“Do Not Go to La Laguna!!”
Review of Iberostar Mojito

Iberostar Mojito
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
toronto
“Do Not Go to La Laguna!!”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Just arrived home after a vacation at La Laguna. If you are booked to go there get it changed now. Honestly, over half of the resort is closed down while they renovate. There was approx 90 people there when we arrived on September 1. All of the rooms on stilts are closed. All of the junior suites are closed. The only rooms open are at the hotel. The buffet was absolutely terrible!! The buffet itself is not air conditioned and has no ceiling fans. There was about 8 items at the buffett and that is no lie!! We were told that in 2 weeks the whole resort is closing down for renovation. There is no choice of food - same thing for lunch and dinner and its bad! We actually paid extra while there and moved over to the Tryp on the Monday where they had a good selection of food. No one we talked to at La Laguna was enjoying their vacation which is a shame. The beach is really nice. The staff were fabulous and kept apologizing but its not their fault. This is no joke people - if you are booked to go to La Laguna try and get out of it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
16 Thank denise57
Director Genera... I, General Manager at Iberostar Mojito, responded to this review, March 10, 2016
Dear Guest,
On behalf of all the staff and particularly the manager, we want to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Mojito hotel for your holidays and for taking time to write a review about your experience.
We regret to acknowledge that our beach and excellent service did not make you feel as “a Star” as we aim in Iberostar Hotels and Resorts in all of our more than one hundreds hotels worldwide. Our Management team extends our apologies for any and all inconveniences that you might have encountered. We have taken good notes from your feedback and forwarded to the corresponding departmental heads to evaluate their performance and deliver the level of service expected by our valuable costumers.
We invite you to visit us once again so our staff can show you the way we really care about our “Stars”, please feel free contact us to assist you before your next visit.
With regards,
Online Reputation Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Reviewed July 15, 2012

The hotel was nice. We went here last December and it was not crowded, which we liked very much. It was important for me that the kids have a good time, and boy they did! My 5 year-old loved the kids club. Every night there was a mini disco which he absolutely enjoyed. Animation team did a very good job entertaining the kids and guests. Staff was very friendly. Food was okay. My two kids loved the pizza! The beach, probably one of the best I've been to.

My kids are looking forward to another vacation here.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank Mdluna01
Dear Guest,
On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager we would like to thank you for choosing stay at the IBEROSTAR Mojito Hotel for you Holiday. Is nice to read it were another great holiday. Iberostar aims to provide to our beloved guests an excellent service so they can “enjoy being a Star”. We are glad to read that we accomplished our goal with you during your stay among us.
We hope to see you soon, remember you are our family guest at this resort and we are happy always to give you a welcome back.
Best regard
Crumlin
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Just had a great 2 weeks at the La Laguna rainy season had just finished although there still a lot of mosquitoes about the beach as usual probably the best in the world most days only 4 of us on the beach as the beach is the main reason we go this was fantastic undisturbed fishing each day did have trouble one day when i could not obtain prawns for bait but there you go a small issue.
The food was typically cuban no better no worse than normal it is what we expect.
A special thanks to Lis in customer service who made sure everything went smoothly
The Service as always was wonderful attentive at all times and they could not do enough for us
A special mention for Yosvel, Juan Carlos, Inacial, Alberto,Eilen in the buffet and restaurants,
Roberto, Edil, Reuben and Sandro at the Bars.
Our room maid this year was excellent Olguita everything was always perfect.
Hope to go back soon when it is under Iberostar management.

Mo & John

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank John D
Best regard
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We flew from Toronto with Westjet.It is the first time I've flown south without a meal provided. You could buy a meal along with a $7 beer if you were so inclined.I think I'll stay with Sunwing from now on.
We went with the family and although it was my 4th trip to this location it was my first on the La Laguna side.I was quite impressed.The rooms were large and clean with lots of hot water and cool A/C.The grounds were spotless with a grounds crew constantly working to keep it that way.The last time we were here the food was so bad I said I would never return.The food has greatly improved.We went to the breakfast buffet, and either the lunch buffet or the grille by the pool and were never disappointed. Because the hotel was not busy we ordered off a different a la carte menu every night.We never had a bad meal.No problem getting a seat at the pool or beach.
I would like to thank Anabel in public relations for organizing birthday cakes for our party.It was also nice to see old friends like Sandro,Tamara,Edil, Freddie and Wilbur,who is amazing tossing and flipping bottles at the bar.Eileen and Hose` in the dining room,Ana and Clairabel at the front desk and Olga who did a great job cleaning our room.Although this hotel won't be an official Iberastar till later in the year, it is a major improvement over the previous owner.I will certainly go back

