“Vacation at the Sol Cayo Cocp”
Review of Sol Cayo Coco

Sol Cayo Coco
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
South Toronto
“Vacation at the Sol Cayo Cocp”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Just came back from the Sol and had such an amazing time. Anyone that has complaints about ANYTHING regarding this hotel, do not listen to them. The rooms, people, food, drinks, hospitality, waiter, waitresses, etc., etc., are second to none. Yes, our room could use a little fresh paint but who cares. It was clean and that is what counts. How much time do your spend in your room anyway?? We were so impressed and plan to go back next April for two weeks. I contacted Ricardo and pre-booked a ground floor room and that is exactly what we got. If you are hesitating on booking because of negative reviews, DON'T. You will have a great time and with no issues. Relax and enjoy this wonderful resort and all it has to offer.

14 Thank zones2
Ricardo M, General Manager at Sol Cayo Coco, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Hello,
Your comments are much appreciated and we are most thankful for your review. If you decide to have another wonderful holiday in Sol Cayo Coco we will be at your disposal for any request you may have. You would be our very distinguished guest. Thank you again.
director.general.scc@meliacuba.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (842)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Cavendish, Canada
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I was at the Sol in May 2012 for 2 weeks. This resort is so much lovelier then the Tryp.
I really had a great time here, the staff is top drawer. It is a smaller resort with great food, and the staff really go above and beyond to help you have a great vacation. They never had their hand out for a tip, they just wanted to help.
The bartenders in the lobby bar were so much fun, all of them. I wish I could remember their names, the only name I remember is Saul. What a doll!
I forgot something in the room at the Tryp so I went to see(not thinking I was ever going to see it again) the PR guy Angel (not the correct spelling but he is my angel!) to see if he could recover it for me.
He said let me make soom calls, he knew some of the workers at the Tryp. The next morning I was heading down for breakfast and Angel stopped me, he had my lost item in his hand. I couldn't believe it, I thought I'd never see it again after the hard time I received at Tryp.
That is another story, check my review of the Tryp.
The food at this resort is some of the nicest I've ever eaten in Cuba and I loved the pizza at the pool bar. The cook there is so funny, I laughed until I was crying one day, he was alway so upbeat.
Juan Carlos at the front desk was very helpful and professional, there is also a young lady on the front desk with freckles, I wish I remembered her name. I think she worked 24/7 she was always on the desk and was very helpful and sweet to me.

If you like having the staff expect tip for everything then maybe the Tryp is for you.

I would recommend this resort to friends and family and I have.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
9 Thank Banshee1Luv
Dear guest,
Thank you for reassuring to us that we are making the difference. We are delighted to read your review. We have passed your compliments to the members of the staff you mentioned. We hope we can welcome you again in Sol Cayo Coco.
Kind regards,
Aldergrove, Canada
Reviewed April 15, 2013

This was our 3rd trip here and it was even better than our first 2 trips. Yes, the hotel is older and yes sometimes things do not work perfectly, SO WHAT! does everything work perfectly at home every single day? Think about where you are, go enjoy the sun and sand and stop trying to compare Cuba to your home country. Enjoy your vacation and embrace the people and their culture. Here are my thoughts on the place:

ROOMS: Basic and very clean! Really what else do you need? We only ever were there to sleep! Thanks you Idolaidys, you are wonderful at your job and we looked forward to your beautiful smile every day.

FOOD: Some is amazing, some not! YOU ARE IN CUBA! Try the local cuisine. Black beans, rice and pork. The fresh stations are worth the wait. You would have to wait in a restaurant for your food so I see no problem with waiting in line. My husband and I use the divide and conquer method. We each stand in a different line and get enough for both of us. The fried rice station was wonderful as well as the fresh meats and fish. Keep in mind the the locals NEVER get beef! If you want the best omelet ever, you see Miakel in the mornings.
If you can not find something to eat in the buffet you were not looking. The a la carte restaurants were just okay, the service is great, the food not so much but they are working on fixing that. For me, the buffet was amazing and that is what I preferred.
Thank you to Meylin, Yanitza, Yulka and Maikel you made our morning meals an awesome experience and set us up feeling happy and smiling for the day. Elvis, you made our evening meal. You made every guest in your section feel that they were the only ones there.

