We have never been to Cuba and were a bit apprehensive after reading negative reviews.
After visiting the resort I have to wonder if we stayed at the same place!
Our arrival and check in at the lobby went smoothly. Within 10 minutes we were in our ocean view room. The room was clean and the bathroom was lovely. Huge shower and always hot water, although the water pressure is low, as most hotels are.
The buffet was good, especially breakfast. Wide variety of food.
Coffee from the lobby bar was amazing. Our children loved the lemonade slushies as well.
None of us had any stomach issues at all.
Bottled water is served everywhere, as well as a large bottle left daily in room.
The gift shop carries almost everything you could need and the prices were very reasonable.
Lots of activities to do and our kids were never bored.
In the evening after supper we would sit in the lobby and listen to the entertainment, which varied through out the week. We had 2 magicians perform for us at our table and they were fantastic!
The evening shows are quite fun.
They have a game room open in the evenings with two wii's and a PS3.
There are a lot of birds everywhere, although we never had a problem with bird droppings on chairs etc, as some people have written.
In fact the hotel itself is clean and the grounds kept up beautifully.
The weather was lovely everyday, but very windy. Unfortunately the high winds kept the resort marina closed. The one beach was red flagged 5 out of 7 days. The other larger beach was fine and the wind made for some fun waves. The water on that beach is very shallow and great if you have children.
Also the wind kept away any flying insects. Our whole week we saw 1 mosquito. We never saw any bugs or creepy crawlers. And only one lizard much to the kids disappointment.
Never had an issue getting loungers or a hut on the beach. Always plenty of shade. The beaches are cleaned daily for seaweed.
The pool is well maintained and plenty of seating.
The staff is simply amazing. So friendly and respectful.
They genuinely seem to like everyone especially children. Every time my son got a drink he got a high five and the waitress at the buffet was fabulous with our daughter.
Blanca and Leanna at the buffet were so great. They kep the same table open for us the whole stay. These women were so warm and welcoming. On our last day the whole family got hugs and kisses from these great ladies and I now understand why people go back over and over again to the same resort.
I never felt uncomfortable or unsafe. Our 10 year old son was taking pictures one day and was wondering down the paths. We were looking for him and couldn't find him. A security guard saw him and sat with him making a grasshopper out of palm leaves until we came. It was so greatly appreciated.
If there is a child by themselves, no matter the age, staff are making sure they get back to a parent.
A couple of tips:
- if you wear glasses take glass wipes. The wind was so strong a couple of days my glasses were full of wet blowing sand.
- take your own beach towels. The cost of replacing a hotel towel was 10 cuc. Take your own and you don't have to worry.
- if you use sweetner instead of sugar for coffee etc, bring your own.
- make sure to buy some of the local artisans work. It is really wonderful.
The Sol is really a family or couples resort.
After the show ends at 10:30 in the evening it gets quiet. I believe they stop serving alcohol from 2 am - 7 am. Which is good for us with families but not so good for those who want to enjoy the night life.
We never saw any unruly drunk people or even heard much noise at all after 11 pm.
A very quiet, relaxing place to holiday.
Our family absolutely loved it and can not wait to book for next year!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A good standard property with an excellent beachfront location. Sol Cayo Coco is the only hotel with access to two different but equally charming beaches, situated amidst gardens and palm grove facing the sea and the white fine sand beach. The hotel is ideal for families with children, couples, honeymooners and weddings. This paradise is the perfect spot to combine great fun with fantastic relaxation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Prodigios Interactivos SA, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and TravelUp so you can book your Sol Cayo Coco reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sol Cayo Coco Hotel Cayo Coco
- Sol Hotel Cayo Coco
- Sol Cayo Coco Cuba