“Great family vacation!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Iberostar Mojito
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
“Great family vacation!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2012

We travelled March 16-23 we had a great vacation. We travelled with our 3 year old son who enjoyed every minute of our stay. We have been to Cuba 10 times and by far this resort has the most amazing people from servers, cooks, security guards and gardeners they all work hard to make your stay enjoyable.
We stayed in block 18 ground floor which had a patio area which is great if you have children when our little guy needed an afternoon nap we could still sit on the patio read or have a drink or chat to the ardeners it is very close to the pools & lobby. It was also great at night time when we put our son to bed we sat on the patio & could hear the entertainment. Also, we did not see one bug or ant anywhere which at other resorts ground floors usually have lots of ants in our past experience anyway.
The food is the same as all the other resorts we have been too you can always find something to eat. Bring peanut butter if you have kids it comes in handy when your kids are hungry but the Buffett or snack bar do not open till 12:30pm. in the morning we would make p.butter sandwiches & put them in a Tupperware(take one with you) and have it on hand if he was hungry it definitely avoided melt downs.
The pools are great for kids they can gradually walk in so it's good for all ages. We checked out the kids club it looked great & the kids seem to really enjoy it and the lady that worked there was really good with the kids I was very impressed.
Go see Freddy at the cigar bar he is awesome & makes the best drinks also you can get cristol beer in a can which tastes really good over the draught. The kids club at night time was fun for the kids my little guy is till saying Chow chow Mickey mouse.
We brought lots of gifts for the workers but they seem to have a huge interest in Crocs especially for kids.
Overall, this resort was great we really enjoyed our trip it's a perfect spot for kids they truly get the royal treatment. I think we finally found a perfect resort for our future family vacations.
Hope this review helped out the people thinking about traveling with children.

• Stayed March 2012
9 Thank Erinm77
Director Genera... I, General Manager at Iberostar Mojito, responded to this review, June 2, 2016
Dear Guest,
On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager we would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given us by choosing the Hotel.
We would like to clarify though that the hotel chain is concerned to listen to the voice of our customers through internet and dedicated an especial staff to track feedbacks and deliver them to the corresponding Managers by destination and rectify those areas in which we need to work.
On Line Reputation Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (587)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Dartmouth, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

We stayed at the resort from March 24 until March 31 and from the time we checked in until we left the following Saturday we had one of our most enjoyable vacations.

Arriving at the hotel early (9:30 am) we expected a long wait for our room to be ready but were pleasantly suprised to be settled in by 11:30.

We had a room in building 16 on the ground floor which had a small patio facing the pool area and enjoyed our morning tea and coffee sitting on our patio listening to the doves and watching humming birds around the shrubbery.

The buffet contained a wide variety of food selection for breakfast, lunch and supper. We enjoyed the variance of the foods and sampled many dishes finding them to be mainly tasty although some of the food could be a little hotter but that is common with most buffets.

The pools were large and very clean. We used the main pool where the hotel activities took place and although we did not partake, the noise was minimal.

Although we did not attend all the night performances, the few we did go to were very entertaining and the performances excellent.

We only had rain one day, that being on Wednesday and only lasted for the morning. We spent the morning in the lobby area as the normal pool activities were moved to that area. Actually we spent at lot of time in the lobby area where there is a bar and every evening around supper time local entertainment would provide music as we sat and enjoyed a capuchino or a drink.

There is a short walk from the resort proper to the beach but it is worth it as we found the beach to be fantastic for long walks and swimming. There are cabanas there and if you go down early in the morning you can reserve a spot for the day. A beach bar is on sight and down the beach there is a restaurant and past that a small gift shop.

WE can't say enough about the staff. Friendly, helpful and wonderful to talk to. The front desk staff (especially Marielys), the bartenders, cooks, waiters and waitresses, grounds keepers and cleaning staff all went out of their way to please. Most often they would greet you with a Good Morning, How are You Today?

The resort caters to mostly Canadian tourists and we met people from all over Canada.

Already planning our next trip back!

Paul and Charlene Bonang
Cole Harbour
Nova Scotia

8 Thank 667Paul007
Georgetown, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

Me and my boyfriend arrived on the 16th of march until the 23rd. I was sick every day after the day we arrived and thought it was just the food. The day after we got home I had to be rushed to emerge and had a fever of 104 and almost died.. and excruciating pain in my left side of my stomach. I was immediately put on intervenis and morphine for the pain. I later found out I had e coli and not only was it in all my organs but my blood stream. It started in my bladder and I got it in cuba 110%. This has been the worst week of my life I just got home from the hospital and still have to take 4 heavy duty antibiotics each day for 12 days. The only time we left the resort was to swim with dolphins and I didn't drink anything but the bottled water from the room. I never drank anything but the water they served at dinner and bottled water. Do not go here I literally almost died and I'm only 21 years old.

