“pre xmas break”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
manchester
“pre xmas break”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

we stayed in the Sol Cayo Coco in early december 2012, the weather was great,It is a lovely hotel, with a beautifull beach, rooms are clean and well furnished, It is a great place to chill, Food is ok there is always something to eat, Lobby bar serves good fresh coffee all day, the staff are very helpful, there is entertainment on in the evening, and the entertainment team do stuff all day round the pool,I will certainly return

Room Tip: first or second floor sea facing rooms are the best
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank jax1948

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (841)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
manchester, england
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed 21st December - 4th January 2012 and had the most amazing time ever.
So this was our 11th time to the Sol Cayo Coco,
when we arrived we we're greeted off the coach by our Cuban "family" with once again a warm welcome, music playing and Yianni stood at the coach doors with a tray of drinks for everyone who was getting off the coaches. There was a que at check-in, yes but you would expect that anywhere when 2-3 full coaches of people arrive.
The weather was good there was a 'cold' front come in but it certainly wasn't cold to us after what we had come from.
The mosqitos are bad but there is nothing the hotel can do about that, it is nature even though i wasn't happy about bit within 5 minutes of being there, but i would recommend taking a good repellent.
I'd like to massively thank ALL of the animation team and dancers for working hard to entertain us and putting on amazing shows at night, also the dancers and the staff who worked on new years eve when they should of been at home with their families and they did everything to make our night amazing instead.
I didn't hear one complaint about anything while we were there, but one thing i did hear is two people walk past me in the buffet on NYE and say "I don't see whats more special in here tonight than any other night" -some people don't realise the lengths people go to
Thank you to everybody who worked hard in the restaurant to make Christmas eve and new years eve really nice evenings, organising the sittings for dinner and as I was the first one to walk in on new years eve Dianelys, Mario and all the waiters and waitresses were stood there clapping and wishing us a happy new year...
I'd also like to thank Orlando and Dioni on the pool bar, Poochy/Luis on the lobby bar, Andy who worked wherever they put him and Jendy in the lobby and the restaurant for remembering our orders and always working as hard as they could.
Yulka and Blanca in a morning, and Yordhanka and sometimes Jendy in the evening for always taking care of us in the buffet. The men on the grill and pasta in the evenings and all of the chefs whose work you don't see also need a big mention.
Maite and Juan Carlos on reception,
Peter and Juany for all their hard work DJ'ing,
Dianelys needs a massive thank you for everything she did for us over the two weeks, also Alex for everything and just to everyone who made this holiday special.

See you in august for my party :-)

3 Thank little_legs_123
Goderich, Canada
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We are in our mid fifties and traveled with our two daughters; mid-twenties and one of the significant others. We were there from 29Dec12 - 05Jan13.

In the past, I have jokingly said that my expectations in Cuba are low are that they are usually met. This being our ninth vacation to Cuba, and having stayed in Cuba-rated 3 star to 5 star accommodations, I understand that Five Star accommodations as we know them in Canada, United States or Western Europe do not exist in Cuba. There are no properties in Cuba like The Ritz-Carleton or The Soho. If you think you will get a 5-Star as you know it at home for what you paid for an all-inclusive Cuba 5 star, you are delusional.

Briefly, based on our experience here, I would not hesitate to recommend this property to someone who, "gets," Cuba. Additionally, I would not hesitate to return to Sol Cayo Coco.

We arrived around 2030 on a one hour late Air Canada Vacations flight. On 29Dec12, $CAN was trading at our slightly above par with the USD. The airport exchange wanted 9% (91CUC/$100 CDN). I chose to exchange money at the hotel where the exchange rate was 7% (93CUC/100CDN). This still seemed too much.

