“and I am sure the next time i visit i will rate it a 5 star....”

Memories Flamenco Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Toronto, Canada
“and I am sure the next time i visit i will rate it a 5 star....”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Had the pleasure of visiting this wonderful hotel end of November 2012....this is my 6th visit to Cuba ...second to cayo coco...and Memories Flamenco resort is the best I have stayed at...
There was a couple of snags here and there, but doesn't that happen? nothing major....part of the adventure...
My partner and I especially loved the buffet...( breakfast...crepes and fruit smoothies yum yum)...lunch and dinner were also very good...and what made it even better was the staff who looked after us....I do have to give extra mention to the snack bar...the pork sandwiches were delish and the shrimps were the best....I heard there that the shrimp were off the menu at the snack bar ...say it isn't so .....A la Carte restaurants were well represented and food was okay...extra points for the cream soups....( very good )....Only one comment asked for a lobster dish ...but it was not a lobster it was a crab....no big deal...
we had diamond club so there was a special drink menu at the lobby bar and they were really good....nice mixed cocktails....I am not much of a drinker so I especially looked forward in trying a new drink off the menu....enjoyed the special lounge for diamond club ..not that busy when we were there .....
The room was good , we did have to move only because construction happening out side our balcony ...we were in building 1 or 2....I have construction where I live so I did not want to see it for my vacation...but again no big deal ..we moved to building 5 on third floor ..had half lake view and half ocean view ...very nice...
the entertainment in evening was excellent and I really liked the theatre where they performed ...
The M Jackson show was very entertaining....
Forgot to mention the transfer from Bus to our rooms when we arrived....took minutes..very quick and organized...did not get a chance to maybe enjoy early check in or late check out ..since we arrived late and left early.....
and yes the beach is rocky ...which I have never seen in Cuba...but we dealt with it....and had a nice drink brought to us.......as we enjoyed the breeze and the tropic sunshine....( since it was Dec there was no bugs biting and the weather is perfect...not too hot and not too cold at night)

Since this hotel is quite new, I can only see it getting better....more things to do at the hotel would be appreciated and a few more stores....I am sure this will happen ..all in good time....This will be the hotel I will be going to when I go to Cuba...no others....( well I might check out other memories, but that is it)....
And I am happy to say I will be coming back in end of October or end of November...2013 cannot wait! ( Are the bugs still biting end of October, so I know to bring bug spray....)
see you soon......

Room Tip: first time I paid extra for a ocean view ...the price was not really that much of a difference but i...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank rose4094
Memories_Flamenco, Director General at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Dear Rose:

We are very happy reading that you enjoyed the breeze and the tropical sunshine of Cuba and the services that you received in our hotel, we assure you that all our guest comment are taking into account in the improvement of our new resort . Thank you for trust in our company Memories Beach Resorts and for choosing our resort in Cayo Coco you will be more than welcomed at any time you desire come back to us.

Kind regards from your Cuban home.

Jesús Robledo
Director General/ General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,989)
  • Polish first
Milton, Canada
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We can barley find fault with this resort. The rooms were clean, the staff were amazing!

The entertainment was absolutely fantastic and very professional (Particularly "The Michael Jackson Show")

We are so glad that we chose memories Flamenco Beach resort and we would go back there again, anytime!

If I had to pick a negative. it would be the lack of Gluten Free choices on the menu

Room Tip: This was not a noisy resort, even though our room was near to the pool area and snack bar. If you h...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Memories_Flamenco, Director General at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Lynn:
We truly appreciate your comments about the hotel. We are glad you liked our Michael Jackson show and the whole entertainment group work, they are really profesional. I´ll be sharing your comments with the family of Memories Flamenco and your advices will be taken into account.
Hope you come back anytime you like, you will be more than welcomed.
regards
Cambridge, Canada
Reviewed June 23, 2013

This is my second time to Cuba,and was very happy with this resort. As soon as you get off the plane they check you in to the resort as you board the bus. A staff member puts a bracelet on you and they bring your bags to the room. As soon as you arrive you can go eat and drink! The shows were great, the Michael Jackson was our favourite. We found the food good for Cuba. The pool was awesome it has a nice waterfall that is very relaxing. The beach was good you can walk for 10 km if you like. Rooms are new, flat screen tv and good North American channels. Beer was ice cold and my wife liked the mixed drinks. The 24 hr snack bar served a good selection of food all night long, and the cook staff are very pleasant. Stocked bar in room and lots of bottled water. I better not say anymore as I plan to return and I don't want the price to go up! Jon and Don Cambridge On

