“Fantastic holiday, wonderful staff”

Memories Flamenco Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Reviewed January 6, 2013

My friend and I stayed at Memories Flamenco Cayo Coco from Dec. 29 to Jan. 5. We were a bit worried after reading the very mixed reviews of this resort, but were quite relieved to find it was a beautiful, clean, modern (compared to older resorts in Cuba) resort with great facilities and wonderful staff.

We were met by staff at the airport shuttles with our bracelets and room keys, which meant we didn't even have to check in. The ride to the resort was about 15 minutes, 20 tops. When you arrive, they give you a welcome drink and tell you they'll bring your bags to your room.

Our room (junior suite) was the nicest we've ever stayed in in Cuba (this was my third trip and my friend's seventh trip to Cuba). It was bright and clean and pretty. There is a hairdryer in the room and a mini bar that Sunwing keeps stocked with coke, beer, and a big bottle of water that they replace every day.

The beach was great. Yes, there is coral, but it's not the end of the world. There is coral between the beach area and the ocean, so if you stay on the beachy, sandy area, you have no problem. And if you want to head into the water, you can do one of three things: wear sandals or water shoes, go barefoot and be careful, or walk across the pier and down the stairs directly into the water. It's really not a problem at all.

We read that there are mosquitoes, and this is true, but we only got bitten at night, especially standing by the pool to watch the water ballet (which was incredible!). Bring insect repellent and afterbite.

The food is just fine. No one goes to a Cuban resort for the food and you need to manage your expectations. I'm vegan and gluten-free, and even I managed to find enough to eat. My friend had hot pasta or pizza, made to order, every night. There is a good salad bar. And of course lots of meat and seafood (if that's your kind of thing).

The service in the buffet was wonderful. The staff are so kind and friendly and genuine. For anyone who had bad service, I just have to say that a smile goes a long way. If you are polite and kind to the staff, they will go above and beyond for you. I saw too many of the guests abusing the staff, and this is just uncalled for. If something isn't exactly the way you like it (e.g., they don't steam your eggs the way you make them at home), it's best to realize you're on vacation and it's one week out of your life. We did experience that the food at the buffet was often cold, as others have said. It would be nice if they could find a way to keep the food heated better, but again, really not the end of the world.

There were sometimes long waits for drinks at the bars, but the bartenders work so hard and were generally very good about knowing whose turn it was next. Lots of people did bring travel mugs to have the bartenders fill rather than using the little cups provided.

The pool area was great, and there were actually three pools: the large, main pool; the lower pool with the swim-up bar; and a kids' pool. There were always servers coming by to take your drink order and bring your drink right to you. There were also always games and dance lessons, etc. going on at the pool area.

The highlight for us were the performances every night. The dancers are incredible, and they really put on a fantastic show. As others have said, the Michael Jackson show was amazing — it even got a standing ovation!

There were several excursions offered, and we chose to go horseback riding at their sister resort, Memories Caribe. It was a 20-minute horse-and-carriage ride away, and then you get to ride along the beach for an hour. It was lots of fun.

The only drawback for us, which has nothing to do with the resort or facilities itself, were all the young kids running around. Last year, we went to the adults-only Melia Cayo Coco and loved it. This place was just about as good, but we prefer adults only.

Also, the only problem we had in the room was on the first night. I switched on the floor lamp in the corner and blew a fuse. I called reception (0) but they didn't seem to understand me and accidentally disconnected me. I then called service (800) and they spoke better English and said they'd send a technician to the room. While I was waiting, I looked around for the fuse box and found it near the door. I just switched the one switch that was on Off to On and it worked. But when I tried to turn on that lamp again, it blew a fuse again, so we didn't use it. The technician arrived after about 10 minutes or so, and I told him I already fixed the problem. He smiled and joked with me, and left.

Overall, the resort was great, and I highly recommend it. There are always going to be complainers, but if you go with an open mind and just relax about trivial things, you'll have a fantastic time. Your holiday is what you make of it.

Room Tip: We were in Bungalow 4, on the third floor, room 4302. It was quiet and not too far from the pool, bu...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Kerri M

Reviewed January 6, 2013

I visited Flamenco Sept 11th to the 25th. It was my first time going to Cuba. I honestly cannot express how amazing it was. I enjoyed every single day of my vacation, every single hour, minuite and second. Everyone there was so kind and sweet and definatly did all that they can to keep our trip the most best. The pool is very beautiful! The beach is very relaxing and beautiful as well, although there were little rocks. You can find all kinds of food at flamenco. Snack bar is open 24 hrs. There are three restaurants, different tastes but also very good. There is also the buffet. I assure you will not leave feeling hungry. The best I would say is the breakfast! The eggs are cooked so wonderfully! The entertainment group is without doubt the BEST! Honestly, made our trip sucha blast! They have true talent and work very very hard! - Miss you guys! Might I add, everywhere you go in flamenco there is amazing background music! Honestly, in all 5 + star hotel! You won't regret it. Thank you flamenco for sucha wonderful stay! See you guys again very soon xxoo

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nour M
Memories_Flamenco, Director General at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Dear Nour,

What a beautiful review that you have shared with other travelers, thank you, thank you, thank you. Our "Heaven on earth" is located in Cayo Coco and its a brand new 5 star resort which is working hard offering the best service posssible and with a 5 star facilities where you can enjoy 2 adult pools, 2 kids pools, Spa with jacuzzi, sauna, turkish bath, Brand new GYM, Beauty saloon, 2 tennis courts and 1 basketball / volleyball court and much more...