BAR: Yes the drinks at the pool bar are served in plastic cups. Do you really want to deal with broken glass around a pool where the children are and everyone is barefoot? To those that bring their BIG bubba mugs! If you must have this, then drink all of your drink and do not throw out half of it. I saw way to much of this, Poor form! I use the Costco coffee mug and it works just great for beer when I am on the beach. In the hotel lounge you get real glasses. The bartenders are wonderful and the servers are too. Special thanks to Duanne - good luck in the competition in Mexico, Orlando, Roly, Luis, Eddie, Josi.

ENTERTAINMENT: They just keep going. They entertain and keep the guest hopping all day with activities and are AMAZING with the children, I can hardly wait to take my grandchildren. So, after all day keeping the guest busy with activities these same ones put on a show in the evening at the open air theater, then, join you in the disco! The very best show we saw was Show Man, a tribute to Micheal Jackson.

POOL: Can not tell you much about the pool. I went for the sun, sand and ocean. After spending the $ for the trip I find it pretty much a no brainer not to enjoy the real water. I can swim in pools at home. Go to the beach over the little bridge and you will be so much happier. They have a nice little bar set up down there and LOTS of loungers!

Tips:
If you must have Ketchup, take it with you, same for hot sauces. Food is not spicy and most of these condiments are very hard to get in Cuba.
Take SUNSCREEN. We take both 15 and 30. I buy the 3 pack of each at Costco.
Take a beach towel with you! I buy mine at Costco or Walmart and leave them there for staff. Otherwise you may have your towel stolen by another GUEST! Laundry is done off site in Moron so sometimes beach towels do not get back very early and you have to wait to exchange it. Also if you want hand towels or face clothes, taken them with you. They do not supply these. I take my cheap Ikea ones and always have those eeze towel packets with me in my bag at all times.
Take toilet paper! Yes there is paper in your room but it is very flimsy. If this doesn't bother you do not worry about taking it.
Take your bug spray, just in case. You never know when the flies and mosquitoes are going to be there. Better safe than sorry.
Take your inflatable beach/pool toys and air mattresses. You can get them, but they are expensive and not always available.

Take the Espectacular trip to Ceigo de Avila. It is worth the money. The jeep safari trip is also great. If you want to see the real Cuba you must get off Cayo Coco. Thanks to our Westjest rep Lino we were able to hire a car and driver for a day trip into Ceigo de Avila at a very reasonable price. Thank you Lester from Cubancab. He spoke very good English and took us to the Pauyet Galeria then off to our friends house. On the way home we had a very eye opening tour in Moron looking for Serrano coffee. After visiting 6 different grocery stores, I will always be thankful for what I have here in Canada.

The hotel has become our home away from home. That is the feeling we get. The staff make it truly a beautiful place to go to. From the moment you check in to the time you leave. I must say there was a tear in my eye once again leaving.

A very special thank you to Sandor, Danielys, and Ricardo in Quality and customer service, Ricardo the new manager, Lino in the terrace garden, Aldolfo in the front garden/beach, Meylin, Yanitza, Yulka, Maikel, Elvis in the buffet, Idolaidys, Orlando, Duanne, Eddie, Roly and Luis.

We feel very blessed to have met you all and been embraced as family!
We are looking forward to our next trip in December.

Room Tip: We love the rooms overlooking the mini golf course. If you can do stairs, get the 2nd or 3rd floors.
6 Thank Patricia R
Ricardo M, General Manager at Sol Cayo Coco, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear guest,
We want to thank you for such a wonderful review. We are also very blessed to be able to count on you as another loyal member of our big family. We have passed your compliments to the members of the staff. We are working on fixing the areas of improvements. We hope we can see you and you family soon in your HOME AWAY FROM HOME.
Best regards,
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 13, 2013

1. Bring a sweater
- some nights, not all, but some get a little chilly

2. Change your Money into Pesos in Your Own Country
- Cuba thinks that their dollar is worth more then the Canadian and American dollar and will rip you off with the exchange rate change your money before you go all they accept down there is pesos.

