“10th Anniversary Trip Jan. 2012”
Review of Sol Cayo Coco

Sol Cayo Coco
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Theis review is long over due. I would totally recommend this small resort if you are looking for some good R & R. Loved the lobby atmosphere and was totally surprised to walk into the lobby bar and see a nice big cold bucket of Corona. A buck a beer. So, worth it:) The nightly entertainment was enjoyble in the lobby area while talking with new friends. They have the best Special Spirits Bar and bardenter we have ever been too. The Mojitos? are too die for. Trust me. Been to all the Michael Jackson shows on previous trips so my honey and I don't bother with them anymore. The food was fair, restaurant clean, and most of all the staff A+ people who have become friends. Ladies please take with you some nylons (big and small) for the staff. Havana is far for them and they so appreciated it. I went to the dollar store and bought some plus other stuff like toothpaste as they need it. All the staff was asking for that? We flew with West Jet and they let me bring a small suitcase that was full of tolieteries at no cost. I believe you have to fill out a form now to do this at no extra cost but with all honesty for a cost of 20 bucks you can still do it for the extra suitcase(Big deal). Take the 5 dollar double decker bus and go to Pillar Beach as I am sure you have read already on other reviews. Good lobster lunch, cold beer and don't forget your towel etc. In a nut shell, we will be returning as you pay for one and can play at others. A most relaxing holiday on the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. We will be returning to that part of Cuba in the future that is for sure. Happy travelling my friends and feel free to ask any questions you may have. Cheers !

Room Tip: Request 3rd floor to avoid hearing ladies walking around in their heels while you maybe sleeping :)
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank OntarioBigMamma
solcayococo, General Manager at Sol Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your wonderful comment on your recent stay in Sol Cayo Coco.
Hopefully we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again,

Kind regards,

Gregorio Coca

Write a ReviewReviews (4,402)

Reviewed November 22, 2012

The first thing you get is the dancers greeting you, no not Cuban dancers with a bit of salsa beat to them but an 18-30's style rep's trying to get you motivated after the long haul flight. Not for me. The reception area is vast, cool and with plenty of places to sit and relax. The rooms were very sizable with good views, clean, large beds and air con. You have to pay for a safe key but then that is common and only cost us 28 Cuban Pesos for 2 weeks. I think we arrived just before things got going as the grass was long and was cut during our first week, the beach restaurant was undergoing a refurb and only opened in week two. I would say that the buildings would benefit from a bit of freshing up with some paint and the plumbing in general could do with some attention, but I think that is not just this resort. The food was excellant with a varied cuisine catering for all tastes. The service at the bars and restuartant was always great, tipping certainly helped! The beach was excellent albiet we had ten days of wind which meant that all the sea activities were postponed which was a shame. It is worth going out on the catamaran snorkelling which is an excellant experience. The Don Diego restuarant on-site is a must, the food was splendid and gave you a break from the buffett for one night. If you like Cocktails then you have a vast array to choose from, The Cocktail barman is very skillful and certianly doesn't belive in small measures. Most people in Cuban seem to have a second job, the gardeners were no exception, they made things out of palm leaves like origami, or prepared coconuts to drink, obviously they were looking for a bit of a financial reward in return. Most people wore a uniform to denote their roles but there were a few staff (I think they were staff!) in casual cloths greeting you at the restuarant door but in some cases they wanted to sell you there magic wooden boxes, which we didnt think was right. My main criticism, which may not be shared by all, was the pool side speakers blasting out English mixes all afternoon and the need for the rep's to commentate over the microphone on the progress of every game, activity or competition, very annoying when you are trying to relax on the sunbeds. The stunning beaches were the best place to relax and have a drink. The evening shows were well put together and professionally delivered, but again it would have been good to have some Cuban themes in the main reception area instead of the English cabaret singers each night. Overall we did enjoy our stay at the resort and the organised trips out, afterall a holiday is what you make it!