We hope to see you soon in order to welcome you again personally with a BIG Smile and the "exclusive" check in at the Cayo Coco airport.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in late November....the price was very very reasonable which worried us at first...however we went with the attitude doesn't matter we are going to chill and were just happy to be on vacation....which a lot of people should get on s plane with the same attitude and there experience would be different...WELL we arrived and couldn't have asked for a better vacation....our room was spotless...food was good we had no issues with any meals...staff were great and the GM was on site everyday working along side the line staff when needed...drinks were always plentiful...beach wssnt that great however it was windy out entire stay...you are pretty secluded so it's a pretty relaxing vvacation not a lot of places to go alone...we took a bus to another beach about 45min away for 5 pesos...u can also buy beer n lunch there...it was a nice beachbbeachbut again it was windy...this resort is only 6months old....to sum up our experience I'd like to go again in April we had such a great vacation...for the money we spent it was worth every penny...we also got upgraded to diamond club however I probably wouldn't spend extra money for it ....we didn't see much value in except we did get 4pm checkout !!! GREAT JOB FLAMENCO !!

• Stayed: November 2012
14  Thank lovetorunallthetime
Memories_Flamenco, Director General at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for trust in Memories Beach resorts and for choosing our brand new 5 star resort at the sunny and paradisiac Cayo Coco, Memories Flamenco.

We are very happy reading that our room was spotless,food was good, and our staff was great.
See you in April and remember that here you have your Cuban Home, Memories Flamenco.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Memories Flamenco is comparable to 4 star resorts in Cuba and elsewhere however it does not meet 5 star resort standards as advertised. We travelled from December 23 - 30, 2012, and while our vacation was restful, we were disappointed.

Check-In at the airport was fast and efficient. It was nice to see the Managers greeting guests in person at the airport. Upon arrival at the hotel we were directed to the VIP lounge (as we paid for the Diamond Package) where we received our four a la carte reservations. This was the only perk we received from the Diamond Club and it was nice not to have to fuss with reservations however being able to choose your time to dine would have been nice. I'm sure we could have rearranged it if we tried though.

Our room was very clean. Strangely, it was as though the resort wasn't expecting us in the room as our fridge was not stocked and the screen door to the balcony fell on us. We called to have the fridge stocked (we were concerned more so about having water than anything else) and were told it would be that evening...the next morning we called again and were told that it would be after 9am...by the evening it was stocked). We did not call to have the balcony door fixed (figured we would pick/choose our battles) but did notice other balconies around the resort with their screen doors falling out/down. Once our fridge was filled, it was consistently filled after that. I would leave a little note in the fridge with a $1 tip and our requests were always met. The front desk staff were not the most pleasant to deal with when we did call.

Towels were a tricky thing to get at this hotel. The first day we only had blue beach towels in our room, including the bathroom (first sign they were low). The second day we got white towels. The third day when we returned to our room around 5pm, there were no towels. We called and were quickly supplied with towels from the salon (orange-colored). A day or so after there were no beach towels. This is not something you expect from a five-star resort.

Christmas Eve on the resort was very well done. Santa arrived on the beach by boat and in the late afternoon the staff along with Santa in a sleigh pulled by a donkey dressed as a reindeer paraded around the resort singing Feliz Navidad. The evening buffet on Christmas Eve was very well done and the show was incredible.

The buffet food was limited and I suspect it because only certain foods are available in the region. For example, there was limited variety of fruit - pineapple, guava, papaya, sometimes bananas and sometimes honeydew. The food was repetitive but okay overall and typical of four star resorts. The a la carte restaurants were not that great - we found the Mediterranean restaurant the best. Unlike other resorts, the staff at this resort, particularly in the restaurants, rarely smile. The food at the snack bar was much better, as were the staff.

What was 5 star quality?
- Cleanliness of the rooms/resort
- Guys on the beach who set up your chair and brush the sand off
- Wines/Champagnes
- Dinner reservations booked ahead of time
- Nightly shows

What was not 5 star quality?
- Diamond Club did not offer as advertised (e.g., we asked about the bathrobes in the room, were told by front desk staff that we had to request them, requested them from front desk, and never got them); for so many reasons it is not worth the upgrade
- Fridge not being filled for 24 hours
- Towel problem
- Limited selection of food (quality in particular in the restaurants)
- Beach is quite rocky (we expected this but it just isn't comparable to other resorts)

We would not return to this resort and I really don't think I would recommend it. We paid a small fortune ($4000) to go to this resort for a week and it was not worth it. Had we paid $2000 for the week, I would be much happier reflecting on the trip but unfortunately I do regret choosing this resort. RIU hotels are winning out for me in the 5-star category from now on.

