“Our first-hand experience hopefully helps other travelers”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cayo Coco
Memories Flamenco Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed at Memories Flamenco the week of Jan. 26 to Feb. 2, 2013.

Check in: Check in on the bus helped us avoid the line up at the front desk.

Beach: We thought it was nice and did not find the rocks to be an issue. The wait time for a burger or dog is extremely long.

Pool: We spent most of our time lounging around the lower pool. Finding a chair was never a problem. The pool bar staff were friendly and quick to serve you. The pool was cool most days and I’m sure it would have been warmer had it not been cloudy most of the week. We didn’t care for the guy working at the pool that helps you find a chair.
There was a guest there celebrating her birthday and had obviously had a few to many. The pool guy spent his entire afternoon following her. He should have been looking out for her not putting his hand on her in places they shouldn’t have been. We reported it to the assistant manager who agreed with us and spoke to him. We personally felt a talk was not the appropriate deterrent for this kind of behavior in the service industry. If he is still employed there ladies be very careful around the chair guy.
The entertainment staff did a great job getting people involved. I participated but my wife didn’t.

Our room: We were in block 6 on the 3rd floor. It was very nice room. There was never a problem with noise from people in the hallway. We found the King Size bed very comfortable and both slept well on it. Our mini fridge wasn’t working when we arrived how ever a quick check found it had been unplugged, worked well after that. It was to be stocked daily however the first couple of days it was hit and miss. Showing up at 7:00pm to do this is too late. After talking with the two workers responsible for this I found out if I paid them twenty Paso’s they would put extra beer in the fridge. Somehow I pretty sure it’s not the way it’s to work but the only way to get the beer.
Having room towels also presented a problem. First two days no bath towels. Trying to speak with the girl cleaning the room was nearly impossible as she wouldn’t or couldn’t speak English. When I finally offered her money she brought two orange towels for the bathroom, apparently money is the international language. Two days later she took the towels back and we got proper bath towels. The following day the used towels from the floor were hung back up for us to use. After a conversation with the person inspecting the rooms we received clean ones. The air conditioner worked good We never had any problems with toilet paper or exchanging swim towels.

Buffet: We at all our meals at the Buffets. With all the reviews commenting on food temperature I can’t understand why they continue to say the will pass this on to correct it and after almost a year it is still not fixed. For breakfast my wife enjoyed the omelet station as she quickly realized that fresh made omelets were hot. Some days they would have hash browns and bacon some days they wouldn't. Loved the orange juice. For lunch and super the fish and pasta were always good. You may want to check the yogurt containers as we have never eaten yogurt that was the same consistency as milk.
We always found a table and were always asked what we would like to drink. We were always able to find something to eat and did not go hungry.
Snack Bar: Tried the three minute pizza and enjoyed it.

Ala Carts: Never attended as we didn’t hear good comments and booking times were too late.
Bars: Had good service at the lobby bar. Was a little confused as to why smoking was allowed in there until Friday then the staff informed us it was a closed area and there was no more smoking allowed?

Entertainment: We went to The Michael Jackson Show was very impressed.

Staff: We had positive experiences with all the staff with the exception of as mentioned the woman cleaning our room and the pool guy. They seemed to be happy and we were grateful for their service.

OVERALL: We had a good time and were able to escape the cold of winter for a week. Won’t be back if review concerns don’t effect changes and the pool guy is still there. Hoping Memories Flamenco Administration start making suggested improvements instead of just passing them on with no changes occurring. In the years to come only you can choose what you want the resort to be.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Monkeeee
Write a ReviewReviews (5,888)

