“Beautifu”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Ellesmere Port
“Beautifu”
Reviewed March 4, 2011

Travelled to Sol Cayo Coco in January 2010 for my mum's 50th birthday with my boyfriend and sister. What a beautiful place. The only negative about the holiday was that we only went for 7 nights. Both beaches are paradise, lovely huge pool areas, enjoyable entertainment, tasty wide selection of food, cocktail bar was very nice where the bar person will make any cocktail you wish, rooms were clean and spacey. It is a great place to go if you want a luxury relaxing break in the sun. Cayo Coco is an island just off mainland Cuba, think there are about 8 hotels on the island. There are no restaurants/bars/shops to go out to it is just the hotel. You can go on trips but they are a little pricey but if you travel that far it's worth going on at least one, we did a half day jeep safari which took you to mainland Cuba where you get to see the poorer side and it does open your eyes and make you appreciate what you've got. Definatley recommend Cayo Coco, me and my partner are looking at booking to go for our honeymoon this year.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank VickiandAlex

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (842)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2011

We only stayed here for 2 nights as part of a tour of Cuba. This was the best room and food we had all trip. We received excellent service in the bars and dining room even before tipping. There was a good selection of food at the buffet breakfast , lunch and dinner.
Our room was a good size with two 4 foot 6 inch beds, fridge and balcony. We also had an iron , ironing board, hairdryer and safe. The bathroom was also a good size.
The TV had several English speaking channels including BBC World and CNN.
2 computers were available for an extra charge.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 1, 2011

This vacation was a dream come true. We traveled myself, my husband and our daughters age 3 and 8. The airport arrival and hotel check-in went smoothly. We were eating at the buffet and sitting at the pool before we knew it. The hotel is beautiful and a nice size, not too large and expansive but just enough room to roam and explore. Our room was spacious and deco was light and airy. Alicia, the hotel sales manager even left a bouquet of flowers in our room for us, a sweet surprise. We had booked our flight and hotel stay seperately so I had sent many e-mails to Alicia with questions regarding our stay. She was always able to answer our questions and was very accommodating with helping us plan the logistics of our stay. E-mail responses were always very quick and informative. The level of care she places into her job certainly showed and this carried through with all the staff in the hotel. Everyone was more than willing to help us in any way and tried to make our stay comfortable and fun. Some of the reviews I have read were not as happy with the hotel staff... truly if you give them a smile and a friendly hola then all is o.k.
The food ...... simply put FANTASTIC! There was not a single time in the day when we were not able to find a snack or something delicious to eat. There was great variety for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The buffet had enough food choices that you could put together and truly make a great meal. If someone complains about the food here it means they have not imagination and do not know how to use use the resources available to them. We ate everything with no tummy troubles. I ate the salad daily, my husband the seafood (fresh and grilled), my youngest the shrimp and my oldest anything she felt like at the moment. We had ice in our drinks and did not worry once. The ice cream is really delicious and so are the flambeed bananas. The pizza at the snack bar was a hit with everyone and the churros a great treat. I don't know what it is about their pork but the bacon and pork chops were delicious. We ate it daily.
We did visit the Tryp hotel one day. Am I glad we decided on the Sol and not the Tryp. It was loud and busy. The pool water felt much cooler and the beach very windy. I was difficult to get food there and we finally gave up. The most exciting thing about the Tryp was going to see the flamingos. They do come and eat out of your hand. After seeing the flamingos both my kids asked when we could go back to our hotel. We took a taxi there, 3 CUC, and walked back along the beach. This was fun as we counted 41 jelly fish along our walk.
The Sol has a gorgeous beach tucked away in a cove that has powder white sand, limited wind and a tide that goes in and out every seven hours. Very interesting to see. It is a beautiful beach to either relax, play in the sand or swim in the surf. Crystal clear water and beautiful soft sand under foot as you walk in. The main beach has recently been somewhat damaged due to the high winds and big waves. They lost some very large palm trees due to the water erosion. The hotel staff seemed upset about this as they were proud that they had one of the nicest beaches along the stretch but this season has been extra windy and cold. The Cubans were able to wear jeans and long sleeve shirts while we were in a swim suits all day. I guess coming from our cold Canada winter to the warm Cuba air was enough for us but they are used to much hotter weather.
The kids club and staff there are great. They really know how to have fun with the kiddies and make them feel comfortable. My kids did not spend as much time there as some but it was simply because we ran out of time and had too many things we wanted to do.
Our room was always cleaned and put back in order daily. I read some reviews that bed sheets do not get changed unless you request it. We had no problem with this. If the maids saw we had any sand, crumbs, ketchup stains (yes my kids had fries in bed for breakfast!) then our sheets were always changed. There were more than enough towels and we did not use all of them daily.
The entertainment was always fun and enjoyable. During the day there were games and beach activities to participate in. Great shows during the day by the pool and each evening the shows in the theater or lobby bar were always fun and lively.
This hotel is quieter than others and the majority of people are over the 50 year age range. The students there were not the party till you drop kind. The families with teens found things to keep themselves occupied. There were maybe 6 families there with young kids during our stay and this meant the kids always had extra attention and did not feel overwhelmed.
We felt very comfortable safe and had a chance to feel like Cuba was our home during the stay. The beds and pillows were very comfortable. The best hotel stay I've ever had. This resort is for sure a four star and I would rate it as a 4+. I've stayed at five star Puerto Vallarta, 5 star Mayan Riviera and this is the best I've experienced for the value and quality. I thank everyone at Sol for their dedication and hard work in making our trip enjoyable.
I would recommend this hotel to my family and friends in a heartbeat. I feel it a place that you will leave with great memories and new friends. I hope this review helps your decision. If you have any questions please feel free to ask and I would be glad to help out if I can.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank misiainthesun
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2011