13 Thank STAYAWAYYYY
Director Genera... I, General Manager at Iberostar Mojito, responded to this review, March 10, 2016
Dear Guest,
On behalf of all the staff and particularly the manager, we want to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Mojito hotel for your holidays and for taking time to write a review about your experience.
We regret to acknowledge that our beach and excellent service did not make you feel as “a Star” as we aim in Iberostar Hotels and Resorts in all of our more than one hundreds hotels worldwide. Our Management team extends our apologies for any and all inconveniences that you might have encountered. We have taken good notes from your feedback and forwarded to the corresponding departmental heads to evaluate their performance and deliver the level of service expected by our valuable costumers.
We invite you to visit us once again so our staff can show you the way we really care about our “Stars”, please feel free contact us to assist you before your next visit.
With regards,
Online Reputation Manager
bradford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

March 16-23, 2012. This was our third visit to Cuba but the first to Cayo Coco. We chose Hotel La Laguna primarily because of the excellent reviews on this site. We were not disappointed. The Hotel staff were extremely welcoming even though we arrived quite late in the evening. Music in the lobby and fruit punch for everyone. We were able to get a meal in the restaurant despite the late hour. I will try to break this down.

Hotel - Lovely, open, pleasant, clean grounds with beautiful gardens. The buildings are 2-3 storeys and in keeping with Cuban architecture. The staff were extremely friendly, always helpful and showed remarkable (too much, in my opinion) restraint with the few but inevitable drunks who could not handle free booze. The rooms were very clean, freshly painted, simple but, comfortable. Some small issues with the sink not draining quickly enough and shower faucet not perfect, but none of them serious enough for us to complain. We were in block 19 on the third floor and loved the location .... close to the adult pool, far enough away from the main pool, the open stage and the disco. The music from those areas is enough to blast your eardrums. The buildings around the adult pool are the best choice (but NOT 18). The lagoon pods are not being used right now....possibly under renovation. Personally, we would not want to be there. Iberostar has bought the hotel and there are plans to renovate the whole resort.

Food: As in all of of Cuba the food is simple but tasty. Lots of fresh fruit (but rather tasteless juice) , fish (though we did not eat it much), beef, chicken, pork. Some vegetables were canned and were often badly overcooked. Breakfast was always very good with the chefs at the grill customizing your order. Wine...not great. Beer was fine. There was only one night when we had some difficulty finding something we liked. We went for the Cuban dinner and the Steak night a la cartes both at the Gallo Restaurant. The cuban meal was very good. The steak...my husband's was workable but mine...half was inedible, half was workable. The red wine that night was a Spanish wine and very good. If you are a fussy eater, Cuba is not for you.

Beach - Our initial reaction was not great as the beach was covered with seaweed and pretty narrow. It appears that the machine they use to clean the beach was broken and after a couple of days it was cleaned up and when the tide was out there was quite wide expanse of very fine beach. The winds were very strong and there were always whitecaps and rough seas. Personally, we used the beach mainly for our daily walks but not to spend time on. For us, It was too crowded and not enough shade. But the beach itself is beautiful.

Pool - 2 pools, the main one with the bar and pool hut which we did not frequent due to all the activity and music. We preferred the adult pool which was smaller, quiet and very pleasant. Pool/Beach towels available at the pool cabana.

Weather - in late March, absolutely perfect. Temps in the high 20s but the strong winds meant zero humidity and zero bugs. I think I saw one mosquito and no other critters. We shut off our AC and left the windows open all day - there were no screens. We only closed them if the lights were on. Ladies might take a shawl or sweater for the evenings.

Our overall experience was very good but we would like to see improvements in more fresh vegetables cooked properly and better security handling of the drunks. Yes, we would go back again. We met couples who had been coming back for 2 to 3 years. Is it a 4 star? More like 3.5+++++++

Room Tip: We found building 19, third floor, to be a great choice - up in the treetop breeze, very close to ev...
7 Thank lizbradford
Holland Landing, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

the food was great, as for Cuba is known for bad food this place was my best food experience in cuba ,the resort was very clean,rooms very clean, beach nice great pools, entertainment was great,i would highly recommended this hotel to my friends, i stayed in 22 block ground floor which has 2 rooms on ground and 2 on second floor in 6 builds nice and quiet section,the staff mostly spoke english, i give this resort 4 stars

Room Tip: i would say blocks 19 and 20 where good sections,but 22 block was great for me
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Gord M
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

Went to Varedero last year, this year chose Cayo Coco just to be different. My friend and I read all the previous reviews on this hotel and it helped make our decision. This is a great hotel. Our room was really nice, very clean. The hotel grounds are kept spotless. The staff is very friendly. The food was fine. I am a very picky eater but I always found something to eat. My thoughts are that the A LA Carte restaurants are not worth the stress of making reservations to go. They have nice ambiance for sure, but the food is no better there than at the buffets. The seafood restaurant was the best out of all of them. Cuban restaurant was really no good. We could not eat our dinner, but it did not upset us at all. We just headed over to the buffet. Beaches are beautiful, Acxel and Alex at the Swim up pool bar were amazing. So nice, very friendly and they made awesome drinks. When you get tired of rum drinks ask Acxel to make you his famous RUSSIAN drink....vodka, sugar, lime juice....delicious. Chicken and ham and cheese sandwiches with fries at the snack bar are good too. Entertainment was ok - but if you feel like dancing, take a trip to THE CAVE one night. Disco in a real cave - great music and worth the price. Its about a 15 minute bus ride and all drinks are included once you are there, and YES, there are bats in the cave but once the music starts you wont see them. :) We swam with the dolphins in Cayo Guillermo - great excursion and well worth the money. You are in the water for a long time with the dolphins, then we had lobster and shrimp at the beach and went to Pilar beach too all in the same day.
Would definitely go back, would recommend it for both families and for couples although there is not a lot of young people there, not a lot of action for young singles so I guess it depends on what you are looking for. Varadero was defilnitely more of a party place. I give La Laguna a 4.5 out of 5. Enjoy !

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank sgmtl
Blyth, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

March 31/12 Just returned from this resort and we had a great vacation with a few mishaps. We took our whole family, 3 grown children, 2 girls age 27 & 17, who shared a room and our son 20 who had his own room. When we arrived the staff were very helpful and did take us and our luggage to our building and were very helpful. The beach was awesome and the water absolutely beautiful, different entertainment each night, some fantastic and some not but mostly the animation team was great. We booked a half day trip to Moron for $100 canadian and waited two hours and our bus never showed up. When our sunwing rep showed up she refunded our payment with no explanation as to why. There were many french people there and they all seemed to constantly be smoking so when you went to a show there was always smoke from somewhere. The bartenders and waitstaff were excellent for the most part with great senses of humour. We went on a glass bottom boat ride with snorkelling for about $22 each and it was amazing. The kids also did a day trip to two towns close by with speed boat rides, cigar factory tours, bicycle taxi rides, shopping sugar cane tour, steam train ride etc and they enjoyed it.
While there my one daughter developed an allergic reaction in her eyes and we saw a wonderful doctor immediately. The nurse could not have been more compassionate and nurturing as well. She treated her and saw her again the next day and offered to see her anytime again while we were there for the one cost of $61.60 and that included medications, dressing and appointment.
There was also a problem with our daughters room since the air conditioning wasn't working so when we complained they fixed it but it broke the next day again. My husband went to the front desk and they moved the girls immediately to another room. The resort only seemed to be about 1/3 to 1/2 full while we were there.
There were also many families there with children of all ages. They offered a program each night for the children.
At times I found the music to be a little too loud and I was glad our building was far enough away that we didn't hear it....but maybe that was because the pina coladas were good.
There was a huge variety of foods to choose from. If you couldn't find something to eat there then you have a problem! Lovely fresh fruit every morning as well as made to order omlets, eggs, several meats, potatoes, rice, different meats, fish all cooked as you like as well as a large variety of delicious breads, baked goods a variety of foods to try if you're adventurous!
Free kayaking and sailing was also included with this all-inclusive package. This is a place you can have a quiet relaxing holiday or be as busy as you like.

Room Tip: try not be in building 15 it's too close to the stage and the pool Very Loud
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
#1 of 3 in South Hill
Hotel Villa Lodge 4 Epices
Hotel Villa Lodge 4 Epices
#5 of 7 in Grand Cul-de-Sac

Been to Iberostar Mojito? Share your experiences!