Reviewed February 11, 2013

My wife and I were there January 27th - Feb 3rd. We had a wonderful time and thought the resort was great... We were quite nervous from reading the various reviews and did not know quite what to expect for our first trip to Cuba. Check in was a breeze and only had time for one quick refreshment on the drive in from the airport. We stayed in building #1 and Sairy took care of us... room was spotless and we had no issues with towels, TP, beer or water. Pool areas were busy but always found a spot/chair. On one occasion none were available and someone ran and got my wife and I one. Bar staff was super and Victor took care of our drink needs with a smile... Lots of stuff to do around the pool and music was not overly load. Evening entertainment was good , we really enjoyed the Jazz band and the Classical (2X's) for both....Never made it to the stage show however hear it was super. No issues with food, My wife is picky but always found something to eat at the buffet and I found the food always hot, varied and plentiful... Wait staff was attentive to us and always were checking to see if everything was ok. Al-cartes were good and were always prompt with our times, very attentive staff. Grounds were neat, tidy and clean. Hotel bars were busy and I did not mind waiting a minute or two for a drink ( Cuban time people) I know I drank my weight in expresso as well.... Internet room was busy but worked fine for me to rattle off an email or two. Well stocked store for odds and ends... Common areas were always being cleaned or swept .... Front desk staff was had a answer to my questions.... I have been to Mexico 2x's ... 5 Star both and they ranked far behind this Resort ..... This resort has converted me and intent to visit again.. Plus I saved $ 800.00 compared to Mexico.... :-) Memories Flamenco is a gem !!

Room Tip: Building 1 was close to everything... We did ocean view :-)
2  Thank ADANAC123
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Memories Flamenco the last week of January. This was our fifth trip to Cuba. The resort is quite spread out. We had requested a room with a king bed, close to the pool and on a higher floor. Our room, before changing after two nights, was the farthest away from the pool, had two twin beds and was on the main floor (building 10). Our new room (building 1) was much better. It was on the main floor, had twin beds, but looked at the pool and was much more convenient to everything. The fridge was restocked daily with water, cola and beer (not always Cristal beer - sometimes another brand). The maid did a good job cleaning and creating beautiful towel art. The buffet was the best we have had in Cuba. Good variety and tasty, although not always hot. Cappuccino was great from the bars. The pizza and pasta at the Snack Bar by the pool was delicious. We asked for shrimp on both and they were large in size and plentiful. One day however, they were out of shrimp :( . We had no luck at the 24 hour snack shack by the ocean. When we went, the food looked as if it had been sitting for hours. Not appealing. The a la cartes were okay. The staff was friendly (as we have always found in Cuba). If you need something, don't phone reception - go there. We had no service when we phoned. We didn't purchase Diamond Club, but the only difference we noticed was some brands of liquor were only for Diamond Club at the Lobby Bar. The store on the resort had a poor selection and quantity of cigars, but the prices were the same as Duty Free. The nightly shows were average. We have seen worse and we have seen better. The beach was the worst we have ever seen. If you are a beach person, you will not be pleased with this beach. There is so much coral. We took the $5 bus to Playa Pilar and the Sol Resort. Both these beaches are beautiful. The Sol's is sheltered from the wind and there are no rocks/coral to walk over. Overall, if Memories Flamenco had a better beach, I would recommend it to everyone. The people, accommodations, food and drinks are great. It's just too bad about the beach.

