“Can't wait to go back!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sol Cayo Coco

Sol Cayo Coco
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Can't wait to go back!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

We arrived on the 26th oct and were greeted by a band and very happy, friendly staff...After a quick check in we went to our room.. it was very good, with a wonderful sea view from the balcony and we also had a side window which showed a lovely view of the grounds. The room was cleaned daily and a fresh bottle of water was given everyday.The plug sockets are of the european style and we didnt have any, so I asked customer services if they had any spare and I was given one no problem! However next time we visit i will be taking my travel kettle in order to have coffee in my room.. lol
Unfortunately I became ill on our second day, I suffered a kidney infection. The medical treatment I received was very very good and not too expensive!
The food wasnt too bad but a bit bland at times. We will take a few spices with us next time like the Canadians do, as well as buba flasks which save going back and forth to the bar too many times and avoiding the plastic cups!
The bar staff, waiting staff and entertainment team were very friendly and always there to help. We did not mind 'tipping' at all, even a one peso note brought service with a smile!
The grounds and pool areas were clean and tidy,and yes there was seaweed on the beach but what do you expect after a hurricaine?
We met some fabulous people on our trip, british, canadian,german and argentinian who made our holiday so good.
We also had an extra day as our flight was delayed. This would've been a bonus for some but for me it was'nt as my daughter had been rushed into hospital back home. To any of you who know us then thankfully she is now recovering and is out of danger.
Thank you and we hope to be back ASAP......

5 Thank queque1
solcayococo, General Manager at Sol Cayo Coco, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your excellent comments about our hotel. We are very pleased to know that you and your family enjoyed your holiday so much. We hope you repeat your visit once again do not hesitate to contact us in advance.

Best regards,

Gregorio Coca

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (814)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
York, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

OK, bit like butlins thats all i can say. People that go there continuously need to get out and about more, sorry!! Everything was average really not a carribean experiance whatsover. Have travelled extensively but would never go back to Cuba.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Silvia S
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

Went to Sol Cayo Coco on 22nd October - 5th November with my family and friend to celebrate her 65 birthday, additionally she was recovering from Cancer. very good welcome from the entertainment staff. Had to wait for two out of our three rooms as they were not ready.. On the second day my daughter experienced waiting to be served at reception and being ignored by reception staff only to observe other two other guest coming and being served, I made her return to reception and was redirected to Consumer services. On challenging this practice I was informed that there is no racism in Cuba and that they were offended by our statement. When questioned what would we like, I replied at the time nothing, only to be treated the same as the other guests.

My partner experienced whilst being served at the bar the barman leaving his drink half served to serve a fellow white guest. On arguing the point he was informed that they thought he was Cuban. Although he had a yellow wrist band and spoke only English. At one stage he refused to go to the bar and we had to get drinks for him. We also had issues with some of the staff in the restaurant resulting in me refusing to be served by her. These encounters happen right throughout our holiday. A further experience, whilst about to inform one of the men serving the food what she wanted my daughter was informed that she had to wait whilst he served the girl behind her. The girl was however a friend of my daughter and promptly informed him that my daughter was first. The customer service at this holiday was awful apart from the entertainment staff, a few of the waiters,one of the waitresses, and the lady in the Children club who were exceptionally good.

The food was of a poor standard repetitive and mostly cold. The attitude of staff at times extremely rude. The shower was bad, water cold or lukewarm at the best .

Our largest issue was the Thomas Cook rep, when my daughter finally had enough of the rudeness following a further issue, when she complained to the rep,Norma she was extremely dismissive telling my daughter that as far as she was concerned it was her opinion, and out of her 287 guest 95% were happy. even though people were complaining about many other issues. She then proceeded to threaten my daughter, stating that we were the problem, that she had heard about us, that since we came to the hotel we were the problem. My daughter broke down it was one of the guest who came to her aid. She wanted not to be transferred to another hotel but to return to the UK. Born and raised in the UK she has never experienced racism before and has stated that she will never return to Cuba.

On later speaking to my son Norma informed him that she had made the above statement because she is Cuban born and raised in Cuba and she was offended that we were complaining about the Cuban people. I was astonished when she got a black Cuban worker to come and tell us that he had never faced racism and there is no racism in Cuban. (Our treatment was a figure of our imagination) In relation to my partners experience she stated he looked Cuban hence the treatment. Why because he is black not all Cubans are black. The was an Asian family who also had some similar experiences and I know have complained therefore this is not about me and my family as stated. Whilst the staff at the hotel are blind to the issues and they are not addressed, people of colour should not spend their money and go to this hotel.

There is also a culture of tipping to get a service, people should not be made to feel that they have to tip to get good customer service, I tip when I receive a good service.

I want to say a very big thank you to all of the entertainment staff and the few others who made what was an awful experience into something manageable. I will never forget you guys and the kindness you showed my family.

