cuban sandwich, of which my tablemates were quite jealous. A little bit of kindness on your part will go a long way.

The hotel itself is lovely, though was under renovation when we arrived. From what we learned, this is the third ownership group to manage the hotel since it opened decades ago. There are areas of wear and some need of attention, but overall, it's clean and safe and has character. As a side note, there's a photo on one wall near the lobby of Fidel Castro cutting the ribbon when it first opened. We also learned that Marilyn Monroe stayed there once.

The staff were great, especially if you make an effort to be kind, and more so if you have even rudimentary Spanish skills. If you take a step toward them, they'll take two for you. I overheard someone saying that a chef was grumpy and snippy. Whenever I spoke to him, I used as much Spanish as I could and it was reciprocated in the effort I received in return. It's the same everywhere, if you're a jerk to someone, you might not receive their best effort.

One area I was extremely impressed was with the entertainment staff, while I've seen better shows and more interaction at larger resorts, I made a great connection with them by simply making an effort to engage them and try to learn about them. I played baseball in college and it came up in conversation. Over the next week, I had the chance to play ball with a couple of professional players from a national league team and as a token of new friendship I was given a ball signed by the 2012 championship team. There was no expectation of paying for it in any way, it was a gift from someone I, as a hotel guest, had no right to have expectations of.

Another example of how giving a little has a big return was that my friends and I were asked by the staff there to go with them to a beach party away from the resort. It was fantastic, were were welcomed by everyone there (mostly staff from other resorts) and have some great memories (and pictures) because of it.

A few tips:
-Go to the cave bar if you want a fun nightclub experience that's underground. Bats!
-If you want to see baseball, it's a $120 cab ride (both ways) to Ciego De Avila. Team plays from November to April. World-class baseball.
-Come with realistic expectations of the food due to the embargo.
-DO NOT try to find drugs. We learned that life in prison is mandatory for offences.
-Crime is very low, feel safe walking around the towns. That's not to say you're guaranteed to be safe anywhere, just take normal common sense precautions.
-SUNSCREEN! ALOE! HAT! BUG SPRAY (there's a lagoon, so there are bugs)
-A catamaran trip is a great way to see the ocean, beaches and the fish if you snorkel.
-If you buy duty free at the airport, insist on a receipt, we lost our bottles at the airport in Toronto because of it.
-Be nice to people and learn some Spanish before you go.
-Follow the Golden Rule. We saw some people being extremely rude (by any standard) and were sad to learn they were Canadian too. They also tended to complain that their service was lower than ours. Surprise surprise.

FINAL VERDICT: Go for it! the Mojito is fun, food is good, and the staff are almost all exemplary at their jobs. If you come with a realistic expectation that this isn't a 5-star palace, you'll have a great time!

Room Tip: If you ask for a beach view or corner room (do this), they'll do their best to accommodate. Rooms on stilts on the lagoon are being renovated now, they look like they'd be fun to stay in. Overall, you can't really have a bad room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
9  Thank 9__Escape_Artist__9
Director Genera... I, Manager at IBEROSTAR Mojito, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2014

Dear guest,

We really thank you for having chosen our resort to spend your holidays and we appreciate that you have taken part of your precious time to write a review about your experience with us; as well as; to recommend others to visit us.

We are looking forward to seeing you in the future then.

Wishing you all the best,

On Line Reputation Manager

Reviewed June 14, 2014

Had a wonderful time. Yes it's not a 4 or 5 star but a nice cheap place to go. The beach by far is the best part! Powder sand and clear crystal water. The place does need a bit of a facelift but the staff is fantastic. The only complaint that I have is people saving chairs by the pool. One day we were there and people had their stuff on them and didn't return till 3:00pm. Really??? On the beach we found lots of chairs available. The food was good, didn't get sick. Rooms were clean but need updating. Our closet was stuck but the issue was resolved within minutes. Overall it's a nice place if you want something cheap. Also the best part is that it's only 15 minutes from the airport.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank BMWmama
Director Genera... I, Manager at IBEROSTAR Mojito, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Dear guest:

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing us & sharing your positive comments on line, it is satisfying always to see our guests pleased, it is because we have a professional staff always helpful and ready to fulfill our guests’ expectations.
Thanks once more & we hope to see you again at Iberostar Mojito.

On line Reputation Manager.