Room Tip: Building 10 is a long walk to everything.
Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Overall we had a great stay at Memories Flamenco!
Check in... We had check in on the bus and it was great! Bus ride to the resort was a short 15 minutes and we had a nice cold beer to pass the time (2 for $5). We took our own luggage to our room after hearing that the wait is quite long and you must stay in your room to receive your luggage. This was not an issue for us at all.
Beach... I thought it was beautiful and did not find the rock to be an issue. I never wore water shoes. If you walk to the right about 5 minutes there is beautiful sandy beach. As for the the butler service at the beach. We never used it as we would got up to get our own drinks. Neve had any issues finding a chair.
Pool... We spent most of our time lounging around the pools. Never had an issue finding a chair even when we came to the pool mid day. We never waited long for service at the pool bar and the staff were very friendly. The pool was cool but very refreshing! The entertainment staff did a great job getting people involved weather it was stretching or water polo. I didn't participate but my husband did.
Our room... We were in block 9 on the 3rd floor. It was quiet and we weren't disturbed by any noise. We found the bed to our liking. Our mini fridge was always well stocked and sometimes we had extra beer. We left a tip in it each day. We had our towels changed whenever we requested. One negative is the maid came late in the afternoon (4-5ish) and that's when we liked to have an afternoon nap. Air conditioner worked great! We never had any issue with toilet paper or beach towels.
Buffet... I can be honest that the buffet left alot to be desired. For breakfast I loved having the omelette station and had it everyday. Somedays they would have hash browns and some days they wouldn't. For lunch and super the pasta stations were good. A few nights they had a guy making sushi which we enjoyed. However most items in the actual buffet were very miss. Battered fish had bones. Potatoes not always cooked. That all being said we did not go hungry. We always found a table and often were asked what we would like to drink. I agree with other comments that a self serve juice/water/coffee bar would really alleviate some negative reviews. Snack Bar had good poutine and pizza. Did not like the snack bar as a Buffett during lunch. Under cooked chicken... The Italian place was nice to have pizza and pasta between 10-4. I was not ill from the food and I have a sensitive stomach so that's a major win!
Ala Carte Meals... I emailed ahead of time and had our reservations pre booked. We were booked at the Creole, Asian and Medetterian for 845. We didn't mind the late dinner time as it allowed us time to relax in the evening/shower/get ready and enjoy a drink in the lobby bar. Asian was my husbands favourite! Sushi was great and battered veggie starter was nice too. Loved the chicken for the main dish and enjoyed the ice cream desert. Medetterian was my favourite! Loved my main of lobster tail and my husband had the lamb that was like shepherd pie ish! As for the Creole... They ran out of the beef and lamb. Husband had rabbit instead and loved it. I had the ribs and they were unedibable. The apps and deserts were bad.
Bars... Had great service at the lobby bar! Loved their coffee in the AM and beer and wine in the PM. Best resort house red/white wine I've experienced. Also enjoyed the Mary Pickford drink. Loved the lounge atmosphere. We went to the disco one night and there weren't many people there.
Entertainment.. We only caught the tail end of the shows since we had late reservations. The Michael Jackson show was very impressive.
Staff... We had positive experiences with all the staff. They seemed to be happy and we were greatful for their service.
TIPS TO TRAVELERS
-If your a foodie maybe this isn't the resort for you.
-walk down the beach away from the chairs spread you beach towel out and enjoy the quiet. Have lunch at the Rancho Cayo Coco ($15.00 lobster).
-watch the sunset from the pier.
-relax your on vacation! If you don't like lines don't go to the buffet as soon as it opens!
-bring snacks from home. The resort store has very little in terms of snacks.
-although the website say 'room service' it actually just means the beer fridge?!
TIPS TO RESORT
- Be careful with your cheap fixtures in the hotel rooms. They won't hold up the test time. Shower rod and shower head were both in rough wear already in our room.
- More cleaning staff is needed. Cleaning rooms at 5pm is not professional. Ideally they should be finished between 10-2.
- Make your own waffle bar at breakfast would be a great addition. You already have the ingredients since you make pancakes.
- More consistency within the restaurants will bring up your standard of food. Most were great and other day were simply bad. I understand the limited resources but to be a five star the food issue must be addressed.

OVERALL... We had a lovely time and enjoyed being able to escape the chaos of everyday life. I loved the beach and watching the sunset from the pier was one of my favorite memories. Not sure if we will be back as we like to try new places when we travel. We would suggest this resort to friends and family with the caution about the food. Wishing Memories Flamenco the best of luck in the years to come! You have great staff! Treat them well!

