“Best Service Ever”

Memories Caribe Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Reviewed December 27, 2009

I agree with all what was written below me
except for the NO mosquitos. We are bit all over so bug repellant might help.
Pool was great...lit at night and we were allowed to use it as long as we were quiet.

Toilets are way too far from the beach. We also found it easier to go back to the room, seeing that the toilets that were the closest were at the a-la-carte restaurant and had no soap.
The lack of soap is what bothered me the most.

Lobby bar service and piano playing at night was awesome.
Sure you wait for your drinks but these guys notice are working NON-stop, always rushing (we had bad weather : 6 days out of 7 so the lobby was always full)....don't forget they have 16 hour shifts every other day, and often travel hours by bus to get to the resort. Regardless, they were always friendly and warm.
Julio and Pedro, Pino and Oslin = great guys!
Hard working men :)

the food was ok. I'm not one to complain because we could always find something to eat but this was my least favorite resort for food. No pizza so hamburgers and hotdogs every day at lunch time became hard to digest. True that at the buffet, the bread was always fresh and you could get grilled meats made infront of you. The breakfasts were the best meal for me.

I couldn't stand the Celine Dion playing. They had it going in all the restaurants at dinner time, regardless of it being Christmas. Variety missing there.

The rooms were well kept clean. Yes I had a few ants on the bathroom sink also but that did not bother me, I've seen crabes in my room in other places so i was quite pleased. Two cokes in the fridge with a bottle of water for your week. Make friends with the bar people and they'll fill up another one for you.
They are all about recycling :)
Pillows are flat but at least they give you an extra blanket in the closet.
Rooms i thought were cleaned late. I'd go back to my room at 4 to see the cleaning lady hadn't passed yet. W ater pressure ok, but hot water was rare in my room. The rest of our gang could not complain.

I badly sprained my ankle 3 days into my trip so room 2307 was pretty far from everything. Seeing it rained a lot and the ceramic was slippery, it wasn't easy in crutches either but the staff was very friendly, bringing me an extra chair, asking if I wanted ice and even got rides to and from my room with a cart. Very helpful, altho I did not find the dr. very helpful. He didn't even take time to see if the crutches were fit for me. First time user so, not too sure about the height. Now that i'm back home, my crutches are much more suitable. Note that it costs $10 CUC per day if you need them.

The pool bar guy is great! can't remember his name because it was only nice on the last day but he does great tricks with icecubes. You can see he's been trained to entertain.

Entertainement, none. In some ways it's good, when you want to rest and have some quiet time...but none at all tends to get boring if you are there one week with bad weather.

In general, I recommend this hotel for those with families, not so much a party place. Not sure if I will be back altho there are employees there that I would love to see again. Great people :)

Gym was in great condition. 2 carpets, a few bikes and a step master. was glad to see that.

Big thanks to Julio!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank ShannaV

Reviewed December 26, 2009

Stayed at BlueBay dec 17-24 with my boyfriend and my family. Positive:
-The beach is stunning, I've been to numerous other places around the world and this had to be one of the best beaches ever!
- The food was delicious, definitely no complaints about that, there was lots of variety.
-The resort is very clean!
-Excellent snack bar, drinks, coffee at the piano bar.
-The International la carte restaurant was amazing, for my mom's birthday they organized a surprise for her with baloons and a cake, really unexpected!

Negatives:
-Prepare to get eaten by mosquitos at this place, even though we brought bug spray it didnt help at all, so at night we always wore sweaters and jeans to cover up.
-The telephone service is terrible, they need to get a timer on their phones so that people know how many minutes they've been using it for, instead of the front desk ripping them off.
-The entertainment crew could have tried to motivate people more to do some day time activities, I wish there were more.

-we're not pickly people, really enjoyed this place but then an hour before we left, the front desk accused us of stealing a towel from the room and wanted to charge us 15 pesos. I don't see why we would take a towel?! After losing about 40 minutes arguing at the front desk, they finally gave up. The way they dealt with this issue was very unprofessional and rude.

We didnt let this little stupid issue affect our view of this resort, we highly recommend it, but please do count your towels in the room so you know every day how many you are given, so that the front desk doesnt try to take your money for a "stolen towel".

Make your best of the nightlife, the disco at the resort is great, always got a bunch of people dancing, drinking and having an amazing time!

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Salsaa
Reviewed December 25, 2009

My family and I stayed at BlueBay December 17-24.
First off, we were surprised by the food. it was delicious!?
like, not just tolerable.. actually really good.
I'm a 17 year old girl and I found I got bored a lot. It was a quieter period as people wanted to be home for Christmas, and there wasn't always something to do.
the weather unfortunately wasn't the best and there were a couple of colder days (one day it rained) where there was nothing to do but drink. And people certainly did.