Room Tip: Building # 2 is the best
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank John V
Hello John:
Thank you so much for the great comments about our hotel. I´m happy you are thinking about coming back, hopefully quite soon. I´m glad to know that you liked our food and our entertaiment staff, our main goal is our customer satisfaction and i think we achieve it with you. I will share your reviews with the family of Memories Flamenco who will be more than happy to welcome you back.
Hope to see you soon
Port Hope, Canada
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We had a wonderful time. People told us that the food in Cuba isn't good but we were surprised to find that the food was great!! My husband is Italian and picky about his food but he loved it. On the way back to the airport, tourists whined that they didn't have salad. We thought that was SO petty. The staff were amazing and enthusiastic.
The only thing that was negative was the bar. It was crowded and very overwhelming for the few bar tenders there were. Tourists became angry when a bar tender would over look them or serve someone else that got there after them. I would recommend some sort of number system, like one of those paper rip off things you get while waiting to get blood work at a lab. Either that or have a specific line up system with more bar tenders during busy times.
The resort was large and there was lots of room to roam around. Children had lots of room to run!
The entertainment was incredible every night. A very talented crew of dancers put on great shows including a Michael Jackson tribute where if you did not know what was going on, you would think it was really Michael Jackson on the stage. This young dancer had every move down perfectly. I know, I was a huge Michael Jackson fan.
A great place to go and have a really good rest and when you are tired of resting, they provide many excursions. We plan to go back!!!!! Wonderful COMFORTABLE beds!!!

Room Tip: Ask for ground floor level. Very convenient to have the patio doors!!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Oshawa
Reviewed June 22, 2013

This was our seventh trip to Cuba, second trip to Cayo Coco, but our first to Memories Flamenco. We booked last minute on an impulse after an email from Signature. Sunwing Flight was good with no issues.

The theme for the week was AMAZING SERVICE!!!!! This started on our first night and carried right through to departure.

To begin with, on arrival in Cayo Coco we met our rep at the buses who informed us that our registration would take place during the bus ride to the hotel. Our room number was placed on our luggage at the airport, our a la carte reservations were already made (could be changed) and we were given our registration cards to fill out on the bus so we wouldn't have to line up at the hotel. Our luggage arrived at our room very shortly after we did.

When we arrived in our room (Bldg. 4) it was very well appointed, but had an odd smell. The bellman came with our luggage, and when we mentioned the smell to him, he made a phone call. A few minutes later the Duty Manager came to our room, smelled what we did, and promptly moved us to another room down the hall.

Everywhere we went, the service was outstanding. The bar at the pool, the snack bar, the buffet, the lobby bar, the a la cartes, the front desk, the entertainment team, nothing seemed to be a problem for the wonderful staff at this hotel. Our regular server at the Buffet even had a special lunch prepared for us on our last day!!! It is amazing how far being nice and polite to people goes.

I am now going to tell you why the service at this hotel is so unparalleled. It starts at the top with the hotel management. We met the General Manager, Food and Beverage Manager, Rooms Manager and Restaurant Manager. Management in this hotel is very visible and active all day every day, and the staff really seems to respond well to them.

The weather was fantastic, not the best stretch of beach but not terrible. Food was slightly above average for Cuban fair, a la cartes were very good.

We went horse back riding on the beach and swimming with the dolphins. Both were wonderful trips suggested by the amazing Sunwing Rep Oslaidy(sorry for the spelling).

The only drawback was the mosquitoes, but during the wet season this is to be expected (not the hotels fault). The grounds were sprayed nightly, but wet nights and very hot days made controlling these pests difficult.

I cannot praise this resort enough. Even as we were on the bus to leave, we were thanked by the Rooms manager for our patronage, and the entertainment team sang and danced to us as we left.

My kids loved it, my wife loved it and I loved it here at Memories Flamenco!!! We will definitely return!!!

Room Tip: Building 4 was close to the beach, pool and buffet, but farthest from the theater and disco, so quie...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank bigdog_aka_mister
Toronto
Reviewed June 21, 2013

First I’d like to say that this resort is new, so they are trying to work out some kinks. So you should cut them some slack. Second, this is Cuba; you’re not going to get the same food as you do in Mexico. Overall this resort exceeded my expectations for an all-inclusive resort in Cuba.

Check-in
Check in was fast even though there were a bus load of us. When booking our vacation, my parents requested a connecting room. They booked a king room, and my room was supposed to be two double beds for my sister and I. When we got to our rooms, our luggage had beaten us there. My parents did not get a connecting room to ours, and their room had two double beds. My room, was a connecting room, except connected to other guests. My parents went to reception and told them they at least wanted a king bed, and was told to come in the next morning. The next morning reception told my parents that they would have to wait for another day because all rooms were occupied. By the third day, reception told them that “maybe it is a better idea for you and your husband to sleep in separate beds; it will be like a vacation from each other”. My parents never got their king bed, but slept on different beds each night.

Entertainment
We have been to so many all-inclusive resorts, no matter where you go the evening shows are all the same. This is NOT the case here. The shows were amazing! The dancers and entertainment were truly talented. Each night we were excited to see the shows because they were so good. The disco at the resort was also not bad. They played some really good music, and it was always lively. However, the entertainment staff were hard to find during the day. But they work very hard nonetheless.

