“Faboulous time at Sol Cayo Coco”
Review of Sol Cayo Coco

Sol Cayo Coco
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
London
“Faboulous time at Sol Cayo Coco”
Reviewed October 19, 2006

We had the best time ever!!! Do not believe what they write about this hotel. The service is fantastic!!! Choose it as your holiday destination and you will not regret it!!! We came back just few days ago, but we are already planning to go back there soon!!!

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
15 Thank Seniorita_Salsera

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (841)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
st. albans, herts
Reviewed October 4, 2006

We have been to the sol cayo coco for the last four years and are returning again in oct. 2006. The kids are totally safe and have plenty to do thanks to the superb entertainment staff, so we gat a holiday. rooms are simple but quite sufficient, the hot water ran out one day but was back within 4 hours, boiler breakdown. For this each room was given a bottle of white rum ( proper bacardi)
food is excellent and the staff are all wonderful, they want to serve you.
White sandy quiet beaches where you can relax read and enjoy a fresh coconut that the gardeners will cut down for you or a cold beer.
Evening shows are great and they even do one with the kids.
We will return for years as it is safe, clean, friendly, value for money and enjoyable.
When you land at jarden del ray hang on as the runway is fairly short and they hit the breaks hard!!
would recomend to eveybody and have.

• Liked — friendly helpful sincere staff
  • Disliked — 2 weeks was not enough
  • Tips/Secrets — take sun tan lotion and mosi repellant, dont be put off by peoples negative opinions
  • Stayed October 2005, traveled with family
23 Thank thebigfatchef
Essex, England
Reviewed September 23, 2006

The sol cayo coco. What can I say? It is just like heaven there. I had the best holiday ever there. So good in fact I'm returning next year (2007).
The room;
Our room was very nice. Not decorated in an over the top manner but was very clean light and airy and had every thing we coud've possibly needed. Our room was in a fantastic location. From the lobby we literally went up one flight of stairs and our room was the first. Great because it was right in the middle. We overlooked the pool and although you can't really see from the photo I attatched it had a lovely view of both the pool and the sea. Especially when the pool was lit at night.
The maids came in every day and gave us new towels every other day. The bathroom came with a constant supply of hot water unlike many other hotels I have been to although I will note that around 6 when everyone is getting ready to go to dinner the shower pressure drops slightly. The best thing about this room was the dressing area. It was myself and my best friend on this holiday, Two twenty something girls trying to get ready at the same time is normally a recipe for disaster however adjacent to the bathroom, is a dressing area. Fully lit with a sink and a wall of mirrors with plugs for hair straghteners etc was our idea of heaven. Enough about the room now lol.

The pool;
Gorgeous. Thats all that needs to be said. Just a few metres back from the pool and sheilded from the sea breeze. There was constant entertainment providing hours of 'people watching'. There is a bar beside the pool which serves snacks and drinks all day and provides some much needed shelter during the mid day. The pool is on two levels, devided by a waterfall. The quieter area is at the bottom of this. The pool area was always clean and there was a member of staff going round constantly picking up any rubbish or empty glasses and occasionally take drinks orders and if you tip will regularly come back and make sure your ok and fill your drinks up.

The Beach;
There are 2 beaches on Sol cayo coco. I'll refer to them as the small beach and the big beach and when you get there you'l see just what I mean.
The small beach is literally 20 meters from the pool. It's long and narrow and edged with tall palm trees. It is also lined with hammocks swinging in the trees. I found this to have a slightly stronger breeze than the big beach.
The big beach is just unbelievable! Its huge and deserted!! Its just literally the other side of the pool. You walk out a set of gates, across a bridge which is made from tree branches (sounds bizarre but is really lovely), which has a stream running under it then your on the big beach. Pure white satin sand. Crystal clear warm turqoise waters that seem to go on forever. When your in the sea you can just keep walking further and further out and it just doesn't get deep. The first few days we were there it was quite windy, which in all honesty was nice because it was quite cooling but by the end the winds had gone and the sea was practically still!
I have no bad words to say about this holiday. The food, and there was plenty of it, was just delicious! Everyone was extreemely friendly and the weather I couldn't fault (I went in the last week of april/first week of may 2006). The only thing I will say is that if you can, upgrade your flight to premium. I'm average height, 5'7 and found it nearly unbearably cramped (I travelled with Thomas cook), so when I go back next year I've paid the excess for the premium seats because it really is too long a flight to be as cramped as that.