3. Dont Sit on the Patio
- The main dining room has a patio well it may seem appealing you will get horrible service out there if any at all and it smells like sewage. Sit in the very back of the dining room and make sure you make contact with Erick he is the nicest waiter in the world and will make sure that you are well taken care of. He goes out of his way to make sure your dining experience is a good one.

4. Wake up Early
- If you are not up before 7:30am reserving your poolside chair you won't get one. The pool is very small and there is not enough chairs poolside. They fill up fast so if you like to sleep in forget about the pool. didn't even get into the pool the first three days we were there because of this problem. Had to go to the Tryp to use their pool. Which is HUGE.

5. Staff
- The hotel staff is what makes this place what it is and everyone of them are amazing and will help with any problem you have all you have to do is ask. This hotel has some of the best Staff among them are Erick, Voisi, Oscar, Niurka, Sergio and many more they are what makes this place. Would definitely go back.

6. Sunscreen
- Make sure you bring lots the Cuba government regulates sunscreen so it it $31.10 for a 125ml bottle. Make sure you bring enough so you don't run out or they will rip you off.

6 Thank sassybonita007
Dear guest,
Thank you for all your comments; they are very valuable to us because they help us to improve our daily service. We have passed your rewarding words to the members of staff you mentioned. It would be a pleasure if we could welcome you again in Sol Cayo Coco.
Greetings,
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Had two weeks (March/April 2013) and enjoyed our stay. Due to my wife's mobility problems I received a ground floor room (2104) with a walk-in shower - much appreciated.
Staff extremely friendly and the cappuccinos with a shot of cacao are great after the meals.
The Don Diego gourmet restaurant is excellent and we really enjoyed the background playing on the grand piano, a beautiful selection of my favourite music.
The beach was rather limiting as it always seemed to be high tide and cramped for a lounger.
Non-smoking areas especially in the restaurant would be appreciated, the passenger waiting area at Marine Del Rey airport is now non-smoking, a huge improvement.
We will return, a very nice stay, thanks very much

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms in the #21** series are good, walk-in showers are available on request
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello dear guest,
Thank you for all your comments. We have read your review together with our management; we have taken into account your suggestion. We do hope you will return to our hotel. If you decide to visit us again, please just let us know. You will be very welcomed!!!!!
Edmundston, New Brunswick, Canada
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We arrived on March 31st to April 7th 2013.
We had great service from the staff.
They helped us fill the register form and brought our luguage at our room.
The employees were very friendly.
Entertainment every evening with show time
Food was excellent.
Beach was clean, hot and sunny, beautiful.
We had our nails done.

Room Tip: Rooms on top, are very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank Luc G
Ricardo M, General Manager at Sol Cayo Coco, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear guest,
On behalf of our Management and Staff we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your good comments about your stay at our hotel. It is very nice to know that all the efforts and work made by our team turned out as the satisfaction of our guests. We hope we can count on your visit in the near future.
Best wishes,
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Lovely hotel. Rooms basic but quite large and clean. The maid always made an effort to leave little touches in room. Food ok lots of choice but buffet only luke warm. Alhough worth the wait for freshly cooked fish and meat at the food stations. Staff are very friendley always ready to greet you with a smile. The beach over the bridge was the largest and the best to go to. Drinks round the pool served in small ( you had to get two at a time ) flimsy plastic glasses, but noticed some guests with thermos cups which pool bar staff readily filled for them (they must have stayed here before ). Took a two day trip to Havana. FANTASTIC !!!! well worth the money. Only downside was when we had one of our pool towels stolen and had to pay to replace it. Also watch out for the little flies that bite. Gave up counting after 50 bites although my husband escaped scot free. Make sure you take anti-histamines to stop the itching. Overall a good holiday and fairly cheap considering the distance but not true visit to Cuba unless you see Havana

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank maurtaff
Ricardo M, General Manager at Sol Cayo Coco, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Dear guests,
First of all thank you for your comments; we appreciate them as an important tool which helps us to satisfy our clients. We are sorry you didn’t feel 100% happy with our resort, but you should know that we are commitment with offering a better service everyday and there are some experiences that prove it. We encourage you to visit us again.
Greetings,
TRYP Cayo Coco
TRYP Cayo Coco
#7 of 12 in Cayo Coco
Memories Flamenco Beach Resort

Been to Sol Cayo Coco? Share your experiences!