Food & Drinks
The food here was really good! All you can eat shrimp? Lobster? Fish? Yes please! Breakfast was always good, with cooked to order omelettes, crepes and a freshly made juice bar which was a treat. And mimosas for breakfast! Lunch at the buffet was good with cooked to order stir fry’s, meats, fish, fried rice and pasta. There was always an abundant amount of fresh shrimp and fish. You can always choose to eat at the beach grill, which has a lovely atmosphere. You can choose from various meats, fishes and veggies that the chef will put on the grill for you. My advice would be to have the meat cooking before the restaurant opens, as opposed to having guests line up and wait for their meat to be cooked. This added a lot of pressure for the chefs to cook fast and therefore 100% of the time my meat was raw. I had to go back two or three times and have them recook my food. Dinner time at the buffet was pretty much the same as lunch. The labels on the buffet items were often mismatched, which made it difficult for my sister to find food to eat since she was vegetarian. Some items where labelled vegetarian but had meat in it. The Snack bar was often confusing because there was no laid out menu. However the food here is really good. I enjoyed the shrimp cocktails, poutine and pizza. I crave those pizzas now! Every evening I would venture after midnight to get a pizza to take back to my room. Most ingredients used in the buffets and snack bar were Canadian products. Everything had good flavour, and if you wanted more spice than there was always sriracha, ketchup, Tabasco and chilli sauces. The al la cartes were okay. The Asian restaurant was okay, and the sushi was good (obviously not like the real thing). They have someone making fresh sushi the way you like. I would recommend to the resort that they have more people making sushi because it is a lot of work for one person. The biggest disappointment was the steakhouse/Mediterranean. Since the only vegetarian options were in the appetizer, my sister could not order from the entrees. She asked if she could order two appetizers instead, and was rudely told that she could only order one app, one entrée and dessert. We spent 1 hour 56 minutes waiting for our food. The waitresses were rude, and told us to stop complaining. We ended up missing the evening show, and going to the snack bar.
The drinks were very good. The lobby bar made the best drinks and with elegance. The bartenders have a vast knowledge of drink recipes and they were delicious. Some nights at the buffet they served wine from Chile and it was very good. The Cuban wine isn’t all that bad. I recommend the Pina Coladas, dry martinis, chocolate martinis and the CAPPUCINOS! The only disappointment was that most nights they ran out of ingredients like Pina colada, ice, rum, wine and champagne.

Beach
Yes there are a lot of lava rocks but it doesn't take up the whole area. I don’t understand why people complain when the beach stretches for miles with clear areas. We weren't able to use the board walk that stretched into the water because it was closed off for the entire week. I recommend walking along the beach because there are some beautiful secluded areas. I would recommend swim shoes for walking along these areas due to the hard rocks.

Room
The rooms we had were ocean front, and it was fabulous. It was cleaned nicely every day, and comfy. We had no problems with toilet paper or a restocked fridge.

Pros:
1. The staff is what makes your trip memorable. They left lasting impressions on us.
2. Food and drinks were great!

Small situations/suggestions
1. This isn’t a reflection of the hotel, but of fellow Canadians. Some Canadians were downright rude. The majority of the resort comprised of Canadians. One afternoon after sitting in the shade, a woman told me to leave because I had been there too long. Some even threw racist remarks at me, which is so disgusting. Why do you waste your time visiting other countries but are racists against others at the same time? I can’t imagine what the staff has to go through serving some of these people. I had to put a couple of them in their place after hearing them taunt a waitress. It’s disgusting!

2. Another group with us got denied into the restaurant because the waitress could not read their reservation ticket. They were accused of changing the reservation time. They got turned away. After arriving at the front desk, a representative said that was her hand writing and confirmed that their reservations were right. Unfortunately they were unable to get into the restaurant. In compensation they asked to have a surprise put together for my mom’s birthday the next day. They confirmed for the morning, and were told a cake would be presented at the beach grill. We came on time, invited 6 more people, but there was no cake.

3. Suggestion: The resort needs to play some Cuban/Caribbean type music! There wasn’t much going on in the day, except when the staff came around to do a little dance. There lacked staff members at the buffet and bars. At times it was hard to get a clean table or a drink at the bar.

4. BRING MOSQUITO repellent -

Although there were minor setbacks, this resort is still very good. It is quiet and laid back. If you’re looking for a relaxing vacation then this is the place for you. I can see this resort getting better and has the ability to live up to its 5 star rating.

Room Tip: Ocean front is beautiful
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 18, 2013

It is our first trip to Cuba as a family of 3. We stayed at this resort on June 8th-15th and all of us enjoyed our stay. My 8 yr old son had the best time of his life. Our flight with Sunwing was 2 hr delayed going to Cayo Coco, but we didn't let that ruin our vacation.Before booking at this resort, I read tons of reviews and looked at hundreds of photos. I don't regret we chose this resort. The staff and the resort are wonderful. Grounds are well kept. Rooms are spacious and were cleaned spotless everyday.
Hello to Andrew "The pizza guy", Ricardo and Daw at the buffet, Ivan - makes the best omelette.. I don't remember the other ones but all of them made our stay a memorable experience.
I would definitely recommend and will go back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Melia Jardines del Rey
Melia Jardines del Rey
#9 of 12 in Cayo Coco
Pestana Cayo Coco All Inclusive Beach Resort

Been to Memories Flamenco Beach Resort? Share your experiences!