43 Thank Erichar1
Birmingham
Reviewed September 18, 2006

Well? I'm briish and i think this is the best hotel on the Cayos. My wife and I stayed here from Sept. 3rd. for 2 weeks. We had a fabulous time.

Flight - 18 hour delay due to Monarch Airlines giving our crew away to another flight. At first they told us they didn't know where the plane was!
What? Lost a plane?

Transfer was quick and efficient. Arrived at the hotel in 20 minutes.

We had a room overlooking the crazy golf and our sea view was nice. The room was clean and our maid was very good. The bags were bought up in less than 10 minutes and this was 5.30 am.

First walkabout of the hotel and grounds were amazing. And this was the same morning as we never went to bed. We had been up now about 36 hours straight, but wanted to enjoy it all.

The main beach was very nice but the Playa Largo beach was even better.They should stick a bar there. The large beach bar and restaurant was only open the first day as they closed it for refurbishment for the summer season. There was a little beach bar that opened from 10am till 3pm. This could do with opening longer tho as the people had to go to pool bar for drinks after it shut.

The staff at the pool bar were great, especially Arley, Esteban, and Orlando, The lobby bar was ok but way to hot in there. Duane at the cuban cocktail bar needs attitude adjustment therapy. That chip on his shoulder could feed a 3rd world country.

The food - I have problems abroad eating as i am a very picky eater but I ate every day in the buffet. We didn't go to the International as we didn't fancy the menu, but the buffet food was that good that we didn't need to.

We did'nt do any trips as this was just a chill out holiday. We went horse riding and went to a secluded beach. So peaceful.

Altogether, we had a great time and have decided to go back next year instead of going to Thailand.

One last thing, the rep Linda could not do enough for people. She is the best rep I have ever had on any holiday. And I've been on a lot! She did everything possible and went over and beyond the call of duty. So all the people who complained about this place, go to Blackpool next year.

• Liked — The Beaches
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — take things for the cubans, there are very poor but proud
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
40 Thank Sharper1000
staffordshire england
Reviewed September 17, 2006

we flew from manchester on the 27 aug and landed in santa clara airport[i think there being over ambitious calling it that]and after clearing customs where the staff looked a bit hostile especially to one young couple who where hauled off for a full medical examination we then got on an air conditioned bus for an hour and a half until during which time we crossed a cause way over the lagoon there were no barriers on the road so if the bus swerved you would end up in the lagoon my partner found this a bit of a worry. we arrived at the sol cayo santa maria.it is beautiful much better than the melia next door and thats a higher star.the pools fab the beach even more fab and the sea wow.

take the strongest insect repellent you can and always wear it and take after bite and anti histamines youll need them even the staff get bitten.the foods brill the buffets fab and all the al la carte resturants fab we had the best pizza we ever had there mmmm
the staff are so polite but they cant make tea they use hot milk!!
take your own t-bags.id say 9/10 cause of the mozzies

• Liked — the whole resort and staff were polite and helpful
  • Disliked — the mozzys and the other biting bugs
  • Tips/Secrets — wear max mozzy repellent and if you sign travel cheq your sig must match exactley
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
13 Thank mozzykiller
Arbroath, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2006

We were at this hotel between the 17th Aug - 31Aug.
As many others have written recently I was a bit worried about arriving at this hotel after reading the reveiws before i left, but fear not it was absolutely fantastic.
I think the only down side was the long delay to our flight going out of Manchester ( about 5hours), which wasn't helped with the same flight being delayed the following week too. Our flight coming home was on time.
We got through security no problem, coach transfer didn't take long at all as we were all going to the same hotel. Got checked into our room quite quickly with the bell boys bringing your suitcases to your room soon after. With the delay we were later getting there so we just headed to the lobby bar for a drink and a wee look round.
Our room was on the 2nd floor overlooking the crazy golf, it was clean and tidy, maid came in every day, air con was great. The food was really good too, waiters always ready to get you a table and drinks, we tipped the waiters every night and also waiters in the bars too.
We stayed at the pool most days, though the beach was beautiful and the sea warm. Tended to keep going to quieter pool at the bottom of stairs away from competitions etc, our choice as there was just the two of us (no kids).The shows that were on at night were good very professional when it came to the dancing, didn't like the miming to songs though. We were told to try the disco after the show but it was not very busy, then we were told to go on Tues or Thurs as alot of people from other hotels came to the disco which was right enough the place was jumping on the tues we went.
As for the trips we went on the Dophin Deluxe Tour which was really good, alot of walking on first day of tour visiting other towns such as Trinidad, some people did moan as they just wanted to swim with the dolphins. We heard that the hotel you stay for one night during trip was not very good but i found it to be fine considering. Enjoyed my swim with dolphins but felt really bad at the end as the trainers were waiting for tips at the gate as we left but we didn't take money in with us. We also done the overnight stay in Havana which again was really good, we also had a very good guide her name was Kathrine and she really looked after you, went to the famous Club Tropicana at night which was very good, the dancers, the music etc. But beware if you have kids with you they can't get into Tropicana as it is over 18 only, we did have a couple on our trip with young children they just stayed at the hotel and i know they still enjoyed the trip to Havana itself. The last trip we booked was the speedboats as we heard good things about it but unfortunately due to the hurricane ernesto warnig it was cancelled, we got a full refund.
The entire holiday is one that i will remember for a long time and i can't wait to go back, made loads of new friends.Totally recommend this holiday destination to everyone.

