IBEROSTAR Mojito
Melia Cayo Coco(Cayo Coco)
$257
  • Pool
Sol Cayo Coco(Cayo Coco)(Great Value!)
$174
$188
$131
HotelsClick
  • Breakfast included
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
3,743 results
All reviewsel senadornh krystalcigar loungeadult poolfisha la carte restaurantspizzasnack barpollochickenmain poolthe grillother resortsgames roomlow seasonfriesrecommend this resort
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed at the Mojito for 2 weeks in May and had a wonderful vacation. The first week was just my wife and I and the rest of our family joined us for the second week making our party 7 adults and 3 children. They were very accommodating and made out stay wonderful. The staff made us feel so welcome and at home and I want to thank them all starting with Mariluz who helped arrange our rooms and reservations before out arrival, Ernesto and Roberto who were the nicest barmen ever, Aizel, Dayami , Juslieve who served our meals, Lucy our room maid and so many more. The people here make the resort great.
We stayed in building 22 it was a perfect location close to everything. The room was serviceable but basic. The beds were comfortable, the air conditioning was hard pressed to cool the room during the noon day sun but was fine at night, the shower had great water pressure the weakest point in the room was the toilet which had to be flushed several times to clear.
The al cart restaurants were better than we expected in Cuba the food and service was very good even though we were a large group. The buffet was varied and good quality we all enjoyed the food, there were theme nights and you would often see the upper managers lending a hand an ensuring everything ran smoothly.
There are 3 pools, the main pool has a very good snack bar which is great for lunch if you want a change from the buffet. The pools are clean and well maintained.
The beach is one of the best I’ve seen in Cuba, no rocks or weeds just soft sand and warm ocean. You will have to get there early if you want a shady spot some people put their towels there early and don’t come back for hours. Not the resorts fault but more shelters would help.
Overall I would rate the rooms 3 star, the grounds and food 4 star and the staff and beach 5 star. There is always room for improvement but I would highly recommend the Mojito to my friends and we will be going back.

Room Tip: Building 22 is a good location, close to everything quiet at night.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank hol0126
Santiago_Ortiz, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Mojito, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Dear Guest,
We really thank you for having chosen our resort to spend your holidays and we appreciate that you have taken part of your precious time to write a review about your experience with us.
We keep on reading nice reviews about the hotel and the staff in general and that makes us very happy. We are glad to hear that your stay like most from our guests has been nice and that you liked the maid service, pool, beach and restaurant.
Once again, we thank you for your considerations and are looking forward to seeing you sometime in the near future to share and enjoy with the Iberostar Mojito’s team. We will not spare efforts to make your next visit always better than your previous one.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

travel date July 8 to 18- 2013, in building 18, 3rd floor. travelling with friends
I travelled to Cuba many times in the past 10 years. This is my first time in Cayo Coco, and it was the worst experience with Iberostar group. Trip cost 685, tax 290, with Sunwing airline. tips amount I spent on the services 300 canadian dollars.
The Positive:
The beach: white, warm, clean and beautiful.
The Hotel:
-entertaniment: great show every nights, well I only saw 3 shows as it was moved to the disco due to the rain and we did not know it s been moved.
-service.- staff are trying their best to serve the guests, but some are very rude and unprofessional. ie. checking at the table if the tips was on the table.
there are staff name worth special recognition for their excellent services- Aisel , Alexander and the pizza chef. Jiemmy for the bartender. for the restaurant-Juan Carlos in the Ala ca restaurant.