Room Tip: Sea view on the top level
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
solcayococo, General Manager at Sol Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your comments which always help us provide better service. We will consider every opinion and we'd like to have you back in future holidays, we guarantee that your enjoyment will be higher.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

We didn't book this hotel but transefered here after two nights at sol cayo guillermo due to a lack of children; we were so glad we did!
Sol Cayo Coco is a medium size hotel in the area with a cleverly made swimming pool, which is split into quiet, activity, childrens and deeper parts. Plenty of sunloungers avaliable and we based ourselves near to the entertainment hut. Lots of activities on offer each day, but unlike a lot of hotels we've been too it was a very relaxed attitude and no bulying you into taking part. Our 3 yr old went to kids club every morning which she loved, they had their own building and play park by the beach and then lunch in a seperate area of the pool snack bar. Then in the evenings she would join in with the mini-disco, although this started very late at 9pm which i did speak to the manager about, suggesting that 8pm would be better. Each night there was entertainment which was ok, but nothing outstanding.
The beach was gorgeous, there was some seaweed brought in witht he tide but the tractor was out every morning to clear it away. If you walk along the beach to the right of the hotel you really do feel as though you are on a desert island - just stunning.
The buffet was good but towards the end of the two weeks it became repetative, but you get this in most hotels.
We loved having the coktail bar open in the evenings with Duanne throwing bottles and catching ice in tongs - no wonder he was runner up in last years world barman championships.
From our room we could see the sea and garden areas, which was pretty.
We went on a couple of trips and would definately recommend the jeep adventure, you get to see some of Cuban life and get some history from the guides whilst also doing made thinngs like holding crocodiles!!!
Animation team made us feel like family and we were really pleased with the hotel.

Room Tip: We were in 1329 which looked over the the left of the hotel and out to the bay. Not too far from mai...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SianandJenks

Dear Guest,
We are very happy that you enjoyed our hotel, the beach and the hotel service. We hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.
Kind regards,

Reviewed November 20, 2012

My partner and I visited on the 5th November for two weeks. We wanted a cheap break for Some winter sun. I spent quite Some time checking trip advisor and was concerned by the vast divide of opinion. Some saying that the hotel was like butlin's and others advising that it was perfect. Were people just easily pleased or being very harsh?? Some people even using TA as a forum to have arguments!

Firstly I would like to advise that I do have very high standards, but I am also realistic with expectations as it is after all, a third world country. Also the deal we got was incredibly cheap, and I was aware that there was not much around Cayo coco other than hotels.

Hotel
Shabby to be honest. Lots of things broken or run down. Nothing will take your breath away. Its clean enough, the gardens are nice and if you have mobility issues it is very small. There is nothing to do in the evenings, nowhere to go. Dinner, bar....that's it really.

Room
Was bright and clean. A decent base for a beach holiday with a nice sea view.
No running water on four occasions, bathroom tiles had yellow stains, furniture was a bit tired. Nothing to worry about, but nothing to write home about either. If you are the type of person that posts photos of chipped furniture and slightly worn bed linen, you will have a field day.

Beach
The beach was very nice. We alternated between the two beaches. Seaweed was a bit of a pain.

I confess to being a foodie, and we both enjoy a nice restaurant. My expectations were kept low as we were in a third world country essentially. And given what we paid I did not expect to be tucking into fillet steaks every night. Only two of three restaurants were open and the a la carte could only be visited once per stay. So we would be eating breakfast, lunch and dinner in the same place. For two weeks.
Breakfast was fine, the usual pancakes, eggs, omelette stations etc.
Lunch we didn't bother with to avoid boredom of same restaurant. We just grabbed a burger from the beach bar to keep us going. Dinner was frankly quite poor. There was a meat station where the chef would cook you thin slices of chicken, pork or beef. It was ok but the queues could be quite long. A chap cooking pasta, pizza, a joint of meat, stir fry station, salad and a selection of cooked dishes. Nothing was that bad but it was all fairly bland. If you do your shopping in the well known frozen food store you will be ok. I was suprised they didn't do some theme night, Mexican, Spanish etc. The a la carte was at least a change of scenery, but my hopes of an improved meal were dashed when my shrimp cocktail came out with crab sticks in it, and the apperitif was French bread with chopped raw onion on top. (I swear that is true)
We were polite, ate it, tipped the waiter who continued to top our glasses and left fairly disappointed.

