“Not As Bad As The Reviews Make It Out To Be!!!!”

Memories Flamenco Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We were a group of 6 travelling from February 12 to 19. After reading the reviews we were nervous about going...but our trip turned out fine. We were checked in at the airport before getting on the bus and taken the 15 minute bus ride. Upon arrival at the resort we told the bellboy that we didn't want to wait in our room for our luggage and he said we could take it. If you aren't in your room they won't leave it. We found our room after a bit of trouble locating it; we were in building 5 which is located on the left side of the resort close to the beach. Walkways were not well lit was one issue we think could be addressed.

As far as the maid service and fridge service we had absolutely no problem. Both came every day. We had towels every day we requested them. As far as the beach towels we always take our own but others in our group got new ones every day...no issue there. We even had face cloths and hand towels every day. The bed, I found, was not as hard as people let on. I was so tired by the end of the day I don't think it would have mattered to me how hard or soft the bed was. There was only one evening when we were getting ready that we had very low water pressure...just wait for a bit and it comes back.

As for service at the front desk, bars and restaurants it was great. The people were always friendly and willing to help in any way they could. We had requested and paid for a late check out at 4 but ended up being delayed so the resort gave us back our money and told us all that we could keep our rooms till 11:30 that evening. They definitely didn't have to do this but it was very much appreciated that we had a room that late so that we could have a rest before starting our journey home. The internet is dial up so yes it is slow but you are vacay so relax and enjoy.

The food was fantastic at the three a la cartes we went to: Asian, Italian and Medittereanian. The staff were fabulous and friendly here as well. The a la cartes were pre booked for us which was fine but if you need to change the time you just go to the customer service desk and they will change the time for you. The food in the buffet was ok; not great but it could have been a lot worse. The only thing missing on the buffet at breakfast was bacon; this is the first resort there was never any bacon for breakfast but it certainly didn't ruin our vacation.

The pools are beautiful and the vegetation will be gorgeous once it has fully grown. The beach is nice. Yes, there is rock in the water...just bring water shoes. While we were there they were bringing in big machinery at low tide and trying to bust up the rock so in time the rock should be all gone. Lots of chairs and palapas available so no need to leave your towel and walk away for hours. The only concern about the beach we had was the fact that there were 4 young Cuban males on the beach or skulking in the trees. It was a bit unnerving cause we didn't know why they would be hiding in the trees unless they were up to no good. Apparently they were military and they were keeping an eye on the new lifeguard that was there. Still didn't like the fact that they were in the trees. We became friends with one of the lifeguards and some of gave him some presents which he left with us while he went and checked things out on the beach and he said if we left they would be fine here with our stuff. He was wrong. The bag with his stuff in it was taken but ours was left. Take from that what you will. He was a great resource of information regarding rip tides and the sea life they had and what to do if we encountered a barracuda while in the water. Not sure if he is still working here or not as we have strong suspicions that he got fired the last day we were there cause he was reportedly not doing his job. Which in our opinion he was....he told us of the dangers lurking in the water. Also the resort should invest in a tower for the lifeguards to sit in as well as a yellow caution flag for the beach; apparently they only have red and green.

I cannot comment on the entertainment as we didn't see any of it. We prefered to hang out in the lobby bar with our friends.

So, would I return....most definitely. I have been to 12 other all inclusive resorts so I am somewhat travelled. I might not go back for a few years though as we like to try out different resorts but we would go back again in a heartbeat. There was nothing seriously wrong with this resort that would not make me go back. It's your vacation so make it a good one.

Room Tip: We were in 5316 and we had both an ocean view and a lake view.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
9  Thank IslandGirl2009

Reviewed February 23, 2013

just got back , we had wonderful trip. the people in cuba are what made trip special, you are treated like royalty at this resort. the food was great huge selection. great beach, there is alittle corral , but once your out 10 feet or so pure white sand crystal clear water, they were working at clearing the corral when we were there . we took bus ride around cayo coco this resort stood out above the others that i seen. the grounds kept nice 3 or 4 gardeners working all the time. the manager of the resort is very hands on, he was there every meal time with the head chef checking out the buffet to make sure things 100% GREAT ENTERTAIN MENT! ALL THE STAFF WONDERFULL.

Room Tip: building 2 close to pool and facilitys
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank rose162
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Okay, I have no idea where to start except to say that the staff are overworked and not appreciated by management or by many of the guests here.With the limited resources that they do have, staff make the effort to keep everyone happy.

Stayed at Memories Flamenco Cayo Coco, Jan 12-19th, here’s the recap:

Sunwing-very good. First time I’ve had excellent service from them on trip down and return.

Airport in Cuba- what a s&&t storm. Not enough buses to take two fully loaded aircraft of passengers, nearly 400 (1 from Toronto, 1 from Montreal 5 mins. earlier) to their hotels. Waits of up to 90 minutes in the hot sun (which I’m fine with) for people to board bus to resort. Next time I would take a taxi ($20)

Hotel- another problem for some. 2 ½ hour wait for room. I was okay with it, but folks with families were not. Lots to do in the meantime.

Rooms- excellent and clean. They upgraded me without prodding or paying. Being polite to staff helps.

Staff-excellent. They work very hard and deserve whatever tips people can afford to pay them. No complaints whatsoever! 80% of the money I brought went to tips

Food-well for Cuba, I was very impressed. But still not all that good.

Beach-excellent. People who complain about coral should stay home.

Entertainment- best I have ever seen at an all inclusive. And I have been to many.

Overall experience. Very enjoyable! Folks need to bring a good attitude and remember where they are (or aren’t).

Recommend-VIP lounge at Jardine del Rey airport for return. For $25 this is well worth it in a quiet secluded “club like” environment. Best way to spend 3 hours waiting for plane home!

