“Unforgettable holiday”
Review of Sol Cayo Coco

Sol Cayo Coco
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Reviewed February 2, 2014

It was our first stay in Sol Cayo Coco and we really loved it. We had absolutely wonderful, relaxing holiday. We stayed in two double rooms; both were very spacious, comfortable and well equipped. Room service was excellent.
Nice food, especially freshly made smoothies (guava smoothie was my favourite one!), pancakes and omelettes. Grilled meat or fish every day, adequate selection of fresh veg, pizzas, spaghetti and lovely ice-cream. Restaurants staff very friendly and helpful.
Fantastic drinks in all bars, we loved pinacolada, white russian and of course mohito :) There was also delicious coffee in the lobby bar.
Great entertainment every night, we liked music shows in the lobby bar (incredible saxophonist!), amphitheatre shows and of course disco :)
The location of the Sol is just beautiful: two gorgeous sandy beaches just few steps from the hotel. On the small bridge leading to the Playa Larga we could observe mangroves wildlife: crabs (some of them were really huge!), interesting fish and enchanting birds. Really worth to stop for a few minutes and watch it.
Would we recommend Sol Cayo Coco? Definitely YES!!! Great hotel, great staff, great holiday!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank DorotkaZ
Luis Alberto H, General Manager at Sol Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Dear Dorotka,

Thank you for your excellent comments on this page about your stay in our hotel.
We will consider all your opinions in order to develop the satisfaction of our clients. It is always a pleasure to know your opinions about our hotel in order to improve our services.
We will transmit your comments to our staff and I am sure we all will be very happy to welcome you back in the near future.

Regards,

Reviewed February 1, 2014

We have just returned from our holiday to cayo coco,we went as a family and a close friend,the service we received in the hotel was lovely from start to finish,the food in the restaurant was a lot better than I have ever experienced in a all inclusive hotel lovely breakfast to dinner every meal was enjoyable and that's coming from me (a head chef for 10 years)!If I could take the restaurant staff home they would certainly make any restaurant in the UK a credit,Elvis the evening waiter couldn't do more for you,Yulka in the morning was just lovely with my 9 month old daughter everyday she heaped attention on her!The hotel rooms could use a little maintenance and the hotel is slightly isolated,but when the weather is perfect you wouldn't want to leave apart from go to the private beach! All in all we would certainly return to the Sol cayo coco.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Chris F

Dear Chris,

Thank you very much for all your nice comments and for recommending our hotel to other tripadvisor readers.

I am also glad to read that you had an enjoyable holiday and that you would definitely return to our hotel. with your family.

The staff which is the largest credit the Hotel we make every effort to ensure that guests have a memorable vacation.

If that´s the case please do not hesitate to contact us in order to take personal care of your reservation and make sure you will receive all the ad values that as returning guest you are entitle to.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

