“Good value for money. Don't expect too much and you'll be OK.”
Review of Sol Cayo Coco

Sol Cayo Coco
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Toronto
“Good value for money. Don't expect too much and you'll be OK.”
Reviewed February 27, 2011

We've been to Cuba several times at several different locations. This was our first time in Cayo Coco and we probably won't choose this destination again because there is not much on the island other than the resorts.
Our stay was at the Sol Cayo Coco. We knew from reading Tripadvisor reports that the hotel beach is washed away so we were prepared. Happily the adjoining beach is a 5 minute walk and is fantastic.
Food at the hotel is OK - not really great, average for Cuba in our experience - but you'll always find something you like at the buffet.
Nightly entertainment is not so good. Show is typically 45 minutes and performers try hard but the sound system is awful and the stage is outdoors and not elaborate.
We were told the hotel was renovated. Our room looked like it was still in the process with unpainted trim on the walls. Our room safe wasn't working when we checked in and also on departure when we couldn't open it with our travel documents inside. The hotel sent a technician and had it fixed within an hour.
Rooms are noisy - sound travels and doors slamming and furniture scraping on floors could be heard at all hours.
Staff at the hotel were friendly and helpful. We make a point of tipping well and received exceptional service as a result.
We didn't take any tours or excursions but several people commented on being left behind when the bus they travelled on filled up and left without them. They were forced to go around the parking lot to find another tour operator who agreed to take them back to the hotel.
Which leads me to our major bad experience: on departure day we were advised that the bus to the airport would pick us up at 12:00 noon. At 1:25 when it still hadn't arrived so we took a taxi and at the airport were told we were the last to check in. I got seat 23D and my wife 2D. While we were waiting at the hotel we asked the front desk staff to check where the bus was and their repsonse was "it's on Cuba time".

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (842)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 26, 2011

I'll try to make this as simple as possible.
Food: delicious by Cuban standard. Fresh with different cooking stations. Great home-cooked taste. Fast food at the pool bar including different subs and burgers, even churros. Was full at every meal. Toasted sandwiches available at the lobby bar till the late hours.
Beach: Nothing new to state. As previous reviews say, the main beach has been affected by the tides of winter. 5 minute walk left of the main resort, there is a grand beach that also leads to other resorts you may visit if you get a bracelet from the front lobby.
Staff: Incredible. These people will try to do everything they can to make you happy. The animation team is fantastic and will always try to get you moving and happy. The nightly entertainment staff is very talented and I recommend making it to every show.
Rooms: good quality. We had the economic room. It was clean and roomy. There was a TV that had plenty of English channels like HBO, TBS, CNN etc. Bathtub is a little outdated so a bath may be out of the question, but a room upgrade is available where there is a jacuzzi in the room. The workers are loud later in the morning but this did help us wake up and actually leave our rooms...
In terms of bugs, I hadn't seen any. But I did find some itchy bug bites on my body so I would recommend spraying bug spray in any case. The weather was perfect. Lastly, make sure to bring extra money for tips. The workers will treat you nicely either way, but one CUC goes a very long way. It takes the workers 2 hours to get to the hotel every day, as the actual city of Cayo Coco has no locals living there; in order to really experience Cuba, one must go out of the island and really explore. All in all, those who post the negative reviews must be far too picky. This hotel is truly worth the money you paid for. As mentioned before, if you're looking for a more lively resort - Tryp is more youthful. On the contrary, Melia has a very low spirit. Sol is somewhere right in the middle. A four star experience indeed.

Feel free to message me with questions.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank dkly
Reviewed February 25, 2011

Our family had a really great time at Sol Cayo Coco. The staff at the resort where number 1. They really showed class. The food was great so much to choose from. The bartenders were really fast making the drinks, they even had time to remeber your name. The beach itself was amazing, very clean. After staying at different resorts around Cuba and Mexico I rate this resort number 1, great for familes.