Saying all of this, the trip was okay. For anyone who has booked it in the upcoming months, they seem to always be making changes and I could see from reading a lot of reviews beforehand that they take the reviews seriously and have implemented changes. Go with an open mind...arrive with a bottle of water in your bag (for teeth-brushing just in case)...extra towels...water shoes...and don't forget the bug repellent (six days later I have just stopped scratching from the other 50 bites on my body even after using repellent).

Happy Vacation!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank JaniceD7
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My wife and I spent a great week at the Memories Flamenco resort in Cayo Coco Cuba. We had been to four other all-inclusives in Cuba and this was clearly the best of the five. We arrived in the evening of Nov. 21, 2012. The check-in procedure and room assignment was all done at the airport was was very slick indeed. Our luggage was delivered to our room within the hour. We were in block 5; our room had a view of the lagoon with beautiful sunsets each night. The room was spotlessly maintained, the AC worked perfectly and when we had a small problem with the sliding glass door, a maintenance tech was there inside a half hour. A small bottle of rum went with the room as well as beer, pop and bottled water that was supplied daily. The food at the buffet was much superior to any other place we had experienced in Cuba. The salad selection and choice was consistent each day. The grilled fish and pork was a hit at the beach buffet! We were given pre-booked reservations at the a-la-carte restaurants that were much too late for us, so we just showed up at 7 pm and had no problem being served.

The beach was rocky in places but if you walked a few hundred metres in either direction, the rocks disappeared. Very good snorkeling right off the resort. Bring water shoes. The temperature in Nov. was in the low 20's C. every day with some cloud and strong breezes much of the time but also lots of sun. There are two massive pools, one with non-stop activities but we much preferred relaxing on the beach, never too far from the beach bar. In general the staff at the resort (maids, waiters, barmen, maintenance staff) were always very helpful and friendly.

We took an enjoyable excursion to the nearby city of Moron, a gritty and authentic Cuban centre. We had a great time jet-boating on an inland lake and the visit to the crocodile farm was fun. Cost was 55 pesos each.

We recommend paying the 20 pesos for the VIP package when departing the airport. You get great snacks and drinks, your own lounge with comfy chairs and you pre-board the aircraft.

We definitely recommend Memories Flamenco.

S. and D. Leighton

Room Tip: Try to get a room in one of the newer blocks. We were on the top floor so there was a lot of stair c...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
20  Thank sleigher48
Memories_Flamenco, Director General at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2013

Dear guest,

First of all thank you for trust in Memories Beach resorts and thank you for choosing our brand new resort in Cayo Coco, Memories Flamenco.

We are very happy reading that you had been to four other all-inclusives in Cuba and this was clearly the best of the five.

We would like to see you soon with us, at your Cuban home, with your Cuban Family, Memories Flamenco.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I fianlly let my wife talk me into going to Cuba and we had an excellent vacation. The resort was brand new not all the buildings were finished yet but that didn't matter. The beach was fabulous, the weather was great and the staff were terrific.

Would defitely go back.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2013

This was my first time to Cuba and I booked this resort because it was a 5 star (what a joke), the price was reasonable to upgrade to the Diamond Club (what Diamond Club), the reviews were good (not sure people are reviewing the same resort) and the pictures were beautiful (ok no complaints there this place is very beautiful). When we arrived we were taken to the Diamond Club room (totally inconvenient location in relation to the beach, pool and rooms) where premium drinks (very little mix and no ice half the time) and snacks are for the diamond club members are offered. We were then given our room keys and introduction to the Diamond Club staff. We went to our room and there was no towels, mini bar was empty, no alarm clock and there was no book explaining anything about the resort or how to use the phone. We arrived late so we missed the buffet and had to eat at the snack bar (food was disgusting). One night I decided to venture away from my usual pizza order and got Bruschetta which consisted of two pieces of white MOLDY toast with green peppers, onion and cheese. The next day we went down to the beach to the Diamond Club side (not an exclusive beach area as anyone was allowed on it). The whole time we were down there no one brought us drinks (Butler Service on beach was nonexistent for the most part). The whole vacation I believe we got 2 drinks brought to us the rest of the time we had to go get our own. As for the buffet the food was not good at all and there is no exclusive area to eat for Diamond Club members. The resort is very nice looking and the beach is beautiful but it’s not worth the upgrade to diamond club in my opinion and for a 5 star the service was horrible. The people working are very friendly but a lot of them don't understand English at all so it was a bit frustrating trying to communicate with the staff.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Sarah D

Dear guest,

Thank you for leave a review on tripadvisor.com, with your comments we can improve our services and quality standars. However we had not the opportunity to talk about all your suggestions during your stay, and we could change your perception of our brand new 5 star resort at the sunny and paradisiac Cayo Coco.

We have read that the resort is very nice looking, the beach is beautiful and the people working are very friendly, so we can not understand how did you rate us and how did you gave that title on your review.

We would like to have the opportunity to see you again in our resort, it would be a pleasure to meet you and show you our real 5 star facilities, the best at the Cayo Coco at this momment.