To end there was issue with the plumbing on the day before our return, all my friends clothes were water logged and my passport which was in her safe was damaged, on speaking to an other guest she had the same experience and was not happy with the outcome. I have been told to claim for my passport on my insurance however with the access this is not possible. I could go on.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Parmesta
solcayococo, General Manager at Sol Cayo Coco, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Guest,
We offer apologies if we did not cover your expectations, but it would be nice to tell you that in our hotel there is no place for racism. It is not healthy that you have felt rejected by the color of your skin, we are fully convinced that if you had any problems we can say that the same thing had happened to a white person in the same time you came. We are a team of 15 years of experience and nobody ever had a similar vision of our hotel. We have served customers in more than 20 countries without distinction of race, sex or age. Sol Cayo Coco is a family hotel which works for the perfection of their services and customers satisfaction. We must confirm that your perception that for us is important, but it is not the reality in a hotel in Cuba. Moreover, the culture that our workers have regarding tips is to offer good service and to win them if the client considers it, so, is clear that tips are the recognition of our work. Finally, we offer apologies for the damage to your documents and would be very comfortable for us if you could change your opinion about Cuba and our Hotel.

With our best regards,
Dunds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

Just came back on 5th november 2012.
The infrastructure looks old and outdated.tv was small and the Picture Was not clear Most of the time.
Entertainment was very basic except one dance group that looked professional.
When the show was in disco, a lot of people did smoke, couldn't stay long.
Disco after show was almost empty.
Beach was good , cayaks are free, have to pay 10 cuc. Per hour for Windsurf.
Catamaran Trip Was good for 15 cuc per 4 persons.
Food was Good,specially Made on cooking station.
I was never hungry, always full.
Didn't care about drinks, I tried first day Couple of drinks and got a headache.switched to espresso.
Because we went with 5 families,we were entertained by each Other.
If you go without friends, it will be boaring, not much happening The whole day.
We took horse ride, ok.
There is a shooting range, two air rifle with bad accuracy.
Took a beach walk to TRYP hotel, and MELIA.
Made couple of friends. FRom ARGENTINE nice people.
The experience was positive will go back to cuba again, but To Different place fo a change.

Room Tip: If you like a nap during the day, stay away from pool Facing rooms.the. Music is loud.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Misha Z
Dear Guest,
We are glad to know that you enjoyed our hotel. Your opinion is very important for us. Thank you for your preference and recommend our hotel. Please, when you have booked for another stay, just let us know in advance to kindly look after.

Kind regards,

Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

We have just returned from our eighth visit to the Sol Hotel in Cayo Coco Cuba. We were there from 18th October 1012 to 5th November 2012. We enjoyed a wonderful stay! Despite the Hurricane Sandy and about four days high winds and torrential rain which were exciting to experience, we came back suitably tanned and having had a wonderful holiday. All staff were extremely helpful, courteous and helpful at all times. Food was good and room very comfortable. The maid took a lot of trouble to keep our room clean. The customer relations staff as always were helpful and friendly nothing was too much trouble.
It was however sad to see that some of the tourists complained about various things in order to claim some kind of compensation. We were not impressed with this!
We would recommend this hotel for wnyone looking for some peace and quiet and a really chilled holiday. Can't say enough good things about it! Thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Room with a sea view
6 Thank Janet S
Dear Guest,
It was very nice to find your comments here. Thank you very much for your opinions. We will be very glad seeing you next time you come.

My sincere regards,

Whiston, null, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

there are not many islands I havnt been to in the Carribean including Barbados seven times, including all inclusive at Sam Lords Castle?.. if you want five star plus pay the price, this was the second time my wife and I have been to the Cayos, and you will not get better value for money, I was paying over £1,ooo room only 15 years ago/. when we arrived I ask to be changed to a sea view as we had a pool view, not only did they change it, they transferred us to a premier room with a sea view, the room, the staff, the food, everything was more than satisfactory at 73 the only down side for me was there was to many children for my liking, but you get over it, I must say the drinks were first class, whisky, brandy, gin, you name your tipple, of course you tip. that's part of the holiday, so get your hand in your pocket when the GARDENER offers you a gift, I saw to many accept and then walk away. all they want is a peso, (62p) they have families at home?. all the staff were first class, on the beach ask for Yusman, beach bar, Jo,, entertainment Milly, oscar, Orlando is the best barman you will ever see, not surprising he was elected employer of the year?. go with an open mind, and enjoy your holliday if you want you will have a ball, we did..

Room Tip: If you want it quiet, ask for a sea view we were in 22--/ any 22 something will be satisfactory
4 Thank Brian Maurice W
solcayococo, General Manager at Sol Cayo Coco, responded to this review, November 28, 2012

With warmest regards,

Rhyl, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

Great place for a relaxing holiday. Lovely comfortable room, great choice of food. The drinks aere always served up with a smile, loved watching the bartender making the cocktails.
The resturante/buffet staff could not help you enough.
The sea and the beach were brilliant.
I cannot fault it.
The only downside in my opinion is it is out on a limb well away from other holiday destinations, but I knew that before i booked so that was no problem for me.
Cant beat a nice stroll along the beach.

Room Tip: Bring some pencels and paper with you as the locals find it very hard to get any.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tom C
Dear Guest,
We are very happy that you enjoyed our hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact me once you decide to come again,we hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.
Kind regards,
#7 of 8 in Oyster Pond
Royal Palms
Royal Palms
#1 of 3 in South Hill

Been to Sol Cayo Coco? Share your experiences!