Other things....

Cocktails were nice as they were not served in the plastic cups.

Staff were excellent in my opinion, I enjoyed talking to them and whilst I did tip, the occasions when I did not did not result in differing service.

Shop on site sold drinks and snacks for mini bar. (Only water provided)

Kids were there, but no issue as it was November.

We met some lovely people but there were quite a few hillbilly types. All day in the bar types, no trouble but it was a bit like the Adams family....

Butlins? ?
A bit - entertainment's was a Spanish tom Jones, or a really tacky show. I just felt embarrassed watching it.

Summery

On the whole we had a great holiday, we did some good trips, enjoyed the sun and relaxed. The hotel didn't enhance the holiday in any way.
If you have booked, please don't panic - you will have a lovely time but you may just want to look elsewhere. The melia looked a lot nicer.

I made a mistake doing a cheap getaway to be honest, I will in future continue to spend more to avoid the chavs and get a bit more luxury. If it's luxury or exclusivity you want.....look elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2012
7  Thank mattnalex

Dear Guest,
We appreciate your comments and we also like to tell you that our hotel meets your standard 4 star resort. The Buffet customers can find more than 100 varieties of dishes, both breakfast and lunch and also dinner, not to mention that we have a beach Rach which serves a nice menu for lunch ,but if you want fast food to continue enjoying , you can go to the beach bar or the pool bar and you can also have lunch at the pool or beach bar as it’s one of the most attractive places in our hotel. We are glad you had a great holiday, always remembering that you agreed to a 4-star service in one of the best beaches in the Caribbean.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

We arrived on the 26th oct and were greeted by a band and very happy, friendly staff...After a quick check in we went to our room.. it was very good, with a wonderful sea view from the balcony and we also had a side window which showed a lovely view of the grounds. The room was cleaned daily and a fresh bottle of water was given everyday.The plug sockets are of the european style and we didnt have any, so I asked customer services if they had any spare and I was given one no problem! However next time we visit i will be taking my travel kettle in order to have coffee in my room.. lol
Unfortunately I became ill on our second day, I suffered a kidney infection. The medical treatment I received was very very good and not too expensive!
The food wasnt too bad but a bit bland at times. We will take a few spices with us next time like the Canadians do, as well as buba flasks which save going back and forth to the bar too many times and avoiding the plastic cups!
The bar staff, waiting staff and entertainment team were very friendly and always there to help. We did not mind 'tipping' at all, even a one peso note brought service with a smile!
The grounds and pool areas were clean and tidy,and yes there was seaweed on the beach but what do you expect after a hurricaine?
We met some fabulous people on our trip, british, canadian,german and argentinian who made our holiday so good.
We also had an extra day as our flight was delayed. This would've been a bonus for some but for me it was'nt as my daughter had been rushed into hospital back home. To any of you who know us then thankfully she is now recovering and is out of danger.
Thank you and we hope to be back ASAP......

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank queque1

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your excellent comments about our hotel. We are very pleased to know that you and your family enjoyed your holiday so much. We hope you repeat your visit once again do not hesitate to contact us in advance.

Best regards,

Reviewed November 16, 2012

OK, bit like butlins thats all i can say. People that go there continuously need to get out and about more, sorry!! Everything was average really not a carribean experiance whatsover. Have travelled extensively but would never go back to Cuba.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Silvia S
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Went to Sol Cayo Coco on 22nd October - 5th November with my family and friend to celebrate her 65 birthday, additionally she was recovering from Cancer. very good welcome from the entertainment staff. Had to wait for two out of our three rooms as they were not ready.. On the second day my daughter experienced waiting to be served at reception and being ignored by reception staff only to observe other two other guest coming and being served, I made her return to reception and was redirected to Consumer services. On challenging this practice I was informed that there is no racism in Cuba and that they were offended by our statement. When questioned what would we like, I replied at the time nothing, only to be treated the same as the other guests.