For some reason, our rooms were not yet ready (checkout is 1200 and the latest you can keep your room is 1500 at a cost of 6 CUC per hour), so we directed to the buffet which was still open. After dinner, our check-in was uneventful and we were provided three ocean view, third floor rooms. Great view of the ocean from our rooms - facing directly north (2040, 2042 & 2043). The beds were wider than other Cuban accommodations we have been in where they would join two singles together to make you a double. The beds in our room were comfortable. I have read in other reviews that pillows are hard. I was at the desk when a young lady requested soft pillows; we however did not experience this, ours were fine. There was nothing remarkable about the rooms. We rented a safe in one of the rooms so that all could keep important valuables locked up. The cost of this was 21 CUC for the week.

We ate breakfasts at the buffet where I would say most appetites - not all - could find something they liked. For lunch, we found the beach front restaurant to our liking but also enjoyed the sandwiches and pizzas at the pool bar. We did not have any lunches in the buffet but I did venture in one afternoon before opening and saw that most anyone would be satisfied with its offerings including soft-shelled crab.

We ate three times at the two a la carte restaurants. None of these meals left any of us raving about how delicious they were nor was anyone upset with the food's quality. The dinners were simple okay. The buffet dinners were slightly better, including the New Year's Eve meal. Typical of most Cuban accommodations with pasta bars, salad bars, hot buffet, dessert bars and hot meats prepared to order. The New Year's Eve dinner was higher end with seemingly unlimited lobster and shrimp. The lobster tails on this particular evening seemed liked they had been previously frozen then over cooked. Some were a little tough.

The pool water was clean but quite cold compared to the ocean. Servers came pool side frequently to take and deliver drink orders. While our party received a few bites from noseeums, we weren't as affected by others there who seemed to have been far more tasty to these insects.

Service by almost all employees was very good with some individuals providing consistently excellent service, while others might want to consider a change of employment.

We went to the lobster shack located east of our hotel for lunch one day. For 15CUC each, we had a tasty lobster lunch. There is another lobster shack located about a 15 minute walk west of the Sol where the lobster is 12CUC and beer is only a peso.

In my opinion, the trip from the Sol Cayo Coco to Pilar Beach is a waste of time for two reasons: the beach immediately adjacent to the hotel to the west is at least as nice as Pilar and nowhere as crowded. Also, the drive is an hour and a half each way, so you spend about three hours on a double decker bus. Not our cup of tea.

The hour long snorkel trip was good (20CUC).

To me a measure of a good holiday sometimes is whether you would return. As mentioned previously, I would not hesitate to return to Sol Cayo Coco.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
12 Thank Montel056
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We arrived very tied due to long working days and little sleep before the holiday and made the effort to stay up late to acclimatise ready to sleep well and start fresh on the Tuesday morning. Our room was on the ground floor as we has requested ideal for my wife who does not do stairs very well. All seemed good until we looked at the fridge that would not shut the air conditioning that even for my bad hearing kept me awake most of the night. Reported to the reception and was directed to customer services who were extremely good polite and had the problems sorted well the fridge was later and managed to get them to swap with an alternative room they had offered us. There were other things minor and they dealt with them within the first two days. Having looked at several alternative rooms we stayed were we were and I would say the rooms are all tied and of the same quality but clean.

Got the flu for four days and wished I visited the Pharmacy on day one as I purchased a Cuban flu remedy which I swear I felt it work within hours and the flu symptoms cleared within 24 hours.

All was well around the pool the first week but when the hotel was full for the Christmas week the Brits and the few Germans raided the beds and placed towels early in the morning, this I don’t mind but when about a third were not used all day its annoying.

Sad to say the food was generally of a poor standard and repeated daily, snack bar was ok and we used that several times during the day. Had the ala carte three times different Chef each time first night was good second very poor last ok.

Drinks were ok, the beer which I do not normally drink was good and the wine out of bottles was good as well.