We did the jeep safari excursion. SO AWESOME. You drive your own little jeep, very bumpy. You go to a Crocodile breeding place, a farm where you can horseback ride, ride a bull, hold a snake, there's horse carriages, all included. You go up a mountain and get a gorgeous view. I never got to go snorkelling which was disappointing, because of the weather.

THE ENTERTAINER AT THE PIANO BAR HAD THE SAME SET EVERY NIGHT ANDN IF I HEAR HOTEL CALIFORNIA ONE MORE TIME I WILL SHOOT MYSELF.

Overall, it was a very nice hotel, the shows at night were good, food again was amazing, beautiful beach and pool, great drinks. We just went at a slower week.

1  Thank xjanien
Reviewed December 22, 2009

Stayed a week at BlueBay Cayo Coco in Sept. 2009. Absolutely gorgeous hotel, brand new, made in two storey bungalows.
Not too far away from the airport, friendly staff. Greeted by complimentary drinks. Bartenders seem to know what they doing, if not, a menu is always available at the bar with over a hundred drinks for you to choose from.
Food was surprisingly good. Steaks and chicken breasts cooked daily, salad bar and many other choices.
Swimming pool is gorgeous, lighten up at night. Main bar is great also, have after hours snack bar. Huge stage for night entertainment and it's always packed with people rehearsing for the night shows.
The only little disapointment was closure of pool bar. It seemed that everytime you wanted the drinks, had to swim to the bar and wait there till one of the bartenders from main bar would see you and make you a drink.
Rooms was great. I would recommend second floor, as you get a little balcony where you can hang your clothes to dry.
Gorgeous beach, one of a few i've seen this gorgeous. Stunning clear blue water with white sand. Absolutely amazing. If you walk couple of hundred meters you will end up in different resort, however, i've noticed they used our beach as it was much nicer.
There seem to be a problem with jellyfish when i was there, however, it was easy to avoid it.
The place does get raided by little mosquitoes in the evening and hotel staff does great job spraying the bushes and common areas to prevent this attacks. However i do advise you to bring a repellent.
Fitness center and tennis courts are amazing. The observation tower in the middle of the resort does add some spice to it, as it great for picture taking and wedding ceremonies.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Guamokolatoking
Reviewed December 20, 2009

Mu husband and I stayed at the blue bay Dec. 5th until Dec. 12th and had a very relaxing vacation. Reading the past reveiws yes they are pretty accurate. Never before when I stayed in Cuba did we have a problem with bugs but my husband got bitten a lot but I think it is because he was at the beach early in the morning. I had no problem. The beach was the best and the weather was perfect. My husband and I may come back for a second time the staff is wondeful. My husband and I have travelled to Cuba seven times and everyone complains about the food but I always find something to eat and the past station is always good. We met some great people while on vacation and yes they made it fun for us for sure .......just relax and enjoy the sunshine and wonderful beach.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 18, 2009

Left Toronto airport an hour late due to weather, but were happy to leave the winter behind. Our Westjet flight was pretty uneventful and smooth. Landed around 2:45 in Cayo Coco, hot, sunny, and windy. Saw the 'temperature-gauging machine" as we were all coralled through an area before going through customs.

We were met at the hotel with a nice cocktail, and the check in was really quick. Our rep gave us our hotel card on the bus, so we had it filled out already. We just handed it to the front desk and got our key. I had emailed Ademir the manager with a request for a nice room with a king-sized bed, and my request was fulfilled. We were given room 2217 with a great view. The room had 2 cans of cola and 1 large bottle of water. Some tiny ants on the bathroom counter that stayed the entire week, but they didn't bother me at all.

We were told at the front desk that the deposit for a beach towel was 20 pesos (payable at the front desk), but we could not pick up our towels until 10am the next morning. Oh well, other things to do until then.

There is a 24 hour snack bar that serves sandwiches (ham & cheese), hamburgers, hotdogs, and french fries. Pretty good food, but often a bit of a line up. The buffet was great - lots of variety, and always something freshly prepared: a pasta bar, a grill to get chicken, beef, pork, fish, cooked to your liking. Service was good.

The piano bar made great drinks - anything you like. But at times it was a long wait, only 1 bartender no matter what time of day or night.

The beach bar had great service, never had to wait long for a drink, but not as much variety. Also, there are no restrooms anywhere close to the beach - we walked back and forth from our room.