The negative:
1.Foods- unacceptable for 4 star, vegetables are old and recycle from the day before. meals are repeatative. same fish, same dish everyday, breakfast was ok. lunch and dinner in the buffet was terrible. The juice: they claim it is orange juice, but it tasted like water with pale yellow. Tips: Dont drink it you will have this bad taste in your mouth.
fruits were stale and not fresh at all. only thing were good to eat was pineapple and papaya. Pizza was good at snack bar that my tip.
the pasta- good pasta but need more staff to speed up the line and services.
2. Room:
-Bed mattress are old and broken spring, pillows are dirty. Ac was nice.
-cleanliness; making sure your maid change the sheets everyday, and get you enough soap and shampoo. I leave the tips 3 cuc perday and I still did not get my soap.
-the towels- dirty, outdated and holes. I dont want to complain but it was just too much.
tV- not working , battery are death, need to ask the maid for the new one , it died again.
minibar- fact: you will get 1 bottle of water and 2 soft drink per day. Tip; ask the maid for extra water or pop if you need more during the night incase you are thristy.
-wine- I tried to drink the house wine red and white. but not good. tast awful: Tip- buy the wine from the restaurant if you like a better quality, it run around 20 peso and up. but it s worth it. I had to drink wine to cope with my disappoinment...
-the lock- it s working ... yehhh
Recommendation: please change the towels, pillows, and better mattress to a newer one, better quality toilet paper, and no fee for the beach towels. It is the worst idea to charge 20 $ for the towels or to waste my time to sign in to get the towel. Replenish more choices for drink like beers or other drink.

3. the Bar: Fact: the entire hotel has 1 blender which is in the main lobby. if you like the real drink pina coloda or bailey. forget it. You will be disappointed at the beach bar and the snack bar or the cigar bar. LOL. no blender. Tips: I must bring my own blender next time. bring your own cup from home- got mine at Winners for cold drink etc.
4. The sport: they got Hobby cat for free ride but remember to tips- I tipped staff very well minimum 5 peso. sm canoes.
Ping pong are outdated and broken, tennis court need to be clean and wipe out the water. Tips: bring your own sport equipments ie - snorkels , pinpong, tennis rackets, tennis balls.
Tennis teacher was very good. I forgot his name, but excellent coaching. I will go just to learn the tennis and leave.
5. services- I would give 3 out of 5. staff are mix, some are professional some are corrupted. there were many securty staff all the time in the uniform, but why?? they glarring and starring for no reason. I know staff are working double shifts as I saw them in am and late evening. They can not be happy all the time. I think they can still be professional and respectful and not drinking while on their duties.
6. The pool- family and adult pool. I prefered the adult pool as it more quite and less traffic. please watch out for the mosquitos. bring medications like benedyl, anti allergy ,bug spray as these buggers are aggressive. Eat banana , wear the patch to fight off the bugs might help you to defeat these creatures.
wear long pants to cover skin and protecting from the bite.
7. the restaurant reservations: they have 2 restaurants which are in the same location but rotate every other day. the food and services here are excellent. Juan Carlos deserve special recognition for his services. thank you for the awsome red snaper and pasta you made.
Summary: I wont go back to this hotel for the service and poor food quality. I witnessed staff were unprofessional on many occasions. It is not worth the money. I will pay more for the better quality. I learned my lesson.

Room Tip: room 1800 is near the entertainment building. stay away from this room is you dont like the noise.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Chutharatm1

Dear Guest,
Overall you have made an exhaustive evaluation of the hotel during your stay with us which give us an idea how was your vacation. We apologize for all the inconveniences you had to face and that you expressed in your review. We will analyze them with all the departments involved in order to rectify the procedures and avoid things like these to happen again. Your feedback is of great value to us. We agree with you we still have to work to keep on improving variety in food menus despite we have changed it a great deal since we started a few months ago. Mosquitos, when they are around even when we spray with whatever we spray, it is impossible to avoid them a hundred percent. You were not lucky during your stay. Sometimes they only show up a bit in the morning or late afternoon when it is clouded.
We apologize for the inconveniences you faced during your stay and for sure we will pay attention to all the issues.

Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

This is a great hotel as long as you do not go with high expectations. I travelled here alone and i had a great time. I had amazing weather every day! The beach is not the best. I left the resort to check out another beach called Playa Pillar that was a lot nicer! The pool is great! It was low season so not many people. The rooms are clean. The food is fine. Good variety. The pasta and pizza are great. Fresh fish. Fruits are not that good except for the bananas. The service is great. Overall good experience if you want to relax and get away for a cheap vacation! I don't have any complaints!