My partner experienced whilst being served at the bar the barman leaving his drink half served to serve a fellow white guest. On arguing the point he was informed that they thought he was Cuban. Although he had a yellow wrist band and spoke only English. At one stage he refused to go to the bar and we had to get drinks for him. We also had issues with some of the staff in the restaurant resulting in me refusing to be served by her. These encounters happen right throughout our holiday. A further experience, whilst about to inform one of the men serving the food what she wanted my daughter was informed that she had to wait whilst he served the girl behind her. The girl was however a friend of my daughter and promptly informed him that my daughter was first. The customer service at this holiday was awful apart from the entertainment staff, a few of the waiters,one of the waitresses, and the lady in the Children club who were exceptionally good.

The food was of a poor standard repetitive and mostly cold. The attitude of staff at times extremely rude. The shower was bad, water cold or lukewarm at the best .

Our largest issue was the Thomas Cook rep, when my daughter finally had enough of the rudeness following a further issue, when she complained to the rep,Norma she was extremely dismissive telling my daughter that as far as she was concerned it was her opinion, and out of her 287 guest 95% were happy. even though people were complaining about many other issues. She then proceeded to threaten my daughter, stating that we were the problem, that she had heard about us, that since we came to the hotel we were the problem. My daughter broke down it was one of the guest who came to her aid. She wanted not to be transferred to another hotel but to return to the UK. Born and raised in the UK she has never experienced racism before and has stated that she will never return to Cuba.

On later speaking to my son Norma informed him that she had made the above statement because she is Cuban born and raised in Cuba and she was offended that we were complaining about the Cuban people. I was astonished when she got a black Cuban worker to come and tell us that he had never faced racism and there is no racism in Cuban. (Our treatment was a figure of our imagination) In relation to my partners experience she stated he looked Cuban hence the treatment. Why because he is black not all Cubans are black. The was an Asian family who also had some similar experiences and I know have complained therefore this is not about me and my family as stated. Whilst the staff at the hotel are blind to the issues and they are not addressed, people of colour should not spend their money and go to this hotel.

There is also a culture of tipping to get a service, people should not be made to feel that they have to tip to get good customer service, I tip when I receive a good service.

I want to say a very big thank you to all of the entertainment staff and the few others who made what was an awful experience into something manageable. I will never forget you guys and the kindness you showed my family.

To end there was issue with the plumbing on the day before our return, all my friends clothes were water logged and my passport which was in her safe was damaged, on speaking to an other guest she had the same experience and was not happy with the outcome. I have been told to claim for my passport on my insurance however with the access this is not possible. I could go on.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank Parmesta

Dear Guest,
We offer apologies if we did not cover your expectations, but it would be nice to tell you that in our hotel there is no place for racism. It is not healthy that you have felt rejected by the color of your skin, we are fully convinced that if you had any problems we can say that the same thing had happened to a white person in the same time you came. We are a team of 15 years of experience and nobody ever had a similar vision of our hotel. We have served customers in more than 20 countries without distinction of race, sex or age. Sol Cayo Coco is a family hotel which works for the perfection of their services and customers satisfaction. We must confirm that your perception that for us is important, but it is not the reality in a hotel in Cuba. Moreover, the culture that our workers have regarding tips is to offer good service and to win them if the client considers it, so, is clear that tips are the recognition of our work. Finally, we offer apologies for the damage to your documents and would be very comfortable for us if you could change your opinion about Cuba and our Hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Coco
#7 of 12 in Cayo Coco
Pullman Cayo Coco
Pullman Cayo Coco
#2 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to Sol Cayo Coco? Share your experiences!