• Stayed February 2011
United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2011

Just back from the Sol. This was our first time in Cuba and our first time staying at an all inclusive hotel. I had reservations about having a resort type holiday, however our stay was OUTSTANDING and this was down to the wonderful, friendly and helpful staff working at the hotel. I don't understand the comments made by the recent reviewer who found the staff to be rude and unhelpful! Yes we did tip and rightly so! Good service deserves reward, I usually tip in restaurants at home in the UK and I have never received even a fraction of the service that we received from EVERY SINGLE member of staff working at the Sol-and I include the gardening, maintenance and beach staff.
The food was plentiful, (the fresh bread, fruit and vegetables were lovely). We are all vegetarians and found plenty to eat and enjoy. Yes there were some foods that were more unusual but that is what being in a different culture is all about.
Our room was comfortable, spacious and very clean.
I cannot say strongly enough that the people we met in Cuba and at the Sol hotel were, without exception. wonderful. The only grumpy faces and moaning voices I saw and heard were on the plane (complaining) before we even left the runway at Gatwick.
I will definitely be returning to Cuba and the Sol next year.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Calvera7
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed February 21, 2011

I must say- I have been to many 4 star resorts around Cuba, Jamaica and Dominican and I actually REALLY liked this one! For starters- I did not see a single bug, everything was always clean, my bed was not uncomfortable and i could actually sleep(which i never can without my own super cozy bed) and the food was actually really good(surprisingly so for Cuba!). There was always fresh food to be cooked in front of you(omelets, steak, seafood ect.), the pizza's were a great treat and the chuppula's and fried banana's were to die for! There are 2 beaches- so please make sure to go to the long stretch sandy one in the cove- its is beautiful and there is a huge stretch of sand. The eroded one was beautiful but was just not worth swimming in considering the other one was so functional and stretched on for miles. I checked out the TRYP hotel but while it was much bigger and very beautiful as well- I really did enjoy the convenience of the SOL and walking out of my room to be straight in the middle of everything. I would recommend this hotel to anyone I know, but if you're looking for lively and busy- go to the TRYP. The Sol is for those looking to have a very chill vacation. Side note- the entertainment was REALLY good and well organized, as well my family loved the shows (usually at other resorts we find them cheesy and ill planned). The staff was fantastic and the people were very kind and quite impressive individuals. Talented, educated and beautiful.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank HappyVacationer2011
Reviewed February 20, 2011

The title sums up the holiday in one word! Myself and my family have been going back for 5 years now and each year it just gets better, there are no faults with this hotel or it's surroundings. Obviously people need to remember Cuba isn't a rich country, so always go with an open mind! The hotel staff are amazing, especially the animation team and the dancers- they never fail to make everybodys stay a pleasant one, there is constant entertainment; even if it's just music playing in the background, the hotel grounds are never 'quiet' but the noise is low enough for even the more senior clients to relax, so there wouldn't be any reason the complain about that! My youngest daughter (16) keeps in contact with all the animation team and dancers when we arrive back in England, speaking to them on the phone constantly. The food is gorgeous! In the main resteraunt most food is cooked in front of you and you can choose what 'fillers' you want in it eg onions, peppers etc. My family along with 3 other familes are going back to the Sol in March, this will be our 5th or 6th stay and we are all really looking forward to another enjoyable 2 weeks.

• Stayed March 2010
1 Thank Cuba1708
england
Reviewed February 19, 2011

Returned on the 14th,as other people have said the hotel could do with a littleTLC.The staff are great,the hotel is clean and you will always find something to eat.The people like me who read the bad reviews about sickness,don't worry.The hotel is clean the room are ok,clean towels everyday and clean linen when you request it.The manager walks round every day so if you have a promblem talk to him,he will listen.I had a chemist shop in my luggage but did not need it.So if you have booked a holiday to the Sol go and enjoy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Memories Flamenco Beach Resort
TRYP Cayo Coco
TRYP Cayo Coco
#7 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to Sol Cayo Coco? Share your experiences!