Not recommended- Diamond Club upgrade. Every single person I talked to who upgraded felt ripped off and will not return because of their disappointment in this “feature.”

I, on the other hand felt that I got more than my money’s worth and would definitely return to this resort!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
13  Thank Stephen M
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We stayed at this resort Feb 14 - 21. The resort was recommended by our travel agent, Laura at Flight Centre. In fact, she discouraged us from going to any of the resorts we had researched and talked us in to this destination (5 star) AND convinced us to upgrade to Diamond Club (private beach with butler service). What a waste of money!

-Rooms are clean and staff are nice but this resort is understaffed. People are working hard all the time but when the resort was at capacity the level of service suffers because staff could not keep up. It was clear to us that profit was more important than guest experience for the owners of this establishment.

-I paid for Ocean View room which turned out to be a view of the trees. The resort records indicated that I had reserved pool view (which I didn't get either) and when I showed my documents that I paid for Ocean View they agreed to move us BUT could not provide a room with two beds (which we required) so we stayed put.

-I booked two queen beds which Laura told me she requested (she did indicate that they would be smaller than our queen beds). What we got were two beds which are a few inches wider than a twin. I ordered a cot as we were three people in the room but the cot was so hard it was like sleeping on the tile floor. The front desk informed me that there is no such thing as a queen bed at this resort. You get two "doubles" or one king.

-Sunwing representatives are not present early morning when guests are departing for excursions so if there is a problem, there is no one available to help resolve. I also witnessed their lack of willingness to help guests as nothing ever seemed to be their fault.

-We had no running water on three occassions so couldn't shower or get ready. This issue was usually short lived and within half hour the water would be back on but still a nuisance.

-The main buffet has a lot of selections but the food is really not very good. Food was not kept hot, many items are deep fried, greasy or undercooked. There are minimal fresh vegetables and fruit. A lot of pasta which gets tiring after 3 or 4 days! Omelettes for breakfast were good if you don't mind waiting in line.

-The snack bar may be open 24 hrs a day but that does not mean that food is available. They run out of items on the buffet and do not replenish. On our last day, offerings consisted of white rice, hash browns and french fries and then they ran out of the french fries. Long waits for service due to lack of staff.

-We went to the Meditteranean Restaurant and no one liked the food so we went to the main buffet for pasta, again. The Italian was okay but as indicated by other reviewers it is the same food that you get at the main buffet - luke warm, overcooked pasta.

-Drinks are inconsistent from bar to bar and you never really knew what you would get. The beer was flat and warm on our last day.

-Drinking water was only delivered to our room on 4 of the 7 days we were there. I took our empty bottles to the bar to have them refilled.

Bottom line is we went with low expectations based on what we read from other people's posts and this helped us prepare. If you are looking for an economical vacation, don't care what you eat or drink and don't pay for upgrades, this is the place for you. Personally, I prefer to eat good food and sleep in comfort so I would not recommend this resort, nor would I return.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank J S
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I have been traveling all my life, mostly around South America, but Cuba beats them all by far. I had a time of my life.

I've met the hotel manager (Mr. Octavio), Room Division Manager (Mr.Miguel), Chef (Jose from Spain) and last but not least the hotel economy director, these people are very responsible for the work they conduct at the hotel.

The other staff are simply fantastic and pleasant to talk to and always willing to help out when necessary. From the receptionist to the bar tender and room service, etc.

Suggestion:

The beach has some rocks before entering the water, I suggest that you get yourself a pair of aqua socks in order to walk around the beach comfortably.

Conclusion:

As for the rest, some people eat like they've never seen good food before and drink like camels, after all they have the guts to criticize the hotel impeccable service and staff.

Shame on them.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
8  Thank Alberto_the_singer
Memories_Flamenco, Director General at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2013

Dear Alberto,

Thank you for your beautiful review of our resort in Cayo Coco, Memories Flamenco.
For us its very important to read that you had the time of your life. Thank you because we are working hard in order to offer you the service that you deserve.

We have shared it with our staff and we hope to see you soon in this your Cuban Home.

Kind Regards,

Jesus Robledo
Director General I General Manager

Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

The place overall was very nice,rooms were nice everything worked.A la carte restaurants were good service was great.Buffet food was fair to good the food stations that prepared things for you while you waited at back of buffet were awesome to name a few omelettes,pasta,seafood.the staff was very pleasant overall did not have one problem .The entertainment was excellent.Check in was very fast gave you your room number and keys at airport very nice. I have 2 small complaints snack bar in evening goes to a order your food place so takes a bit of time and they assign you your a la cartes and times for them did not like this would rather pick them when I got there as to be more flexible with my schedule personally found a la cartes to be half full of people guess they shared my view. I would recommend this hotel to anybody without a question.We traveled with a group of 16 which was 4 families 8 kids in all and they had a blast .Last of all the Beach ,once you got in the water it was beautifull ,nice sand at the top of the beach ,getting into the water there is a little rock not terrible and they are removing the rock so in time it will be quite nice .if you have any questions e mail me prouty.craig@yahoo.ca

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Craig1231
Reviewed February 21, 2013

What a trip .We travel with sunwing ,the flight was great but arriving at the hotel is a different storie. Great staff but limited quantity of food and very bad food .Many people were sick while we were there even my friend spend 4 days in bed and she had to go to the international clinic They are often short of towels for the room,and the beach one too.We had difficulty to get the type of room that we had reserved, it took close to 36 hours for us to get something on the main floor that we had requested.We end up taking a room with a king size bed instead of 2 single bed. The dishes was not very clean.They are fixing the beach area at this time maybe next year the beach might be better.The internet is still dial up We tried for 2 days and could not connect to hotmail.Cell phone don't work from there.We will not travel back to that hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends