“The staff make this resort!!”
Review of Iberostar Mojito

and 1 more site!
Iberostar Mojito
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Toronto, Canada
“The staff make this resort!!”
Reviewed January 19, 2012

We booked La Laguna as a last minute trip in December 2011 right before Christmas (it was a late honeymoon with our 11 month old). As the saying goes, you get what you pay for, and we were VERY impressed with what we got. It is most important to know that the staff make this resort what it is. They were amazing. The front desk crew were as helpful and accomodating as ever. They booked us into the honeymoon suite and although is was a big room with a beautiful view, it was on the third floor which made it difficult with an 11 month to carry up and down the stairs all the time. They had us moved to a ground floor almost immediately when we requested. They also provided us with a crib for the baby and a bottle of sparkling wine for our honeymoon. Ariel who works in hospitality is a wealth of knowledge. He can tell you all about the resort and the famous past owners, he can hook you up with the a la carte restaurants, an appointment for a facial and massage and to head into town if you want. They even offered us baby sitting services if we wanted to have a quiet dinner one night without the baby. Alex & Axcel work the pool and the pool bar. They put our ipod on so we could hear our own music, always kept our glasses full and were full of energy!! Jose and the staff at the breakfast buffet loved my son and greeted him every morning with lots of smiles and tickles (which he loved). The staff in the buffet and the outdoor grill helped me all week with hot water to make bottles and keep my son well fed. They were very helpful!! The gardeners were all very happy and a number of them made my son animals out of the tree leaves for him. He thought they were great!! The dinner buffet seemed to be repetative, but if you didn't try a bit of everything every night, it was easy to work with. The pasta bar is unbelieveable!! And the fish station had fresh fish, calamari & stir fry every night (and they were amazing too). The rooms were spacious, the maids did a great job tidying up everyday. There are no irons in the rooms (you have to send the items out to be pressed for a cost). But there was a maid named Mary (who wasn't even our maid) who brought in her own personal iron so I could use it!! The rooms, bathrooms, pools and all areas are very clean and I never worried about my son crawling around. We didn't spend any time at the beach (it was windy all week), so I can't tell you much about it. Over all the resort was wonderful. It is big and the grounds are well kept, tidy and beautiful. Even with half the resort closed for renovation, there was lots of room to walk around and explore. The childrens area looked like it would be lots of fun and when my son is old enough to go there, I'm sure he will enjoy his time (and we will enjoy ours). We are excited to go back to this resort sometime later this year when the renovations are complete on one side to see what it is like. Like I said before, you get what you pay for, and this resort is worth every penny. You can't go wrong for a trip that is affordable and not a 2 hour drive from the airport!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
11 Thank wbfd
Director Genera... I, General Manager at Iberostar Mojito, responded to this review, March 10, 2016
Dear Guest,
We really thank you for having chosen our resort to spend your holidays and we appreciate that you have taken part of your precious time to write a review about your experience with us, as well as to recommend others to visit us.
It is satisfying to read you have loved the food quality, the shows, the beach, the room comfort & the service of all our friendly staff.
Online Reputation Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (603)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Reviewed January 17, 2012

I just returned from La Laguna on Sunday. I will return at another time to write a more detailed review, but wanted to send out a word of warning that we brought home bed bugs. They were just discovered today, so I took the day off work to try to get them under control before the get too bad. Also had to spend $400 dollars on mattress covers and spray. Please read up on what you can do to prevent these horrible little bugs before you go on your trip to here or ANYWHERE else. I never thought this would happen to me. Our cheap January vacation just got a whole lot more expensive.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
16 Thank lovestravelling80
Director Genera... I, General Manager at Iberostar Mojito, responded to this review, June 2, 2016
Dear Guest,
On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager we would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given us by choosing the Hotel.
We would like to clarify though that the hotel chain is concerned to listen to the voice of our customers through internet and dedicated an especial staff to track feedbacks and deliver them to the corresponding Managers by destination and rectify those areas in which we need to work.
Greater Guelph Area
Reviewed January 17, 2012

To anyone who is looking for that time out in a paradise of peace and quiet with gentle people who will serve you above and beyond, this is the place.
Most of us are aware that the resort has been undergoing some major changes but it was more than evident in that these are all moving in a positive direction. The gardens have never been more beautiful with so many hummingbirds visiting daily.
The buffet was accommodating with fruits, cereals, hot dishes and those yummy crepes / pancakes for breakfast with a reasonable variety for lunch and dinners. The a la carts were amazing.
Some of the special people to note;
Alex - I have observed your never ending pool service for a number of years and you never cease to amaze me as you walk the pools and take those drink orders delivering them with a kind word regardless if the request was for a beer or water. Thank you for your professional and sincere service.
Tamara - Always ready with a smile. It is a pleasure to see you at your best year after year.
All the bar staff were in fact amazing.
Olga - my chamber maid. This amazing woman was fantastic. I had never had a cleaner more well looked after room as I did on this vacation. Thank you so much.
Ipolito & Mariluz - Managers who put great efforts and sincere attention in giving very personal service. Your dedication to your profession and your clients is notable and appreciated. It is the little things that give us that family closeness.
To all the entertainers/animation .......WOW!!! The evening shows were fantastic. The performances were so wonderful, professional and engaging. Keep up the great work.
The gardeners are so wonderful too. They will entertain you with their hand crafted objects made from natural leaves and if you ask nicely, they will be more than happy to pluck you a delicate flower to enjoy.
So many names it is not possible to remember them all but for sure every staff member is as important as the next and plays a big role in making our stay comfortable and pleasant.
The lobby was magnificent and I found the entire resort to be clean and friendly.
The beach was not as pristine as it has been known to be in the past but this may have just been due to the weather at the time of my stay.
I would like to think once the Emperador opens again that the beaches will have more attention put to them again.
**Big Tip**
When you arrive I would strongly recommend that you kindly ask your chamber maid to please ensure she sprays down your room daily with insecticide to prevent the sand flees from taking over. Keep your room free from damp towels, cloths, food and especially sweet drinks as these things attract the nasty little biting buggers. These insects are indigenous to the tropics and should not be mistaken for bedbugs.
**Medical Attention**
It is the second time I have needed to visit the on site doctor and I encourage anyone who needs to visit a doctor for insect bites, or in my case an asthmatic allergy, don’t hesitate. Yes it will cost you some pesos but the care and medication you will get will make all the difference to your vacation time. Don’t forget to ask for a receipt as you can claim these costs on your insurance plans.
**Horse and Carriage
by all means spring for the $5 pesos per person and take advantage of the opportunity to be transported in an old fashioned way to several; other resorts where you will have an opportunity to visit their lobbies and shops. Best cigar shop is located at the Blau Colonial and is included in the trip.
** Visiting Moron
Unless you have befriended a trusted driver I would recommend to take the tour that takes you for the boat ride, luncheon, alligator farm and general city tour. Well worth the money. If you have befriended a trusted driver as I did, then by all means do indulge in the hospitality of the locals. It will be a most unforgettable time. However - DON’T EVER FORGET TO TAKE TOILET PAPER WITH YOU and you might want to bring along a bottle of water and some handy wipes just in case.
Bottom line – for me it was a wonderful time and yes I will be returning. Please use common sense and remember that a little respect and kind words will go a long, long way.
Enjoy your stay
Cheers
Kat

Room Tip: For a magnificent view and if you don't mind a little excercise - Block 20 3rd level. WOW! It i...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank KatzPaw
Reviewed January 15, 2012

Well just got back from La Laguna (I think that is the name this week) and had a good time with the family. My third time to Cayo Coco - this is not the Four Seasons so I am reviewing this on a curve.

Not many people here this week (only about 200 total) - this was both good and bad. No lines at the buffet - lots of space on the beach and the pool and was fairly quiet. At the same time the activities were not always running due to the lack of people.

Some of the very Good was the buffet staff - smiling faces on the pasta line and omelette lines. Yamil always greated us with a smile and generally looked very happy to see us every morning (sit in his section and you will not be disappointed). Alexander was great at the pool - looking after our drink needs and making us feel at home. Felix and Rubin were great at the bars. The one lobby bartender is very entertaining with the ice and bottles - wasn't wearing a name tag but you can't miss him.

The Bad - the seaweed was collecting on the beach and was not cleaned up as often as it should - had to walk over the build up (Tryp would rake it up on the morning). You must move from directly in front of the bar to find a good spot on the beach as rocks in the water there will cut.

The Ugly - the one lifeguard was more interested in selling fake cigars than looking after your safety. Has a book of pictures and is constantly looking for people smoking so he can try and sell you some. I bought some off him the first day and they seemed good - the second pack of Monte Cristo No 5 were so poor they were obviously fake. Poor filler and too tight. Though you often get one or two bad cigars in a box the bands should be good - these were not lined up and not good smokes. Stay away from him. Another person bought a box from a gardener - he offered then brought them to him first thing in the morning - they were "Cohiba Esplendidos". These were so obviously fake it was sad. They cost him $50 (for a $500 box!). We had a laugh - if its too good to be true it likely is. The bands were faded the tobacco was poor and they could not be smoked. Things like this can ruin what would other wise be a great vacation.

So in short it was clean and nice. Alexander and Yamil deserve to move the service up to a 5 - but the lifeguard and fake cigars being pushed by staff bring it down to the 3. Get rid of this and the overall would go to 4, the service 4 and the value 5.

• Stayed January 2012
14 Thank fishnbugdude
Cambridge, Canada
Reviewed January 13, 2012

Realistic Expectations is the key here!...I have been to many different resorts in Cuba,and this one is my Favorite....partially because of the rich Canadian Hockey History,but mostly because of the Staff,the food and most of all,the location...the snorkleing right of the beach in the clumps of coral is amazing...we even caught fish right in the Lagoon...the rooms,the pools the beach are all pretty much average when your sobber,but when your not they are are great...so keep drinking my friends....and don't tell anyone about this place!

Room Tip: you will have to be seriously pissed off to be moved...but all the rooms are great...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank John R
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Our family of three started the year off with our first trip to Cuba (Dec 31 to Jan 7). We had a great time at La Laguna - it is a lovely resort, a beautiful beach, very friendly staff, great dancers and the food was way better than we had expected. The constant sea breeze keeps the mosquitos away and we didn't see any of the usual warm climate bugs. The resort is transitioning to new owners, but that should not keep anyone away.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Kesburn
Stouffville, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed January 8, 2012

My favourite resort in all of the Caribbean, this is my second home!! I will be returning for my 14th time on April 10th and can't wait to see so many of my friends who work there! Ashley, Ariel, Tamara at the lobby bar and all of the Animation Staff! Dunky is coming back folks so make sure you have the Beach Volleyball Court well groomed! And of course I will be bringing my Volleyball! Glad to hear that Iberostar have taken over the resort, hopefully they will bring it back up to the standard it once had when it was run by many of the Montreal Canadians and called El Senedor! This resort is beautiful, one of the nicest stretches of beach I have ever walked on, amazing people and if you are willing to drop $10cb you can have lobster whenever you like! Can't wait to see you all soon, tell Iberostar to hire Nory back on!!!

Room Tip: Try for a bungalo on the lagoon or a junior suite around the lobby bar pool
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family