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank HKJ420

Dear Guest,
Wow, you said a lot in very few lines. Thank you. That’s what we are working for, to make your holidays unforgettable and if you were happy we are happy. We keep on working hard to make good things to keep on happening.
We have a very professional staff willing to offer the best service ever.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

We stayed July 13-20 and paid $854 per person (including tax) which is an appropriate price for a 3-3.5 star resort. This was our 4th time to Cuba, 14th trip south and we have stayed at 3 to 5 star resorts. My review is very detailed only because from my perspective our experience didn't justify a very good or excellent rating and to let others know why. My rating: the staff and beach would be 9/10, pools 9/10, buffet food 6/10(my husband’s rating is a 2/10),the room 2/10.

We always go to different resorts each trip for new experiences but because of the majority of excellent and very good reviews for the last little while and having stayed at the El Senador (room on the Emperador side which is maybe why we had a problem with this side) shortly after it opened and loving it we thought we’d give Iberostar Mojito a try. We were excited to return and I don’t know if it’s because we expected too much based on the reviews; we returned too soon; we’ve been to other resorts and countries; we were without kids to keep us busy from noticing things but we were mostly disappointed with our return visit. I know Iberostar has taken over from a company that really let the place go to ruin and are working hard to get it back in shape so I hope they succeed for their amazing employees.

The best part of going here is the majority of wonderful, friendly staff (the only unfriendly one I came across was a young girl in the buffet restaurant that needs to take lessons from the others, she was quite surly and never interacted with the clientele which made it seem that she wasn’t happy to be working there and didn’t really want to try either- I just made sure I didn’t sit in her area again), beautiful beach, beautiful grounds, beautiful pools and short ride from the airport. The last time we were here it was a 90 minute drive from Ciego de Avila so landing on the island is great. It was nice to see the beautiful trees and shrubs as these were just being planted when we were here in 2002. It was also fun and interesting to talk to the employees who had been here when it first opened.

There are three pools- one kiddy pool, one family pool and one adult pool and all were well maintained. The adult pool is great for laps because it is long and quiet most of the time. Quite often the 4 signs indicating that it is adults only were ignored by a few but getting assistance from a staff member helped in these situations. Iberostar needs to put more effort in to maintaining the adults’ only regulation instead of the client having to go find somebody all the time.

The walk to the beach for me wasn’t long and I enjoyed looking from the boardwalk for the fish, jelly fish and crabs on the way to the beach. The mosquitoes are active here and other areas even during the day-they are smaller than at home and you are often bit before you even know they are there. If you are going with young children consider taking Benadryl because most of the bad reactions to the bites seemed to be with them. I missed not having the beach restaurant - you had to go back to the pool restaurant or buffet for food.

The long sandy beach is amazing and does narrow and widen with the tide. The water wasn’t calm so I didn’t bother snorkeling but the waves were a lot of fun- when calmer the shallow water is great for little ones. The Iberostar needs to build more palapas, the resort wasn’t even full when we arrived but one day (I think everyone was out at the beach) it was hard to find a shady spot. I noticed one spot only had 2 chairs, there was room for 4 and the people there were quite put out that they couldn’t have the whole palapa to themselves- after that weekend the numbers of guests went down and we never had a problem finding shade. One note about the beach- when I went for a walk it was shocking and sad to see the amount of garbage that is left near the beach outside the resort boundaries- the next time I went the garbage had been cleaned up but it is not picture perfect all the time.

The pool restaurant/snack bar was great for a quick bite or simple meal and what we tried was always good. After 1pm they offered a menu and had a fairly good selection of foods to choose from if you didn’t feel like going to the buffet- we liked the local mustard and catsup, found it more flavorful. The birds in the pool area didn’t bother us, they are a hoot to watch but don’t leave your plate unless you are finished eating- if you get up to get a drink or whatever the birds will be on it immediately.