• Stayed: February 2013
15  Thank Sarah A
Memories_Flamenco, Director General at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for trust in Memories Beach resorts and thank you for choosing Memories Flamenco.
We have shared your comments with all of our staff and we would like to thank you and we hope to see you soon, in this, your Cuban Home.

Thanks again for your suggestions,

Regards,

Reviewed February 9, 2013

We arrived at 4:30 am on the 30th of January for a one week vacation. Upon arrival at our room we noted that the security latch on the door was not working, mini-bar was practically empty, a light switch was inoperable and the towel rack in the bathroom was broken. One day later after numerous calls to the front desk we were finally relocated to a decent room. We found the hotel staff and Cuban people to be extremely courteous, polite and helpful (as best they could) at all times. Conversely, I was embarassed to see Canadians wandering around the resort carrying idiotic looking thermos cups, drunk,extremely demanding and behaving in a completely rude and obnoxious fashion to everyone around them. It was the behaviour of these low-life morons that made our stay at this resort less than pleasant. We found the food to be quite good compared to other resorts although our three, pre-booked a la carte reservations were made out for us for 8:45 pm which was rather late. I would not recommend families with small children stay at this hotel, not because of the staff, service or the anemities provided... but for the simple reason of not exposing the little ones to the "ugly" Canadians who seem to be attracted to this locale and can't seem to behave in a civilized manner when all you can drink booze is available to them on a 24/7 basis.

5  Thank Phil L
Memories_Flamenco, Director General at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Dear Phil,

Thank you for trust in Memories Beach resorts and thank you for choosing Memories Flamenco as resort where spend your hoildays.
We are very sorry for the inconveniences you had in your room at the arrival time and we hope you could enjoy in our facilities. Concerning the pre-reservations for the " a la carta" restaurant we offer the posbility to change the times at the hotel.
Thank you for saying that " the hotel staff and Cuban people to be extremely courteous, polite and helpful (as best they could) at all times"

We hope to have the opportunity to see you again with us,

Regards,

Reviewed February 8, 2013

We went to this great resort in Jan 24th/2013 for a week. My family and I frequent travellers to the Caribbean, and have been many places in Cuba.
My two adult daughters came with us also and there was no shortage of entertainment, or anything at all.
The rooms and common areas are spotless clean and I have OCD, the staff is fabolous and very friendly, houskeepers are very efficient, all bar and restaurant staff are courtesy and polite.
The shows are great, I never seen a water balett in my life like at this place.
I highly recommend to everyone to visit the Flamenco, and they will have a wonderful time.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Eva T
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We arrived Jan. 31st to feb.7. They had our bracelets and room keys at the airport, which was very nice and time saving when we got to the hotel. Our luggage was delivered to our room within half an hour. Our fridge was well stocked. Even though I read reviews regarding the diamond club not being worth the money. Wrong, we had a nice lounge we could go to and enjoy a international drink. We had the best of the beach, which not many people used. If the beach is empty,others do use it that aren't diamond club. Ifeel it is worth it,we asked for ocean view, ok, there are trees, but you can view some of the gorgeous tourquois water between the trees. You want a better look, go to the beach. Pool view is definitely nicer. If we couldn't find a chair, we would have said something. The food was good , good variety. We have been to different resorts in Cuba and find this one by far the best. Staff is excellent, obviously you are going to find so friendlier than others. You get what you give. For those that got sick, usually self inflicked. This is a fairly new resort and they do have some things to work on, but the place is very nice and we came home very happy with our vacation.

Stayed: January 2013
17  Thank Marjorie L

Dear Marjorie,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and with other travelers.
We have also shared your beautiful comments of your "Fantatsic trip" with all of our staff.

All the family of Memories Flamenco want to say you thanks again, and we hope to see you soon in this, your Cuban home.

Kind regards,

#2 of 12 in Cayo Coco
IBEROSTAR Mojito
IBEROSTAR Mojito
#8 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to Memories Flamenco Beach Resort? Share your experiences!