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — No air con in bars
  • Tips/Secrets — Make sure you take mosquito repellent. Always tip its their living after all
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
24 Thank LauraandGeorge
Reading, Berkshire, England
Reviewed September 1, 2006

Myself, my wife and 3 sons, teenagers aged 14,15 and 15, stayed in the Sol Cayo Coco hotel from 16 Aug to 30 Aug 2006 travelling with Thomas Cook. We flew from Gatwick during the airport security upheavel and arrived at Jardines Del Rey airport minus one suitcase - all the clothes for the 14 and one of the 15 year old lads - not a good start. The transfer to the hotel was good and reasonably quick and we soon sorted ourselves out. With help from other holiday makers we managed to keep the lads clothed - the suitcase never turned up!

I agree with everything stated by the trip advisor from Hertfordshire. The hotel is excellent value for money. The staff could not be more helpful, the choice of food was good and plentiful and the setting superb. I thoroughly enjoyed bacon and eggs for breakfast every morning, a real treat! The rooms are basic but clean and there was never a problem with hot water, towels or bed linen. The lads made lots of friends and we all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.This was by far the best family holiday we have had so far despite the loss of the suitcase and yes I would go back.

The beach is excellent and reached by a short walk through lovely well kept gardens. There are plenty of beds and a good beach restaurant that serves food and drink and also a small beach bar. The sea can be a bit choppy but this wasn't a problem and it was very warm in the water. Generally there is a nice breeze on the beach - different to around the pool area. where it gets extremely hot. The beach offers some good walks in both directions and plenty of water sports.

The animation team worked really hard with daytime activities and evening shows and the disco was good fun especially for the lads. I'm not a trip person but the speedboat trip is a must and my wife said the colourful cuba day out was good value for money.

If I had a complaint it would be about the 24h lobby bar in the main reception area. Some nights it was understaffed and they were reluctant to serve the beer - never had a problem getting beer during the day. I think their reluctance was due to the fact that it took so long to pour a beer - at quiet periods they would serve it!

I've read on here reports of people moaning about the lack of air conditioning in the reception area, The reason is that this area is deliberately designed as open plan with minimal glass - to reduce damage from storms and hurricanes. As a consequence air conditioning is impractical. There are fans in the lobby bar area.

I had few problems with mosquitos although my wife had 30 odd bites on her back one evening. We had no problems in the rooms. Our remedy was to spray the curtains, door and air conditioning unit with insect repellant and to use Superdrugs own brand mosquito repellant whilst out - advice from a person who has travelled to this area for 20 odd years. The night my wife was bitten she forgot to use the repellant!!

On several occasions, whilst lying on the beach, I had a little laugh to myself recollecting some of the adverse comments I had read on this site. At one point we were considering changing our holiday because of these comments. I really do not understand some peoples views. I met 6 or more couples who had returned for second visits and one group who were back for the 5th time. I spoke to lots of people and many said they would return - nobody I spoke to said they disliked the hotel. No one I met had suffered from any stomach problems although I did hear of a few children who had ear problems - one of ours had problems on the last day but we had taken some antibiotics from the UK in readiness for such a problem.

If you are thinking of going to the Cayos and have kids this is the place to go, you'll have a great time - please don't be put off by adverse comments on here - remember some people enjoy moaning and are never happy!

• Liked — The beach, the location and the friendly staff
  • Disliked — Poor service in lobby bar
  • Tips/Secrets — Go now before the prices rise - excellent value for money