The following is where it was disappointing for us- buffet food and room.

The buffet offers a nice variety of food stations at all the meals which was excellent but then we found much of the food presented tended to be repetitive; some looked like it was recycled or left over from the previous day; some of the fresh juice at the smoothie station was made up of clients left over juice that was prepared for them in a blender that wasn’t rinsed out in between ; some of the hot dishes put out weren’t labeled at breakfast and lunch and one couldn’t tell what it was and some of it just didn’t look appealing. I didn’t have any major problems with what was available (I’m happy to have someone else do the cooking) but if you are on a restricted diet of any kind the variety is even less. We did run into rancid butter which threw my husband’s stomach off for a while. When we arrived (on a Saturday) everything looked good but after a few days the hot prepared selections for supper, lunch and breakfast (which my husband has to stick with because of wheat allergy) seemed to be getting worse and worse. Finally Friday comes along and low and behold the hot selections for the 3 main meals were different and very good, we thought wow if the food had been this great all week it would have been amazing- we then wondered if the reason was because of the high profile people being escorted around the resort, so it’s too bad that it seemed to have taken visitors to make the food selection better- the next day it was back to the same repetitive choices.

Out of all the places we’ve been this resort has been the worst for us as far as noisy rooms- the room and amenities were fine, it was just the noise problems we had issues with. We started in building 20 and moved to 21 because of noise echoing from the stage (we've seen so many night shows over the years it's not a priority for us) and crying or yelling children both sides of us. Building 21 was an improvement for the stage noise but not the other noises. The rooms aren’t in any way soundproofed- not the doors, walls, floors or windows. We always request a top floor room so we don’t have to listen to pounding feet above us but that didn’t help here. We could hear just about every inside and outside noise (from rooms and floors away) in the morning and evening echoing in our room-children crying and yelling, people talking, people coughing, showers running, doors shutting and slamming, key cards sliding in the door beside us, people pounding on doors, people yelling outside and inside, footsteps outside and inside from other rooms, tables and or chairs being dragged across the floor either beside or below us, etc. The main doors aren’t very thick, one of the panels on ours was taped and you could see daylight through it and the bottom of the door didn’t touch the floor; I put a towel down every night to help cut down on some of the noise coming in. A lot of the outside noise which echoed up all the levels also came in the open screened window vent in the bathroom that faced the outside corridor. The bathroom door is made of glass and only latches from the inside so this door couldn’t even be closed to cut down on the noise echoing in the room. The sound of the generator was great for us because it helped drown out some of the other noises and we had to keep the TV turned up in our room and stay up until we figured other people had settled down so we did eventually get to sleep but not a very relaxing stay in our room at all. Maybe we should have moved again but we really didn’t feel like packing everything up again and if all the buildings are built the same I doubt they would have been any better. If the resort is less than half full it would be worthwhile to spread the clients out more to eliminate the noise problems between rooms- every other room would have been a big improvement for us.

Other things to note-the small red tiled pathways between buildings and pools need widening and repairs-many tiles are raised or sunken and broken and loose boards on the boardwalk. The path from building 21 to adult pool has horse manure on it and was there the whole week. The lower stair railing on building 21 is very loose and I was afraid to put much pressure on it.The adult pool showers didn’t work so you have to go to the family pool first to shower. The pool washrooms were fine until after heavy rain and then they became unpleasantly smelly. The morning we left I had to use the lobby bathrooms and most of the stall floors were covered with water which even though it looked clean who wants to walk through water in a bathroom and there was no toilet paper in the stall I did use. There are no clocks, coffee makers, beer nor ironing units in the room which was no big deal but it has been a long time since we’ve been to a resort that didn’t have at least one of these provided. There are no queen and king sized beds-two doubles are pushed together. The resort is only being half used (lagoon rooms are closed and it’s understandable why when you take a closer look) and the amount of chairs in shade around the pool and in shade at the beach was barely able to handle these numbers so I can imagine how bad it will be if the resort ever gets to full capacity and more shade isn’t provided.The only dressings for salads is olive oil and either red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar so if you don’t like these do take your own dressing, spices if needed and peanut butter as there isn’t any here. Take own snacks as well especially for kids; only regular and mint tea is available so if you want more choices then bring own from home. Bacon and breakfast sausages as we know them aren’t available if that’s important to you- wasn’t to me but I know there’s some people that don’t want to be without them for a week. Take mosquito repellant.