We are two senior (60 /61) citizens from England, and we loved this hotel. The staff here are excellent and the animation and entertainment team superb. The shows were really varied with some fabulous dancing great music and funny comedy. Impossible to please everybody ALL the time but lots of variety and lots of talent. We enjoyed the dancing classes in the afternoon, after years of trying I think I can at least attempt the merengue now, and the Zunga in the mornings.
I am not a fan of the louder miked up games around the pool but they are not on for long, are easy to escape from and were popular with other guests.
We stayed from Jan 16th to 30th and the weather was not good our first week so the excellence and variety of the entertainment was appreciated, 2nd week gorgeous hot sunny weather.
Cayo Coco is fairly isolated but the hotel setting stunningly beautiful, 2 fabulous beaches Playa Larga our favorite. Possible to walk to the Tryp hotel 15 mins away by road or beach or take a shuttle bus (open top excellent views ) to Sol Cayo Guillermo takes over an hour but well worth it, and use these hotel's all inclusive facilities. We also enjoyed the horse riding (10 pesos for an hour) from just outside the hotel.
There is a small market but no nearby bank but you can change cash easily at the reception.
We did not take any of the available trips but there are plenty available at a cost.
The food was very good and varied, Snapper together with other fresh fish cooked to order delicious.The beach restaurant has a stunning setting but a little disappointed with the food the other a la carte (Don Diego) was very nice but for me too salty, but these are minor niggles, we ate VERY WELL. The Cuban parties around lunchtime We really enjoyed.
I am not a tipper normally but I did tip here because the staff were so good, this was appreciated by the staff but not expected and the same good service was received tipping or not. The staff seemed to pool their tips which seemed nice to me.
Check in was quick and efficient and our room was lovely (3211). Minor problems we had were sorted out promptly and the room was cleaned to a high standard. The furniture was basic but I don't go on holiday to look at furniture.
The people we spoke too all loved this hotel, and I thought it had a lovely atmosphere. Mainly guests from UK, Canada and Argentina (great fun dancing in the disco),with a fewer number from Denmark, Germany Poland etc and a good blend it was.
I would like there to have been more non smoking areas in the bar, stronger coffee at breakfast in the buffet (excellent in the bar very weak in the buffet), and more consistent red wine, a couple of times it seemed watery but this did improve (maybe a bad batch when we first arrived) and was usually very good. The beer was excellent, and possible to have Gordon's gin. Cocktails I didnt try too often as gin wine and beer were my drinks of choice but the occasional mojito was very nice.
My overall view a few things not to my taste, but live and let live, and overall this was a fabulous holiday. Thanks to all the staff including the manager who is very hands on and very approachable. My wife cried when we left and I had to a tear in my eye too.
Gorgeous beach, friendly people great holiday. THANK YOU SOL CAYO COCO.

Room Tip: Higher floors (3 or 4) nicer views
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank chrisngail
Luis Alberto H, General Manager at Sol Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2014

Hello dear guest,

We want to thank you for sharing your experiences with the rest of the travelers. We are happy to hear that you found our resort as great as you’ve expected.
The holiday is exactly what you make of it and our guests have a lot of entertainment choices in this resort: amazing beaches, daily and evening activities, trips and the best staff.

It will be great to welcome you a next time. Email me please.

Greetings,
Luis Alberto Heras

Reviewed January 31, 2014

What a wonderfull experience we had.The staff from the General Manager through to the gardeners,couldnt have done any more to make our holiday a wonderfull experience.Led bye The G/M Louis, his team were par excellent.Entertained by the in house team who were just fabulous with their nightly shows and performed with enthusiasm always giving a professional performance more accustomed to a West End Show here in the UK.To give names would be endless as ALL Louis staff excelled,in my oppinion.But to name a couple.Micky,Suselle and the rest of the girls on the entertainment side.Anelby,Leanna,Joycel and Joel.Hector and so on and so on.Just fabulous and never without a smile the whole lot of them. Would I go again,you bet I would.Thanks Louis for a fabulous time with you,keep it up.

Room Tip: Sea View,second floor.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank James W

Dear James,

I would like to thank you so much for your review; we appreciate it a lot as a way to inform to all travelers who we are in your owns words.
All guests can’t help falling in love with our beaches, and of course, our staff and the rest of our services make their holidays a memorable one.
Everyone here worked very hard and with great illusion.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you once again next spring.
Best wishes,
Luis Alberto Heras

Reviewed January 31, 2014

We returned to the sol after 9 years traverling round Cuba and it is still the Best hotel in the Cayo's just the right size beautiful beaches and great food plenty to do and great entertainment the staff are the best in Cuba just say good morning or hello and you will have the best service we met some very nice people would like to say thanks to Jackie and Alan from London for making it a great holiday and thanks for your company

Would like to thank all the staff but too many to name all I hope is Thomas Cook change there mind about leaving Gatwick or another Airline takes up this route so us people from the South of England are able to once again go to The Cayo's from Gatwick
Wishing you all at Sol Cayo Coco all the very best

Room Tip: Quietest rooms look over the football pitch or the crazy golf pitch
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank josie2

Dear Josie,

Thanks for posting your comment on this prestigious website.
I am glad I was able to rest in our hotel and spent a happy holiday.
We also would like a new aerial route is incorporated, are our many repeat customers who wish to return.
Thank you for your good wishes for all of us, and we'll see you among our customers.
Greetings from paradise.