Be careful of the wet floors as they are all ceramic tiles as my found out and slipped in the room and badly broke her arm. The staffs were excellent and it was the lady who was to spray the room for mosquito’s that found her as I returned they had a cleaner nurse customer services in attendance. The Doctor the next morning organised an ambulance and we were taken to the clinic x-rayed and made ready for the journey to the hospital. One think that you need to know if the insurance company do not return the call to them with immediate effect you have to pay all of the fees and claim on the return home. I was subject to my insurance not calling back and was driven to two banks during the long day to get money out to pay the bills. It seems normal to pay up front in Cuba. The doctors and nurses were all good.

We did a trip to one of the sister hotels and had an excellent lunch.

All of the beaches have been excellent in Cuba.

Oh and don’t forget the tips for the staff and leave any clothes you do not want they will appreciate them.

In all we love Cuba and this was our third trip but we would not return to Sol Cayo Coca

Room Tip: Request what room you would like in advance as we did and that’s what we were given the quality are...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Steve J
Reviewed January 5, 2013

The quay (cayo coco) is just off mainland Cuba consisting of holiday hotels. The locals live on the mainland. As an all inclusive I was a little disappointed with the 'value for money' aspect. Don't get me wrong the beaches are fantastic and cleaned everyday the waters are clear the fish are amazing. The hotel staff are very friendly however if u tip you seem to receive better service ! You can easily spend lots on top of the price you've already paid before leaving the uk! Be careful with the meats on 2 occasions food was not cooked through properly ! My daughter was sick from under cooked chicken! The entertainment staff are great plenty to keep kids and adults busy, the evening performances are outstanding you'd pay a lot off money in the uk to see some of the performances. My husband and I would go back to mainland Cuba in the future but only when the kids are old enough to travel round the island. Overall you are paying for the beauty of the beaches !

• Stayed December 2012
6 Thank J300job
bolton, england
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed at the Sol Cayo Coco from 23rd November to 7th December, we were blown away by the helpfulness and friendliness of all the staff, they were exceptional and a credit to this hotel. The rooms were clean and fresh. The maid service was excellent. There is a fantastic cocktail guy in the lobby who can do the most fantastic drinks!!

The manager Gregorio is always around the hotel complex and is on the ball with everything, Ensuring that all his guests are well looked after, he definitely went the "extra mile" in an emergency situation where he gave us a lift in his own car, many thanks for that Gregorio, it was greatly appreciated.

There are lots of activities for the children and they were rarely bored, in fact I dont even remember them saying they were!! The only thing I would say is that the queues for the food are quite annoying, you can be waiting 15-20 mins, after a few days we managed to get a system in place, because there were 5 of us, each one of us would queue for different things and then share it out at the table, at least it meant we were eating together and the food would be warmer lol, I would highly recommend this hotel, and we would definitely return. HAPPY HOLIDAYS :-)

6 Thank wattersfamily
kent UK
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We have just returned from Cayo Coco. My husband and our 3 teenage sons organised this trip as a surprise for my 50th birthday. All I want to say is that we've travelled all over the world and this must be amongst my top 5 holiday experiences worldwide. The staff is lovely, the setting is perfect (the best on the island - as it has its own estuary on the side of the hotel that provides shade and acts as a wind barrier on windy days. The food is lovely and we loved the barbecue restaurant on the beach. We went on the snorkelling trip with the glass bottom boat and it was absolutely worth it - we took bread rolls at breakfast to feed the fish and we were literally swamped by beautifully coloured fishes. The shows in the evening was really good and we ended up attending every night.
My tips would be: Take a large insulated mug for your drinks as the plastic glasses are quite small
Remember to take a european adapter as this works in Cuba
Take loads of mozzie repellent as this was the one single thing that was a problem on the island.
Spend a day at the sister hotel Sol Guillermo - it is lovely and the food is equally good.
This was a fantastic trip - take my advice and look no further if you want to go to Cayo Coco - go to the Sol!

Room Tip: We had a room right above the pool but noise was never a problem as the entertainment area is furthe...
8 Thank joop01