The resort is great for families and adults (not party animals) with no mobility issues because the beach is not wheelchair accessible; I didn’t notice if the main pool was wheelchair accessible or not- something you’d have to inquire about if it affects you. The staff and beach are amazing but it wasn’t enough to offset our disappointing experience in other areas (food and room) for the week and if we had been staying for 2 weeks we would have requested going to another resort after day 4. If you go with lowered expectations,what bothered us wouldn't bother you, remember this is a 3-3.5 resort and pay under $1000 total per person then you will be pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank snowyowl

Dear Guest,
Thanks for all the good comments about the service, the staff in general as you know we keep on working on renovations. Also thank you for all the suggestions you wrote at the end of your review. We are already working on most of them. Food labeling will be finished in about two weeks and the steps to the beach are at this moment being repaired. We agree with you we still have to work to keep on improving variety in food menus despite we have changed it a great deal since we started a few months ago. Mosquitos, when they are around even when we spray with whatever we spray, it is impossible to avoid them a hundred percent. You were not lucky during your stay. Sometimes they only show up a bit in the morning or late afternoon when it is clouded.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Hola !

it was my second visit to this hotel in 4 months ( I went in March 2013) and once again, this is the best hotel from my point of view ! I travelled to Cuba 6 times in last 12 months and many other times before.

Iberostar Mojito is now like second home. Management and staff like family. I have so much positive things to say about this hotel !

I need first to start with management. There's a guy at the hotel, Noel is his name. He's one of the manager there and he's the best manager I met so far. Very nice person, he planned much of my wedding in March and again I asked for special dinner with my wife last week and everything was very well planned. The room and location was perfect also. He took time to talk with us every day, asked if we need something, if he can do more for us and even took time to talk and have a drink one night. I'm a general manager in the golf industry and I would hire a guy like him in a heartbeat here ! Noel, if you read this, thank for everything, you are a true gentlement and you deserve all my respect.

The hotel was as always very nice. Not too much people, very quiet. Often, I was alone in the pool with my wife. Only one restaurant was open, but they changed every night from Gourmet to International. Food was always very good.

The buffet's food was good, I gain weight on every trip there. Because of very few people, a section at the buffet was closed. Last time in March was very long wait for pasta, but this time was much better. All people at the buffet remembered us and was very nice to see them again. They are very nice with us, made sure we enjoyed our time there.

Beach was beautiful, we went to Playa Pilar one day, best beach in Cuba they say, but the beach in Front of the Mojito is just as perfect. We can have long walk, there was not too much people, except on weekend where lots of Cuban people get there.

All the resort is very clean, people very friendly. Even a lady who cleaned our room in March came to talk with us, she looked our wedding album and took time to talk with us. She remembered our names. I was surprised

I really enjoy this hotel. People are very friendly, food is very good, lot's of drinks and management ( Noel) made a huge difference.

I already plan to go back in a little than a month. Iberostar Mojito will surely be my choice again because people there are now part of my life, like family, the hotel is very nice and clean, beach is the most beautiful one I've seen and food and drinks are perfect, staff very friendly and Noel like a brother now.

What can I ask more ?

Iberostar Mojito is without a doubt my choice In Cayo Coco and I hope you'll like also ! Go there, you won't regret !

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank David L

Dear Guest,
You are another of the several satisfied guests from the many who visit us. We see you liked your stay very much and the service received from our staff. We appreciate your kind words and keep on doing our very best so that every time we have something new and better to offer.