Room Tip: We all stayed in building 20.It was quiet and close to everything
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
18 Thank trkndg44
Dear Guest
First of all, we would like to tell you that we really appreciate you have chosen our resort Iberostar Mojito to spend your well-deserved holidays.
We really appreciate you have taken the time to write a review about your stay with us.
Our staff is our best asset and you know they will always walk the extra mile to give the best service possible.
Once again we thank you for your comments which are of great importance to keep on improving our work.
Kind Regards,
Barrie
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Just returned June 3rd from the Hotel La laguna in Caya Coco. Had an amazing relaxing vacation. My husband and I have been to this resort before and it was truly the staff that made me want to return.
We were very fortunate to have a week of amazing weather. For all the beach lovers "WOW" the
Beach was amazing very clean and well maintained.
For the pool lovers, never fear Axcel was there too entertain and keep a large variety of specialty drinks flowing. Pool was the perfect temperature to enjoy, refresh and hang out in. Main pool, quite pool and kiddy pool all running.
I enjoyed my morning omelette and my afternoon salads (food was not an issue, always something to enjoy) dinner was great evernight a different menu (Seafood, V.I.P., Steak House,
Cuban) no lineup al la cart every night.
My husband and myself are not really into the night shows, so after dinner we would head to the cigar lounge to watch some sports or shot some pool. Freddie was always an excellent host and very entertaining when he started juggling and mixing our evening drinks.
Hospitality, Lis you are number 1, you made us feel so welcome and special and don't worrie
when you were not there the front desk staff follows in your foot steps.
Our room was kept clean and our fridge always stocked.
A tip of appreciation goes a long way.
Overall, very clean, excellent staff, great place to relax and enjoy. I will definitely return.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Wendy M
Dear Guest,
We really thank you for having chosen our resort to spend your holidays and we appreciate that you have taken part of your precious time to write a review about your experience with us, as well as to recommend others to visit us.
It is satisfying to read you have loved the food quality, the shows, the beach, the room comfort & the service of all our friendly staff.
Thanks again.
Ontario
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Just returned from this resort June 3, 2012. What a relaxing vacation. The resort offered excellent customer service, from the arrival to the departure, the staff went out of their way to make our visit an enjoyable one.
This is a return visit for my husband and myself and I must say I was amazed at the condition of the resort. The grounds looked amazing, lots of renovations since are last visit, I was extremely impressed. The beach "WOW" if you are a beach person this beach is like no other!!!
But, if you are not a beach goer, Axcel the pool bartender will make sure to keep your mug full.
"thank you Axcel"
My husband and I are not big show goers, so in the evening, we would visit the cigar lounge where Freddie would entertain you with his bottle juggling and mix some pretty mean drinks!!
We were able to catch some sports on T.V. And play some pool.
What I really enjoyed was the al a carts every night for dinner. Because they are renovating areas to improve the resort some of the restaurants are closed but this did not prevent you from trying the menu, each night a different menu was offered. All you have to do is show up, no lining up to get a reservation.
I would really like to thank all the staff, again you made my vacation very enjoyable.
Too Lis in customer service xoxo we will be back again to visit.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank maddog10ontario
Thanks again.
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I was a member of a group of six that stayed at La Laguna over Reading Week in February 2012. We chose this hotel based of reviews on Trip Advisor and our experience was awful. It's not that the hotel itself if that bad we loved the beach, the daily activities, the food was ok - we didn't come to Cuba for the food, our rooms we decently clean, and the hotel was not over crowded or loud at night. We ran into our first problem when we went to the Cave party on one of the weeknights which we booked and paid for through our Westjet travel rep at the hotel. After the cave party had completed at around 2 am there was no return service to La Laguna. We were left STRANDED at this cave location which is not close to the hotels as it is in the jungle. Eventually we ended lying saying that we were from the Tryp resort so we could get a ride back to the hotel strip. When I contacted my vacation rep the next day he said he didn't know why there was no bus to bring us back the next and offered no explanation or apology - talk about horrible service. So that incident might have been out of the hotel's control but upon checking out, my brother's room was flagged for a towel he had apparently checked out and not returned. When we showed the front desk that we had a receipt saying that we had indeed returned all of our towels the front desk told us we could not leave unless we paid for this "missing" towel. Our bus was leaving for the airport in ten minutes so I got extremely agitated and asked if we could see the signature that was used to check-out the towel to see if it was my brother's. Of course it wasn't, it was some scribble that didn't have any of the letters of his name in it. But they still said we had to pay for it even after comparing his passport signature to the check-out one. We said we weren't paying for it as we had never taken out this stupid towel and besides the only money we had left was the departure tax for the airport. Then the hotel staff, mostly the manager, begin speaking in Spanish about how they are going to GO THROUGH our bags looking for this towel. I guess they didn't realize half of our group speaks some of the local language. Finally I said we are not paying for this towel, our bus is leaving this is your problem not ours. At that point the manager was like if you don't pay for it the towel girl will have to and it will take her months to work it off. Obviously this was just a cash grab and I was very upset they were pushing it so much, so we told them it's their problem not ours and left. I will NEVER return to this hotel after the very poor service I received and I don't think I would do Cuba again either. Their communist regime is scary in the urban areas and the wide scale poverty makes for a lot of begging/harassment by locals to give them your hat, sunglasses, bags, etc. I've been to Mexico, the Dominican, the Bahamas, and Jamaica and this vacation experience was just terrible compared to my previous travels.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Memories Flamenco Beach Resort
TRYP Cayo Coco
TRYP Cayo Coco
#7 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to Iberostar Mojito? Share your experiences!