Date of trip - 13 Feb 2011 - 27 Feb 2011
Tour operator - Thomas Cook (UK)

Flight out from Manchester on morning of Sunday 13th Feb. Flight course had to be altered due to severe winds on the Atlantic putting approx 1.5hrs onto our journey time. Arrived at the local airport, Jardines del Rey, during grey low cloud and high winds owing to the weather system that had delayed our arrival. These high winds remained for 3-4 days. Went through passport control in resonable time to be met on the other side by our tour rep, Mabel Rodriguez (literally the best holiday rep Ive encountered) and shown to our transfer bus. Transfer to Sol Cayo Coco took around 15mins and went direct. Sol Cayo Coco lies next to its sister hotel, the Sol Melia. There is pretty much nothing else in the immediate area to say you are in Cuba.

Arrival and room
On arrival at the Sol we found that staff were immediately friendly and welcoming and we went through check-in quickly and went to our room, 1421. Having read some of the reviews on here before arrival I read that rooms were being renovated, ours wasnt one of them. It was a little shabby in places but was still cleaned to a high standard. Room had two double beds, good standard WC facilities, shower, bath, bidet, basin, hair dryer (which I didnt need having a shaved head, wife found it useful though). Also in the room was our safe, (which worked perfectly well during our stay, others didn't) a TV showing multi national stations including a decent range of English speaking stations. Also in the room was a coffee perculator which didnt have supplied coffee but you could purchase some good coffee from the site shop. Room had a view out to the crystal clear sea although it was slightly obscured by palm trees, not something to complain about. I was happy enough with the room, wasnt 4* as I know it but was certainly comfortable and clean.

Hotel complex
Layout of the hotel was three story with most rooms having a sea view as far as I could make out. Four pools of varying sizes and all met their intentions well, though if your the type that needs to do 100 lengths a day you will struggle. Grounds are well kept by the gardeners. Beach directly in front of the hotel is, true to previous reports, suffering from hurricane damage though I wouldnt say they were horrible. The water is crystal clear and the sands soft white and rubbish free (nothing worse than finding piles of cigarette butts in sand). There is the main beach to the left of the hotel which hasnt suffered hurricane damage and is one of the best beaches Ive come across in terms of water, sand and general quality. The hotel also has lots of activities for both adults and children all ran by the animation team most of whom were really good though a few of them definitely had their favourite guests, namely the 'spring break' guests. This leads me to my next comment, the other guests. There were British, Argentinian, a small gang of Germans and Canadians both french and english speaking this included 30 or so spring breakers all of around 21yrs. I can say that all the guests were friendly and of the spring breakers they were a fine example to their country, yes they had fun but so what, they are 21, they were always friendly and respectful. There was a site shop which sells everything you may need though some things are very expensive, such as sun lotion which I priced at £18 for a small tube, so take plenty from home. Also available there are snack foods (mostly cuban made which when youre in Cuba is nice), full range of Cigars and also a good range of Rums.

Eating
Three main choices for eating, main resturant and two a-la carte restaurants. Main restuarant had a good range of choices and was staffed by friendly waiting staff and front house chefs who cooked to your requirements. I always had decent, if slightly bland for my chilli pepper battered pallet, food on each occasion I was in there. We found that going after 8:30pm on a night meant that we avoided the early rush and queues. The other two restaurants required to be booked and my understanding is that only one booking to each a-la carte per party could be booked per week. We booked our sittings as soon as we were able to which was 3pm on the Monday afternoon...when everyone else had the same idea. 30mins of queing to book the a-la carte meant I couldnt be bothered to book it on the second week. Im not sure this is the best system for booking the a-la carte restaurants but thats the one thats in place. Food at the a-la carte is good but not hugely better than the main restaurant though it is nice to be waited on and for your food to be brought to you as opposed to the buffet style main. Other food options included snack style food (good standard pizza, burger, hot dog, chips) at the pool bar, BBQ at the beach and beach restaurant and toasties at the lobby bar. It is possible to easily get food 24hrs a day so availability is excellent at Sol.

Drinking
Four main options for drinking at the Sol, lobby bar open 24hrs a day, pool bar open 10am - 11pm, disco open 10pm - 2am and cocktail bar which opens 3pm - 10pm. All the bars serve the excellent Havana Club branded rums and these are free flowing without having to sign for them or any of that stuff that you can sometimes experience at other all-inc hotels. Most comonly known brands of international drinks are available though some of these are to be paid for seperately. A wide range of soft drinks available too from nice filter coffee to colas and fruit punches. A major bug-bear of mine was that the bars (excluding the coctkail bar) served their drinks in small plastic disposable cups which wasnt aesthetically pleasing at all and also points to that vast amount of rubbish that this would generate. Lots of guests (mainly Canadians for some reason) carried with them large thermos type cups which they had brought from home. I'd reccommend that if you came here you bring some kind of drinking vessel be it the thermos cups or even tall glasses.

Summary
The title of my review speaks for its self in that the Sol is built away from real Cuba and that said it is good in that capacity. You can arrange trips easily through tour guides and I dare say through the hotel staff. I do recommend that when you are here you make the effort to take in some of the things and sites that Cuba has to offer as its an amazing and unique country populated by interesting passionate people (except Havana which seems to be populated by miserable people, in total contrast to the rest of Cuba). Before I went to the Sol I was worried that being so disconected would badly affect my holiday but far from it, my time there was excellent, the staff were excellent from the manager who would very reguarly wander around talking to guests (something Ive NEVER seen before at a hotel of this type) to the gardeners and cleaning staff who always had a friendly word. I can definitely recommend this destination. If you need any further advice please email me.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank eZandy
Derby
Reviewed February 28, 2011

We returned to the Sol 13th Feb for 2 weeks. E mailed the hotel prior to arrival re room, and were given what we asked for - prompt return e mail as well. The holiday was great as usual, the weather was fantastic. All the staff as usual were extremely friendly, courteous and helpful. Alex in customer services especially lovely! As returning guests the hotel took a group of us out on the train to a local farm where they entertained us and provided a lovely meal outdoors - a nice touch. The food selection was plentiful, there was something for everyone, and if you dont want the buffet bar, there is the beach bar or pool bar. The beach at the front of the hotel has indeed disappeared (I did read reviews about that before we went, and couldnt quite understand that!) there has been a lot of destruction due to storms - however this is still a beautiful spot, always a nice breeze and pelicans fishing, you can get sunbeds down there when the tide is out. Recomend walking right down the beach that side early in the morning to watch the sunrise, and the opposite side for sunset. The beach over the rickety rackery bridge is just stunning and the water amazing, take some bread to feed the fish under the bridge. This time we did the spa trip which was very nice, included a back neck and leg massage, as well as reflexology and a milk bath, set over the cliffs with hammocks, pools jaccuzis and a bar! Mabel the thomas cook rep was very attentive as usual, nothing is too much trouble for her. As far as tipping goes, we sometimes did, sometimes not but the service NEVER altered as some people review. There are a lot of rude people around who expect service without a please or thankyou. The staff at the Sol go out of their way to make your holiday special, the Cuban people are very lovely. A word about the thomas cook flights - outbound entertainment very poor and my dvd didnt even work, the food was extremely poor, inbound the crew did their job and no more, the entertainment again very poor, the food for main meal was the same as outbound - chicken! and the breakfast - well where was it?! One muffin and an orange juice! They are not the best airline for such a long haul but no other hol company fly there. That said we had a fabulous time and will be returning again.

Ormesby St. Margaret, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 28, 2011

This was our second visit to this resort and fourth time in Cuba. We travelled with family and met up with friends that we made from our stay last year. The resort is very friendly and did not disappoint this time. As you arrive, the staff welcome you and you realise that the stay will be good. This hotel is four star and to some, the facilities may be a bit basic compared to other places in the world but they are just right.

The pool is ideal for those with children with various abilities in swimming with four different sections. The staff put on various activities which all ages can get involved and that is really good.

The food is all inclusive but served with a smile and a welcome. The tips go to all staff including the kitchen staff. Try the omelettes in the morning...

The entertainment during the night was the same as last year but we still had to watch the Michael Jackson Show as the dancers are great and hard-working.

The beaches are lovely and relaxing, however the main beach on the resort had been wiped out by some serious storm. It will be back.

The only quibble was the lack of bar staff which meant you had to queue for drinks however, if you tip well, the waiting staff remember your order and replenish through the evening.

If you want to visit Cuba and want to relax just after Christmas, then choose this place. Remember though that this place is popular with Canadians and for some reason, they want to be a bit noisy.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 27, 2011

We had an amazing time. The service was amazing. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Entertainment was excellent. The rooms were very clean. The beach was clean. Lots of variety of food - fruits and desserts. Snack bar staff also very friendly and eager to serve you. staff in the Dining area also very eager to serve. The variety of food was good an d always fresh (chinese, italian, seafood etc) The weather was amazing - approx. 28 to 30 degrees (early February). Overall it was well worth it - I would recommend it anytime.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Pullman Cayo Coco
Pullman Cayo Coco
#2 of 12 in Cayo Coco
Memories Flamenco Beach Resort

Been to Sol Cayo Coco? Share your experiences!