General Manager.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

We sadly returned from out holiday today after flying out the 23rd January, for one week.
When we arrived, we were met with a fantastic rep called Hecta who made sure we were all on the right coach. He then welcomed us all, giving us information as we made the 12/15 minute transfer to Sol Cayo Coco. When we arrived we were handed a fresh cocktail with warm smiles and a friendly welcome. Check in was smooth and straight forward, you had the option to let the bell boy take your bags to the room. we were in room 2231 which on looked the crazy golf with sea view. The room was amazing! Peaceful clean and a spacious room. Once in your room you didnt hear anything. The beds were comfy and always clean! We had pretty flowers and swans made and left in our room each day.
The food was great! Had the option from what was on the buffet and fresh meat,fish,pizza,pasta,stir fry. Lots more!

The staff were so friendly always smiling and so happy, couldnt of done anymore for you! The manager was also very warming, walking around the hotel always saying hello. A big thank you to all of you including our fantastic rep Hecta who by far is the best rep I have ever come across.

The beach is the best beach I have ever been to, clear, calm beautiful sea and sand!

We have already recommended this hotel to people but will be returning with our family next year!

Thank you again!!

Kerry and Sarah

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sarah J
Luis Alberto H, General Manager at Sol Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2014

Dear Sarah,

Thank you for your visit and your positive review. It was a pleasure to attend you during your stay.
I agree with you our staff is the main reason we have many repeaters every year.
We hope you will be one of them soon.

Thanks for reminding me, hard work together with the staff to make our guests vacation an unforgettable experience and to make them feel at home.If you come back with his family, will be waiting for you, please email me.

Best regards from Sol Cayo Coco.

Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

So where to start!? My wife myself and 3 friends went for week of Jan 12. Had a great little getaway despite having to fly across Canada from BC just to fly out of Montreal cause there is no flights out of Vancouver.

Beaches: I'm a huge fan of Maui but the beaches in Cuba are absolutely stunning, the hotel has 2 fantastic white sand beaches one being Playa Larga. We also did the bus trip to Playa Pilar well worth the $5 cuc's but it's a good hour on the shuttle each way.

Service: The best I've dealt with in our travels! Friendly outgoing staff that makes you feel welcome in their country.

Entertainment: We did some of resort events like the disco they also had some interesting events for the kids in the evening but all in all very quiet nights playing cards out by the pool.

Food: lots of fresh fruit, smoothies, omelet bar and tons of variety. The food was excellent absolutely no complaints. Consistently good

Hotel: The pool area has been kept up very well. The lobby area was also nice at the time the fountain was being cleaned and painted. The grounds were kept up very well and the gardeners do and excellent job. It seems they're really trying to change the resort and clean things up. No wifi but I go to get away from that stuff so I didn't miss it. They have a local Internet cafe good enough.

Rooms: so here's my biggest problem with the resort. The rooms are tired and starting to show they're age. The shelves, night stands & tv stand are made from plywood. The beds are straight from an army base (if you like hard beds you'll love these). The rooms are clean and tidy never had any issues with that. 4 days in a row we complained about no hot water in the shower by the 5th day we gave up. Had hot water everywhere else but in the shower. The fridge was restocked daily except the bottled water, had to constantly ask the front desk for water. Coming from the Secrets franchise to this was a shock.

At the end of the day I would come back regardless of the room issues, hardly spent anytime in the room other than to sleep. Can't wait to see the new improvement when we come back.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank carhartguy

Dear customer,

Thank you very much for your long and detailed comments.

We always learned from our guests comments and yours won´t be an exemption.

I am glad that you found our service of a high standard and that you felt that our staff was always there for you.

Regarding mattresses is very difficult to satisfy all preferences, some customers prefer soft mattresses and others prefer hard mattresses, that of hanging each, we all love our pillow.
I am taking note of your comments and I promise we will give them the attention they required.

I hope to return to find new changes, we have some plans for 2014, the Wifi is almost finished, please email me.

Kind regards from Sol Cayo Coco.