The beach was spectacular - one of the best we've been to. Crystal clear water, no rocks, coral, or weeds. Smooth, clean sand. Saw a few little fish, and only 2 days of jellyfish. The first day my husband was stung by one. He related it to being stung by a bunch of insects at once. A little painful, but it went away quickly. We saw no other jellyfish until our very last day when we counted 50+ along the shallows, and went to the pool :) Just a note about 'holding chairs' at the beach: We often went down just before breakfast, put our things on a chair, and returned 5-10 minutes later to spend the whole morning. Some days we could not get shade at the beach as people were holding chairs all day without ever going (at least I never saw them claim their chairs). The workers on the beach who clean your chair for you were holding chairs for people too. Sometimes these people would not show up for hours. grrr. Ok, rant over.

The pool was nice, never had a problem getting a seat, or a drink at the swim-up bar.

The lighting was not good at night around the resort, very dark. I can't comment too much on the entertainment either, but the bits we caught looked ok, typical.

For the price, I think we got a good deal. Not sure if I'd go back, but had a good time.

1  Thank zimmyNorthBay
Reviewed December 12, 2009

Note: If you are going to the Blue Bay and live in Ontario around Toronto - London area, and would like to take a suitcase of goods for the Cuban people, I would like to hear from you as I have a suitcase full of goods for them and would like to send it. I will pay the extra money for it. Please write [--]

My review:
This is a new hotel and the buildings and rooms were clean and new. Our room had a sofa plus 2 double beds plus we could see the ocean from the balcony even though it wasn't an ocean room. We found 2 very luxurious beach towels waiting in our room, plus a bottle of champagne, and 3 rums. The staff at this hotel really makes you feel wanted and welcome. They are also very responsive when called for anything. I asked for 3 extra pillows and they were sent immediately.

The buffet was very good always having chicken, pork, fish and beef. They had wonderful tasting fresh fish that you can get cooked right infront of you to your specifications. They have garlic and oil, hot sauce, onions etc. that they cook with your food. We really liked the food. Their salads were also very good. They had leaf lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions plus much more. We really really liked the Italian a la carte! Finally a chef in Cuba who knows how to make a good spaghetti sauce! I ordered spaghetti with the spicy tomato sauce and liked it so much we came back the next night. Howwever, during low season in September, they alternate nights and it was the International restaurant. It was also excellent. Cubans have learned to make really delicious sauces for their meats. I had the port tenderloins covered in a sauce that was absolutely wonderful. The a la carte restaurant was beautifully decorated as were the tables with formal waiters and atmosphere. The buns and butter they served were soft fresh and delicious.

The pool bar has great hamburgers. They made me hamburgers and reuben sandwiches (cooked pressed between the grill till the chese melts) to go for Pilar Beach.

The front desk was responsive and efficient and very accommodating. The pool was large and beautifully done with a swim-up bar. Now the beach: Could there possibly be a more pristine crystal clear perfect white sand beach than this? We have travelled to many beaches but this one takes all. It was in a bay so you did not get heavy waves crashing on you. You could easily swim without fighting waves. This place is perfect for children as it has a very gradual grade and is shallow for a long time. You certainly would never worry about your children's safety here. The water would be at their knees for 50 feet out. There is also good shade on the beach. No problem getting a lounge in the shade. There is also a good beach bar with excellent service.

There were NO mosquitos. We read about mosquitos but we did not see even one! Every night they fog so they have good control on them. The weather was 90 plus degrees with beautiful sun shinny weather. The water was very warm. I loved that! My husband went out fishing the flats with the hotel contact and said the boat and day was very professionally done. Because the hotel was new, the vegetation is still young. In a few years it will have beautifully manicured gardens. We go to the caribbean 3 times a year. To the Mayan Riviera, Punta Cana, Holguin, Santa Maria, etc. and we often go to 5 star resorts. This one was worth far more than they charged for this trip. I would definitely recommend this to people with small kids, couples, and retirees like us. It is a lot of vacation for the money. Cayo Coco is a very safe place also. We always felt perfectly safe. No one trying to sell you things on the beach. Perfect serenity. It is funny, but I liked this hotel better than some of the 5 stars we have been at. The beach is perfect, the a la cartes have superior cuisine and class, the rooms are large. Good reading lights by your bed. All the things I personally like.

Sharon C. Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Melia Jardines del Rey
Melia Jardines del Rey
#9 of 12 in Cayo Coco
Pestana Cayo Coco All Inclusive

Been to Memories Caribe Beach Resort? Share your experiences!