Reviewed June 13, 2014

This particular property does not hold up to the Iberostar reputation. If anything, I would give this resort a 1.5 star rating.
Allow me to preface by saying that I have been to Cuba 29 times (all over Cuba) and all over the Caribbean.
The mosquitoes were plentiful. Dead cockroaches all over the property and in the buffet ... just left alone and not cleaned up.
For the most part, the service is terrible – unless you “show them the money first.” Ariel (lobby bar) and the girls at the front desk were fantastic though!!!
Aside from the cockroach in my bathroom, the room was dark, dingy (like something you’d see in a horror movie), phone didn’t work, (learned that when my toilet over flowed at 1 a.m and had to call reception), only 1 lamp worked, toilet did not flush properly and the safe did not work. I know, who stays in their room, but when it is raining, there is no option as there is no impromptu entertainment in case of rain. In addition, there should be some level of comfort and ambiance in a room that one will be staying in for the duration of their stay. Oh, and lots of big ants. Because one of the walls was very dark wood, after a heavy pouring of rain one night, I woke up to my floor being covered (not 20 or 30 or even 100) cockroaches that were once in the wood wall. Needless to say, I had to throw out some of my clothing and I changed rooms. Contrary to what I was told previously, there were other rooms available.
Switched rooms. Bright room. Lots of sunlight. Windows. Each lamp worked so did the safe, the toilet and the telephone. Little did I know, there would be NO water (hot nor cold) for 2 days. “Showered” via bottled water for 2 days. (Some rooms had just a trickle of cold water, some rooms had no water at all).
The rooms did come equipped with mini fridges – sometimes it got stocked with a large bottle of water, beer and pop and sometimes not. Some bathrooms came with basic toiletries (shampoo and a small bar of soap) and some didn’t have any at all.
Cubans are allowed on the property’s beach without being guests at the hotel. There was a large group of about 8 Cubans on our property at the beach taking up 3 palapas and 8 chairs. This became a problem when the actual guests of the resort who were looking for spots under the palapas were turned away.
Beach is spectacular. There is a beach bar on the beach as well. At lunch, they offer hot dogs, burgers and fries.
The food in the buffet lacked variety.
Pools are nice. There is an “adults only” pool with bar service.
Beach towels always available (keep note, the beach towel service closes for lunch).
There is a convenience store and a cigar shop on the property. There is also a souvenir market close by. If you are walking, it is 5 minutes away. When you are in the front of the lobby, walk out and turn right. Walk for about 5 minutes. It is a blue and yellow building. Alternatively, you can take the little train. Check at the front desk for departure times.
At the Cayo Coco airport, there are a few shops and a duty free in the airport where you can pick up cigars, coffee, alcohol, snacks, souvenirs etc. There is also a money exchange. Each shop accepted Canadian dollars at the time. Insist on a receipt and count your change!
Feel free to email me with any questions. Happy & Safe Travels.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
14  Thank isitworthitornot

Dear guest;
We know we still have to make many updates in the rooms and buildings etc., and sometimes we lack certain items that we cannot get because they are not available from our suppliers. We have to take into account that this is a third world and blocked country, but we always do our very best.
We would like also to extend our apologies for any problem we might have caused you. If you would like to give us a second chance please get in touch with us before arriving and we will do our very best to give you a second very nice impression.
Thanks once more for your review & we hope to offer you our hospitality again in the future.

On Line Reputation Manager.

Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

Not kid friendly for sure! Although most staff from the chamber maids to the cooks were quite excellent, the reception staff was all but useless. We waited 2 hours for our room in the heat with 2 kids and a pregnant wife. When we got there they said our room was almost ready. I asked several different people, all who said they would check and never came back until finally I got angry, whereby one of them produced my room key as if it had been there the whole time and told me I had heard them wrong.
The kids pool was broken down and full of dead bugs and the kids 'playground' which was supposed to be open from 9 am everyday was never open once.
Evenings there was a half hour mini disco at the beginning, but they just didn't bother the last 3 nights and the kids were really disappointed. I went to customer care and all I got was 'what's your room number, I'll see what I can do.".
The only good thing was the soft sand on beach, otherwise...Nada. I'm going to bring my kids elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank Miles L

Dear guest;
On behalf of all the staff & particularly the manager we would like to thank you for having chosen us for you holiday destination. We would like also to extend our apologies for any problem we might have caused you, our hotel as many others in the world does the check in to new guests at 16:00 hours. At this moment we are doing certain improvements discretely in some areas & we are making our best efforts doing renovations to please & fulfill our guests’ expectations.
On Line Reputation Manager.